PDA

View Full Version : Physical Size of ultra endurance racers

elcolombiano
01-16-2015, 01:01 PM
My friend tells me that all ultra endurance racers that participate in events like the race across america and Paris Brest Paris (obviously easier than the RAAM and not a race) are physically large people (tall and heavy) and that short and lightweight persons are at a big disadvantage. I don't believe this. Women compete in this event and are not large. I could not find any information on statistics on the size of these athletes. Does anyone here know?

I know one women in my bike club that recently became a pro racer. She only weighs 107lbs. She will put the hurt on anybody and can ride that way regardless of terrain for 6 hours straight or more.

My freind told me if I tried to do Paris Brest Paris I would be at a big disadvantage (5'7", 135lbs) since it was relatively flat.

Thanks.

vav
01-16-2015, 01:37 PM
Colombiano; tu amigo is pulling your legs: ;)

http://www.runnersworld.com/elite-runners/the-incredible-shrinking-marathoner

jr59
01-16-2015, 02:03 PM
Your friend may very well be mistaken. PBP isn't flat. It may not be triple bypass, or the death ride, but it isn't flat.

Besides, rando events are not a race. Ramm is, but not BPB or any other 1200k!

BdaGhisallo
01-16-2015, 02:06 PM
When you're on the flat, power to weight ratios aren't that important. What matters is absolute power output. Big guys tend to have more muscle and can put out higher power than the whippets.

When the colombian climbers started racing the Tour back in the early 80s, it didn't take long for the GC contenders (and no big dudes themselves, but bigger and more powerful than the colombians) to realize they could put the hurt on them during the flat stages. The little climbers didn't have the power to hang on easily in the crosswinds and such and by the time they got to the mountains, a good number of them were fried and were less of a threat to the GC guys.

tumbler
01-16-2015, 02:15 PM
I'm no expert, but almost every endurance sport I can think of (marathon running, grand tour cycling, free climbing el capitan, etc) is dominated by thin people. I can see height occasionally being an advantage or disadvantage depending on the activity, but I find it very hard to believe that weight could be an advantage in many ultra endurance events.

ptourkin
01-16-2015, 02:18 PM
I weighed 133 at the start of the 508 this year. I'm 5'7".
It is true that many of the riders I see at California Triple Crown events are larger than a typical cyclist and still great climbers on tough doubles.

fiamme red
01-16-2015, 02:20 PM
I can see height occasionally being an advantage or disadvantage depending on the activity, but I find it very hard to believe that weight could be an advantage in many ultra endurance events.Maybe in ultra-endurance downhill skiing or bobsledding? :)

FastforaSlowGuy
01-16-2015, 02:26 PM
I'm no expert, but almost every endurance sport I can think of (marathon running, grand tour cycling, free climbing el capitan, etc) is dominated by thin people. I can see height occasionally being an advantage or disadvantage depending on the activity, but I find it very hard to believe that weight could be an advantage in many ultra endurance events.

Exception: long-distance, open-water swimming. See those men/women in person, and they look a LOT different than the lean folks you see doing laps at the pool.

Mark McM
01-16-2015, 03:50 PM
The population size of ultra-endurance athletes probably isn't big enough to make a good comparison to the general population.

In addition, the characteristics that make for a good ultra-endurance athlete (i.e., the metabolic capacity to produce power for a long, long time, as well as the mental capacity for the motivation to continue for a long, long time) don't necessarily correlate large or small body size, or even large or small muscles.

I've known a few ultra-endurance cyclists, and I can't say I've noticed a general trend. Some were thin, and some were stocky. Some were tall, and some were short. The main thing they had in common was the ability and motivation to ride for a long, long time.

Louis
01-16-2015, 04:07 PM
Maybe in ultra-endurance downhill skiing or bobsledding? :)

http://www.lifeinitaly.com/sites/default/files/styles/extralarge/public/ifimage/alberto-tomba.jpg?itok=BXn81oui

ptourkin
01-16-2015, 06:22 PM
The population size of ultra-endurance athletes probably isn't big enough to make a good comparison to the general population.

In addition, the characteristics that make for a good ultra-endurance athlete (i.e., the metabolic capacity to produce power for a long, long time, as well as the mental capacity for the motivation to continue for a long, long time) don't necessarily correlate large or small body size, or even large or small muscles.

I've known a few ultra-endurance cyclists, and I can't say I've noticed a general trend. Some were thin, and some were stocky. Some were tall, and some were short. The main thing they had in common was the ability and motivation to ride for a long, long time.

This. The last phrase.

Peter B
01-16-2015, 09:38 PM
5'-8", 145-155# here. Nearly 50 doubles, 2 PBPs (one fixed), RM1200, GRR 1200, OBM1000, team 508, brevets, brevets, brevets. We come in all sizes.

Tony
01-16-2015, 10:18 PM

This

elcolombiano
01-17-2015, 12:42 AM
Thanks a lot guys.

Uncle Jam's Army
01-17-2015, 04:04 AM
http://www.lifeinitaly.com/sites/default/files/styles/extralarge/public/ifimage/alberto-tomba.jpg?itok=BXn81oui

What happened to Alberto? Did he take up RAAM training?

roydyates
01-17-2015, 07:17 AM
Exception: long-distance, open-water swimming. See those men/women in person, and they look a LOT different than the lean folks you see doing laps at the pool.
Makes sense given that a whale is probably the ultimate long-distance swimming mammal.