PDA

View Full Version : Humble Pie-Help

gasman
04-01-2006, 06:07 PM
Ok so I decide to do the 1st crit of the season-the Ice Breaker crit here in town. I have some family commitiments in the AM so I show up to ride with the 35+ masters and figure I won't do well but will get a good workout. Oh man was I right. Vax showed up as I was warming up, he saw some of the other guys warming up and he told I would be lapped.

Holy crud was he right ! I lose the field with the first surge on lap 2. I sit up and ride until they come around a few laps later. I hang on for about 12 laps and getted dropped -again ! Man do I suck ! I wait for them to come around again, I hang on for 10 laps and get dropped again. Oh man. A five man breakaway passes the whole field just before I get dropped for the 3rd time. A buddy crashed with 2 laps to go so I stopped to make sure he was OK then rolled in to watch the finish. I then find out there were a bunch of 1/2's in the group as well as plenty of 3's. I still suck. DNF

What should I do to get faster ? I think I know what I need to do, mainly do some training with high intensity and allow myself adequate recovery time. My work schedule is so variable that I can't predict when I will have time to ride I just ride when I am able to do so.

What thoughts do others have ?

Fixed
04-01-2006, 06:18 PM
bro don't feel bad it happens to almost everyone 35+ is tough
a workout I do is 10 sec, on 10 sec.off sprint for 10 sec ..rest for 10 sec do that for 5 min then rest 5 mins. i like do the set 3 X
bro but I bet you have a better one than that . let's hear what some of the bros do .
cheers

vaxn8r
04-01-2006, 07:03 PM
That's a legit 1-2-3 crit. No way you can feel bad, there's too much strength and talent in that group. A lot of those guys ride almost every single day and race almost every week at his time of year. Just ride your bike as much as you can. Ride with the boys once or twice a week and test yourself with them.

I've also found that at our age and weekly mileage (read real jobs+family) the stars have to be alligned just right to hang with those boys in race. Meaning plenty of base miles, some good intensity training, a perfect amount of pre-race rest and a bit a luck.

Sandy
04-01-2006, 07:13 PM
That's a legit 1-2-3 crit. No way you can feel bad, there's too much strength and talent in that group. A lot of those guys ride almost every single day and race almost every week at his time of year. Just ride your bike as much as you can. Ride with the boys once or twice a week and test yourself with them.

I've also found that at our age and weekly mileage (read real jobs+family) the stars have to be alligned just right to hang with those boys in race. Meaning plenty of base miles, some good intensity training, a perfect amount of pre-race rest and a bit a luck.

How was the weather in Oregon this past winter? Was March a decent month? How did they get enough base miles and training to be able to race almost every week? Isn't it a little early? As you might suspect, I don't know much about racing (repairing carbon bikes also).

Sandy

gasman
04-01-2006, 07:28 PM
Sandy- You know plenty, more than the average bear.The weather here has been wet all winter. You can ride all but a few days a year if you don't mind getting wet. Almost everyone has a fendered rain bike. No fenders today-I ate lots of road spray sitting in the back.

Fixed- Sounds like a good idea for something to throw in to work my system hard. Perfect for my limited free time.

Thanks Vax for the kind words.

I know at 51 I don't have the age or the motor to ever hang with the big guys, I just don't want to be so far behind.

I ate the pie and the pie tin today, I'd rather just have a slice.

beungood
04-01-2006, 07:59 PM
Hey the hell with age, at least your out there! Just having the B__s to ride with the big dogs is impressive. :cool:

Too Tall
04-01-2006, 08:00 PM
Get a COACH!!!!
Don't wait until you are 40+. I race against former 1/2/3s and they are still going fast. This yr. about 6 of the best 40+ graduated to 50+...I am 49 this yr.....ouch. It is humbling, true and really wonderful to be able to race with such great talents. Lap it up...no pun intended...imagine how much it would suk to race with no talent or competition?

gasman
04-01-2006, 08:05 PM
Get a COACH!!!!
Don't wait until you are 40+. I race against former 1/2/3s and they are still going fast. This yr. about 6 of the best 40+ graduated to 50+...I am 49 this yr.....ouch. It is humbling, true and really wonderful to be able to race with such great talents. Lap it up...no pun intended...imagine how much it would suk to race with no talent or competition?

I already race with no talent Too Tall and I am already in the 50+ :crap:

I do have fun is a sick sort of way.

I'm not so sure about a coach, how do you find a good one? Not a CC one. Would that suck all the fun out of riding ? I still have bad dreams about my swim coach of 7 years- he believed in a carrot and stick training program. Without the carrot.

stevep
04-01-2006, 08:18 PM
get a better bike
shimano or campy?

KevinK
04-01-2006, 08:23 PM
Gasman: That crit was not set up for us 50+ cat 4s. As a 52 year old cat 4, I had to choose between racing with the open 35+ or the younger cat 4s. I chose to race with the cat 4s and when I lined up I knew I was in trouble as I saw some of the young guns from Portland on the line. We had 32 racers and I hung with the lead group for 10 laps. We were going about 21mph into the wind and hit 28-29mph on the home straight. On lap 11 I got pinched off at the corner before the home straight and couldn't close the gap. I rode the remaining 14 laps pretty much by myself. Not what I was hoping for, but I can't be too disappointed, given the age of the competition.

