PDA

View Full Version : What's Perfect Riding Weather?

97CSI
04-02-2006, 11:43 AM
Just got back in from our club's first-Sunday-of-the-month Breakfast Ride (couldn't stay for breakfast, unfortunately). I am still tuning my bike so ending up riding alone as I didn't want to hold up the others while I fiddled with seat postion, etc. So did a quick 30 on my own with a NNW breeze of about 10-15mph. No problem, as our back-roads are down in the trees (this is the Pine Barrens) so must be headed almost directly into the wind for any effect. But, the weather was a glorious, sunny 55 degrees. Wonderful. Just the weather for a pair of tights over the riding shorts, a long sleeved jersey (wicking tee underneath) and a windbreaker vest. Couldn't ask for better riding conditions. :)

Tailwinds
04-02-2006, 11:54 AM
If I'm alone, I'm pickier about the weather. If I have the right company to motivate me, I'll ride in the rain, whatever. Today falls under the "weather that is NOT good for riding" category... unless I could just have someone pick me up at the end of the 50 mph tailwind. :rolleyes:

Weather that is perfect for riding -- 70s, sunny, tailwind everywhere you go.

Dr. Doofus
04-02-2006, 02:27 PM
anything over 40 and dry

Kevan
04-02-2006, 02:46 PM
High 60's low 70's, overcast taking the shadows off the roads that play havoc with potholes laying in wait, and a light breeze. That's perfect to me.

I would say we had a perfect winter season. Standards are lowered of coarse, but I was out there practically every weekend doing 30-50 mile rides on one or both days.

rePhil
04-02-2006, 02:52 PM
Here in Sw Florida it's 87 as I type. I was off last week and couldn't have had better weather. It was around 60 when I left and mid to upper 70's when I finished.Just the right amount of wind and lowish humidity (for Florida anyways.)

sjbraun
04-02-2006, 03:18 PM
That would be today here in Tucson. 51degrees at the start, 72 at the finish, no wind, little traffic and blue skies with a smattering of high, thin clouds. Oh, and the good friends, Guinness and cheeseburgers at the end helped too.

Ray
04-02-2006, 03:35 PM
Today. Unbelievably clear blue sky. Got into the low 60s while I was riding. Light base layer, jersey, bib-knickers. Comfortable 55 miles from start to finish - never cold or hot. Didn't have great legs today and I coulda done with a bit less breeze, but don't count any of that as complaining. I'll take todays weather ANYtime.

-Ray

Fixed
04-02-2006, 03:42 PM
bro i like high 60's to low 70 's with light wind that is what i like but I don't mind anything except heavy rain cold and wind all together . cheers

1centaur
04-02-2006, 08:18 PM
74, clear skies, 2 mph wind gusting to 5 mph.

jerk
04-02-2006, 08:19 PM
raining and shi'itey but warm enough to race in shorts and armwarmers. fat people like the jerk love that stuff....no drinking; and all the midgets seem cold and slow.

jerk

Hysbrian
04-02-2006, 08:22 PM
Jerk got it right...any type of weather when I can ride in shorts and longsleeves. ...which includes all of cross season ;)

Erik.Lazdins
04-02-2006, 08:30 PM
For long enough to ride for 5 minutes, by then you will be happy you got out there.

gary135r
04-02-2006, 11:03 PM
anything over 40 and dry
and less than a 30 mph wind imho.

StephenCL
04-02-2006, 11:40 PM
Rain and 55. I love to ride in the rain, have loved it for years. There is something serene about it. Especially in the spring. I loved the start of today's Race, wish it would have rained the whole day.

Stephen

bironi
04-03-2006, 12:51 AM
I know I can't hang with you, but we have the same temperature preference. Kick some a$$ for me, and yourself!

Thanks,
Byron

bigbill
04-03-2006, 02:09 AM
Ten months out of the year I have it here in Hawaii. It has been wet lately, really wet, but the temps are still 80 degrees plus or minus 10 degrees. My commute is East in the morning with pretty much no wind and West in the afternoon with the predominate trade winds coming out of the Northeast. A nice push home. The road conditions are really bad right now with all of the recent flooding. Ginormous potholes and lots of debris are what I encounter constantly in both directions. It is supposed to dry out this week. As far as cycle clothing, I wear SPD sandals and short sleeves year round. I have commuted in the Pacific NW (cold and wet), Norfolk Va (cool and wet winter, hot humid summer), and Charleston SC (ungodly hot and humid in the summer). I was thinking of my days in Charleston on thursday when I was peeling off a sopping wet pair of bib shorts after riding home in a monsoon. I used to sweat that much in South Carolina.

William
04-03-2006, 04:10 AM
I rode the past three days in shorts and a jersey with arm warmers.....perfect. mid 60's, sunny, yeah baby! ;) Though I'll take anything from 40 to 85 as decent. Up to 95 if it's not too humid, but I've been know to go out on hotter days....with plenty of hydration of course.

William