PDA

View Full Version : Offsetting cable hanger? And more.

cinema
01-13-2015, 10:00 PM
Is there anything wrong with offsetting a cable hanger to the side if there's interference with the stem (ie, cable hanger is right below a stem flipped downwards). I don't feel much change in modulation but perhaps it's not good in the long run.

Furthermore, let's say i wanted to get the stem down even more, does anyone have any first hand experience with those jerryrigged faceplate mounted cable hangers? They look dangerous but that could be a baseless visceral reaction.

choke
01-13-2015, 10:16 PM
I don't see a problem with the cable being offset some, as long as the brakes pull evenly.

One way to solve the problem of the stem being close the hanger is to use a 'noodle' (like used on v-brakes) to route the cable through the hanger. This eliminates the sharp bend in the cable and you can run it quite close the stem. There are flexible 'noodles' as well as solid ones.

christian
01-13-2015, 10:22 PM
Mini-v's.

cinema
01-13-2015, 10:27 PM
Mini-v's.

I love mini v's but this bike is getting centerpulls.

re: the sharp bend, at this point I'm about to get avant garde and wrap the housing around the top of the stem and under, to the side where the cable hanger is living. I like that idea of using an actual v brake noodle. I'm using a crummy metal "noodle" that doesn't really bend or get rid of the sharp angle. I have a couple v brake noodles hanging around.

Dead Man
01-13-2015, 10:28 PM
You can get a hanger that hangs deeper, or you can even go to a crown mounted hanger (assuming your crown is drilled..?) if you want to fully slam the stem. And be totally pro.

cinema
01-13-2015, 10:32 PM
You can get a hanger that hangs deeper, or you can even go to a crown mounted hanger (assuming your crown is drilled..?) if you want to fully slam the stem. And be totally pro.

Sorry I forgot to mention, crown isn't drilled. I've looked into that and it would be awesome.

choke
01-13-2015, 10:36 PM
re: the sharp bend, at this point I'm about to get avant garde and wrap the housing around the top of the stem and under, to the side where the cable hanger is living. I like that idea of using an actual v brake noodle. I'm using a crummy metal "noodle" that doesn't really bend or get rid of the sharp angle. I have a couple v brake noodles hanging around.I used a solid noodle with my Racer M brakes at first but replaced it with the flexible one. It works a lot better IMO. Yokozuna (http://www.yokozunausa.com/flbrno.html)sells one.

cinema
01-13-2015, 10:40 PM
I used a solid hanger with my Racer M brakes at first but replaced it with the flexible one. It works a lot better IMO. Yokozuna (http://www.yokozunausa.com/flbrno.html)sells one.

that is the ticket if it isn't too tall when installed. thank you

gpendergast
01-13-2015, 11:23 PM
at this point I'm about to get avant garde and wrap the housing around the top of the stem and under, to the side where the cable hanger is living.

:banana: this is the jam :banana: for cyclocross bikes with cantilevers. see this a lot at races. the housing resists crimping over time and spring tension can be more balanced.

old fat man
01-13-2015, 11:35 PM
:banana: this is the jam :banana: for cyclocross bikes with cantilevers. see this a lot at races. the housing resists crimping over time and spring tension can be more balanced.

Been doing this for half a decade on my cx bikes, typically with an ird extra long hanger slightly offset to ease the cable bend as much as possible. Never a problem.

AngryScientist
01-14-2015, 06:09 AM
http://www.rennrad-news.de/forum/attachments/cielo_challenge_stem_600-jpg.129015/

oldpotatoe
01-14-2015, 06:17 AM
Is there anything wrong with offsetting a cable hanger to the side if there's interference with the stem (ie, cable hanger is right below a stem flipped downwards). I don't feel much change in modulation but perhaps it's not good in the long run.

Furthermore, let's say i wanted to get the stem down even more, does anyone have any first hand experience with those jerryrigged faceplate mounted cable hangers? They look dangerous but that could be a baseless visceral reaction.

AS long as the brakes move in tandem, hit the rim at the same time..no.

Hole in fork? Maybe a fork mounted cable hanger like this one.

unterhausen
01-14-2015, 07:38 AM
I put the cable stop on the seatstay of my tandem back in the late '70s -- works great. But modern brakes seem a little more sensitive to offset, I tried it again on my road bike and wish I hadn't. But a little offset isn't going to hurt anything

seanile
01-14-2015, 07:49 AM
i wish this was actually produced
crown race cable hanger patent (https://www.google.com/patents/US8757561?dq=ininventor:%22Alan+Cote%22&hl=en&sa=X&ei=qXO2VOq1LpO3yATih4LgBw&ved=0CC0Q6AEwAg)

donevwil
01-14-2015, 10:42 AM
Nothing mounted to the fork crown will work with centerpulls unless it's an awkwardly tall custom contraption. I use a rigid noodle bent to my application and it's still tight (Paul Racer Ms). What hanger are you using ? Have you tried a deep drop one without an adjuster (IRD (http://store.interlocracing.com/lodrcaha.html)) ? Combine this with a noodle may be your best bet aside from the through stem solution.

I use a Ritchey CX headset with integrated hanger with a 5° drop stem with 15mm of spacers and the aggressively bent noodle still touches the stem.

choke
01-14-2015, 01:14 PM
This is with a -17° stem, 9mm of spacers and the hanger which measures about 10mm. It's hard to tell in the pic but it's not touching the stem at all.

cinema
01-14-2015, 02:49 PM
This is with a -17° stem, 9mm of spacers and the hanger which measures about 10mm. It's hard to tell in the pic but it's not touching the stem at all.
excellent I'm going to get my lbs to order one of those noodles. the only difference with my set up is i don't have any spacers I'm trying to slam it. so -10, no spcaers. I've switched to using a longer hanger now, a problem solvers it looks about 1.5 inches or something. http://www.jensonusa.com/Problem-Solvers-Cross-Cable-Hanger