See you at King's Valley RR next week.

Kevin

Sandy
04-01-2006, 08:24 PM
:) I already race with no talent Too Tall and I am already in the 50+ :crap:

I do have fun is a sick sort of way.

I'm not so sure about a coach, how do you find a good one? Not a CC one. Would that suck all the fun out of riding ? I still have bad dreams about my swim coach of 7 years- he believed in a carrot and stick training program. Without the carrot.

My wife believes in the carrot and stick program. If I don't get her a karat (or 2 or more), I get the stick. :) :)

Diamond In The Rough,

Sparkling Sandy

Fixed
04-01-2006, 09:08 PM
bro don't they have 45+ up there? that's kind of unfair playin with bros 15 +years younger than you . i.m.h.o. cheers

lnomalley
04-01-2006, 09:15 PM
periodization. get a coach. if not... get a Friel book. 3 weeks base-1. rest 1 week. 3 weeks base-2. rest 1 week. 3 weeks base-3. rest 1 week. 3 weeks build-1. rest 1. 3 weeks build-2. rest 1. race.

enjoy.

Fixed
04-01-2006, 09:34 PM
bro i got a feelin the gasman know's what he needs to do to get ready .he might know more than all of us. i.m.h.o. cheers

gasman
04-01-2006, 11:10 PM
bro i got a feelin the gasman know's what he needs to do to get ready .he might know more than all of us. i.m.h.o. cheers

Thanks bro I can use any suggestions from all you bright riders.

Too Tall
04-02-2006, 06:43 AM
As of late there are more divisions at races. 35+ 4 races for instance are becoming common which is pretty great for new (older) riders in their second season and survived 5's. Across the pond apparently they require you maintain proficiency in respective racing divisions by maintaining points etc. Makes alot of sense.

Gasman, talk to people who are coached to find a good fit. There are a few folks on the board and I can make suggestions if interested. I was coached by H.Allen (PeaksCoachingGroupdotcom) for several yrs. and feel like one lucky guy, he was fantastic as a coach and the learning experience was outtasight.

Fixed
04-02-2006, 10:40 AM
bro is fla the only place that has 45+ ? i find that hard to believe cheers

Kevan
04-02-2006, 01:19 PM
pulling some underwear up outside of the shorts and wear a cape. Two things could happen: 1) you really do get strong and ride like superman, or 2) everyone laughs so hard they can't race and you win by default.

Hey, it's cheaper than a coach. I've made similar suggestions for Sandy and you should see how he's improved.

manet
04-02-2006, 01:50 PM
bro is fla the only place that has 45+ ? i find that hard to believe cheers

no bro _ ny an' nj _ yo

shinomaster
04-02-2006, 02:44 PM
masters 35+ sometimes means "really effin fast"..feel no shame.

Dr. Doofus
04-02-2006, 05:12 PM
Too Tall has the right idea

why don't you get a power tap and give him a call -- or, better yet, find a cat in your area code you can actually ride with and talk to (all props to the Tall One...but in-the-flesh is the way to start)

the value of a coach isn't to turn you into superman -- that won't happen unless you have a brother who just won flanders (then it runs in the family).

the value is in learning how to train.

doof has the race brain of a retarded buffalo, but he's been lucky to have some good trainers in the past -- o. starr (in 95-96...joe friel's pal) and spinelli, in particular. learned somethin from both about different routes to the same physical goal, and most importantly, learned somethin about how doof's body responded....

you need to learn what kind of workload you can handle...how your particular metabolism needs to rest...how your particular metabolism responds to different types of training...and how to start finding the right mix to play to your strengths and minimize your weaknesses....

doof and fixed are about the same age, same size....we're probably pretty even with LT power...but he's a sprinter who lives on his bike for his job...doof is a TT cat who can sit down all day, and has no kids...fixed and doof have to train in completely different ways....

what doof has found works best for him is almost the opposite of what you're supposed to do for crits -- miles miles miles miles and lots of LT training, with sprints only when he's fit and done some VO2 work -- but when doof has tried it how you're supposed to do it, his bod didn't really respond the way you'd want it to. of course, doof has never won a crit in his life but piled up top 10s during the clinton administrations...and is starting to do it again now....

point of all this?

take the time to learn how to train with some guidance, and take the time to learn what works for you -- your metabolism, your life, your (cpg gay vague warning) whole athlete gestalt....

good luck

manet
04-02-2006, 07:41 PM

take the time to learn how to train with some guidance, and take the time to learn what works for you -- your metabolism, your life, your (cpg gay vague warning) whole athlete gestalt....

good luck

don't skimp on the soul.

gasman
04-02-2006, 09:26 PM
Thanks guys for all the great replies. Doof thanks especially for your well thought out suggestions. I can't go ride 20,000 km a year so I need to learn how to use my meager talent to my best advantage. I'll start and get me a little book lernin' then think about getting someone around here to give me some coaching. My day-to-day schedule is so variable I can use some pointers.

Kevan-Maybe I should put some used underwear over my helmet,bacon side out, and hope it doesn't rain. If I start at the front everyone will either fall down laughing or give me such wide berth that I have a chance.

Fixed - The various race organizers are starting to add more groups for the old guys. Sadly it is still usually 35 or 40 plus. Some races do score the 50+ seperately.