PDA

View Full Version : Found my temp threshold this morning. What's yours?

KJMUNC
01-13-2015, 08:00 PM
Had great intentions of an early AM training ride....woke up at 4:30, put on all of my coldest weather gear. Temp was 34 degrees and a 10-15mph headwind greeted me. The only part of my body not covered in thermal gear was my lower face....big mistake. Rode all of 1 mile and had to turn around. Felt like a massive ice cream headache. Being very humid and having no ability to get warm by the sun didn't help as I knew it was only going to get worse.

I've ridden when it's cold before, pretty consistently in the low 40 temps, but not often anything colder. Don't think I'll be doing that again until it warms up or I get a balaclava...probably the former.

So for me, 40 degrees is where I make the transition to indoors. What about you?

thegunner
01-13-2015, 08:03 PM
bout 15 - with windchill down to -5 - and i'll still do the morning commute.

training bottoms out at around 25-30?

zmudshark
01-13-2015, 08:10 PM
Had great intentions of an early AM training ride....woke up at 4:30, put on all of my coldest weather gear. Temp was 34 degrees and a 10-15mph headwind greeted me. The only part of my body not covered in thermal gear was my lower face....big mistake. Rode all of 1 mile and had to turn around. Felt like a massive ice cream headache. Being very humid and having no ability to get warm by the sun didn't help as I knew it was only going to get worse.

I've ridden when it's cold before, pretty consistently in the low 40 temps, but not often anything colder. Don't think I'll be doing that again until it warms up or I get a balaclava...probably the former.

So for me, 40 degrees is where I make the transition to indoors. What about you?

You are a hard man. My people are not of strong stock. I balk below 50*F, if it's not windy. I don't like anything below 60*, truth be known.

If there is so much as a hint of rain, that means nap time.

Let the mocking begin.
:fight:

MattTuck
01-13-2015, 08:14 PM
I'll ride down to about 25 degrees, the bigger issue for me is the salt.

Once there is salt down on the road, I'm indoors until the spring rains wash it away. Only exceptions are if there is a prolonged dry and sunny spell, such that the roads are REALLY dry... with no run off. anywhere.

I don't have a garage, my bike comes into my carpeted apartment, so I don't have a good place to clean it up, and I am not going to deal with the slush/salt slurry that will coat everything this time of year if conditions aren't perfect.

Chris
01-13-2015, 08:17 PM
The ice cream headache goes away after 20 minutes. My threshold is 15-20. Having said that, I'm done freezing my butt off. I'm doing intensity on the trainer and running this winter.

TMB
01-13-2015, 08:18 PM
You are a hard man. My people are not of strong stock. I balk below 50*F, if it's not windy. I don't like anything below 60*, truth be known.

Let the mocking begin.

There is so much I could say ...........

PQJ
01-13-2015, 08:19 PM
24. Won't go if wind chill below 15.

jemoryl
01-13-2015, 08:23 PM
Around 30 deg. F. Once you get past the first few miles, the heater kicks in.

BumbleBeeDave
01-13-2015, 08:25 PM
. . . was 287-28 degrees, but didn't ride fast because the wind just tore me apart. I'll generally ride into December and put up with the cold. But at a certain point the time spent garbing up before and warming up after exceeds the actual riding time and then I'm done. Other than that it's when first weather hits that means salt on the roads. It's just not worth it.

In 2009 I got to about end of October and realized that if I kept to a reasonable schedule I had a chance to break 5k for the year for the first time ever. Cool! (Literally!)

So I kept riding the required number of miles per week to make my goal and the coldest I ever did was 17 degrees in blowing snow on my MTB. I put together a 2.5 mile loop through my neighborhood that passed by my house every lap so if I lost feeling in my hands or feet I could bail. On that 17 degree day I got to the turn right by my house and my friend Brian was pulled up to the stop sign in his toasty warm SUV. He rolled down the window, rolled his eyes, and said "I just KNEW that had to be you. Nobody else would be this crazy."

I did make my 5k the week before New Year's, but never again! :eek: :cool:

BBD

thwart
01-13-2015, 08:29 PM
Temp was 34 degrees and a 10-15mph headwind greeted me.

Ha ha. We're hoping for those kind of temps this weekend to get out and get some miles in.

But… then again, I don't like to ride when it's over 95°.

tiretrax
01-13-2015, 08:30 PM
20 with winds up to 20 mph. I grew up snow skiing in New England, where it's wicked cold. I've got "big bones."

shovelhd
01-13-2015, 08:31 PM
Low twenties. Been into the teens but it didn't start out that way.

zmudshark
01-13-2015, 08:31 PM
There is so much I could say ...........To confirm what I've stated, I presume?

zmudshark
01-13-2015, 08:33 PM
Ha ha. We're hoping for those kind of temps this weekend to get out and get some miles in.

