PDA

View Full Version : winter weight program: single leg squats...

Dr Luxurious
01-14-2015, 10:03 AM
:eek:

Took a tip from the OZ sprint program and added SL back squats to my regimen - starting last night.
Ho-lee crap! I can barely get out of my chair. I'm walking like I borrowed Eric Cartman's probe.
I can see why they're into SL exercises. Half the weight on the bar so it's way easier on the back but it BLASTS the legs and glutes plus it pulls in way more lower core because of the increased need for stabilization.
Try em!

MattTuck
01-14-2015, 10:06 AM
Do you have a video demonstration? I've seen them done several ways, and tried a version when I was doing PT. I personally was never able to go deep with them, but I'd like to see the prescribed form.

Also, split squats I've found to be a happy medium, and they also do some nice stretching on your hip flexors.

Look585
01-14-2015, 10:08 AM
Yes, single leg squats are tough. I do singles on the leg press as well. Be careful the first few sessions, much more need for secondary stabilization muscles and you can get strains in places you wouldn't expect.

Dr Luxurious
01-14-2015, 10:14 AM
much more need for secondary stabilization muscles and you can get strains in places you wouldn't expect.

AMEN!!

here's what I was doing....

http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/detail/view/name/one-leg-barbell-squat

Grinta13
01-14-2015, 10:17 AM
I have been doing them for several years. I do them with one leg on a bench or chair behind me, which I guess is also called a Bulgarian Split Squat. Also, Use dumbells in each hand as opposed to a bar on my shoulders. It just feels more satbale to me.

MattTuck
01-14-2015, 10:36 AM
Ok, yeah, those are very doable. basically a modified split squat.

These are the ones (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hu-6ywxbu1A#t=85) that I have a lot more trouble with.

Climb01742
01-14-2015, 10:41 AM
I have been doing them for several years. I do them with one leg on a bench or chair behind me, which I guess is also called a Bulgarian Split Squat. Also, Use dumbells in each hand as opposed to a bar on my shoulders. It just feels more satbale to me.

I do them using dumbbells/kettlebells or a weight vest. Just speaking personally, I'd be afraid to use a barbell on my shoulders. My balance isn't that good:p in particular as I'm trying to squeeze out the last few reps or last set. However you do them, they're very effective.

malcolm
01-14-2015, 10:47 AM
Does the same thing as a split squat that is done correctly. After regular squats I'll do split squats or single legs with the back foot on a bench to finish off the legs, lighter weights and higher reps. Regular bar behind the neck squats is one of the best compound exercises for building overall strength/power.

soulspinner
01-14-2015, 12:05 PM
I need these!

fiamme red
01-14-2015, 12:23 PM
Article about technique: http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/training/split-squat-technique.html/.

MattTuck
01-14-2015, 12:57 PM
Article about technique: http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/training/split-squat-technique.html/.

Thanks. That is actually quite interesting, especially the part about emphasizing the glute vs. the quad. I'm already quadzilla, with weak glutes... so that is a good mental cue to remember while doing these.

BumbleBeeDave
01-14-2015, 01:34 PM
When I've done these I use dumbbells. If you do lose your balance you just drop the dumbbells. If the guy in the photo with the bar across his shoulders loses his balance for any reason he's going to be in a spot to get seriously twisted around as he falls and do some real damage.

BBD

01-14-2015, 01:53 PM
I do them using dumbbells/kettlebells or a weight vest. Just speaking personally, I'd be afraid to use a barbell on my shoulders. My balance isn't that good:p in particular as I'm trying to squeeze out the last few reps or last set. However you do them, they're very effective.

This is just why they are so helpful -- they build lateral stability as well as full muscle-train enablement (i.e., if your quads are strong but glutes are weak, these will fix that).

Single leg squats for people who have done them a good while are a good way to build power, but for most people, they should be focused on stability and proper muscle activation. I would never use them to take anyone close to a maximal lift. You can do that with regular back squats, front squats, Zerchers, whatever strikes your fancy. The single leg squats (and especially done Bulgarian, which really makes sure that you aren't cheating with the back leg) are for most people done with a different goal in mind. This is one of those exercises that actually offers more benefit to cyclists in a higher-repetition lower-load workout.

Why are these so useful for cyclists? The lateral stability is something we don't always work on well enough on the bike, but the biggest reason is that so many riders tend to develop selective muscle activation -- most typically, one's quads get strong but one's glutes are pitiful. Why is this, anyway? Well, it's pretty simple. We're sitting on our butts and pounding the crap out of them. The muscles don't respond well to that. Bounce a barbell off your quads a few times and then go see how well they function. One of the objectives of really good positioning on a bike is to minimize this effect, because your glutes are so powerful when available and used properly -- the best muscles for powering up a steep rise or for launching a sprint without killing the quads in the process. But it's always an inherent problem on the bike, so these exercises are very good for this.

If you really want to hurt, try extending your passive leg straight out in the air in front of you and squat on your working leg until your butt is on your heel. Balance with arms if needed, but don't hold on to anything. and when that exercise works, start doing it while hugging a weight plate to your chest.

malcolm
01-14-2015, 02:00 PM
single leg RDL (Romanian dead lifts) are another good stability, hip, hamstring, glute exercise, that is very effectively done with dumbells or kettle bells

http://www.syattfitness.com/athletic-performance/single-leg-rdl/

01-14-2015, 02:08 PM
To add a few points to the last post:

First, recruiting muscle activation doesn't require heavy loads. This is usually what as cyclists we're trying to achieve with this. You just want the muscle to fire and when that is trained, it will participate in any exercise and get stronger.

