PDA

View Full Version : Chorus vs. Record/Super Record?

merlincustom1
01-17-2015, 04:09 AM
I have a '99 Merlin Extralight with '99 Record 9. It's my daily driver and has performed flawlessly and still does. Aside from jockey wheels and rebuilding the shifter body innards, no issues in 16 years. Lately I seem to have the urge for something new. I have zero interest in a switch to DA or Red. I'm 6'6" and have always run 180 cranks, but I have a Pegoretti fixed with Pista 170s, so I don't think the Chorus 175 will be an issue.

My question is whether I'd really notice any functional difference between these groups, enough to justify the big price difference. Shifting feel or brake feel, for instance. I also have large hands, and wonder if the large hand insert of SR is something I'd need, if that might also be available for separate purchase for the Chorus levers, or if the Chorus levers are big enough as is. I imagine the 2015 Chorus lever is nicer than my '99 Record anyway. Any thoughts are appreciated.

soulspinner
01-17-2015, 06:30 AM
No performance difference you will feel. You will feel a front shifting and braking difference from your old group though.

oldpotatoe
01-17-2015, 06:34 AM
I have a '99 Merlin Extralight with '99 Record 9. It's my daily driver and has performed flawlessly and still does. Aside from jockey wheels and rebuilding the shifter body innards, no issues in 16 years. Lately I seem to have the urge for something new. I have zero interest in a switch to DA or Red. I'm 6'6" and have always run 180 cranks, but I have a Pegoretti fixed with Pista 170s, so I don't think the Chorus 175 will be an issue.

My question is whether I'd really notice any functional difference between these groups, enough to justify the big price difference. Shifting feel or brake feel, for instance. I also have large hands, and wonder if the large hand insert of SR is something I'd need, if that might also be available for separate purchase for the Chorus levers, or if the Chorus levers are big enough as is. I imagine the 2015 Chorus lever is nicer than my '99 Record anyway. Any thoughts are appreciated.

No functional difference at all. In fact, the shift guts and small bits and innards are the same throughout the top 3 groups. Take away Ti bits from SR->REcord, take some 'ceramic' bits from Record->Chorus.

AS for the inserts, you get them with the levers, in the box.

Altho some talk about the 'Gumby' look of the levers, they are the most comfy and ergonomic ever, IMHO. Plus 'they go to 11'.

FlashUNC
01-17-2015, 08:21 AM
I'll be a bit different here. Chorus levers with first a Chorus RD and then a Super Record RD. The SR definitely feels stiffer. Maybe just because its newer, but it is something I noticed. Worth the price difference or a huge performance difference? No.

So yeah, Chorus is great. No shame if you want the other stuff, just know it won't perform hugely different.

Black Dog
01-17-2015, 08:25 AM
I'll be a bit different here. Chorus levers with first a Chorus RD and then a Super Record RD. The SR definitely feels stiffer. Maybe just because its newer, but it is something I noticed. Worth the price difference or a huge performance difference? No.

So yeah, Chorus is great. No shame if you want the other stuff, just know it won't perform hugely different.

How does one RD feel stiffer than another? The only contact you have is with a shift lever.

FlashUNC
01-17-2015, 08:37 AM
The shift at the lever was different. Felt like less play with the RD making the shift.

I'm not saying it was night and day or anything. But with the same set of levers the rear shift did feel a touch less spongy. As I said, I could easily chalk it up to used RD vs new, but that feeling hasn't changed in a couple months of riding.

Is it a make or break thing? Not at all. Both shift fantastic.

oldpotatoe
01-17-2015, 08:47 AM
The shift at the lever was different. Felt like less play with the RD making the shift.

I'm not saying it was night and day or anything. But with the same set of levers the rear shift did feel a touch less spongy. As I said, I could easily chalk it up to used RD vs new, but that feeling hasn't changed in a couple months of riding.

Is it a make or break thing? Not at all. Both shift fantastic.

Make sure the wee bolts in the front and back of the shifter(s) are tight.

Black Dog
01-17-2015, 10:08 AM
Old Spud, I think that he is saying that the RD feels stiffer after he replaced a chorus for a new super record RD. I can not for the life of me imagine how there could be a different feel at the shifter between the two RD's. (not saying that it is not possible). I would suspect that beyond placebo the adjustment could be different and this would create a perceived difference in feel at the shifter. The carbon body and cage of the super record is not stiffer than the aluminum chorus just lighter.