But… then again, I don't like to ride when it's over 95°.105* is my limit in AZ, in the Midwest, you are correct, maybe even a bit high. I think we have more humidity in MI than you do in WI.

tiretrax
01-13-2015, 08:34 PM
I've got "big bones". I grew up snow skiing in New England, where it's wicked cold. The coldest I can remember is 20 with gusts up to 50 mph. Got in three runs that day and drank 10 hot chocolates.

On the bike, the coldest day I have ridden was on my birthday 5 years ago. 15 degrees when I started, icy, and winds about 10 mph. Even with insulated knickers and tights, I was very cold. I took a 2 hour break for lunch and somehow made the return trip.

mtb_frk
01-13-2015, 08:34 PM
I went out on Friday last week. I think it was about 8 with a pretty strong wind. That was my limit, and I didn't last very long.

Matt-H
01-13-2015, 08:39 PM
I'm no match for Spidey and the other Northern brutes but it's been high 20's low 30's with a stiff breeze on most recent rides. Chilly but not unbearable for 3 hours. I've ridden down to low single digits on the mtb on winter night rides- most are more likely to be in the teens.

Salt is the real deal breaker.

moose8
01-13-2015, 08:42 PM
For commuting no limit - last week was -1 before windchill. It's still way better than the bus. For riding for fun I usually stop around 32 or so. I don't like getting my nice road bike filthy with salt but the commuter I don't care.

KonaSS
I will go to single digits. Already did an 8 degree ride this year.

Need to have the right clothes, be careful, and not get too far from home, but it is manageable.

Ti Designs
In the winter my basement is below 50F, which makes riding outside in the 20's seem kinda nice. Below 20 and things start going wrong. On one ride I noticed I couldn't move my eyes from side to side. At some point there's just no training value in it. Here's another thing nobody tells you, if you get a flat below 20F, CO2 doesn't work. It's so cold that the tube will shatter.

wc1934
01-13-2015, 08:47 PM

Kudoos to you - not only did you try to ride in cold temps, but you got up at 4:30 to do it. Not sure which is more difficult/which I dislike more.

Bradford
01-13-2015, 08:50 PM
22 for commuting, 35 for a weekend ride. I'm too wimpy for teens.

Ralph
01-13-2015, 08:55 PM
40 around 8 AM, but only when I know it will warm up fast. I won't ride in rain or if roads are bad wet. No need to do that, just wait a day for better weather.

berserk87
01-13-2015, 08:59 PM
I have ridden in the single digits (7F is my coldest so far). The big issue here is when it gets that cold, the roads get complicated with packed snow and ice, so it's tough to get out sometimes. Studded tires help, but don't make you bulletproof (especially versus vehicle traffic that also struggles with traction). I would like to see if I could handle colder, but again, usually the roads are the issue and not the cold itself.

We had a cold snap in November. One Saturday I did an early morning ride with 16F temps, and strong winds. I kept the pace high - just below a TT effort - to keep from becoming a popsicle. Did 31 miles in 1.5 hrs. Keeping the effort hard worked to stay warm, but that ride took years off of my life. I was smoked for the rest of the day.

I've got enough cold weather gear to ride pretty much all year. Over the last 2 years, I've managed to make it outdoors every week at a minimum of one day, regardless of weather. The key for my surviving this is to put out enough effort to generate my own heat. I have tried a couple of social rides at a modest pace and ended up freezing - so I don't do any smokes & jokes rides this time of year.

I'll go to great lengths to avoid riding the trainer, and get outside as often as I can.

BumbleBeeDave
01-13-2015, 09:08 PM
. . . a far better man than I am, or just plain f***ing crazy. I'm still trying to figure out which it is!

:p

BBD

I have ridden in the single digits (7F is my coldest so far). The big issue here is when it gets that cold, the roads get complicated with packed snow and ice, so it's tough to get out sometimes. Studded tires help, but don't make you bulletproof (especially versus vehicle traffic that also struggles with traction). I would like to see if I could handle colder, but again, usually the roads are the issue and not the cold itself.

eippo1
01-13-2015, 09:12 PM
I'm not a fan of the salt as well. I'm also not a fan of randomly going down on ice. So I'm inside unless I'm using nokians. Which reminds me to throw them in the gravel bike.

As for temp, I'll go down to about 15 with goggles, but after that I can't help my hands warm. Back in 2004, we managed to not miss a single weekend of riding, but now I'm old and soft, er wise.

bcgav
01-13-2015, 09:20 PM
I can tolerate 30-35F for about 2 hours, then need to stop to warmup for the last 2 hours.

