PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of buying a web-ordered city bike...

Kevan
01-14-2015, 01:42 PM
Here's the thing, I need a bike that doesn't quite fit me, so our guests have something they can ride into town to get a coffee. I ride a 60cm, so I'm thinking a 58 equivalent would help some family members shorter than myself, but I could squeeze into too. Points to consider, in no particular order:

. Flat terrain here in Easton MD.
. No need for multi gears, but 3-7 speed would be okay, not essential. Saves weight, complexity, maintenance.
. Not a fixie. Coaster brake, acceptable.
. $500 or less
. Conventional pedals.
. Nice to haves: water bottle mount, room for fenders, rear rack bosses.
. Basic black is fine. Alloy rims and ss spokes.
. Really nice: belt drive.

Any builders, websites, experience strike your fancy?

I welcome suggestions. I've been looking for used bike options in my area, but most are mad-awful.

malcolm
01-14-2015, 01:46 PM
I would buy a townie. They will accommodate a variety of heights and are actually quite nice for leisurely spins. The also are built so you can put your feet flat on the ground, so inexperienced folks don't have to worry about crashing.

Kevan
01-14-2015, 01:55 PM
But they're so g-d ugly! I can't bring myself to do that.

AngryScientist
01-14-2015, 01:55 PM
if it's just for short rides, and you anticipate different sized people, a 58 equivalent would really be too big for a majority of people, unless you have particularly tall friends and family. most anyone can ride a bike too small for them for a few miles easier than a bike too big for them and cant reach the pedals.

perhaps consider a second hand folding bike. they take up smaller amounts of space, and can be quirky and fun to ride, even for non-bike people. a "medium" folder will fit a whole bunch of people too.

Kevan
01-14-2015, 01:59 PM
A folder,,, that's intriguing. They're typically heavy, no?

Suggestions?

I get your point on sizing.

p nut
01-14-2015, 02:11 PM
Breezer Downtown IGH. Step through versions also available. Was going to get one for the wife last year, but decided to spend a bit more on a touring bike. Rode pretty solid. Giant also has city bikes which I test rode. Weren't bad at all (for what they are).

http://www.breezerbikes.com/images/products/2015/downtown-3/high/2015_Breezer_Downtown_3_M_Side.jpg

JAGI410
01-14-2015, 02:24 PM
Like this beauty?

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=159282&highlight=Swobo

malcolm
01-14-2015, 02:29 PM
But they're so g-d ugly! I can't bring myself to do that.

I don't think ugly begins to describe them but you can't really see it when you are riding it and non cyclists love 'em.

vqdriver
01-14-2015, 02:40 PM
a cafe cruiser for friends and family?
i'd say something with fenders, something with a basket, something with lights, something not 58cm

consider non-quick release wheels if locking it up is necessary in town.

bigman
01-14-2015, 05:39 PM
Bought my daughter a breezer steel step through 1x9 for her short DC commute, she loves it. Don,t think it was 500 w tax. Only issue is that it is so nice looking she is sure it wil get stolen.

dustyrider
01-14-2015, 06:01 PM
A 58 is really a big bike for most people. When I lived with a bunch of cyclists, we chipped in and built up a 56 origin 8 track bike(not fixed). I ride a 58 and could make it work. The smallest of us rode a 54 and could make it work. It was great. We could all destroy it on the trainer or the pub crawl with visiting friends and not worry.

Ken Robb
01-14-2015, 06:04 PM
a cafe cruiser for friends and family?
i'd say something with fenders, something with a basket, something with lights, something not 58cm

consider non-quick release wheels if locking it up is necessary in town.

Thieves around here carry bolt cutters and angle grinders. Don't you think they might also have a wrench or two? :)

Ken Robb
01-14-2015, 06:09 PM
A used mtn. bike might do it. My 1989 Bridgestone MB-3 with some Rivendell pull-back bars is what I loan to many guests not as sophisticated as yourself :).
A newer model with a sloping top tube might be even more accomodating. The MB-3 has a quill stem and a quick-release for the seat post so "sizing" can be changed in a jiffy.

Kevan
01-14-2015, 08:57 PM
Thanks, guys, for the comments. You have me pondering the possibilities.

This past summer, we bought the missus a Franklin from Brooklyn Bikes. For a rather standard bike, it has nice lines.

Gosh, do you guys remember when Bianchi came out with their first version of the 'Milano' cafe bike. Boy, that was eye candy.

Maybe I should search one out. I reached out on the Swobo, so we'll see.

I welcome more suggestions. Good to see here some ol' names. Wishing you all well.

oldpotatoe
01-15-2015, 06:18 AM
Here's the thing, I need a bike that doesn't quite fit me, so our guests have something they can ride into town to get a coffee. I ride a 60cm, so I'm thinking a 58 equivalent would help some family members shorter than myself, but I could squeeze into too. Points to consider, in no particular order:

. No need for multi gears, but 3-7 speed would be okay, not essential. Saves weight, complexity, maintenance.
. $500 or less
. Conventional pedals.

I welcome suggestions. I've been looking for used bike options in my area, but most are mad-awful.

Linus

http://www.linusbike.com/

Public

http://publicbikes.com/

HillDancer
01-15-2015, 11:35 AM
...do you guys remember when Bianchi came out with their first version of the 'Milano' cafe bike...
I owned one. The saddle integrated rear light was cool, saddle comfort unbearable. Handlebar angle and width, painful. Aluminum front fork, harsh. Crank arms, silly short. BB bearings, short-lived.

I enjoy cruiser bikes with Big Apple tires a lot. I do not like the Electra Townie. Avoid that one folks.

ColnagoFan
01-15-2015, 02:20 PM

. $500 or less
. Conventional pedals.

This seems to tick all your bikes, eh?
www.prioritybikes.com
Price is right, and it's even got a belt drive.

Saw this on kickstarter a while back, but I didn't back it.

Kevan
01-15-2015, 04:12 PM
How could I have forgotten checking out Linus bikes, they've received tons of media attention. So get this...

I check out their website, go to their dealer locator, and low...there's a boat rental shop in neighboring Oxford that just last season started renting bikes too. So with a 15 minute pleasant drive out there, I ended up with a VERY gently used medium sized, single speed Roadster for 3 bills.

Score!

Kevan
01-15-2015, 05:50 PM
Photo:

JAllen
01-19-2015, 08:33 PM
Dude awesome find! I see a lot of folks rockin' Linus around here for their short commutes or errands. I was going to throw breezer's downtown into the mix as well. The wife has one with an internal 5 speed that she loves. It's been the gateway drug of biking for her. Now she's got an eye on a Kona Jake the Snake. :)