PDA

View Full Version : loser

Climb01742
03-19-2004, 04:51 PM
a day or so ago, someone in a post called someone else a loser.

which got me thinking: is losing so terrible? is winning always better?

i've lost far more running and riding races than i've ever won. but the losing has made be hungrier. and more humble.

people who win all the time are rarely fun to be around.

my seven year old daughter is doing quite a few sports now. i'm trying to teach her about trying. about not giving up. about doing her best. about having fun. i don't particularly want to teach her about the importance of winning.

she has seen me lose a race or two. she's never seen me win a race. she's seen me come home, pretty beaten up after a day at the office. and she's seen me fired up about going back in the next day.

so why is being called a loser so bad? i think losing has taught me more than winning. i hope my daughter never learns to win at all costs.

i don't believe in noble failures, but i do believe in the nobility of trying. especially if its something you're bound to lose. i guess i think there are better reasons for trying than winning.

merlinagilis
03-19-2004, 05:04 PM
You are a loser.

Glad I made your day!!!

HAHAHAAHA

dirtdigger88
03-19-2004, 05:25 PM
It is like loosing the battle but winning the war. I may have lost the race, but I was still on my bike. I may not be a fast as some, but I am faster than others. Most of all, when I go home and see my family happy and healthy. . . I am a winner in the most important event of all, LIFE

Jason

H.Frank Beshear
03-19-2004, 05:40 PM
If I have given my all with heart and soul and been beaten I have not lost, nor am I a loser. As the father of 9year old twins and a 20 year cancer survivor at the end of the day there are many more important issues than who won and who lost. I shall never be fast but I will finish in spite off and because off all that has passed before. I try to instill in my daughters that philosophy,give your all hold nothing back and at the days end hold your head high. Take care Frank

pale scotsman
03-19-2004, 06:32 PM
Hey Climb - Funny you bring that up since I lost today. Only took first runner up at the relay for life womanless beauty pageant. I'm not bitter since there is always next year! :) :beer: :)

PS - The tan line is from the sun. Not trying to rub it in or anything but it was 78* at 5:35 on the way home from my 18 mile ride after work.......

BumbleBeeDave
03-19-2004, 07:07 PM
What’s your sign?

If I told you you have a beautiful body would you hold it against me?

You must be a parking ticket, baby, cuz’ you have “FINE” written all over you!

Are you gonna ride in this dress at owner’s weekend?

BBDave

pale scotsman
03-19-2004, 07:33 PM
BBD - What size did you say the queen bee is? ;) You should have seen the guy that won. He had a full on mardi gras formal and from 10' he looked like a million bucks. Last I heard we raised ~ $400 selling $2 tickets to the show. Only thing is now I've got to live with umpteen snide comments a day for the next few weeks, but alas at least it's helping a good cause.

Kevin
03-19-2004, 08:26 PM
Pale,

You should wear that outfit at Serotta weekend.

Kevin

BumbleBeeDave
03-19-2004, 08:46 PM
I always thought that avatar you had was a picture of YOU!

Yo Baby, you be my Dairy Queen, I'll be your Burger King, you treat me right, and I'll do it your way.

You might not be the best looking girl here,
but beauty is only a light switch away!

:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

Perhaps we should introduce you to “Yale Bonesman!”

BBDave :beer:

Kevin
03-19-2004, 08:49 PM
BBDave,

I am blind again. Please stop with those visual images.

Kevin

BumbleBeeDave
03-19-2004, 08:57 PM
Would you like Gin and platonic, or do you prefer Scotch and sofa?

BBDave :eek:

H.Frank Beshear
03-19-2004, 09:13 PM
Girls will be boys and boys will be girls its a mixed up muffled up shuffled up world said my Lola. Heard the Kinks this am on the radio. Probably wrong on the lirics but girl you look good. Uh well uh I umm, you know what I mean, I hope. You are a braver man than I Pale nicely done Frank.

BumbleBeeDave
03-19-2004, 09:20 PM
You're so hot you melt the plastic in my underwear! :eek:

BBD

slowgoing
03-19-2004, 10:27 PM
I think there's a little more to being called a "loser" than having lost a race or two. I think it generally means you are a loser in the game of life, or in the things that the insulter believes are important in life.

Climb, you can try to rationalize it all you want, but it's still not a very nice thing to say (which is exactly what it was said).

jpw
03-20-2004, 02:00 AM
As i said, 'loser' is the call of the Darwinian (Dumbo)'. Hopefully it is dying out...rapidly.

Climb01742
03-20-2004, 05:37 AM
loser is used an insult. and i also hope its going to fade out of use. whether used as an insult in life or sports, it does betray a skewed priority. doing well in life is important. i guess i'd draw the distinction between how we do well. at all costs vs with honor and ethics? how we win is important too.

a great aspect of this forum is how in the midst of a thread on losing, we delve into crossdressing. cool. pale, you're a braver man than me, too. :banana:

Kevin
03-20-2004, 05:57 AM
BBDave,

Why are you wearing plastic underwear? Have you developed a bed wetting problem in your old age? Possibly you get overexcited everytime you see the Queen Bee? There seems to be a problem here.

Kevin

Tom
03-20-2004, 07:43 AM
of The Phantom. I'm also growing concerned.