On the high end, heat index of 95-100 with no issues on D2R2 and centuries, apparently genetically and/or physiologically heat tolerant.

mod6
01-13-2015, 09:21 PM
Low to mid twenties is doable for a MTB ride. I'm done with the road when the temps get below 40

msl819
01-13-2015, 09:26 PM
There are more factors for me than just the temp. But I would say 30 if it not going to warm much or quickly. If there is a lot of humidity that may change. And I don't like to ride in the wet regardless of temp but in Louisiana you will get caught in it at some point.

shovelhd
01-13-2015, 09:26 PM
At some point there's just no training value in it.

Yeah, I was referring to when I was commuting, which is not training for me. It was clear last weekend, but too cold for two hours of tempo, and the roads weren't wide enough either, so inside it was.

downtube
01-13-2015, 09:32 PM
I guess I am not very tough, I ride on the road and 40 is about as cold as I go. Even 40 is too cold some days. I don't have much in the way of cold weather clothes which could account for some of my issue. But really I just don't like the cold.
chuck

Louis
01-13-2015, 09:37 PM
At reasonable temps (above 32* F) facial hair helps a lot.

eBAUMANN
01-13-2015, 09:37 PM
I commute in anything...which meant 0* last week, maybe even negatives...

For recreation, anything below 25* and I'm finding something else to do ;)

christian
01-13-2015, 09:40 PM
22-23d, with an effective windchill somewhere around 15d. But in truth, if it's below 32 I'm 50/50 trail running.

parris
01-13-2015, 09:40 PM
upper 20's if the roads are dry. Like others have mentioned once salt is on the roads I pretty much stay off the road till rains and such wash it away.

justinrchan
01-13-2015, 09:43 PM
I will go out above 0 as long as there is no ice on the road.
As for the opposite, I have been out over 100 degrees but probably won't be doing that again.

KJMUNC
01-13-2015, 09:48 PM
The ice cream headache goes away after 20 minutes. My threshold is 15-20. Having said that, I'm done freezing my butt off. I'm doing intensity on the trainer and running this winter.

You guys have inspired me to give it another go tomorrow AM. Supposed to be 36, so I'm hoping those extra two degrees make a difference!

JAGI410
01-13-2015, 09:55 PM
-23F before wind chill is my cold record, and +115 is my hot record from when I lived in Phoenix.

With wind chill, not accounting for bike speed, I think the lowest I've done is -60F. I have my gear pretty well "dialed" now, I don't fear any temp, it's more wind speeds that will keep me inside. Anything over 30mph and I dread getting on a bike.

http://i1035.photobucket.com/albums/a434/JAGI410/b66247bc-a106-4dde-848f-b9298a14820b_zps615a8a29.png (http://s1035.photobucket.com/user/JAGI410/media/b66247bc-a106-4dde-848f-b9298a14820b_zps615a8a29.png.html)

eBAUMANN
01-13-2015, 10:00 PM
^ THAT is time-to-move weather in my book haha

FlashUNC
01-13-2015, 10:39 PM
Freezing is my limit. Below that and I break out the rollers. (Who am I kidding. Below that and I just don't ride.)

velomonkey
01-13-2015, 10:48 PM
I'm with the OP - I'll go with a group if it's below 40 and not too wet & windy but about the lowest I go is freezing. By myself, I dunno a bit above 35 and not too windy. It's just lame, my lower back gets all tight, I don't feel the bike looking all like the michelin man - and I got into this cause of the bike.

My basement is right around 50 and I do the rollers - it kinda blows in a lot of ways, but one of them is you get all cold, then you warm, then you put a fan yourself as heat up - then you stop and you're freeing.

Basically the older I get, the less purpose winter has in my silly world.

CNY rider
01-14-2015, 05:38 AM
I commute on crappy winter bikes like old MTB's so the salt isn't an issue.
My commute to work is 7.5 miles.
I have found through trial and error that I am OK down to an air temp of -10F.
Below that I just can't seem to keep moving. Muscles have no power.

And this morning it's -12F so I am enjoying this leisurely breakfast and forum time before driving to work!:banana:

keevon
01-14-2015, 06:12 AM
I'll commute down to -10F air temperature. For recreational riding, I can do about 2 hours in the mid-teens, but it's slow. Anything above 30F feels pretty normal.

Ralph
01-14-2015, 06:15 AM
There is a reason Florida just surpassed NY state in population to become the 3rd most populated state. Life is easy here. Unfortunately, many jobs want to pay you in sunshine. So best to bring your money with you when you come.

