PDA

View Full Version : helppp: rotor keeps making noise..

ivanooze
01-17-2015, 01:21 PM
-so im working on this mtn. bike. No matter what i do, whether it be adjust the calipers, true the rotor, or even warranty the front wheel, i cannot get the sound of the rotor hitting the caliper out when i put torque down while i ride the bike. any suggestions anyone?

JAGI410
01-17-2015, 01:30 PM
Adjust the hub and crank down on the skewer?

gdw
01-17-2015, 02:19 PM
What model brake are you using? Have you had the mounts faced?

abalone
01-17-2015, 03:10 PM
Thru Axles really help with the annoying disc rotor rub when out of the saddle, particularly on the front fork. You could take it to a shop and see if the disc is straight and aligned. A lot of times discs get a little banged up from wheel changes and whatnot. A good bike shop has tools and may be able to true up your disc if it needs it.

ivanooze
01-17-2015, 03:23 PM
diamondback recoil comp. (the black white and gray one)
--hayes mx5 calipers
-tektro levers

peanutgallery
01-17-2015, 04:46 PM
Make sure the rotor is true and back off on the inboard pad about 1/8 to a quarter turn, give yourself plenty of space on the outboard side. Keep in mind that only the outboard pad moves when actuating the lever. If it works on the stand but not on the trail, dirt is getting in there. Cable disc has limitations because you basically just deflect the rotor into a stationary pad. Rare is it perfect for long

Bruce K
01-17-2015, 05:10 PM
Maybe dumb question but are the rotors original to the calipers or have they been replaced?

Had a similar issue in a cross bike when mixing rotor and caliper makers

Using the "correct" calipers mad it all better

BK

Mikej
01-17-2015, 05:14 PM
Buy some xt's- seriously, the rotor isn't flexing. The frame is bringing out the worst of your mismatch components.

ivanooze
01-17-2015, 10:00 PM
Maybe dumb question but are the rotors original to the calipers or have they been replaced?

Had a similar issue in a cross bike when mixing rotor and caliper makers

Using the "correct" calipers mad it all better

BK

rotors are the same ones that came with the caliper

ivanooze
01-17-2015, 10:01 PM
Buy some xt's- seriously, the rotor isn't flexing. The frame is bringing out the worst of your mismatch components.

sucks because everything is stock on the bike.

ivanooze
01-17-2015, 10:04 PM
havent taken it to the trail. there's plenty of spacing between the rotor and the caliper.
-everytime i put torque down and move the bike side to side to pick up speed the rotor starts to hit.
-even when making a hard turn the rotor will start to hit the caliper.

gah this sucks...

Mikej
01-18-2015, 09:04 AM
Yeah I googled the frame - most likely rear triangle flex or hub axle flex. Kinda get what you pay for. Just ride it till it breaks and upgrade.

Mr_Gimby
01-18-2015, 09:21 AM
You could try cranking the hell out of the QR skewer, but really nothing is gonna fix a flexy frame or fork.

Is it a new bike? Usually once brakes get bedded in that rotor/pad interface will get quieter, less of a sandpapery sound coming from it.

HillDancer
01-18-2015, 11:34 AM
...the rotor will start to hit the caliper...
Caliper body, or brake pad? If the caliper body is in contact, could be the caliper is too low and/or the post mount faces are not square to the axle.

Face the post mounts, purchase alignment shims http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/201087097633?lpid=82&chn=ps , use a micrometer or caliper to determine shim thicknesses, adjust caliper height so there is a narrow space on the rotor edge that is unswept by the pad, align caliper and torque to spec, alternating bolts in increments, do not exceed torque spec.

ivanooze
01-19-2015, 01:03 AM
Caliper body, or brake pad? If the caliper body is in contact, could be the caliper is too low and/or the post mount faces are not square to the axle.

Face the post mounts, purchase alignment shims http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/201087097633?lpid=82&chn=ps , use a micrometer or caliper to determine shim thicknesses, adjust caliper height so there is a narrow space on the rotor edge that is unswept by the pad, align caliper and torque to spec, alternating bolts in increments, do not exceed torque spec.

i dont think it's the caliper body. if the caliper body makes contact it will usually be at the highest point of the rotor im assuming. I dont think that's where the sound is originating from. Plus i would be pretty confused if they built up a brand new bike with calipers that are to low for the rotors.

ivanooze
01-19-2015, 01:04 AM
You could try cranking the hell out of the QR skewer, but really nothing is gonna fix a flexy frame or fork.

Is it a new bike? Usually once brakes get bedded in that rotor/pad interface will get quieter, less of a sandpapery sound coming from it.

it's a 2 month old bike

ivanooze
01-19-2015, 01:05 AM
Yeah I googled the frame - most likely rear triangle flex or hub axle flex. Kinda get what you pay for. Just ride it till it breaks and upgrade.

im starting to think that it is the flex in the frame. pretty crappy how that happens to new bikes but ehh :/