PDA

View Full Version : 29r Stand Over

Cat3roadracer
01-18-2015, 09:22 AM
I just picked up my first 29r, Form Ti, beautiful rig. I'm concerned about the stand over clearance. The frame is a stock large with a 19" seat tube. I will also add that I am 5'10" with an inseam of about 31".

Seated and riding all feels fine, standing over the top tube, feet on the floor I only have about an inch between me and the top tube.

Will this be an issue?

Matthew
01-18-2015, 09:25 AM
Only if your feet come off the pedals.

SlowPokePete
01-18-2015, 09:51 AM
That is PLENTY of room.

Most, I think, don't believe (lack of) standover to be that big of a deal, and you have more that enough.

SPP

gdw
01-18-2015, 10:10 AM
I prefer at least 2 inches on a mountain bike which will be used on rough trails or areas where you might have to make emergency dismounts. Unfortunately most large 29ers don't offer that much clearance if your a medium sized rider so you'll have to get used to leaning the bike to one side while bailing.

SlowPokePete
01-18-2015, 10:21 AM
you'll have to get used to leaning the bike to one side while bailing.

that's what usually happens to me...didn't know there was a choice!

SPP

pakora
01-18-2015, 11:23 AM
Only if your feet come off the pedals.

Yeah, I don't exactly shred the gnar or get rad, but the trails around here are rocky and rooty, and I don't find standover matters that much for my xc hardtail riding.

And if you're in your bare or stocking feet on the floor, add another inch re: shoes.

Cat3roadracer
01-18-2015, 12:36 PM
Thanks for all the replies.

mgm777
01-18-2015, 01:08 PM
When I purchased my Ti 29er, I had the same initial reaction as you did. Unfortunately, I think big wheels dictate a frame design with less stand over clearance. Once you start riding the bike, the lack of stand over clearance will be a non-issue. BTW - I am about the same size as you.

CMiller
01-18-2015, 02:11 PM
I have the same issue. For what it's worth, I have the same standover on my Jamis Dragon, and don't even notice it any more. I've hit the top tube with my "tender parts" a few times, but a lot of those stops were awkward novice bail outs, and as I get more comfortable riding it is much less an issue.

As is said, you ride your bike on the pedals, not the floor! Have fun on the new rig.

Chefrider
01-18-2015, 02:44 PM
That will be fine. You would need more clearance if you're an aggressive rider (jumps, drops, etc.). That is purely an xc rig/race rig. Enjoy! If you're ever in the westchester NY area, I can show you some great trails. We don't have any snow!!