PDA

View Full Version : Budget but not cheap clothes

Cicli
01-10-2015, 11:06 AM
With the kids wanting to eat and the wife wanting to live in a house I am not really ever going to be an Assos or Rapha customer so...........
Anyone have any experience with Aerotech or any of the other online clothing suppliers? I am looking for some decent bibs to replace my Pactimos. I am happy with what I have but after a few years they are on the decline.
So, what say the less fashion conscious cyclists. Anyone try these? Looks like I can good some good bibs for around the 100 dollar mark.

Thoughts or sugestions?

dsimon
01-10-2015, 11:12 AM
DeMarchi bibs are awesome and use the cytech pad. and usually can get them cheap off of amazon and if you like assos have you tried the assosfactory outlet I picked up a pair of bibs for 125.

AngryScientist
01-10-2015, 11:21 AM
i can personally wear almost any bib shorts for rides under 50 miles or so.

the $100 dollar mark is super easy with ANY internet shopping prowess to get very nice bib shorts. aside from the few rapha and assos pairs i own, i never pay more than 100 for a pair of bibs.

the brands that i think are excellent, and can be had on sales and through careful shopping easily well under your budget:

-santini
-craft
-gore
-hincapie

rwsaunders
01-10-2015, 11:24 AM
Aero Tech folks are awesome to deal with and the majority of their clothing is made in Pittsburgh. Call their shop and ask for Jordan and he'll be able to steer you in the right direction. They have a great selection of women's kit as well and my wife loves their city line of clothes.

http://www.aerotechdesigns.com/info.html

paredown
01-10-2015, 11:36 AM
I bought some fairly light Castelli bib knickers on Chainlove--these have some version of the red Kiss pad. I have been pleasantly surprised at the comfort for the price (~$40 if memory serves). I have a pair of Campagnolo ones that I like a lot less that were probably well over $120... Chainlove seems to get quite a lot of Castelli clears.

I have also pretty much worn out a pair of the 2nd tier Assos Series--I don't think these are made anymore, but they were great value for a light summer bib. I paid under $50 and wish I could find more.

Davist
01-10-2015, 11:50 AM
I share your situation.

I have bought quite a bit of Castelli bibs and knickers in the $50-$80 level and like them, primarily from Competitive Cyclist. I splurged and got the higher level version at $100 (free ride or something, wanted to try out the chamois) and they are MARGINALLY better but..

I've also been happy with the couple Pactimo things I have, they go on super sale once in a while.

I also have a lot of Pearl Izumi tops, I think their thermal jerseys are good. I like Belweather and DeMarchi for regular jerseys.

Sources like Competitive Cyclist and Sierra Trading Post are where I seem to get most of my riding clothes. Pactimo, like Rapha is consumer direct though. Sign up for the email deals and be patient.

ahumblecycler
01-10-2015, 12:13 PM
I love LG Equipe bib shorts at last year's pricing. I recently stocked up on close-out pricing at $85/each.

I accidentally purchased a Large (black with iron/dark grey logos), and if that size fits you, PM me and you can have it for $85 shipped.

I am a big fan of Bellwether jerseys. You can typically find them between $30 and $40 for last year's color ... I love being 1 year behind in the world of style ;)

professerr
01-10-2015, 12:21 PM
I'll put in another good word for Castelli's, specifically the ones with the cheaper KISS pad. I like the ones with the simple panel structure -- the Castelli's I've purchased that had lots of seams were not done right and bunched and chafed. I really dislike the thick pads in Assos and Rapha shorts -- I have several and rarely use them. I also like the Specialized SL line of shorts, and the Pro line can be had on sale for $125 a couple times a year. The pad is medium thin but dense.

ceolwulf
01-10-2015, 12:23 PM
Chainlove is the key to this operation. At least that's how I do it.

Also you can find nice vintage team jerseys on eBay for not a lot.

verticaldoug
01-10-2015, 12:26 PM
I think assos just last longer if you take care of it. So even though it is more upfront, it may be cheaper in the long run.

If you can score stuff on assosfactoryoutlet , it is the way to go.

dekindy
01-10-2015, 12:42 PM
Get on Voler's mailing list and get an initial discount. Several years in a row I got the annual team kit, jersey/bibshort, for $100 shipped but had to review the website frequently to get what I wanted at the lowest price. Last couple of years have not been my color but I really don't need anything. Lots of other discounts but you have to be vigilant.

drsmile
01-10-2015, 01:10 PM
You should be able to get your Pactimos bibs for around $100... The only thing you can't get around that price is good full length cold weather thermal bibs.

tjk23
01-10-2015, 01:26 PM
Another one to look at that no one has mentioned is Sportful. I really like the bibs, and I've had Hincapie, Castelli, and Gore.

Wesley37
01-10-2015, 01:26 PM
Chainlove is the key to this operation

Plus patience.

thunderworks
01-10-2015, 02:34 PM
I've used Giordana Silverline bibs and shorts for years. Really excellent stuff. I can find them on eBay, with patience, for $70 to $90.

jmoore
01-10-2015, 02:38 PM
Torm wool blend jerseys

LG lycra summer jerseys and bibs

Louis
01-10-2015, 02:41 PM
I've been very happy with Pearl Izumi.

