PDA

View Full Version : Salsa La Cruz Disc - Thoughts?

AndreasM
01-16-2015, 10:58 AM
Forum -

Orange like my old Poprad, OX Platinum like my old Poprad, but taller head tube which is great for my new fit needs, and disc brakes.

Anyone own one/ridden one? Looking at a decent local deal but don't see much chatter about it like Poprad.

Thanks!

commonguy001
01-16-2015, 11:32 AM
I had one for years and only recently sold it after I bought a Ti Warbird.
Not overly light and at the time there wasn't a good carbon fork option to lighten the front end (now you can do the full carbon Ritchey).

Overall it's a great bike and I logged a ton of all road miles on it. There is a ton of tire clearance and it handled well. BB is a bit high but was very normal at 65mm drop for when it was made. Salsa also had strange size numbering back then so make sure you're looking at the virtual top tube measurement.

AndreasM
01-16-2015, 11:41 AM
Thanks for the response

I am concerned about the size before going out to see it. It's a 57cm which carries a 595mm horizontal, but the seat tube extends past the TT and it seems like they are measuring at the furthest point in the diagram.

I was riding a 57cm Poprad previously.

Does it rip? Reviews are solid, but more in the "I rode 100 miles on mixed terrain it and it was great".

Thanks again

wallymann
01-16-2015, 11:42 AM
i looked long and hard at getting one last year when i was entering the gravelbike fray.

loved the orange paint and the overall vibe, but the thing is heavy. i dont need super-light bikes, but i dont find porky bikes much to my liking anymore -- wasnt keen on adding yet another heavy steel bike to my fleet. also, the geometry wasnt quite as fast-road-biased as i wanted.

so i went a different direction, but there's alot to like about the la-cruz if it lines up with your wants!

AndreasM
01-16-2015, 11:56 AM
i looked long and hard at getting one last year when i was entering the gravelbike fray.

loved the orange paint and the overall vibe, but the thing is heavy. i dont need super-light bikes, but i dont find porky bikes much to my liking anymore -- wasnt keen on adding yet another heavy steel bike to my fleet. also, the geometry wasnt quite as fast-road-biased as i wanted.

so i went a different direction, but there's alot to like about the la-cruz if it lines up with your wants!

Thanks for that!

I'm ok with a heavier frame, more concerned on the size and perhaps a more sluggish ride than I'd be into.

The All-City Macho Man Disc is another counter-point, but I was hoping this would be nicer with the True Temper steel.

commonguy001
01-16-2015, 11:58 AM
Depending on how tall you are the 57 (Assuming your 57 Pop fit well) is probably going to be huge.
I ride a 57-58 TT and the 55 (Salsa sizing) was about perfect on this bike.

I'd say the ride was less than lively, not sure why really but think it probably had to do with the builds I had on it over the years. I also think the frame itself was over 5 pounds, probably closer to 5.5 which was surprising as it had OX tubes.

AndreasM
01-16-2015, 12:16 PM
Word from a 57cm previous owner and forum-ite is that the size should work - any other thoughts would be welcome!

It seems like a good deal for OX and discs, and at 200lbs, I'm not all that lithe either.

wallymann
01-16-2015, 12:17 PM
I'd say the ride was less than lively

long chainstays, long front-center, long fork-legs.

notoriousdjw
01-16-2015, 01:50 PM
I have one in the garage and have used it as my do-everything bike for the past 18 months. It was my cross race rig the past 2 seasons as well as winter/rain bike and I've definitely enjoyed it. It isn't particularly light and is probably 6.5lbs as a frameset (4.5lb frame, 1.9lb fork) or thereabouts. The other minor complaint isn't directed specifically at the La Cruz but steel disc forks don't have quite as much give as a steel fork for rim brakes. It makes sense because the fork must transmit braking loads but is regrettable nonetheless.

Front end geo is slack but that never bothered me and the bike can handle fenders and a rear rack. The seatstay mounted caliper will require a bracket to mount a rack and clear the caliper.

Paint has a subtle pearl effect when clean and the bike has generally good fit and finish. As was mentioned a Ritchey carbon/carbon fork is now available which would drop a pound from the front end if you want to lighten things up a bit.

So I can't compare it to the Poprad but it is a nice bike capable of doing a little bit of everything.

AndreasM
01-16-2015, 01:58 PM
I have one in the garage and have used it as my do-everything bike for the past 18 months. It was my cross race rig the past 2 seasons as well as winter/rain bike and I've definitely enjoyed it. It isn't particularly light and is probably 6.5lbs as a frameset (4.5lb frame, 1.9lb fork) or thereabouts. The other minor complaint isn't directed specifically at the La Cruz but steel disc forks don't have quite as much give as a steel fork for rim brakes. It makes sense because the fork must transmit braking loads but is regrettable nonetheless.

