PDA

View Full Version : Prices to increase April 17th

Johny
04-01-2006, 11:01 PM
Sorry...this is not a joke.

http://www.serotta.com/pages/current.html

The worldwide demand for titanium and carbon fiber products has skyrocketed (think airplanes, military) over the past 24 months leading to raw materials shortages and price increases by as much as 50% from some suppliers.

Since our 2006 pricing was announced last August, we have incurred numerous raw materials price increases that, until now, we have absorbed in an effort to stabilize pricing. However, recent additional increases leave us no choice but to pass on a potion in the form of new pricing.

In order to minimize the impact on certain models we will be raising the MSRP of all frames by $100 and all forks by $35. This increase will take effect on all orders placed from April 17, 2006 onward. Any complete order in the system by this date will be invoiced at the original 2006 pricing.

Thank you for your understanding.

Sandy
04-01-2006, 11:07 PM
I am considering getting a steel CDA. If carbon and titanium are increasing in price, then why is Serotta also increasing the price on their steel bikes?

Yes, I know that Serotta can do anything that it wants to relative to its products. Just wondering.

STeel Serotta Sandy??

Johny
04-01-2006, 11:13 PM
In order to minimize the impact on certain models we will be raising the MSRP of all frames by $100 and all forks by $35.

Oh this makes a MeiVici frame $7095...only an increase of 1% and...makes a painted F3 fork $720.

Sandy
04-01-2006, 11:19 PM
Does Serotta make any $100 custom frames? If so, an increase of $100 would be a 100 % increase. :)

Sandy

Sandy
04-01-2006, 11:26 PM
Thanks for the clarification. I did not read the post carefuly enough. It is being done so that certain models will not be receiving the brunt of the increases in prices of carbon and ti.

Sandy

Ken Robb
04-01-2006, 11:26 PM
Raising all prices $100 seems like a big mistake to me. It's a drop in the bucket for someone contemplating a Meivici but could be a deal-breaker for a buyer of more modest means considering a Fierte or CDA.

Consider this bogus news item: GM raises prices on Chevy Cobalts with cloth seats so GM doesn't have to raise prices on Cadillac Escalades enough to truly reflect the increased price for upholstery leather.

Let them eat cake!

It fits with replacing a well-attended open house at the factory with a European tour for the rich and famous.

Maybe they should raise the price of steel Serottas $1000 and give free transport to Ottrot for buyers of Meivicis?

rob137
04-01-2006, 11:36 PM
Raising all prices $100 seems like a big mistake to me. It's a drop in the bucket for someone contemplating a Meivici but could be a deal-breaker for a buyer of more modest means considering a Fierte or CDA.

Consider this bogus news item: GM raises prices on Chevy Cobalts with cloth seats so GM doesn't have to raise prices on Cadillac Escalades enough to truly reflect the increased price for upholstery leather.

Let them eat cake!

It fits with replacing a well-attended open house at the factory with a European tour for the rich and famous.

Maybe they should raise the price of steel Serottas $1000 and give free transport to Ottrot for buyers of Meivicis?

Great post. This policy makes no sense at all!

Johny
04-01-2006, 11:40 PM
Great post. This policy makes no sense at all!

You guys mean the tax cut? :) :p ;) :rolleyes:

Sandy
04-01-2006, 11:44 PM

Let them eat cake!

I was wondering about that also. If someone buys a MeiVici, an extra $100 will be absolutely meaningless, but an extra $100 on a Fierte or a CDA might make a significant difference in deciding to even buy a Serotta.

You make a lot of sense in what you are saying in your post. A lot of what Serotta does is a function of its clientele. We all know that the MeiVici is not aimed at the masses. I sometimes think that two of the reasons that the MeiVici is priced so high is that it there is some exclusivity to owning one, and the thinking that since it is the most costly, it must be the best. Of course the research and start up costs are very meaningful, in addition to the fact that the MeiVici is undoubtedly one fine bike. If you are going to sell x units, then you might as well make it worthwhile to you. But then again, what do I possibly know about what motivates Serotta.

MeiVici Mirman

Lincoln
04-02-2006, 01:39 AM
I agree with most of what Sandy and Ken and rob have said, however "The lady doth protest too much, methinks."

A MeiVici buyer is less likely to notice the difference than a Fierte buyer but come on now, even the least expensive frame is not exactly at a price point where $100 is likely to make someone choose maker "A" over maker "B."

Find a muse HERE (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=13448) and I bet you can come up with a few easy ways to save $100 on the rest of the build kit.

bostondrunk
04-02-2006, 02:20 AM
Oh this makes a MeiVici frame $7095...only an increase of 1% and...makes a painted F3 fork $720.

Retarded price for a frame/fork....

OldDog
04-02-2006, 06:32 AM

Buy lugged steel and support your local framebuilder.

Smiley
04-02-2006, 08:12 AM
Sandy and All , the prices for all materials have gone way UP , this includes Steel , Titanium for sure and carbon my guess is yes too. Don't fool yourself to this that Carbon steel goods have not gone up . Just ask any steel fabricator, fact is ask BruceK and he'll tell you how much steel has gone up as he fab's custom steel for buildings .
May I also add that since Serotta no longer Brazes that they will probably see a WHOPPING electric rate increase for their electric tig welders soon for Ti and steel assemby and that does not include the cost to run their A/C and gas ovens for their paint booths. Yes unless you want quality to go down prices must go up.

my Steel Uniscasi is shipped and on its way to Merryland :)

Dr. Doofus
04-02-2006, 08:16 AM
pay the piper or shut up

Big Dan
04-02-2006, 09:55 AM
100 dollars that I don't have and 100 dollars I'm not going to spend makes 200 dollars that I made this morning. Thanks guys....... :hello: