PDA

View Full Version : suspension seatposts?

Jay Torborg
03-19-2004, 02:58 PM
Has anyone tried a suspension seatpost to take the edge off on long rides?

My Concours, which is my travel bike with S&S couplings, is quite a bit harsher riding than my Ottrott ST. I can really start to feel it on a century or longer ride. I was thinking that a suspension seatpost, such as the USE carbon RX, might make the ride a bit more comfortable without adding too much weight.

Kevan
03-19-2004, 03:15 PM
before trying a pogo stick. I don't know how many RAAM'rs have tried this.

Course, I've never tried such a seatpost, so maybe I should just keep my big keyboard shut.

Ahneida Ride
03-19-2004, 03:20 PM
May I suggest a Brooks B67 ? The springs are mighty stiff
and only engage when really needed.

Jay Torborg
03-19-2004, 03:23 PM
I'm pretty happy with my Fizik Aliante and only arrived there after trying many other saddles. I am a little worried about the bouncy feeling from a suspension seatpost, although the USE RX allows for tuning so it might be possible to make the effect fairly subtle. That's why I'm hoping someone else has tried one of these.

Andreu
03-20-2004, 06:52 AM
My gut feeling is no don't go there with suspension seatposts. If you are uncomfortable after x miles its probably more to do with some other aspect like saddle or position..and anyway if I was that way inclined why not go the whole hog and buy a mountain bike with fat tyres and suspension fork etc.... But if you can afford to experiment it might be worth going for it. And anyway I haven't tried it so what would I know.
A

Michael Katz
03-20-2004, 07:09 AM
Is the problem the cumulative effect of low level road imperfections and vibration? If so, I would first look at wheels, tires and tire pressure which can have a tremendous impact on road comfort over distance. Then saddles. The basic problem with a suspension seatpost is that your seat height and leg extension change as it works. If you dampen it down to eliminate the constant bobbing, then you probably won't get any relief from the constant small stuff and vibration. Basic positioning and fit also play a major role in long distance comfort but I assume your bike has been fitted for you.

Jay Torborg
03-20-2004, 09:27 AM
Here's a bit more information that might help. I've got two Serottas, an Ottrott ST and a Concours, that have the same geometry. I've tried to set them up as identically as possible. Both are fitted with a Fizik Aliante saddle. I was using Campy Eurus wheels on the Ottrott, now using SpeedDreams. I'm using Topolinos on the Concours, which are supposed to be very comfortable.

On both bikes, I've used an assortment of tires - usually Vredestein tricomps or Continental GP3000s. I generally inflate to 115-120lbs and assume I lose a bit when I remove the inflator. I weigh a bit over 190 so this seemed like a good compromised between comfort and reducing pinch flats.

I find the Ottrott very comfortable for long rides (100-200 miles), but on the Concours I start to get uncomfortable in the saddle as I approach the 100 mile point.

I'm not looking for a cushy ride - but I'm planning to do some extended supported tours this year (3-5 days at 100+ mi/day) on the Concours and want to avoid saddle sores. Thanks for your help.

Bruce K
03-20-2004, 09:39 AM
Jay;

I will try to give you my take on your situation as we are in similar situations.

I have an Ottrott ST and a Concours. They are set up with identical equipment and geometry with the following exceptions:

Ottrott:
USE Alien carbon post
HED Alps wheels

Concours:
Serotta carbon post
Ksyrium (older) wheels

Both bike have Michelin Pro Race tires which I run at 120#.

I have ridden centuries on both bikes with no problems. The Ottrott is a little more forgiving.

I use a Selle Itlaia SLR Trans Am (now Gel Flow) saddle on both.

I find that my arms and shoulders are a little more fatigued after the long ride on the Concours so I am a big believer in the ST rear.

Are you currently using a carbon post on your Concours? That might help dampen things without going for a suspension post which I suspect would "rob" some power if you realyy got cranking in the saddle.

I would look at riding position and possibly even how relaxed your shoulders, arms, and grip are as the ride progresses.

BTW I am 5'-8" and ride at about 203-205#

I'm not sure if any of this info helps, but it may be good for comparison.