Front end geo is slack but that never bothered me and the bike can handle fenders and a rear rack. The seatstay mounted caliper will require a bracket to mount a rack and clear the caliper.

Paint has a subtle pearl effect when clean and the bike has generally good fit and finish. As was mentioned a Ritchey carbon/carbon fork is now available which would drop a pound from the front end if you want to lighten things up a bit.

So I can't compare it to the Poprad but it is a nice bike capable of doing a little bit of everything.

Thanks for the input! Awesome review, think I need to just go and ride the damn thing.

AndreasM
01-16-2015, 02:38 PM
long chainstays, long front-center, long fork-legs.

Valid point - I did a back of the envelope on geos, and its actually pretty close to a Poprad on and not all that off from an All-City MM Disc.

Obviously this is mostly speculative, but might work out.

Exonerv
01-16-2015, 03:19 PM
I have one. My wife loved the paint so much, she claimed it. They call it "Orange Pop" which I think describes it pretty well.

It is a might heavy, with a 105 group and Delgado 29er race rims, but rolls and rides nice. My notes shows it weighs in at 24.4 lbs.

gomango
01-16-2015, 04:12 PM
My oldest son had a La Cruz, which he liked quite a bit.

All country and gravel roads around the Twin Cities.

He outgrew it so fast it made my head spin.

I liked it the few times I rode it.

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3797/9539265297_e78d47d19e_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/fwXeek)IMG_1794 (https://flic.kr/p/fwXeek) by gomango1849 (https://www.flickr.com/people/36270004@N06/), on Flickr

wallymann
01-16-2015, 04:43 PM
funny thing is...after "going another direction"...now i'm seeing these pics...starting to want a la-cruz again!

AndreasM
01-16-2015, 05:07 PM
Haha - I'm checking it out tomorrow, so hopefully it is a winner.

Assuming it is, I figure with a bit of time I could lighten it up quite a bit - wheels, rotors, maybe a 1x10 with retroshift?? Maybe the sram force group in my neighbors apartment.

Country roads and quality commuting sound good. I'm curious if it throws a fat skid pulling around a bend though...

DfCas
01-16-2015, 05:33 PM
Has anybody ridden the ti version? (I think there was one..??) I assume the geometry was the same, but the weight should have been better.

Were they built by Lynskey?

buckhorn
01-16-2015, 06:24 PM
I think the Ti version was canti brake only.

I have one. I really like it, lots of other bikes have came and went, but the La Cruz has been here the longest.

I have it set up with SRAM force, Sypre brakes, XX rear der., 11-32 cassette, Thomson post, Ritchey bar and stem, notubes crest rims, White Industries hubs, and tires vary depending on terrain.

I have had it as light as 21 lbs. with pedals, but it is probably around 23 lbs now.

Currently has fenders and is my winter training bike.

I've raced it in cross, and gravel road races, gone on long adventure rides, and fast group road rides.

Everytime I get off of it I realize how comfortable I am on it, and I don't feel beaten up (like many other bikes I have ridden).

I'll try to post a picture later.

I do lust after a Ti Warbird though.....

gomango
01-16-2015, 06:42 PM
I just picked up a ti Warbird frameset a month ago.

Can't wait to let her rip.

Signing up for "many" gravel events this summer. :)

As many as the our boys' soccer schedules allow, as I will be 12 different states this summer for tourneys.

I think the Ti version was canti brake only.

I have one. I really like it, lots of other bikes have came and went, but the La Cruz has been here the longest.

I have it set up with SRAM force, Sypre brakes, XX rear der., 11-32 cassette, Thomson post, Ritchey bar and stem, notubes crest rims, White Industries hubs, and tires vary depending on terrain.

I have had it as light as 21 lbs. with pedals, but it is probably around 23 lbs now.

Currently has fenders and is my winter training bike.

I've raced it in cross, and gravel road races, gone on long adventure rides, and fast group road rides.

Everytime I get off of it I realize how comfortable I am on it, and I don't feel beaten up (like many other bikes I have ridden).

I'll try to post a picture later.

I do lust after a Ti Warbird though.....

buckhorn
01-17-2015, 11:22 AM
Here is a pic from last summer. Size 60cm.

AndreasM
01-19-2015, 11:09 AM
Here is a pic from last summer. Size 60cm.

That's awesome. Picked the bike up on Saturday. Build pics to come.