PDA

View Full Version : See Lance isn't all that bad

Rebel_Biker
01-11-2015, 07:04 PM
Lance Tweated:

Lance Armstrong ‏@lancearmstrong 3h3 hours ago
Got some riders placed for the night. All full now. Best of luck to all those competing tomorrow. #cxnats2015

Details
Lance Armstrong ‏@lancearmstrong 4h4 hours ago
Stranded #cxnats2015 I have 3 2BR units available. Email lancemanager@gmail.com if you are in town for race and need a place

Md3000
01-11-2015, 07:29 PM
Lol that's a good one to tell your mates at home! "We went to Austin to compete in cx nationals but then ended up having beers with lance at his crib"

pbarry
01-11-2015, 07:31 PM
And his assistant handled the details. Lovin it.

Rebel_Biker
01-11-2015, 07:52 PM
And his assistant handled the details. Lovin it.

Understood, but still nice of him to offer the spaces for free. I also understand, it is nice PR.

BumbleBeeDave
01-11-2015, 07:56 PM
. . . I also understand, it is nice PR.

. . . he's doing it for any other reason?

I wonder what his guests are going to find left over in the fridge. :rolleyes:

BBD

pcxmbfj
01-12-2015, 05:30 AM
We all are good/bad and different people at different ages.

Jgrooms
01-12-2015, 07:19 AM
We are all 'good' & 'bad' at the same time, for it is often just the perception of subject upon object.

Grinta13
01-12-2015, 07:41 AM
We are all 'good' & 'bad' at the same time, for it is often just the perception of subject upon object.

Agreed. Unfortunately, too many people would rather paint things in either black or white, when reality is that most things are shades of gray.

Lewis Moon
01-12-2015, 07:57 AM
Agreed. Unfortunately, too many people would rather paint things in either black or white, when reality is that most things are shades of gray.

50 of 'em, as a matter of fact.....

God, I hate myself for that.

firerescuefin
01-12-2015, 07:57 AM
I'll tell you who is not arm-chairing his motives. The people he helped out. I don't care for him, but glad and thankful he did.

peanutgallery
01-12-2015, 08:34 AM
Knowing what I do of -7's reputation, it was all attractive ladies that got a place to stay. I guarantee that it wasn't a sausage fest

jr59
01-12-2015, 09:28 AM
Knowing what I do of -7's reputation, it was all attractive ladies that got a place to stay. I guarantee that it wasn't a sausage fest

Not sure of your point. It's his own home he opened up. Should he not be able to pick who stays there? I'm pretty sure that 7 is not in need of a hook up.

I see it as a good thing for whatever reasons.

FastforaSlowGuy
01-12-2015, 09:32 AM
If we are going to judge Lance by his actions rather than his words on doping, we owe him the same here. Whatever his motives, some folks had a place to stay after USAC left them in the cold. I don't like the guy for what he's done to the people around him and the sport, but I don't think he's Lord Vader either, and I'm willing to admit that hosting some riders for free was a nice move.

velomonkey
01-12-2015, 09:43 AM
OK, so let's judge him on his actions.

He lent some rooms for some people at CX nationals.

I'm just spit balling here:

He ruined numerous people's lively hood. He publicly shamed people. He bribed national and international governing bodies. He shut down a federal investigation. He sued people who's only crime was telling the truth. He lied for over a decade. He cared not for anyone other than himself.

I'd say he still has a long, long, long way to go. A public apology to both LeMond and Betsy would be nice, but I aint holding my breath.

jr59
01-12-2015, 09:51 AM

He ruined numerous people's lively hood. He publicly shamed people. He bribed national and international governing bodies. He shut down a federal investigation. He sued people who's only crime was telling the truth. He lied for over a decade. He cared not for anyone other than himself.

I'd say he still has a long, long, long way to go. A public apology to both LeMond and Betsy would be nice, but I aint holding my breath.

Maybe I'm mistaken, but,nobody has said that all his past sins are forgiven. Nor has anyone suggested that with this act he should be. It's a very nice thing for him to do. That's all.

