PDA

View Full Version : Speak to me of Time carbon frames...

paredown
01-12-2015, 11:36 AM
Still daydreaming about trying out a plastic bike. Still dreaming about a Look 585 falling into my lap, and seriously considered the bargain 595 [corrected] that was recently in the Classifieds, but could not figure out quickly enough if it would fit with the seatpost cut.

Along the way, I went back and looked at the posting about the Time frames on clearance at Bicycle Odyssey in Sausilito (http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/bik/4800138097.html), but while I was dithering and trying to get up to speed, the two affordable frames (~$1000) sold, and what is left is a bit pricey for me. The two bargains that would have fit were a VX Racer L red $1000 and a Edge VX L flat clear $1000.

So who ride a Time and loves it?

If you were shopping for a used Time frame, would you consider the older Racer/Edge (which I like because it is a more classic look with the round tubes)--or is there something absolutely compelling about one (or more?) of the newer frames?

Joachim
01-12-2015, 11:39 AM
RX Instinct, love it. Wish I had more time to ride it. Rides similar to my Firefly I had. Best production carbon bike I've ever ridden. I have a one in, one out policy and might be for sale soon to make space for a custom.

Steve in SLO
01-12-2015, 11:46 AM
I have had both VXR and VXRS ULteams in size XL, and they are probably the best carbon frames I have ridden... Smooth, relatively stiff, and handle wonderfully. The only complaint some have had is that the earlier models had a bit of head to flex, which I believe was worked out of the later models. Mine have been the earlier models, and at 190 pounds I feel the flex, but it does not translate into loss of power or poor handling.
I like the look of the earlier models, but that is just me. I still own a VXR, and I'm not considering selling it.

old fat man
01-12-2015, 11:49 AM
I also lust after the Times. I believe the Edge model is their budget offering and, while it is no doubt a great option, it is not made with the same quality of carbon as their higher end framesets. I think the Edge might have been made in Asia to Time's specifications?

FlashUNC
01-12-2015, 11:51 AM
I had a VXR and had to sell it as part of the move to West Coast. I miss that bike tremendously. If I'm ever going to get another carbon bike, it'll be a Time.

As others mentioned, stiff, stable, but not a harsh ride while avoiding that "wooden" feeling so many carbon frames have in my experience. Wonderful balance to it all.

It was the most steel-like ride I've ever gotten out of a carbon bike. Which is about the highest compliment I can pay it I think.

AngryScientist
01-12-2015, 11:55 AM
never owned a time, but i would love love love to own one of these. probably never happen though.

http://www.dhresource.com/albu_279577354_00-1.0x0/time-rxr-ulteam-module-road-bike-frameset.jpg

54ny77
01-12-2015, 11:58 AM
I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that that bike, based on the logos, is made by Time.

Reminds me of my Specialized carbon somethinorother. Sometimes I'm not sure what it is, so I have to check one of the 18 logos to remind me. :D

never owned a time, but i would love love love to own one of these. probably never happen though.

http://www.dhresource.com/albu_279577354_00-1.0x0/time-rxr-ulteam-module-road-bike-frameset.jpg

r_mutt
01-12-2015, 12:08 PM
C50 front wheel and bogus bora rear?

pinarello most stem?

that's one confused bike

old fat man
01-12-2015, 12:22 PM
C50 front wheel and bogus bora rear?

pinarello most stem?

that's one confused bike

perhaps something like this?

http://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/2015-Time-RXRS-Carbon-Frame-Road_60102792414.html

http://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Carbon-Bike-Road-Frameset-Fork-Seatpost_60087773484.html

dave thompson
01-12-2015, 12:22 PM
I had a Time VXR and loved it. Sold it to a guy that manages a local Specialized LBS. It's his main ride, he loves it.

paredown
01-12-2015, 12:29 PM
perhaps something like this?

http://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/2015-Time-RXRS-Carbon-Frame-Road_60102792414.html

http://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Carbon-Bike-Road-Frameset-Fork-Seatpost_60087773484.html
I've always assumed that if something is on Alibaba for an unbelievable price that it is counterfeit...