Being old myself, I can deal with summer heat and humidity by just going out early. But cold gets more difficult all the time to deal with. Don't mind going out at 40, the few mornings we have that, IF I know it's going to be in 60's in a couple hours. Incredible amount of year around cycling around here, even though to some of you it's too easy. But when you get older, you appreciate that also. Of course....a hammerfest where you never stop pedaling for 40-50 miles on flat and rolling hills is a workout, no matter which state it is in. You will use all those small cassete cogs on a typical ride around here.

Stay warm folks. Some of those temps you are riding in can kill or injure you if you miscalculate how cold it is.

charliedid
01-14-2015, 06:39 AM
At 51, all I can say is it used to be much lower. In fact, it never really ever stopped my commuter rides until last year. I've taken the train the last week or so. It's currently 7 in Chicago and I just don't have it in me. And I have all the clothing required to deal with it and some. It will be 30ish the rest of the week and I will be on the bike.

My wife is from Nor-Cal and has had just about enough.

That said "Never judge a day by it's weather"

guido
01-14-2015, 06:44 AM
Below freezing and I'm on the Kurt Kinetic...

dekindy
01-14-2015, 07:00 AM
Tell me how long we are going to be out. Unless you go into Ice Biking mode, once it gets below a certain temperature, anything over an hour and everybody is going to be getting cold.

Jgrooms
01-14-2015, 07:09 AM
So much depends on wind. And is the sun going to shine. Started gravel ride a few weeks back at 17. Group huge motivation! No wind, which is rare in KS. And bright sun. Slower speeds on gravel (mtb in woods next option).

25 yesterday for 3 hrs on a sheltered hill loop.

32 start - 37 finish today, going to be sweet!

Good gear & working out how it works for you is huge. If you can keep the feet warm a lot is possible.

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/01/14/1c790c0a8f6edd0eb2d7f0b3b9676c66.jpg

danielpack22@ma
01-14-2015, 07:10 AM
Single digit temps for a few hours is fine. I dress like I'm going on a deep sea dive in the Arctic Circle and I've learned to carry my water bottle inside my jersey. On the flip side... If it's over 85 degrees and I'm on a climb, you'll see me angling my bike toward any available shade while I melt like Frosty in the greenhouse.

unterhausen
01-14-2015, 07:23 AM
I'm more worried about ice than the temps. I commute or go out in the woods with studded tires without much concern for temps, although it rarely gets below 10F around here. Last night I got an ice cream headache on a short descent on my commute -- not fun. I should break out the balaclava

fuzzalow
01-14-2015, 07:39 AM
I have cycled for a lifetime and I have found I am driven less and less to do the winter miles out of a sense of competition and duty. Nuthin' better for base mileage than a hourlong slog into a 18mph headwind all the way home. I used to enjoy the challenge but in recent years it's felt more like misery. The less I care about being fast the less I care about the drudgery and futility of holding onto base through the winter.

My record was 2 degrees but with no wind - as long as you don't have to stop to repair a puncture and cover up it won't be a problem. But I wouldn't do that now.

I live 5 minutes from Central Park and it is easy to get a few laps in anytime I want. The Park's Drives are relatively quiet of bike traffic when it's 25F outside and it is one of the few chances for a semblance of solitude in riding the Park. I rode in falling snow on New Year's Day - just me, a few runners and the omnipresent tourists on the midtown side of the Park. Yeah, it's not always great but it's home.

tumbler
01-14-2015, 07:42 AM
19 deg on my ride in this morning. I've been getting comments in the elevator like, "A little cold be biking, isn't it?". My standard response is "It still beats walking." :bike:

JAllen
01-14-2015, 07:47 AM
There hasn't been a temperature yet that made me say "screw it. I'll take the bus or drive." I've ridden in the teens before but with enough layers I'm good. For me it's when the wind picks up. We can get really strong winds here. On my commute in it is all to my back (It makes a quick ride!) But on my way back after a long day? Facing a headwind and hills on a single speed (currently the only pony in the stable) just takes it out of you. So in short, strong winds are my sign to travel by different means.

jr59
01-14-2015, 08:14 AM
-23F before wind chill is my cold record, and +115 is my hot record from when I lived in Phoenix.

With wind chill, not accounting for bike speed, I think the lowest I've done is -60F. I have my gear pretty well "dialed" now, I don't fear any temp, it's more wind speeds that will keep me inside. Anything over 30mph and I dread getting on a bike.

http://i1035.photobucket.com/albums/a434/JAGI410/b66247bc-a106-4dde-848f-b9298a14820b_zps615a8a29.png (http://s1035.photobucket.com/user/JAGI410/media/b66247bc-a106-4dde-848f-b9298a14820b_zps615a8a29.png.html)

You a strong man! And a true "HARD" man of cycling!

Below 40 and I'm done!