Or would it fit your idea better, that he told them that they could stay and then threw them out about 3am?

oldpotatoe
01-12-2015, 09:57 AM

Here we go. No love for the guy BUT

If I was offered a room at Lance's for this, I would say yes.

If he came by the shop, would I talk to him, yak about bikes/trek/bike stuff? yes.

FlashUNC
01-12-2015, 09:58 AM
So when do Besty and Frankie get to come stay at the mansion?

Snark aside, it is a nice gesture. Course, he had to let everyone know he was doing it too...

bart998
01-12-2015, 09:59 AM
People are complex, not two dimensional. Accept this at face value until shown otherwise... he has the space and they need a place to stay, it's a nice gesture. Just because he cheated in races doesn't mean everything about him is bad.

jmoore
01-12-2015, 09:59 AM
Regardless of his past, this is a nice gesture. I'm sure the racers he put up are not exactly flush with extra cash, so I'm sure they appreciate it.

As far as the PR angle goes, it's not like he put out a press release. He sent a tweet and it's been picked up by the media.

CunegoFan
01-12-2015, 10:08 AM
He shut down a federal investigation.

Lay off the crack pipe. No one shut down a federal investigation. That is the sort of Looney Tunes stuff you find over at Cyclingnews' forum. The Bonds and Clemens cases did a fine job of showing the feds the difficulty of prosecuting popular athletes for doping.

A public apology to...Betsy would be nice, but I aint holding my breath.

Armstrong tried but Betsy was too busy with her new career as a professional victim to accept an apology.

LA did some people in need a solid. Get over it.

FlashUNC
01-12-2015, 10:10 AM
Regardless of his past, this is a nice gesture. I'm sure the racers he put up are not exactly flush with extra cash, so I'm sure they appreciate it.

As far as the PR angle goes, it's not like he put out a press release. He sent a tweet and it's been picked up by the media.

My hunch would be, given his contacts in the Austin bike community, this might be the kind of thing he could have done from another avenue rather than Twitter. Which he's broadcasts in giant, neon lights to the whole world "Look at how good I'm being!" Only that other route wouldn't have had said noble gesture shouted to the wide world.

A completely cynical interpretation of a noble gesture? Sure. But Lance inspires nothing but cynicism.

FastforaSlowGuy
01-12-2015, 10:11 AM

^^ This. If you guys checked out Twitter, you would have seen identical messages getting sent out by a number of pro riders, sponsors and supporters (e.g., Tim Johnson/RedBull hosted a free dinner, organized via Twitter). In case you haven't been following the news the past few years, people now communicate on this new-fangled platform.

Jaq
01-12-2015, 10:39 AM
^^ This. If you guys checked out Twitter, you would have seen identical messages getting sent out by a number of pro riders, sponsors and supporters (e.g., Tim Johnson/RedBull hosted a free dinner, organized via Twitter). In case you haven't been following the news the past few years, people now communicate on this new-fangled platform.

Meh. I'll stick with having my messages tied to arrows and shot by archers stationed every hundred yards over hundreds of miles. Haven't quite worked out the over-ocean thing yet. Archers on jet-skis might work. But sea-monkeys on dolphins might be more cost effective.

pinoymamba
01-12-2015, 10:45 AM
what a great guy!

Elefantino
01-12-2015, 10:48 AM
Give him props for doing it on Twitter and not Facebook.

Chris
01-12-2015, 10:53 AM
Lay off the crack pipe. No one shut down a federal investigation. That is the sort of Looney Tunes stuff you find over at Cyclingnews' forum. The Bonds and Clemens cases did a fine job of showing the feds the difficulty of prosecuting popular athletes for doping.

Armstrong tried but Betsy was too busy with her new career as a professional victim to accept an apology.

I wondered when you would show up. Internet been down at the house?

paulh
01-12-2015, 10:59 AM

And don't forget: Lemond is an @#$hole!!!

professerr
01-12-2015, 11:35 AM

when you are a globally notorious celebrity and you tweet, it is PR.