BK

sharky
03-21-2004, 07:04 AM
I have a rockshox suspension road post on my Rivendell Atlantis that I have been using happily for over a year now. I use this bike for commuting and really haven't taken it for any rides longer than 40 miles, so I'm not sure how my knees would react on long rides. The seatpost is most comfortable and I will only replace it with another, especially over the rough commute that I have. Beware of the change in seat height, don't raise it too high to compensate for the sag or you might run into knee problems, also set the tension high to start with to keep the movement up and down to a minimum. Also have one on my hard tail mtb bike for the last 4 yrs, love it. This is a great way to smooth out rough roads.

Ozz
03-21-2004, 08:23 AM
You might try some wider tires (25mm+)....

Kevin
03-21-2004, 08:35 AM
Jay,

I have my Ottrott St with a Aliante saddle and the Topolinos. The ride is incredible. Have you tried moving your Topolinos from the Concours to the Ottrott?

Kevin

Elefantino
03-21-2004, 09:57 AM
Because of various back woes, I used a RockShox road seatpost for two years on a Trek 5200 and it was fine. Took the jar out of the über-stiff frame. At the time, I was riding a Selle Royal Shark gel seat.

Junked the 5200 for an Atlanta, bought a USE Alien carbon post and it was fine. I noticed no perceptible difference over long miles. At the time, I was riding a Flite.

I now have a CSi with a Thomson elite post, and a De Bernardi SLX with a Dura Ace post, and they are fine. I am riding Avocet 02 Air 40 saddles on both.

Moral: Depends on the bike, the saddle, the fit.

Mike

93legendti
03-21-2004, 03:43 PM
This year I reduced my tire pressure from 120-125 on my Contis to 95psi. Huge difference!!

J.M. White
03-21-2004, 08:33 PM
Have you tried lowering your tire pressure to 100-110 psi? I, too, run on Conti 3000s and have noticed the ride to be far more forgiving with lower psi's on the sorry Louisiana roads I travel. BTW, at least a few (L. Zinn, for one) believe that lowering the psi will actually reduce rolling resistance. Give it a try on your next 40-miler and report back.

M_A_Martin
03-21-2004, 08:46 PM
I ride Campy Ti seat posts in both my aluminum EV2 and my CSi. My tires are 20s and 23s. It takes the edge off the EV2 and Michigan roads (hmmm, I detect a pattern). The CSi rides like butter, so I don't know if it has anything to do with the post or not.

If you ride in a crowd, and track down the people with a ti seat post you can actually see the posts flexing under the bigger riders and I haven't seen as many broken ti seat posts (0) as I have carbon (3) (numbers are not considering seat post brand...I dunno what the broken ones were other than carbon).

Just another thought for you.

93legendti
03-21-2004, 10:33 PM
MA where are you in Michigan? I ride with 2 guys who both have Serottas and Bianchis

Ginger
03-22-2004, 08:37 AM
I was going to ask you the same thing!

I live in Ferndale, belong to the Flying Rhinos up in Clarkston (I have the tat and everything...just joking), and I ride all over SE Michigan.

Where abouts do you ride?

Will you be wandering over to Continental in April to visit with Ben when he shows up?

93legendti
03-22-2004, 05:19 PM
I ride w/ the Wolverines. I live in West Bloomfield. Jeff is always bugging me to ride w/ the Rhinos, but I can bike from my house to ride with the Wolverines so...

I was at Kinetics last February when Ben was there he signed my Legend. The guy I bought my HC Cross from was also there and Ben signed that too. Continental isn't my favorite store...too far away...

Jay Torborg
03-22-2004, 05:32 PM
Thanks for all the various suggestions and comments. I went for a 70 mile ride on the Concours yesterday after an 85 mile ride on the Ottrott on Saturday and realized that the Concours doesn't really feel that much harsher. Most of my riding on the Concours before this was out-of-state century rides early this season. I think my posterior was just not in as good shape as I thought.

Next week, I'm leaving for a five day 500 mile training camp with the Concours. I'll reserve judgement on whether I have to change the post and/or saddle until after that trip.