PaMtbRider
01-14-2015, 08:14 AM
It's 22 outside right now. I should get off my butt and go for a ride instead of sitting on the couch surfing the internet. I have ridden into the low teens in many winter past. For some reason this year the high 20's seem to be my limit.

jamesutiopia
01-14-2015, 08:16 AM
-1F (before wind). Once I discovered layering and balaclavas temperature was not a problem (XC skiers are out in this weather all the time). I introduced my better half to the joy of the tandem on a balmy 24F morning in Boston...

SlackMan
01-14-2015, 08:52 AM
I commuted in last week when it was 22* (+wind but don't know windchill). With a pair of shorts, lycra tights, midweight base top, midweight jersey, hardshell jacket, lycra balaclava, and neoprene skull cap and gloves, my body and hands were downright comfy. I grossly underdressed on the socks and had only toe covers on my shoes, so my toes were solid blocks of ice when I arrived at work. I have full neoprene shoe covers that I will wear next time. I've been commuting in while in the mid to upper 30s with the above minus the midweight base layer.

When I lived in Ohio, I would routinely ride in the 20s because I hate rollers / trainers so much. When my car was frozen, I once rode at 12* into town for a haircut, but I wouldn't make habit of that!

gemship
01-14-2015, 09:05 AM
I'll ride down to about 25 degrees, the bigger issue for me is the salt.

Once there is salt down on the road, I'm indoors until the spring rains wash it away. Only exceptions are if there is a prolonged dry and sunny spell, such that the roads are REALLY dry... with no run off. anywhere.

I don't have a garage, my bike comes into my carpeted apartment, so I don't have a good place to clean it up, and I am not going to deal with the slush/salt slurry that will coat everything this time of year if conditions aren't perfect.

Another consideration with road salt is the dust that gets kicked up by car traffic. I find the bad air quality to be a factor. I also don't even like to breathe hard when the air is colder than 25 degrees. Well that may have to do with my getting over pneumonia.

Bostic
01-14-2015, 09:30 AM
In Oct of 2008 I climbed climbed up both sides of Mt. Rose in Reno. 38 at the base, 34 at 8900'. I had a knapsack full of layers to put on and a bunch of chemical warmers. I had to stop at 7500' and surround my feet with the warmers. The 8 mile descent to Incline Village on the North side of Lake Tahoe was a blur and I spent about 45 minutes warming up at Starbucks before starting back up the climb. The 16 mile descent back to Reno was about as miserable as one can feel on a bike. I'm from San Francisco and didn't grow up around snow at all.

I've commuted 17 miles to work in 32 degree weather. Did that several times in 2011-2012. Neoprene booties with chemical warmers and Descente Wombat gloves did the trick.

Now that I spend a lot of time in Reno and Sacramento, I'll take a 105 degree day over 30's any day. The ritual of lathering on sunscreen is more enjoyable for me than layering up for chilly rides.

Seramount
01-14-2015, 09:35 AM
I've finally decided to stop being such a temp wimp and ride in colder weather. mostly to avoid having to use the friggin' rollers...

coldest ever was 19F, but that was with low humidity and zero wind. dial in anything over 15 mph and I'd probably bail...riding in the 30s is pretty doable...

as far as heat, have ridden in 112F...no big deal.

oh, and ANY precip is a deal-killer. I don't do wet...

stien
01-14-2015, 10:05 AM
Road, I'd say 25* with a 10-15mph wind is my limit.

Come winter in New England I'm all over the trails. Snow, rain, cold temps, they don't bother me. You don't go fast enough to shed heat. Got a new full suspension this year that I haven't even had to put snow tires on yet.

My favorite time to ride in the woods is during a night snow storm. Sounds crazy but is totally a blast.

stronzo
01-14-2015, 10:42 AM
I did a ride New Years Eve day that was ~30 with a 10-15 headwind. I was fine thanks to the balaclava and proper gloves, but I don't think I'd want to do much colder than that.

On the other end of the spectrum, I'm usually OK riding up to 105 (I grew up playing soccer in south Texas), but I'll usually try to get out before dark in the summer to avoid such extremes. Also, I once tried to race in such heat, ran out of water about 10 miles before the finish, and popped like a balloon. :help:

p nut
01-14-2015, 11:01 AM
With my current gear, 15 deg. But I'm taking to dark, early morning, cold-weather riding more and more (probably due to the solitude). Will probably start piling up on winter gear in the spring. My feet are #1 priority.

moobikes
01-14-2015, 11:06 AM
I can tolerate about 25F but my feet always freeze. Every other body part is fine.

Bob Ross
01-14-2015, 11:49 AM

I still have not found an absolute number where I just say "Nope, that's too cold for bicycling."

What usually happens is that even before we get ridiculously cold temps there's a lot of ice or snow on the roads, plus high frigid winds, and that's what stops me from riding.