FlashUNC
01-17-2015, 12:35 PM
Old Spud, I think that he is saying that the RD feels stiffer after he replaced a chorus for a new super record RD. I can not for the life of me imagine how there could be a different feel at the shifter between the two RD's. (not saying that it is not possible). I would suspect that beyond placebo the adjustment could be different and this would create a perceived difference in feel at the shifter. The carbon body and cage of the super record is not stiffer than the aluminum chorus just lighter.

It could be adjustment, it could be a dozen different things. Just sharing my experience. Same shifters, same cable. Nothing changed other than the RD. Maybe a bit more cable tension? Possible though the same shop/mechanic set both up. Springs on the Chorus maybe a bit more worn vs a new Super Record? Also possible.

Both shifted great and I really don't think you can go wrong either way.

Black Dog
01-17-2015, 01:16 PM
It could be adjustment, it could be a dozen different things. Just sharing my experience. Same shifters, same cable. Nothing changed other than the RD. Maybe a bit more cable tension? Possible though the same shop/mechanic set both up. Springs on the Chorus maybe a bit more worn vs a new Super Record? Also possible.

Both shifted great and I really don't think you can go wrong either way.

I do not in any way deny what you have experienced. If you feel it you feel it. I am just curious if there would be a perceptible difference between the RD's with all else being equal. :)

FlashUNC
01-17-2015, 01:34 PM
I do not in any way deny what you have experienced. If you feel it you feel it. I am just curious if there would be a perceptible difference between the RD's with all else being equal. :)

Just to clarify, the difference is nearly all in the lever shifter, not the thumb shifter. Its all the going up the cassette to larger gears, not shifting down the range to the small stuff. The thumb button feels identical.

My gut says probably not and there's too many variables at play.

merlincustom1
01-17-2015, 04:41 PM
Thank you, gentlemen.

rounder
01-17-2015, 07:44 PM
I have Record 10 on two bikes and Chorus 11 on two bikes. They all seem fine to me. When I shift the 10-speed bikes go chink chink while the 11 speed bikes go chunk chunk. Everything happens fast. They all work fine.

Jaq
01-18-2015, 02:34 AM
I was thinking of upgrading my Waterford with Campy SR 11... but honestly, I'm past the point that I can eek every last bit of performance out of gear like that, so instead, I'm going to keep the alloy look and put on Athena alloy 11.

The stuff's durable, beautiful, and I'll get more speed outta my rides by skipping a couple cheeseburgers than bleeding edge gear.

oldpotatoe
01-18-2015, 05:32 AM

I understand, I'm just saying that the ultrashift levers need to have the wee 3mm bolts on each end checked for tight every once in a while.

I think the 'feel' difference is almost certainly a older vs new, rear derailleur.

Black Dog
01-18-2015, 06:21 AM
I understand, I'm just saying that the ultrashift levers need to have the wee 3mm bolts on each end checked for tight every once in a while.

I think the 'feel' difference is almost certainly a older vs new, rear derailleur.

Where are these 3mm bolts? I have a few sets of ultra shift levers that have seen more than a few miles would certainly be ready for a check like this.

oldpotatoe
01-18-2015, 06:31 AM
Where are these 3mm bolts? I have a few sets of ultra shift levers that have seen more than a few miles would certainly be ready for a check like this.

Take lever off, the one you see in the back. Need to remove brake lever for the one in front. The brake lever pin is unidirectional..I have 'overhauled' more than a few, where either the shift lever or thumb button doesn't seem to 'engage', and all is needed is a tightening of these bolts. A little blue loctite isn't a bad idea.

Righty-tighty for both. EC-SR-007 and the one in front, doesn't have a nmber.

Black Dog
01-18-2015, 12:33 PM
Thanks.

soulspinner
01-18-2015, 01:10 PM
I was thinking of upgrading my Waterford with Campy SR 11... but honestly, I'm past the point that I can eek every last bit of performance out of gear like that, so instead, I'm going to keep the alloy look and put on Athena alloy 11.

The stuff's durable, beautiful, and I'll get more speed outta my rides by skipping a couple cheeseburgers than bleeding edge gear.

My thinking too....