Second, some people can lift as much one-legged as they can with a regular back squat. One-legged squats make you squat with a more upright torso, which reduces load on the back in one direction, but it also can leave you more prone to a sideways load. The bodybuilding forums and coaches tend to assume you already have the stability and full muscle engagement so that isn't a risk, but if you aren't trying to live under a barbell and want to ride your bike more, lateral back strain can become a problem.

Third, one of the best tools that has been popularized in powerlifting circles and works great for cycling is the GHD -- the glute ham developer. Good ones aren't cheap and many gyms don't have them yet, but you'll find them in any pro or varsity team gym and everybody is coming out with good ones. Here's the one I have.

http://www.legendfitness.com/products/body_weight_stations/gluteham_developers/pro_series_gluteham_developer_3214.aspx

This is the pro model most often found in gyms has helped more cyclists perform better than anything done under a barbell. Cycling really does build enough quad strength but it's a case of being only as strong as the weakest link, and this builds the rest.

Tony
01-14-2015, 02:18 PM
Been using all his videos.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tv6k92pdKVA

Climb01742
01-14-2015, 02:27 PM
To add a few points to the last post:

First, recruiting muscle activation doesn't require heavy loads. This is usually what as cyclists we're trying to achieve with this. You just want the muscle to fire and when that is trained, it will participate in any exercise and get stronger.

Second, some people can lift as much one-legged as they can with a regular back squat. One-legged squats make you squat with a more upright torso, which reduces load on the back in one direction, but it also can leave you more prone to a sideways load. The bodybuilding forums and coaches tend to assume you already have the stability and full muscle engagement so that isn't a risk, but if you aren't trying to live under a barbell and want to ride your bike more, lateral back strain can become a problem.

Third, one of the best tools that has been popularized in powerlifting circles and works great for cycling is the GHD -- the glute ham developer. Good ones aren't cheap and many gyms don't have them yet, but you'll find them in any pro or varsity team gym and everybody is coming out with good ones. Here's the one I have.

http://www.legendfitness.com/products/body_weight_stations/gluteham_developers/pro_series_gluteham_developer_3214.aspx

This is the pro model most often found in gyms has helped more cyclists perform better than anything done under a barbell. Cycling really does build enough quad strength but it's a case of being only as strong as the weakest link, and this builds the rest.

The few times I've had access to a glute/ham machine it was two things: one of the hardest exercises I've ever done and one of the most humbling. Man, does it pinpoint weaknesses. If you see one in a gym and want to try it, be sure to have a spotter to help you get back up.:p

MattTuck
01-14-2015, 02:32 PM
I don't think you can talk about chronic glute weakness in cyclists without atleast acknowledging that glute weakness and weak/tight hamstrings are a product of being seated for long periods of time.

So if you work in an office sitting in a chair, you're predisposed to having weak glutes and tight hamstrings.

If you ride in a position that emphasizes your glutes, there's no problem activating them to get big power... the problem is that they're usually weak and get fatigued quickly. For extra emphasis on the glutes, put the palms of your hands on the hoods (palm faced downward). You'll feel those glutes working!

giverdada
01-14-2015, 08:59 PM
did my running workout on the track tonight while the 9 year old was with her team, doing their workout. couple laps at 70% then leg work, all calisthenic with just me and my big head for resistance. holy cow the single leg squats get me every time. i've seen progress in the week since my last track workout, but it's consistently humbling. all those stabilizers coming into play, and pointing out enormous muscle imbalances/weaknesses that get masked by the 2-D motion of running forward or riding forward. feel like i played soccer on ice gravel after a few single leg squats!

Dave Ferris
01-14-2015, 11:17 PM
For runners, single leg partial-squats are very effective. I've been doing them for years since I attended a running camp with the renown running guru, Owen Anderson.

Go down to the 5th & 6th paragraph explaining the benefits and how to carry them out:
http://www.pponline.co.uk/encyc/0886.htm#

I usually start with the standard 40 lb olympic bar on my back and try to do 20 reps each leg for one set. I then add 10 lbs a side and take the reps down to 15. On the 3rd set I'll add another 5 or 10 lbs depending how my legs are feeling , or what I'm doing the following day, and do 8-10 reps per leg.

I also do body weight traditional single leg squats on a wobble board.
http://www.fitter1.com/Professional-Balance-Boards_p_20.html

2 sets of 8-12 per leg. You'll need a low step or bench to anchor your non-squating leg.

These are great for overall balance and core strength. Owen Anderson hipped me to these a long time ago as well.

I also do lunges with no more then 8-10 lb weights (in each hand). 20 steps out (10 each leg) and 20 back.

Step ups are great too. I use 18" plyo boxes for these. Actually my gym has these exact ones:
http://www.muscledriverusa.com/MDUSA-Plyo-Boxes-Starter-Set-12-18-and-24-Inch--Out-of-Stock_p_810.html

Again I use no more then 10 lb. dumb bells (in each hand). I step up forward and to the side. Great isolation for each leg.

All 4 of these single leg isolated exercises I've been doing consistently for years. Without a doubt they've kept me in the ballgame in relation to still be running at 61. I never have had any knee problems cycling or running either.

I'm 61, 5'9" and 158- 160 (normally). And hardly a weightlifter type.

Dr Luxurious
01-15-2015, 09:06 AM
(i.e., if your quads are strong but glutes are weak, these will fix that).

No kidding. My glutes are so sore I can barely walk. Definitely doing more of these.

If you really want to hurt, try extending your passive leg straight out in the air in front of you and squat on your working leg until your butt is on your heel. Balance with arms if needed, but don't hold on to anything.

I have tried those - and failed. It's amazing how hard that is.