PDA

View Full Version : Anyone tried Speedplay Syzr yet?

mecse
01-10-2015, 12:06 PM
So, the other week I noticed that a company over in the UK (I can PM a link…) was selling speedplay's long anticipated syzr pedals.

I figure this means that, maybe, someone on the forum has bought them. So: What's it like? How does the float feel, etc.

ahumblecycler
01-10-2015, 12:10 PM
I am very interested in hearing feedback on these pedals :hello:

sand fungus
01-11-2015, 06:14 PM
I have been itching to try these to replace the frogs on my commuter bike but the price I found on line is pretty steep...

Anyone know when they will be available in the US?

charliedid
01-11-2015, 06:52 PM
I'm under the impression they have not even been released yet...

mecse
01-11-2015, 08:54 PM
I'm under the impression they have not even been released yet...

I agree: but it looks like several european resellers (which Google picks up on) are already placing purchase links / items on their website, so it's possibly available there?

I wondered if someone had ordered, received, etc. No biggie.

allezdude
01-12-2015, 05:38 AM
Iride has them for 200 pounds-yikes that's a lot of coin. I was hoping to,try them but not so sure now.

charliedid
01-12-2015, 06:55 PM
I agree: but it looks like several european resellers (which Google picks up on) are already placing purchase links / items on their website, so it's possibly available there?

I wondered if someone had ordered, received, etc. No biggie.

I can find out tomorrow, I don't know for sure. I think I would have heard about the release happening.

I wonder if you go through check out if it says it's a pre-order?

And, still nothing on Speedplay website.

mecse
01-12-2015, 08:17 PM
I can find out tomorrow, I don't know for sure. I think I would have heard about the release happening.

I wonder if you go through check out if it says it's a pre-order?

And, still nothing on Speedplay website.

I haven't tried! I'd be interested to try them, since I love the feel of Zero's on my feet and would love something similar and walkable. Maybe I should try the Frog's but hey, these look more interesting.

mecse
04-04-2015, 08:31 AM
So, it looks like they finally decided to launch the syzr pedal

Like anyone, I immediately decided to go read the service manual … and seem a little surprised by some things.

Maintaining the pedals seems a chore:

SYZR Pedals require the SYZR Cleat and Pedal engagement edges to be lubricated routinely with
Speedplay SP-LUBE (p/n 13800) or other dry-type (PTFE) lubricant, preferably every one or two rides.

along with instructions to clean everything. I suspect that less maintenance will be 'fine' but that seems like a hell of a chore.

Pedal maintenance is as per all their others:

Speedplay recommends that the SYZR
Pedal bearings be greased with a grease gun at least every 2000 miles or every three months. Grease
bearings more frequently if used in unusually wet or dusty conditions.

So that's not unexpected (and, frankly, totally OK given it's what I do for Zero's) . The cleat maintenance seems a pain in the butt, compared to every other cleat out there which has 0 maintenance?

makoti
04-04-2015, 03:00 PM
The cleat maintenance seems a pain in the butt, compared to every other cleat out there which has 0 maintenance?

How does this differ from what they suggest for any other cleat they sell? My x1's have the same suggestions, I believe.

Saint Vitus
04-04-2015, 03:26 PM
Yep, Speedplay recommends routine lubrication for all their cleats (and pedals). YMMV, I havent lubed my X/1s in a while and both sets engage and spin fine.

mecse
04-04-2015, 03:36 PM
How does this differ from what they suggest for any other cleat they sell? My x1's have the same suggestions, I believe.

Oh, you're right, the Zero's have the same and … I don't do that! Ha!

I was more so comparing to other mtb pedals which do not have those kind of instructions.

oldpotatoe
04-05-2015, 07:28 AM
Yep, Speedplay recommends routine lubrication for all their cleats (and pedals). YMMV, I havent lubed my X/1s in a while and both sets engage and spin fine.

I spray them occasionally with Pledge..

shovelhd
04-05-2015, 07:47 AM
If they spin freely then the hearings are dry and need lube.

fjaws
04-07-2015, 06:57 PM
So, the other week I noticed that a company over in the UK (I can PM a link…) was selling speedplay's long anticipated syzr pedals.

Available in the U.S. now as well.

eddief
04-07-2015, 07:27 PM
so I can better understand how those cleats work. Lotta bolts and screws in that cleat.