PDA

View Full Version : 9 & 10 Speed Compatibility ?

Tracer
04-01-2006, 07:41 AM
Can use a Shimano 10 speed crank with a 9 speed drive train? Will the 9 speed chain muck up the shifting up front?

Thanks for your help.

Chris

RedCoeurd'Acier
04-01-2006, 08:56 AM
you might have to use a 10 speed chain, because the 10 spd. crank is designed to use the 10 speed chain. the spacing is a little bit different, than the 9-speed.

Tracer
04-01-2006, 03:00 PM
Now the flip side to that, if I run a 10 speed chain, will that muck up the shifting in the back with a 9 speed cassette?

I think I will be better off going 9 speed all around because I want to be able to use a mtb rear derailleur for additional cassette options.

Thanks

Chris

CalfeeFly
04-01-2006, 06:16 PM
There are plenty of 9 speed cranks that will work better. RoadbikeRider had an article on 10 speed and the compact crank needs the chain and front derailleur. His opinion of the new 10 speed chain was low.

I have a K Force on one bike that I'm riding for the first time tomorrow. Last year I had the SLK. All the compact/regular carbon cranks are 9/10 and you have a nice pick. The article also lamented that doing what you are won't really be possible now. I have 2 bikes with Dura-Ace long cage rear derailleurs...also known as XTR. Campy is way ahead when it comes to choices in rear derailleurs that all are "road" groups.

Good luck. If you have any questions on my set-ups give a shout.

brenick
04-03-2006, 06:31 PM
I have two bikes with Ultegra triples; one is a 9 speed and the other a 10. And I wish I had put 10 speed on both bikes. The chain on the 10 speed is SO..OO thin. I also like having the option of using an XTR derailleur with a larger cassette.

I do like the 52, 39, 30 chainring setup though. And, the shifting on the 10 speed is really smooth.