LJohnny
01-10-2015, 02:42 PM
as others have mentioned, de Marchi is good, PI upper tier is a very good product and usually found on sale. (Texas Cyclo, Sierra Trading, and Performance, specifically for PI stuff).
Chainlove is great for Hincapie, Castelli and some de Marchi stuff.

Alan
01-10-2015, 02:56 PM
I really like their high end shorts. They use very high quality chamois and I really like them. Highly recommend them. The shorts I like are below.

http://www.aerotechdesigns.com/mens-elite-bike-shorts.html

Alan

pdmtong
01-10-2015, 03:33 PM
As mentioned, internet sale (rei, competitive cyclist) and clearance sites (chainlove, sierra trading post, rei-outlet.com) are your friend.

I would not skimp on the bibs. Period. You can get PI as low as $80, around $100 I like mavic or capo.

Jerseys - used off the forum or clearance. $25 and up.

Base layer/socks - closeouts.

jacket - clearance sites

It was mentioned the better stuff lasts longer. Could be true. My rapha classic have maybe 400 days on them. pad still great and no pill, fade, stretch.

I'd rather have a few great pieces got on sale than a bunch of mid-tier. The fabrics and fit are better. But if you need to buy now and can't take the time to wait for a deal., start cruising those sites.

jghall
01-10-2015, 10:19 PM
As others have mentioned, if you hunt and are patient enough, you'll find good deals. Over the past few months I've purchased several pairs from Competitive at 50-60% off.

Lots of good brands - Sportful's, Giordana, Craft, Castelli, etc. Actually been pretty impressed with Danny Shane too.

Performance bibs are very nice too, at around $70.

abalone
01-10-2015, 11:51 PM
I've used Giordana Silverline bibs and shorts for years. Really excellent stuff. I can find them on eBay, with patience, for $70 to $90.

I also like the Giordana shorts. The padding is high quality and the price is pretty decent. Gitabike is the distributor and they used to have year end clearance sales for the merchandise the bikes shops didn't want, but I'm not sure if they still do sales to the gen public now that they are bigtime.

RFC
01-11-2015, 09:26 AM
As a matter of principal, I refuse to buy fashion brand name cycling clothes. Check out Performance and particularly the sales. I have two pairs of Performance bibs (can't remember the model) that fit very well and have proven to be more durable than any of the many other bibs or shorts that I've used.

Fatty
01-11-2015, 09:47 AM
I found one of there jerseys at a thrift store in mint shape in my size for like a dollar. I liked it enough to buy two more from there web store.
I like the fact that they are solid colors.
Never tried the bibs or shorts but probably will eventually.

kramnnim
01-11-2015, 09:55 AM
Aerotech used to sell stuff on eBay starting at 1 cent. Got a couple shorts for ~$5 and they weren't worth more. lol.

I'm fine with the Pearl Izumi "Select" shorts for 6+ hour rides, they retail for...$40? Have gotten them for $15. Really liked the Castelli Nero shorts that I could get from eBay for ~$30, but I haven't seen them for a couple years. Red KISS pad. Now the ones I have are threadbare and almost transparent, so I can't wear them in public... :(

wpod
01-11-2015, 11:09 AM
Really like my DeMarchi Pro bibs. Great fit, really comfortable and so far super durable. Purchased deeply discounted from Competitive Cyclists.

HenryA
01-11-2015, 05:46 PM
Boure stuff is really nice and very durable.

stev0
01-11-2015, 09:24 PM
big fan of DHB, Wiggle's house brand. mostly clean or understated designs, really comfy, and outstanding value for money.

russd32
01-11-2015, 10:27 PM
After wasting money on several cheap kits that either weren't comfortable or didn't last, I agree with the advice to watch chainlove, comp cyclist, and other online spots for sales. I'm a fan of Castelli and also have a fair amount of PI that I've been happy with.

russd32
01-11-2015, 10:28 PM
big fan of DHB, Wiggle's house brand. mostly clean or understated designs, really comfy, and outstanding value for money.

I've wondered about that stuff. They have a thermal long sleeve jersey that looked really nice, and honestly the $35 price tag scared me off because I assumed it was junk. Thanks for the info

aramis
01-11-2015, 11:07 PM
Am I the only one that really can't tell any difference between any of my bibs? The hardest part I have with buying kits is getting jerseys that fit. I only like the super race fit stuff and it always seems its about twice as expensive as the looser cut stuff.

That said just keep an eye on competetive cyclist, they have sales constantly on de marchi, castelli, lg etc..

CMiller
01-16-2015, 05:50 PM
Check a few local shops. The one I worked at before had a clearance section, but also a box in the basement of out-of-season/style clothes. If they have one they are willing to bring upstairs then you can get great stuff veerrry cheap, and all new.