This week I've been pushing the envelope close to the point of stupid: E.g. yesterday when I rode home from work it was 19°F with a 16mph headwind, which according to weather.com translated to a wind chill factor of 6°F. It kind of sucked...although I think if I had known I would be riding in 6° I might have worn a couple different items and been fine.

Lowest actual temperature I've ever gone riding in was 11°F (wind chill factor ostensibly made that day 8°F) but that was mostly for bragging rights, and to see what it felt like.

I guess somewhere around single digits F is where I'd think "eh, screw it, not worth riding today."

[edit: But I never "make the transition to indoors". If I can't ride outdoors I won't ride; to me there's absolutely nothing fun about being on a bicycle if you're not actually moving through fresh air.]

unterhausen
01-14-2015, 11:53 AM
I can tolerate about 25F but my feet always freeze. Every other body part is fine.

at that temp, I'm wearing my 45nrth Fasterkatts. Much lower and I wear my Wulvhammers. That was expensive, but not having excruciating foot pain from losing circulation in my feet is well worth it. For me, even neoprene shoe covers weren't warm enough.

Bob Ross
01-14-2015, 11:54 AM
I wear my Wulvhammers.

Been eyeing those. Any issues with chainstay clearance?

unterhausen
01-14-2015, 11:58 AM
I haven't ridden the wulfhammers on the road, so I'm not sure about clearance. I suppose it depends on how your feet sit on the pedals. I probably would ride the fasterkatts on the road because they aren't as heavy. I rode a 200k last year with them where it never got above 20F, and I was happy with them. Maybe not adequate at that temperature if you have Raynaud's syndrome

Last year's fasterkatts had some serious zipper issues, the new ones are awesome though. Same thing with wulfhammers, first year had zipper problems

bking
01-14-2015, 12:04 PM

Let the mocking begin.

with that confession you'll have to change your handle mudshark. Maybe zsunflower or something?

And, please don't think i'm laughing at you. I was once caught out in the rain. Took a few minutes before i realized what it was. We don't allow that much here.

idrinkwater
01-14-2015, 01:32 PM
I rode in 18 degree windchill last week. I turned around after an hour when my toes started throbbing. Luckily, I live in Florida, so I have the ability to wait a few days til things warm up. My ride yesterday was in the mid. 60s

This is the ONLY lucky thing about living in Florida, mind you.

FastforaSlowGuy
01-14-2015, 01:35 PM
I can ride into the low 20s, but it isn't fun and my limit is about 1.5-2 hrs. Once it hits high 20s/low 30s I can put in some miles. But nothing over tempo in cold temps or I run into breathing problems. My limiter (assuming clear roads) is my feet. Heat packs and booties can only do so much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OtayBW
01-14-2015, 02:36 PM
Low 20's is OK. It's the road conditions (black ice, etc.) that dictates it for me more than anything.

buldogge
01-14-2015, 10:20 PM
Agreed...but once it drops into the teens, I usually find myself finding excuses/justifications/tasks that allow me to avoid riding.

This week has not been a good one in the STL...back on the bike tomorrow for sure though!

-Mark in St. Louis

Low 20's is OK. It's the road conditions (black ice, etc.) that dictates it for me more than anything.

aramis
01-14-2015, 10:50 PM
It was in the 40's in Norcal at the beginning of my ride and I was in a regular summer jersey/shorts/arm warmers and thin gloves. It was cold at first but always warms up. I think it was in the 60's at the end of the ride.

I decided this year that when it's cold I stick to the trainer except for races/group rides since during those you are too busy worrying about riding to let the colder weather bug you.

Here the range is so small and most of the year it's so nice that I just am a wuss and don't go out when I don't like the weather.

Polyglot
01-15-2015, 12:15 AM
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showpost.php?p=433230&postcount=12

-30°

Stainless spokes seem to be very brittle in cold weather. You also don't want to have a technical when the temperatures are cold.

onekgguy
01-15-2015, 07:57 AM
I was out on my fat-tire Mukluk in -17º f last winter for a couple hours. It's the only bike I'll use in those conditions though. There's limited training value in it but that's not necessarily my point in being out there. I'm just trying to cheat winter a couple hours at a time. Plus, I get a kick out of people thinking I'm a little off my rocker for being out there in those conditions.

20s and up works fine otherwise for my road bike. The key I tell people is in not overdressing. You want to be chilled when you walk out your door. If you're at all comfortable (warmth-wise) when you begin your ride you're overdressed. It may take a couple miles to warm up but you will.

Kevin g

bikerboy337
01-15-2015, 10:03 AM
Its the ice! I try to avoid roads near me this time of year as the salt and sand is just nasty... so i try to stick to the bike paths we have around, i can usually end up getting a nice 20 miles in with no traffic, which i like in the winter as I dont trust drivers...