Steve in SLO
01-12-2015, 12:32 PM
I've always assumed that if something is on Alibaba for an unbelievable price that it is counterfeit...

I've always assumed that if anything is on Alibaba it is counterfeit.

kgreene10
01-12-2015, 12:33 PM
I really enjoyed my Edge Racer but was underwhelmed by my RX Instinct. I personally wouldn't get an older Time because carbon building techniques gave come a long way in the intervening years. Much cheaper frames won't have the name appeal but may perform as well. For instance, my Fisher Cronus is on par with the NX Insticnt and can be had very cheaply.

A new Skylon? Count me in.

KJMUNC
01-12-2015, 12:35 PM
Owned a VXRS and loved it. Was a little big for me and had some BB corrosion issues (there's a thread about this) but Time fixed it and I'm always looking for in in my size (XL) to add to the stable.

Tracks incredibly well, light enough, and solid to put the power down. Seems like there are always a number of them out there for sale so I'd suggest picking one up and giving it a shot.

MadRocketSci
01-12-2015, 12:35 PM
I also lust after the Times. I believe the Edge model is their budget offering and, while it is no doubt a great option, it is not made with the same quality of carbon as their higher end framesets. I think the Edge might have been made in Asia to Time's specifications?

Edge series means round tube profiles at the lugs, and the use of HS (high strength) rather than HM (high modulus) carbon fibers in the layup. The round profiles reduce costs in manufacturing. The HS fibers are less stiff, but more flexible, whereas the HM fibers are stiffer but more brittle. You can make a frame just as stiff with HS, it just takes more fibers and thus makes the frame a little heavier. At some level in the Edge series you lost the Vectran in the main tubes (but kept it in the fork). Some had AL vs carbon bottom brackets.

I believe the Edge series weren't designed to be quite as stiff as the VX* race series, because they were meant more for privateers, fast recreational riders, and grand fondo types.

The Asian frames made to Time's specs were the "Speeder" series frames.

thirdgenbird
01-12-2015, 12:41 PM
I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that that bike, based on the logos, is made by Time.

Reminds me of my Specialized carbon somethinorother. Sometimes I'm not sure what it is, so I have to check one of the 18 logos to remind me. :D

I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that bike, based on the other parts, is not made by time at all.

kramnnim
01-12-2015, 12:42 PM
and seriously considered the bargain 695 that was recently in the Classifieds, but could not figure out quickly enough if it would fit with the seatpost cut.

...which 695 was that?

paredown
01-12-2015, 01:05 PM
...which 695 was that?

Oops--it was a 595 (corrected above):
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=161094&highlight=595

The seller PM'd me to let me know he had sent it back to the person he bought it from since the size was incorrect on the original eBay posting and it turned out to be too small for him.

54ny77
01-12-2015, 01:13 PM
EXACTLY.

I think that site is one massive fraud.

abalone
01-12-2015, 01:29 PM
I really enjoyed my Edge Racer but was underwhelmed by my RX Instinct. I personally wouldn't get an older Time because carbon building techniques gave come a long way in the intervening years. Much cheaper frames won't have the name appeal but may perform as well. For instance, my Fisher Cronus is on par with the NX Insticnt and can be had very cheaply.

A new Skylon? Count me in.

That's too bad that you wouldn't give the old carbon bikes a chance. I happen to have an older Time frame and I luuuuv the ride of it. Stiff enough and very comfy. It's true that carbon bike technology has improved by leaps and bounds since the days of aluminum lugs and glued carbon tubes, and yes now you have lighter oversized carbon tubes and monocoque construction replacing those older aluminum lugs. This makes the new modern carbon bikes lighter, stiffer, and with good design for compliance can be comfy too, or at least comfy enough given the great stiffness that all the magazines drool over.

