PDA

View Full Version : More Assos advice sought

makoti
01-10-2015, 07:27 PM
I got a chance to get into a shop with Assos jackets to try between a medium & a large. It's gonna be a large. The medium WOULD work, but my arms felt like they were clamped into the sleeves. They also had Rapha, so I tried their soft shell jacket. The difference was huge in feel. Assos was snug, smooth and felt like it was painted on. The Rapha buckled in the front & felt stiff in comparison.
So, now to decide which model. An older Airjack or a newer Habu or Bonko. Ignoring money for the moment, I wonder about riding temp range. I read reviews that all say "I can wear this or that down to x". I'm not worried too much about DOWN. I'm actually wondering about the upper range, because below 34F, I have a kickr. Just not going out in much less than that. I've done it. It's not as much fun as it looks on TV.
I ride now in a sleeveless base layer, either a L/S jersey or S/S with arm warmers, and a PI shell. Keeps the body comfortable from the high 30's to 50. Any higher, I start to toast. If that works, why get one of these? Fit & performance. I am very tired of looking over my shoulder to see what's coming & getting a nice view of the jacket flapping over it. And I'd like not to listen to it flap for two hours.
Any suggestions from owners? How cold AND how warm can you ride in which of these?

FlashUNC
01-10-2015, 08:00 PM
I've got an Airjack. I can wear it down to freezing, but I'm cooking if the thermometer approaches 50. For the high 40s to 50s I'm wearing a Tiburu with a vest.

Assos with their latest gen stuff had a bit more gear overlap in the middle of the low 40s, but the habu can be worn in a bit warmer temps, while the bonka can go a touch colder as I understand it.

I'd rather the Airjack from about freezing to 45-48 or so.

One other thing to consider. The Airjack pockets. 4 generous pockets with a zipper pocket. The newer jackets have, um, less good pockets. Two zippered pockets and one center open pocket? Makes no sense.

thwart
01-10-2015, 08:27 PM
The Airjack pockets. 4 generous pockets with a zipper pocket.
The best, hands down.

JasonF
01-10-2015, 08:32 PM
I'm sensitive to cold and have the newest Bonka...in freezing temps I have a Craft base layer, an old Descente thermal jersey and the Bonka. For many other riders that's way too much clothing but just right for me. I won't go out below 25 degrees. The Habu I purchased went right back since I couldn't figure out where in the lineup it would fit. Below 45 degrees and the Bonka comes out...in the 50's and a base layer with LS jersey is fine.

IMHO the upper range for the Bonka would probably be around 50-55 degrees (with a short sleeve shirt as base layer). The Habu could probably take you to 60 degrees...max.

Since you're concerned with upper ranges, I wonder if a nice Assos base layer (the early winter one?) along with a high-zoot LS wool jersey would fit the bill for you.

JasonF
01-10-2015, 08:33 PM
The Airjack pockets. 4 generous pockets with a zipper pocket. The newer jackets have, um, less good pockets. Two zippered pockets and one center open pocket? Makes no sense.

I wonder if Assos did a mid-season update to their pocket design. My Bonka has 3 very spacious open rear pockets along with 2 zippered rear pockets. I have no complaints there.

happycampyer
01-10-2015, 09:44 PM
For what you describe, the 851 airJack would be the best of the three imo. I find the bonKa to be slightly warmer than the airJack, which I don't think is what you're looking for. The great thing about the airJack, and what makes it and other Assos pieces superior to other clothing manufacturers' cool/cold winter garments, is its ability to be worn in a wide range of temps without resorting to multiple layers, and having an outer layer flapping away for much of the ride. This is due to the construction—windblocking, insulated material where you need it, and more breathable, insulating material elsewhere. I can wear the airJack from the low 30's to the mid 40's comfortably. The haBu is nowhere near as warm as the airJack, so you'd need to wear a roubaix-type jacket underneath to get the same effect. It's better in the 40º to 50º range.

One other thing to consider. The Airjack pockets. 4 generous pockets with a zipper pocket. The newer jackets have, um, less good pockets. Two zippered pockets and one center open pocket? Makes no sense.I agree that the pocket design on the airJack is possibly the best ever, and I've posted in the past that it mystifies me why Assos doesn't use it for all of their jackets.

To clarify, the bonKa always had three open pockets with two zippered pockets on the outside of the two open side pockets. Nice, but not as nice as the airJack, which it replaced. The first generation of the haBu only had a center open pocket, with two zippered pockets on the side, but the most recent version has pockets that are basically the same as on the bonKa. I've seen them in person, so they do exist, but I bet if one orders one it's a crap shoot which one you'll get until supplies of the older version are depleted.

Also, it's worth noting that the Assos outlet has the airJack in various colors for great prices (and even better when the run a 10% off special).

