PDA

View Full Version : Rapha Transfer Gilet - Caveat: Pro Team Fit

rando
01-12-2015, 04:16 PM
I enjoy the cooler spectrum of weather for riding. Specifically this is going to mainly be used under a PT race cape despite being intended for more casual pursuits. If chasea or anyone else could offer me a knowledgeable opinion on sizing down for that use I would be grateful.

For general information I take a XS PT baselayer over a S PT jersey at 6' tall. Were it not for overdeveloped shoulders resulting from years of rock climbing both of those would be the smallest adult size. I'm concerned the XS will actually be cut for someone considerably shorter.

rando
01-13-2015, 07:34 AM
Not even an internet expert in the bunch to mock my insubstantial physique, bump for the morning crowd.

:rolleyes:

FlashUNC
01-13-2015, 07:52 AM
As an owner of the Transfer Jacket, I'm not sure how it could fit under a pro team anything, honestly.

The primaloft insulation needs air to work, and sandwiching it between two form fitting layers seems to restrict that ability to a great degree.

I love the jacket, well made and keeps me warm, but not sure how I'd fit it under something race cut and still have it work.

rando
01-13-2015, 08:21 AM
Race cut in Winter conditions factors in layers of trapped air for both warmth and moisture management. Any vest should be primarily intended for use as an outer layer and this will fulfill that function when conditions permit. That said, sometimes you just need more core warmth under a light shell than you need bulk constricting your moving parts ability to absorb shocks, ie rough sledding.

Based on what I've gotten by with jamming under that jacket it would take an overstuffed 50 fill down fashionable joke to be too tight before it entered the pinch points above the arms.

robin3mj
01-13-2015, 08:28 AM
I have the jacket, and just ordered the vest version via the sale.
Some data points:
I wear medium Rapha bibs, medium in their regular jerseys, but have a large pro team jersey and wind jacket.

But echoing the comment above, unless you are intentionally sizing up on your outer layer, there is going to be some bunching.

rando
01-13-2015, 08:48 AM
I lost my original thought in the concern being expressed. There is no width or girth to interfere with extra height being absorbed by the volume of the jacket. I'm willing to step into adventurous terrain and chance it stuffing in there when needed.

What I really want to know is how long it is compared to a PT fit jersey. Longer, shorter, or just right? Bunching up at the waist or not covering vital organs are both problems that would make it a no sell.

FlashUNC
01-13-2015, 09:10 AM
Fwiw, all the transfer stuff I've tried is cut decidedly apres velo, whereas any of the pro team stuff I've tried is cut for on the bike. I don't see how the vest wouldn't be longer in the front and either lead to some poking out at the bottom at best or lead to some bunching with the PT jacket at worst.

rando
01-13-2015, 09:21 AM
I did note the casually on purpose city riding/apres velo design intent in my first post. Judging from the helpful responses this question garnered I'm going to go ahead and size down expecting a good length for the more upright position on my Winter bike.

Thank you for your replies to a somewhat confusing set of priorities.

Hank Scorpio
01-13-2015, 10:22 AM
Rats! I ordered this too and now reading this thread it seams that I went too big. I should have read the description a bit closer.

chasea
01-13-2015, 10:24 AM
I wear large in Pro Team and medium in everything City. That's said, even sizing down, I don't see you getting a Transfer Gilet under a Pro Team Race Cape. I'd suggest more form fitting stuff, like heavier (Winter or Deep Winter) base layers and perhaps a mid-layer like a LS Pro Team Jersey. That stuff is also purpose-built for riding.

I know the Gilet is currently really cheap, but I wouldn't let the price steer you away from other good deals that will better serve your intended purpose.

rando
01-13-2015, 03:04 PM
Ha, Rapha is never cheap. Ownership just proves you are not. At least not always. I appreciate you taking the time to offer your informed opinion that has given me some pause.

eippo1
01-13-2015, 03:26 PM
I ordered a Tranfer Gilet in Large and usually wear large jerseys. Sizing down would restrict my shoulders too much.

Also as far as stuffing it, you're basically making it worthless as an insulating layer. It should be on the outside w/ tight layers underneath or allowed to expand fully underneath with a looser layer on top. You'd be better off with something else like windstopper fleece for this purpose.

rando
01-21-2015, 05:31 PM
Turns out I was right. It doesn't fit like a Pro Team item but it does fit like it was designed for someone with that long lean body type. XS is perfect for wearing over a ls PT jersey and fits wonderfully under the PT race cape, for me.

:banana: