PDA

View Full Version : XTR compatibility

rob137
04-01-2006, 11:31 PM
I had XTR on a hardtail mountain bike. I have sold the frame but kept the components. I am looking to install them on a cross bike. Can I use XTR crank, FD, RD and brakes with say Ultegra 9 speed STI shifters instead of the XTR shifters?

Louis
04-01-2006, 11:37 PM
The STI 9spd shifter will be compatible with a 9spd MTB rear der.

I've done it with a DT 9spd shifter, but that's the same as 9spd STI. My rear der is an XT, but that's the same as XTR. Just make sure you don't accidentally get one of the funky new rear ders that works backwards from the "regular" style. Can't remember if it's high-normal, or low-normal. One is normal, the other not.

Can't say for the front, never done it.

Louis

I just read you post more closely - you already have a R der, so ignore the high vs low normal stuff I said.

dave thompson
04-02-2006, 12:24 AM
Front dérailleur won't be compatible with the STI shifters but the rear dérailleur will work perfectly.

Erik.Lazdins
04-02-2006, 07:48 AM
I had that combo and rode it for a while - worked great. All components were road except the XTR deraileur.

rob137
04-02-2006, 07:57 AM
Front dérailleur won't be compatible with the STI shifters but the rear dérailleur will work perfectly.

So could I use the XTR RD and Brakes with Ultegra crank and FD and STI shifters.

I love the XTR Crank, is there anyway to use it with road shifters?

dave thompson
04-02-2006, 09:14 AM
So could I use the XTR RD and Brakes with Ultegra crank and FD and STI shifters.

You can use the crank but you will have to find a road dérailleur that will work. I don't have any experiences with a front dérailleur in this application so I'm of no help there.

Regarding using you XTR brakes with STI shifters. The shifters don't have enough travel to fully actuate your linear brakes so you will have to install a device to compensate for this. It's call a Travel Agent, it's pretty common so I would think most shops would have it or could get it easily. A description is here: http://www.bikemannetwork.com/biking/p/CXSP/BR0411

Louis
04-02-2006, 11:14 AM

Yes: Friction DT or Bar End left shifter !!! (Though I doubt that's what you want do...)