I have a newer Giant carbon frame. It's a modern ultra high-end expensive frame. It totally rips. It's a great crit bike, and even a great road race bike. However, to me stiffness is one of of things that, IMO, is kinda overrated. For all my long, meandering, long rides comfort is where it's at, and I'm going with my old school Time bike. :)

Tex Willer
01-12-2015, 01:54 PM
After 20yrs on steel and ti I got a NXS and love it a lot. Time racing geo is quite fun to ride, the rear is nearly as compliant as a steel frame and it accelerates well

Keith A
01-12-2015, 01:58 PM
I've posted on this subject several times on the forum and you will find this topic along with the Look 585/595 has come up several times. Bottom line is that my VXR is one of best bikes I've ridden.

El Chaba
01-12-2015, 02:20 PM
I have a VXRS. I can't think of a single thing that it can't do on the road as well as any bike that I have ever ridden. They are extremely well made and well engineered frames.

milkbaby
01-12-2015, 08:42 PM
I have an RXRS and love the ride. A friend has a World Star and it's his fave. Another friend has an Asian made Speeder and enjoys it.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy an older round tubed Time as a backup bike and almost have.

Steve in SLO
01-12-2015, 10:13 PM
So what is the successor to the VXR series? Is it the NXR? RXR?

eBAUMANN
01-12-2015, 10:40 PM
I had an RX Instinct a couple years back, same generation as Joachim's, it was a great riding frame that I raced and rode pretty hard while I had it, including a 315mi 3 day weekend which it handled like a champ.
Super light, stiff in the right places, but still very comfortable.

I just have a hard time getting emotionally attached to carbon frames, also it had a BB30 shell...which creaked a few too many times, so it was sold.

professerr
01-12-2015, 11:05 PM
I too have a VXRS, which seems to be a sort of cult classic. I like it very much, and like the OP it is my first carbon bike (well, first since a sponsored carbon Giant bike in the 90s). That said, I mooched a modern S-Works SL4 for a couple weeks a while back and overall think it is a superior performing frame, especially on descents. Really quite ugly though to me, and not the same steel-like lively feel as the vxrs, fwiw. Added: On balance, for my non-racing riding, I prefer the Time for its feel and aesthetics.

FlashUNC
01-12-2015, 11:48 PM
So what is the successor to the VXR series? Is it the NXR? RXR?

Its a bit odd, but I think the current RX Instinct line is supposed to be the inheritor of the VXR mantle.

The other, new stuff is either more aero or aimed at the weight weenie crowd.

fogrider
01-12-2015, 11:57 PM
I have a VXRS. I can't think of a single thing that it can't do on the road as well as any bike that I have ever ridden. They are extremely well made and well engineered frames.

I too have a VXRS, and it looks very much like yours! it's a sweet ride...is it the best handling bike I have? No, but then its tough to build a bike that handles better than a Rock Lobster and the Ron Cooper.

Rebel_Biker
01-13-2015, 10:02 AM
I rode an RX Instinct here in Santa Fe.

I have to say, I hated it the first couple of rides. I was not used to the soft front end. I thought the HT was a total "noodle." I gave it some time before selling and buying a new bike. Once I got used to the softer front end, I loved it. It climbs like a billy goat. It has the same rear end as the RXR Ulteam. Stiff and fast. But, the soft front end really brings a lot of comfort, once you get used to it. The ride that took me over the top was our ski basin climb. The climb was the most comfortable I have ever had. I was nervous that the descent would be a challenge. An analogy is when you get new skis. It takes a couple of days to find their sweet spot. Once I found the Time's sweet spot, it descended incredibly. I was very comfortable throwing this bike into huge sweepers at over 50 mph. That front flex did not cause any wobble. In fact, it just made the bike more comfortable on the descent. I am a bigger cyclist, at 190lbs, so a lighter guy may not get as a progressive flex as I did. But I think Time's philosophy of a stiff rear and more flexible front works. At least for me.

wallymann
01-13-2015, 10:37 AM
loved it!

http://majortaylorcycling.org/events/2010_tn_summit_training_camp/31007_1348250478208_1589720920_796713_2799289_n.jp g
http://majortaylorcycling.org/bikes/walter_time_vxrs.jpg

El Chaba
01-13-2015, 11:31 AM
Bouygues Telecom team bikes at the Tour of California....

El Chaba
01-13-2015, 11:35 AM
....and Voeckler's bike from the 2004 Tour....