PDA

View Full Version : Shim 26.0 to 26.4 - Help

msl819
01-16-2015, 07:09 PM
Alright... I bought a set of Soma Hwy One's (26.0) and a Cinelli stem (That is apparently 26.4). I know you can shim bars. What have you guys had the best luck with given this issue. Problem Solver as a 25.4 to 26.0 shim. Would a set of those do the trick? Or is this a bad idea all together?

http://problemsolversbike.com/products/handlebar_shims/

donevwil
01-16-2015, 07:50 PM
Grab some .008" shim stock and cut (with good scissors) to fit. Just short of one full wrap of the bar (do not overlap) and you're good to go. I've done this on my commuter (built with part I had on hand) and it's perfectly solid.

DfCas
01-16-2015, 08:07 PM
You can also use a 26.8 to 27.2 seat post shim and trim as needed.

Mr_Gimby
01-16-2015, 10:37 PM
Nitto makes some real fancy stainless shims, but they may be meant for 25.4-->26.0 setups. That said, I bet they would be close enough that they might work, trimming potentially necessary.

lhuerta
01-16-2015, 10:50 PM
...the problemsolver shim is the BEST idea and in a bind use a Sapporo tallboy beer can (thickest beer can made). Start buy taking a Coke can sheet (thin and pliable) and insert inside stem clamp, draw pattern, and then use it to cut shim from stock.

oldpotatoe
01-17-2015, 06:39 AM
Alright... I bought a set of Soma Hwy One's (26.0) and a Cinelli stem (That is apparently 26.4). I know you can shim bars. What have you guys had the best luck with given this issue. Problem Solver as a 25.4 to 26.0 shim. Would a set of those do the trick? Or is this a bad idea all together?

http://problemsolversbike.com/products/handlebar_shims/

The issue with shims and drop bars is the force/downward torque of the handlebars on a shimmed stem. 'May' slip, regardless of how tight the bolt is.

Nitto also makes a 25.4 to 26mm shim. I'd try 'em. Best idea(well duh) is to get a 26mm stem, ya know Cinelli is making them again. in 26mm

msl819
01-17-2015, 07:29 AM
The issue with shims and drop bars is the force/downward torque of the handlebars on a shimmed stem. 'May' slip, regardless of how tight the bolt is.

Nitto also makes a 25.4 to 26mm shim. I'd try 'em. Best idea(well duh) is to get a 26mm stem, ya know Cinelli is making them again. in 26mm

Sure... There are always those options. The stem is a Serotta pantographed stem that I would really like to try use. That said the bars are more important to me than the stem and neither is worth a catastrophe. I am just seeking a good solution if there is one. Plus it is January so who isn't spending more time tinkering than riding.

Black Dog
01-17-2015, 07:48 AM
I have the same setup you are talking about on my Serotta CII. Cinelli 26.4 XA stem with 26.0 emerson civia bars (identical to the HWY 1's). Do not try aluminum shims, it is too soft (malleable) and you will have to use a larger shim thickness to compensate for the amount of crush that tightening the bars will cause. This means that you will have to really pry the stem open with a large screwdriver, flat wrench etc.. It will be very hard to get the shim in and it will slip after a few rides anyway, even with a lot of carbon (friction) paste. I learned this the hard way.

Your best bet is steel shim stock. Any machine shop will have tons or find a millwright, or metalworking supply store, even amazon sells tons of it. Use carbon paste and tighten the stem down well and you are good to go. The only other solution is to get a deda murex stem or a nitto stem. I would use a shim if I had a panato'ed Serotta stem i would use it. I have some shim stock left over and if you PM me your address I will stick it in an envelope and mail it to you, gratis.

Mr_Gimby
01-18-2015, 10:44 AM
Sure... There are always those options. The stem is a Serotta pantographed stem that I would really like to try use. That said the bars are more important to me than the stem and neither is worth a catastrophe. I am just seeking a good solution if there is one. Plus it is January so who isn't spending more time tinkering than riding.

If you can't make it work and wanna sell that stem, PM me, been looking for one for my Colorado.

yummygooey
01-18-2015, 12:06 PM
i have nitto noodles and a 26.4 cinelli stem. i used two layers of an arizona can... 4000 miles later and it hasn't slipped yet.