This is what i dealt with today though... got about 5 miles of riding in at 7mph average... just ice the whole way... was able to ride the grass for sections, but in most of the way there was no grass/shoulder off the path, so i was going 2-3 mph or walking across slick ice...

remind me why i left California again?
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/01/15/7c90971d8b321a7767b33e8a6e602f6b.jpg

sandyrs
01-15-2015, 03:13 PM
It was colder than I expected today by about five degrees (25 vs 30, big difference) and turned out to be quite wet, but I had an extra layer on hand so I discovered that riding on the road for 2 hours in 25 degrees and freezing rain is totally doable, as long as you're willing to get acquainted with a thin layer of ice coating all of your frontal area:

http://photos-h.ak.instagram.com/hphotos-ak-xaf1/t51.2885-15/10903257_1406253149669183_725081215_n.jpg

Consider this a ringing endorsement for the Rapha Pro Team jacket.

chengher87
01-15-2015, 03:20 PM
Its the ice! I try to avoid roads near me this time of year as the salt and sand is just nasty... so i try to stick to the bike paths we have around, i can usually end up getting a nice 20 miles in with no traffic, which i like in the winter as I dont trust drivers...

This is what i dealt with today though... got about 5 miles of riding in at 7mph average... just ice the whole way... was able to ride the grass for sections, but in most of the way there was no grass/shoulder off the path, so i was going 2-3 mph or walking across slick ice...

remind me why i left California again?
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/01/15/7c90971d8b321a7767b33e8a6e602f6b.jpg

That's the Washington secondary bike path! I absolutely love the newly paved 7 miles or so that they finished since July. Now....if they would slightly improve the West Warwick portion of that bike path and it would be golden!

Vinci
01-15-2015, 03:26 PM
I generally won't commute under 50*.

Florida has too many nice days to ride on cold/rainy ones.

I imagine my limits would be very different if I lived somewhere that actually had a winter. I couldn't just write off half the year for cycling.

Cicli
01-15-2015, 03:57 PM

Yep me too. No more outside when it's 10 degrees for me. I run on a treadmill. Did it last year and was way better off. I run 10k every other day. I like it better than the trainer.

FastforaSlowGuy
01-15-2015, 04:52 PM
It was colder than I expected today by about five degrees (25 vs 30, big difference) and turned out to be quite wet, but I had an extra layer on hand so I discovered that riding on the road for 2 hours in 25 degrees and freezing rain is totally doable, as long as you're willing to get acquainted with a thin layer of ice coating all of your frontal area:

http://photos-h.ak.instagram.com/hphotos-ak-xaf1/t51.2885-15/10903257_1406253149669183_725081215_n.jpg

Consider this a ringing endorsement for the Rapha Pro Team jacket.

That's a great jacket. Sheds water, wind, breathes like a champ.

marciero
01-15-2015, 06:08 PM
Between Marmot 8000 meter down liner mitts/overmitts and the Wolvhammer boots, I've pretty well addressed my trouble areas (though my left foot has been getting cold so still use chemical toe warmers sometimes). I'm good for about 2 hrs into single digits with no wind. But for the most part teens is my bottom.

neubilder
01-15-2015, 06:31 PM
I've been testing this to find my threshold and I've found anything colder than -7C (20F) isn't too much fun. Below these temps the biggest problem is the need to keep my face warm and the resulting soppy feeling of breathing through a balaclava. Above -3C (25F) is great once I get going.

Louis
01-15-2015, 06:36 PM
This bring up a question I've been thinking about for a while:

How many folks here plan on retiring to a location that allows year-round cycling without bundling up like a snow-man? I'm about 5 years away and this sort of thing is getting more and more interesting.

neubilder
01-15-2015, 06:57 PM
This is the first year that I've really been comfortable riding at sub-zero temperatures though, and it's entirely thanks to getting set up with the right clothing.

neubilder
01-15-2015, 07:04 PM

How many folks here plan on retiring to a location that allows year-round cycling without bundling up like a snow-man? I'm about 5 years away and this sort of thing is getting more and more interesting.

I'm still a ways away from retirement but cycling certainly plays a huge role in deciding where I want to live. In fact that's what I'm facing right now. I currently live in Toronto, which is essentially cycling hell. Too cold, too hot, and too much urban sprawl.

For me cold temps aren't so much the deterrent, I used to live in Boston which I regard as a cycling paradise - in spite of the cold. New England countryside looks gorgeous with frost and I'll suffer to be able to enjoy it.

Louis
01-15-2015, 07:29 PM
New England countryside looks gorgeous with frost and I'll suffer to be able to enjoy it.