A remorseless dude with a shrunken amygdala - this guy is nothing at all like his apologists who are obviously capable of empathy. Neither good nor bad, just how he is, and it does no one any good to further enable his sociopathic tendencies.

CunegoFan
01-12-2015, 11:53 AM

Sorry. I'll leave you with the crackpot theories of Armstrong shutting down federal investigations.

Oh, no. LA tweeted that for Mellow Johnny's will clean bikes and and ship them back from nats for $60. The price includes a coffee. There has to be a master plan to destroy cycling in there somewhere. Keep searching. I'm sure you'll find it.

malcolm
01-12-2015, 12:01 PM

A remorseless dude with a shrunken amygdala - this guy is nothing at all like his apologists who are obviously capable of empathy. Neither good nor bad, just how he is, and it does no one any good to further enable his sociopathic tendencies.

Interesting post. I think even sociopaths can do good/kinda things. Human beings are multi-faceted. None of us is as bad as our worst deed nor as good as our best. It's the rare person that's bad/mean all the time.

In this case however he made his bed and now has to lie in it. His prior behavior was consistently heinous and self serving that now even when he does something good/kind it's viewed with suspicion.

I feel little pity because he created this mess and the public reaction is in a way part of the penance. Lie enough and no one will believe you, be a dick long enough and everyone expects you to be a dick even when you are not.

I choose to view this as a guy doing a favor for others, if he gets a little good PR in the process lord knows he can use it.

Chris
01-12-2015, 12:14 PM
Interesting post. I think even sociopaths can do good/kinda things. Human beings are multi-faceted. None of us is as bad as our worst deed nor as good as our best. It's the rare person that's bad/mean all the time.

In this case however he made his bed and now has to lie in it. His prior behavior was consistently heinous and self serving that now even when he does something good/kind it's viewed with suspicion.

I feel little pity because he created this mess and the public reaction is in a way part of the penance. Lie enough and no one will believe you, be a dick long enough and everyone expects you to be a dick even when you are not.

I choose to view this as a guy doing a favor for others, if he gets a little good PR in the process lord knows he can use it.

I totally agree with you. I'm tired of hating the guy and am not putting any more energy toward it. The irony is that he would probably look on me as a sucker for having any empathy or softening my position toward him...

fuzzalow
01-12-2015, 12:21 PM
Sorry. I'll leave you with the crackpot theories of Armstrong shutting down federal investigations.

Oh, no. LA tweeted that for Mellow Johnny's will clean bikes and and ship them back from nats for $60. The price includes a coffee. There has to be a master plan to destroy cycling in there somewhere. Keep searching. I'm sure you'll find it.

Y'know, I almost admire you for your steadfast, unwavering and impermeable loyalty to that guy. With qualities like you've exhibited, that can stand you in great stead if you have the wisdom to use it and focus it in the right way...Um, well, on second thought never mind.

Comment about the innkeeper: sure, people can always change for the better. And there are some that are irreversibly wired to be predatory in their own way. For them no good deed goes unnoticed and nothing is done without a plan. We all know people like this in real life. They're not hard to figure out and those relationships are best entered into and conducted knowing that you will both use each. Otherwise all we need to know about them is to keep them at arms length away. Life is too good to waste time on jerks.

velomonkey
01-12-2015, 01:08 PM
Here we go. No love for the guy BUT

If I was offered a room at Lance's for this, I would say yes.

If he came by the shop, would I talk to him, yak about bikes/trek/bike stuff? yes.

Yea, so would I - means nothing. Merely saying, offering up your room for the night does't mend the mound of stinking pooh the guy produced. That. And that, alone, is my only point.

So feel free to "go" from here - but anywhere you go is on you.

01-12-2015, 01:26 PM
Everyone has made mistakes in life. Sometimes big ones. As best he's capable of, he's trying to apologize. Maybe it's not great, but he's doing something. We'd be a poorer world if we threw everyone who messed up in the dumpster.