Grant McLean
01-10-2015, 10:09 PM
How cold AND how warm can you ride in which of these?

Both the Bonka and AirJack 851 are the same temp range (6).
They have different materials, and there are slight differences,
but in my experience the key temp range for both is the mid 30's
to about 40 degrees.

In general, the Assos zones are bang on for me.

Tiburu (clima range 4) 8 to 16'C (46-61'F)
Habu (clima range 5) 6 to 12' C (43-54' F)
Bonka (clima range 6) 0 to 8' C (32-46'F)
Fugu (clima range 7) below zero (32 and less F)

makoti
01-10-2015, 10:12 PM
Also, it's worth noting that the Assos outlet has the airJack in various colors for great prices (and even better when the run a 10% off special).

And if I wore ANY size other than a large, I'd be getting something. ;-) Every size, even TIG (?), except a large in anything. Oh well.

Grant McLean
01-10-2015, 10:14 PM
TIG (?)

TIG is one size up from XL, and is wider, not longer.

-g

SoCalSteve
01-10-2015, 11:06 PM
to about 40 degrees.

What is wrong with you people???

I don't ride when it gets below 61'. That's really cold!!!

FlashUNC
01-10-2015, 11:18 PM
to about 40 degrees.

My Airjack hasn't gotten much use here in the Bay. Now you've got me kicking around the idea of a Habu...

basilic
01-11-2015, 02:01 AM
Note that the Bonka comes in 2 widths: cento is narrower, mille wider

JasonF
01-11-2015, 06:36 AM
Note that the Bonka comes in 2 widths: cento is narrower, mille wider

That's right...I'm 5'7" 150lbs...relatively thin (but not super skinny)...

Anyway, I tried a medium Habu that was way too tight (could barely zip the thing) and was still too tight in the aero position. That went right back.

Bought a mille Bonka also in medium and it fits well: snug but roomy enough to fit a very thin base layer and LS jersey if needed under it.

Assos stresses that their clothes should feel uncomfortable in all but proper cycling positions and I find that to be the case.

makoti
01-11-2015, 07:46 AM
My Airjack hasn't gotten much use here in the Bay. Now you've got me kicking around the idea of a Habu...

Really? What size is your Airjack? ;-)

zap
01-11-2015, 08:15 AM
Keeps the body comfortable from the high 30's to 50.

I recently purchased a Bonka and agree with Grant (and Assos) with regards to temp range.

berserk87
01-11-2015, 09:43 AM
[/B]

What is wrong with you people???

I don't ride when it gets below 61'. That's really cold!!!

If I waited until it got that warm, I wouldn't be able to enjoy my favorite activity for about 6 months out of the year. So it's either adapt or hate life, up in here, yo.

I wish it were warmer here year-round, but it's not.

tv_vt
01-11-2015, 11:13 AM
TIG is one size up from XL, and is wider, not longer.

-g

Actually, it's 2 sizes up from the XL. The XLG is inbetween.

happycampyer
01-11-2015, 11:19 AM
to about 40 degrees.

Fugu (clima range 7) below zero (32 and less F)I find the "climaranges" to be pretty spot on for me as well, but even if they are not for everyone, it's pretty easy to adjust up or down with experience. For example, I know christian shifts up a range—if it's cold enough for me to wear a fuguJack, he's still wearing an airJack. Must be the Swedish blood.

I know that the bonKa was billed as the airJack's replacement, but before the bonKa was introduced, I always thought that there was a slight gap between the fugu and the airJack. For me, 32º and above was too warm for the fugu, but if the temps were around freezing and were going to stay in the low 30's, I would either have to wear a shell over the airJack or wear a different jacket. With some trial and error, I found that the Castelli Inferno was perfect in between the fugu and the airJack. Since the bonKa came out, it has filled that spot, and I find that I still get as much use out of my airJacks as the bonKa—for me at least, it didn't really replace the airJack in its entirety. For rides that end up in the low 40's by the end, I wouldn't want to wear the bonKa (too warm), but the airJack is perfect. Of course, y(aee)mmv.

lhuerta
01-11-2015, 11:22 AM
if you have questions about Assos sizing here is a must read post...pay specific attention to GrantM suggestions:
http://www.velocipedesalon.com/forum/f2/assos-experts-need-your-input-33567.html

makoti
01-11-2015, 02:51 PM
if you have questions about Assos sizing here is a must read post...pay specific attention to GrantM suggestions:
http://www.velocipedesalon.com/forum/f2/assos-experts-need-your-input-33567.html

It's down atm, but I also get a malicious website warning when I click that. I'll check it tomorrow, but after actually putting on a Bonka & Habu I'm pretty sure a large is for me.

FlashUNC
01-11-2015, 03:20 PM
Really? What size is your Airjack? ;-)

XL. But you'll pry it from my dead hands.