True, but CA near Solvang (to pick one of many alternatives) is pretty nice too, and the only suffering you'd have to do would be self-inflicted to your legs and lungs:

http://www.cyclingescapes.com/bicycletours/california/big-sur-coast/photos/day11.jpg

bikinchris
01-15-2015, 09:52 PM
When I was young, I would ride at any temperature as long as the road was dry. Of course, living in Louisiana, the coldest I ever rode in was 24 degrees.

Nowadays, it is 50 degrees.

shovelhd
01-15-2015, 10:15 PM

I'm about where you are in life, and family will keep me here in New England for the foreseeable future. I may get out of Mass though.

majorpat
01-15-2015, 10:24 PM
I think about warmer places all the time, but which ones? Lived in the South, which is too humid/hot. Kind of the opposite of CNY winter. California seems like a good idea but far from our families on the east coast. Ok, the hell with it, how about Spain?

Do any of you in year round, un bundled up riding locations ever get burned out on the bike? Blasphemy, I know.

Louis
01-15-2015, 10:31 PM
I may get out of Mass though.

I would think western Mass (and CT) would be pretty good for cycling spring through fall, but definitely not ideal in winter.

What stinks about St Louis is that we have two bad seasons, winter and summer.

neubilder
01-15-2015, 10:38 PM
True, but CA near Solvang (to pick one of many alternatives) is pretty nice too, and the only suffering you'd have to do would be self-inflicted to your legs and lungs:

See? This is the conundrum, do I save these places for trips, or make them the backdrop for everyday life? I cycled down the California coast from Washington to Big Sur along the old Hwy 1 / 101 many years ago and it was one of the best trips of my life. Breathing the fresh west coast air...it doesn't get any better than that.

Louis
01-15-2015, 10:49 PM
I think about warmer places all the time, but which ones?

Here's one way to think of things:

shovelhd
01-16-2015, 06:30 AM
I would think western Mass (and CT) would be pretty good for cycling spring through fall, but definitely not ideal in winter.

What stinks about St Louis is that we have two bad seasons, winter and summer.

It is, but I have no ties here, and the NH sea coast is calling.

vav
01-16-2015, 08:16 AM
For MTBing I can do it in the teens.

For commuting I can do it in the high teens (very reluctantly) and twenties, etc

Regular road riding above 40 for me

neubilder
01-16-2015, 01:18 PM
I'm looking outside longingly right now, needing a break to get some air, but it's -9 (15F) and dropping. I'm going to give it a shot and I'll report back.

Update: I managed just over 10 miles and decided it was enough. The weak points were gloves (freezing fingertips), and exposed skin on face. ....Sigh.

Louis
01-16-2015, 01:42 PM
It is, but I have no ties here, and the NH sea coast is calling.

My sister lives in mid-coast Maine (close, but not right on the water - that's $$$). Talk about sea coast up there. But at least for the parts I've seen the roads aren't great for cycling, and of course the winter sucks.

KJMUNC
01-16-2015, 02:28 PM

http://www.cyclingescapes.com/bicycletours/california/big-sur-coast/photos/day11.jpg

.....don't forget the suffering to your wallet every year come tax time. As a newly departed former CA resident I can say that was my biggest deterrent to staying there long term.

FlashUNC
01-16-2015, 03:16 PM
Considering I went to Target last week in a t-shirt, I can definitely get used to this California weather thing.

We're all going to die of thirst. So a minor problem. But the temperatures are lovely.

Louis
01-16-2015, 10:29 PM
We're all going to die of thirst. So a minor problem. But the temperatures are lovely.

Doesn't look good, and it isn't improving a whole lot:

rounder
01-16-2015, 10:58 PM
I was in Minneapolis for the past two weeks. There were a few days when it was zero or below in the morning (first day was -8). I saw people riding bikes every day...it looked more like transportation than fun.

neubilder
01-16-2015, 11:20 PM
-8 Fahrenheit? ......whoah

rounder
01-16-2015, 11:38 PM
That was the temp displayed on the dashboard of our car.

onekgguy
01-17-2015, 05:26 AM
I was in Minneapolis for the past two weeks. There were a few days when it was zero or below in the morning (first day was -8). I saw people riding bikes every day...it looked more like transportation than fun.

It's both. If you're dressed appropriately it's really no big deal at all so long as you have no mechanical issue that sidelines you for even a few minutes. Having just the right amount of clothing means you'll freeze solid if you do have to stop for anything longer than 10 minutes or so. Dressing warm enough to remain out there standing around means you're way overdressed. It's all about keeping it moving.

Kevin g

majorpat
01-17-2015, 05:52 AM
I wonder if anyone here is a bicycle nomad. Something like Vermont until November then San Diego or Austin until March. Are there any transportable jobs where you can actually make a living?