BumbleBeeDave
01-12-2015, 05:05 PM

I guarantee you that if he had wanted to find some people who needed lodging WITHOUT tweeting it, he has more than enough connections in town that he could have done that. Then it could have been left to the lucky ones who got lodging to tweet THEIR thanks, and make it an honest bit of public kudo.

But if HE tweets it himself?

PR. Pure, steaming pile of self-promotional PR . . . and not one bit surprising.

BBD

djdj
01-12-2015, 05:54 PM
. . . proving that no good deed goes unpunished.

velomonkey
01-12-2015, 06:52 PM
As best he's capable of, he's trying to still promote himself.

Fixed it for you. Two people in the world: those that know Lance is only trying to serve Lance and those that will soon figure it out.

fuzzalow
01-12-2015, 07:09 PM
. . . proving that no good deed goes unannounced.

Fixed it for you. This was what I was going for in my post above but I screwed up the play on words. You have thoughtfully given me another chance.

Fixed it for you. Two people in the world: those that know Lance is only trying to serve Lance and those that will soon figure it out.

True dat. Hard wired to glom by any means necessary. From trailer park trash he came and to trailer park trash thence shall he be.

paulh
01-12-2015, 08:02 PM

But... ... but...but.... Lemond is a whiner!

downtube
01-12-2015, 08:16 PM
When I was young and use to road race motorcycles in the amateur ranks, we would often get invited to sleep over at a local racers home. It helped everyone save a few bucks. We would open our places to them when they came our way. It is a great way to spend some time with people into the thing you are into. I think Lance truly is a nice person and enjoys spending time with racers. After all that is were he spent most of his life. . Everyone has opinions about the past but that is just what it is.....the past. Let Lance Ride

professerr
01-12-2015, 08:40 PM
I think Lance truly is a nice person and enjoys spending time with racers. After all that is were he spent most of his life. . Everyone has opinions about the past but that is just what it is.....the past.

I'd want you on my jury, that's for sure. Or at least my parole board.

Dead Man
01-12-2015, 08:43 PM
Let Lance Ride

I can't believe this isn't already a thing...

LET LANCE RIDE

I'm gonna sell this like Livestrong bracelets

Hawker
01-12-2015, 09:22 PM
When I was young and use to road race motorcycles in the amateur ranks, we would often get invited to sleep over at a local racers home. It helped everyone save a few bucks. We would open our places to them when they came our way. It is a great way to spend some time with people into the thing you are into. I think Lance truly is a nice person and enjoys spending time with racers. After all that is were he spent most of his life. . Everyone has opinions about the past but that is just what it is.....the past. Let Lance Ride

Totally agree, let him ride.....but not race.

pbarry
01-12-2015, 09:56 PM
I guarantee you that if he had wanted to find some people who needed lodging WITHOUT tweeting it, he has more than enough connections in town that he could have done that. Then it could have been left to the lucky ones who got lodging to tweet THEIR thanks, and make it an honest bit of public kudo.

But if HE tweets it himself?

PR. Pure, steaming pile of self-promotional PR . . . and not one bit surprising.

BBD

Fixed it for you. This was what I was going for in my post above but I screwed up the play on words. You have thoughtfully given me another chance.

True dat. Hard wired to glom by any means necessary. From trailer park trash he came and to trailer park trash thence shall he be.

But... ... but...but.... Lemond is a whiner!

I'd want you on my jury, that's for sure. Or at least my parole board.

Great thread. Love more than these above. Ya'll made my day. The LA tweets are the kicker here. Does any celeb have a decent handler?? :hello:

Rebel_Biker
01-12-2015, 10:49 PM
Let lance race. Who cares. He will at least bring some excitement to triathlons. Is he a threat to win? I don't think he could win an ironman on drugs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Jgrooms
01-13-2015, 05:47 AM
Let lance race. Who cares. He will at least bring some excitement to triathlons. Is he a threat to win? I don't think he could win an ironman on drugs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

See any of his results as he prepped for it? He was on track to smoke them.

velomonkey
01-13-2015, 08:37 AM
See any of his results as he prepped his blood? He was on track to smoke them.

