PDA

View Full Version : Gaerne shoes

Grinta13
01-13-2015, 06:39 AM
I'm interested in and intrigued by Gaerne cycling shoes. However, they are difficult to find here in the US. I found the website and FB page for their US distributor, but it's not really providing me much help in terms of finding some shoes that I can try on for fit/size.

Interested in feedback and comments on high-end Gaerne shoes (G. Stilo and G. Crono). Also would like to hear if anyone knows a simple to way to find some for trying them on.

Thanks.

dekindy
01-13-2015, 07:31 AM
Why the interest when there are so many other available choices at affordable prices?

Grinta13
01-13-2015, 08:21 AM
Why the interest when there are so many other available choices at affordable prices?

My feet seem to be quite finicky and have trouble finding shoes that fit me just right. For example, I love the look of Sidi's and I would love to own a pair, but they just don't feel good on my feet. I have a pair of Specialized S-Works from the previous generation which I love; however, the new generation has a slightly narrower toe box and aren't quite as comfy as the old version. And with Gaerne, I guess there's that bit of fascintation of having a shoe that you don't see everyday on your local group ride.

macaroon
01-13-2015, 08:58 AM
I think Gaerne are quite a wide fit. What about Sidi Mega? Other shoes I've tried with a roomy toe box include Fizik and Shimano (R170)

Anarchist
01-13-2015, 09:26 AM
I think Gaerne are quite a wide fit. What about Sidi Mega? Other shoes I've tried with a roomy toe box include Fizik and Shimano (R170)

And Lake.

jemoryl
01-13-2015, 09:38 AM
I have a pair of Gaerne shoes which are a few years old, but they are excellent. IIRC, the model is the G. Coste carbon (mid-range) with the totally reflective uppers (sort of like Scotchlite). Mine are size 45 don't seem particularly wide, but not super narrow either(for comparison, I wear 45 in Adiddas and Diadora and 44.5 in the newer Fizik R3). They do seem quite expensive but I got a good deal on mine, and I have seen previous year's versions being sold for very attractive prices.

Too bad they aren't more popular. They are actually made in Italy, too.

abalone
01-13-2015, 09:52 AM

That's weird. I tried on some Gaernes a few yrs ago and recall the fit being similar to a Sidi which is a bit more narrow compared to some other shoes out there. Maybe Gaerne has changed to a wider last?

jmoore
01-13-2015, 10:08 AM
If you have shoes that are slightly narrow, then they can be stretched. I wear Northwaves and they changed the last on the latest versions. I bought a pair of Extreme's and they were too narrow so I took them to a shoe repair place and they stretched them out. I think it cost $10. Now they are perfect.

Bob Ross
01-13-2015, 10:09 AM
They are actually made in Italy, too.

Ostensibly in the same town where Sidi's are made! Must be something in the water...

I have a pair of Gaerne shoes that I picked up from some vendor who was exhibiting at the expo for El Tour De Tucson in 2011. Got a great deal on them, which certainly helped motivate the sale, but I mostly picked them up because they fit me better than the Sidi's or S-Works' shoes that I'd tried that same year. Definitely wider than stock (non-mega) Sidi's.

I like them a lot. Would definitely buy them again...but I have no idea where I would buy them again if I had to.

Grinta13
01-13-2015, 10:11 AM
If you have shoes that are slightly narrow, then they can be stretched. I wear Northwaves and they changed the last on the latest versions. I bought a pair of Extreme's and they were too narrow so I took them to a shoe repair place and they stretched them out. I think it cost $10. Now they are perfect.

Interesting. I'll have to do some research to see how this is accomplished. This might help me fit into the new S-Works versions.

malcolm
01-13-2015, 10:12 AM
Can't really speak to the cycling shoes, but the motorcycle boots are top notch. Very well made and durable

Grinta13
01-13-2015, 10:36 AM
Also, I should have been more clear about my complaint with the Sidi's. They are not too narrow for me. The problem I have had with the Sidi's is with the top instep closure. The instep closure mechanism includes a somewhat wide strap across the top of the foot and it extends back into my ankle and rubs the area around my foot/lower shin. So this doesn't change with the mega version.

shovelhd
01-13-2015, 11:40 AM
Chain Reaction sells Gaerne.

jmoore
01-13-2015, 11:44 AM
Interesting. I'll have to do some research to see how this is accomplished. This might help me fit into the new S-Works versions.

The shoe repair places have stretchers. They looks like shoe trees that have a drive screw in them that spreads the area that needs to be stretched. They have little adjusters that can be added if you have a specific spot that needs a bit more. They just insert and crank it open, leave it for a while and crank it again until it's wide enough.

You can actually do this yourself if it doesn't need much work. My NW's were just rubbing a bit on three toes. Not awful, but not perfect. I took a screwdriver and inserted it into the shoe handle first and just rubbed the area until it stretched a bit. It took some doing, but worked like a charm. The shoes have stayed that way ever since. I suppose you could dampen the area to help it along but it wasn't necessary on mine.

OtayBW
01-13-2015, 11:57 AM
Nice shoes, but kind of heavy (the ones I've seen).

12snap
01-13-2015, 12:58 PM
I have an old pair of Gaerne mountain bike shoes that I really liked. I was in the market for new shoes and tried to find a shop within 4 hours of me that sold them. Big Ring Cycles in Golden had one pair in stock but it wasn't my size. Granted, it was late summer so they had sold out of most of their inventory and new shipments weren't due in until the spring.

I contacted these guys: http://www.gaerneshoes.com/default.asp. I asked about buying multiple pairs to try on for size and returning if they didn't work out. They said no problem as long as I didn't mount cleats or wear them outside. I ordered 5 pair of shoes total as I wanted to try some different models and sizes. Ultimately, I returned all of them and they credited my card back very quickly. I was only out return shipping costs. You could spend that much in gas money driving around to different shops trying to find your size in stock.

The distributor said that all of their shoes are based on a C width last. Their upper end shoes are really high quality. The Gaerne fit about the same as Sidi length wise but were a little wider in the toe box area. They were more snug in the heel area which I liked for my narrow feet. I would have loved to find a pair that worked for me but I just couldn't get the fit right.

Keep in mind I was trying on mountain bike shoes but I would expect their road shoes to fit in a similar manner.

12snap
01-13-2015, 01:07 PM
Also, I should have been more clear about my complaint with the Sidi's. They are not too narrow for me. The problem I have had with the Sidi's is with the top instep closure. The instep closure mechanism includes a somewhat wide strap across the top of the foot and it extends back into my ankle and rubs the area around my foot/lower shin. So this doesn't change with the mega version.

I had the same problem with the Sidi shoes that have the ratchet strap. I had to go with the 3 velcro strap version instead.

Grinta13
01-13-2015, 01:22 PM
Thanks 12snap for the input.
I may try contacting the distributor as you did.

Clydesdale
01-13-2015, 09:00 PM
I have a pair of their heavyweight winter cycling boots and I like them a lot. I'm not sure how they translate to their other shoes, but mine run about the same length as comparable sidis and I would not say they are much if any wider than sidi's (though my feet might be narrow enough not to notice?) I have long narrow feet and they fit great. Well made and comfortable in my experience but the winter shoes might not be a good guide for road shoes.