Fixed it for you.

Jgrooms
01-13-2015, 08:56 AM
Dope? Not the issue. Was he or wasn't he competitive? Most assuredly was much more than just competitive.

velomonkey
01-13-2015, 09:17 AM
Dope? Not the issue. Was he or wasn't he competitive? Most assuredly was much more than just competitive.

Yea, cause now we will never know who finished in 232nd place in Boston.

Jgrooms
01-13-2015, 09:36 AM
Yea, cause now we will never know who finished in 232nd place in Boston.

??? Not even sure your point.

But he was going to be in the hunt for WT.

http://www.runtri.com/2012/02/lance-armstrong-results-at-ironman-703.html?m=1

velomonkey
01-13-2015, 09:49 AM
??? Not even sure your point.

Humor. :banana: Sorry you didn't get it. (seriously, you want to spend your time talking about how great and competitive LA is, then be my guest).

Rebel_Biker
01-13-2015, 09:51 AM
See any of his results as he prepped for it? He was on track to smoke them.

I stand corrected. Would he win at Kona?

Either way, I think it would be good for Triathalons. Let him race with conditions. How about if he has to run the race with a pick line and a bag collecting the blood throughout the race for analysis. He cannot accept any prize money. Have it slide down to the lower finishers.

malcolm
01-13-2015, 10:24 AM

Wow; I think I may be offended. I lived in a trailer growing up. Never stopped to think that it would lead to being universally hated.

Jgrooms
01-13-2015, 10:28 AM
Humor. :banana: Sorry you didn't get it. (seriously, you want to spend your time talking about how great and competitive LA is, then be my guest).

One of the biggest disappointments of the revelations, was not being able to follow his pending decimation of pro tri world.

campy man
01-13-2015, 11:42 AM
Just because he cheated in races doesn't mean everything about him is bad.

Agree ... just because he cheated doesn't make him bad because a bunch of other riders were doing the same. I have problems with LA the person that went out of his way to ruin anybody that simply spoke the truth instead of promoting his lies.

velomonkey
01-13-2015, 11:49 AM
Agree ... just because he cheated doesn't make him bad because a bunch of other riders were doing the same. I have problems with LA the person that went out of his way to ruin anybody that simply spoke the truth instead of promoting his lies.

+1 - some mother Fers are always trying to ice skate uphill.

Jgrooms
01-13-2015, 12:01 PM
+1 - some mother Fers are always trying to ice skate uphill.

When they name the winners of the seven, you'll have your day. Until then LA is just a mean dick in a world of mean dicks.

fuzzalow
01-13-2015, 12:09 PM
Wow; I think I may be offended. I lived in a trailer growing up. Never stopped to think that it would lead to being universally hated.

Do not be offended. The wording was "trailer park trash" which was not aimed as disparagement towards trailer park persons unless they are also OK with the part about trash.

velomonkey
01-13-2015, 12:21 PM
When they name the winners of the seven, you'll have your day. Until then LA is just a mean dick in a world of mean dicks.

Oh, I already had my day and it has nothing to do with LA. As for LA, he's had his day and it's not really going the way he wants, but he's got you in his corner and with that he can do anything. He can fly. Go on, Lance, be a tiger.

Elefantino
01-13-2015, 12:26 PM
Is it just me or has this thread run its course?

:fight:

velomonkey
01-13-2015, 12:33 PM
The Lance Law states: As an online discussion of Armstrong grows longer, the probability of reminding other users:
A) Everyone Cheated
B) LeMond is a whimp
C) Betsy is the problem
D) Anyone who hates him needs a life and
E)Forgive and move on

said probability approaches 1.

malcolm
01-13-2015, 02:11 PM
Do not be offended. The wording was "trailer park trash" which was not aimed as disparagement towards trailer park persons unless they are also OK with the part about trash.

Thanks, I feel better already

William
01-13-2015, 02:25 PM
The LA Hotel is now closed and the gears on this thread were starting to get loose folks.

William