PDA

View Full Version : On topic: one of those great ride experiences

flydhest
03-31-2006, 02:33 PM
It's spring in DC. The city's best season. I had a super fantabulous time riding on the Mall, looking at the Cherry Blossoms. For those in the area, get thee to the Cherry Blossoms. It might be my pent up yearning for spring clouding my judgement, but this year seems to be one of the best in my recent memory. All the trees seemed well timed with each other, with just a few exceptions. The weeping cherries went first, of course, and there are some on the SW tip of Haine's Point that are lagging a bit, prolly the cool breeze of the water.

TT, your favorite spot on the Tidal Basin was killer.

DO NOT drive there, though. Drivers were clueless and causing accidents--I saw three (!) at lunch. I actually saw someone trying to take a picture while driving. ***? The ones who weren't clueless were pissed off 'cause it was so freakin' crowded.

Those who live out of town, give thought to either visiting this weekend if possible, or plan ahead for next year. Park at my house and bike in. Heck, if you're coming next year, let me know and stay at my house.

20 miles at lunch, about 2 hours (shhhhhh) of pure joy.

Too Tall
03-31-2006, 03:01 PM
Dewds and Dewdettes - 4pm today 3/31 B there or Bsquare. I'll be roaming around checking the scene. You can't miss me. HA HA find me and I'll buy pizza and beer...hard to miss.

The "fav" spot Fly mentions is just opposite the polo field and trees are facing due south...thus they have the heaviest growth.

It only gets better for the next few days. Once we have some weather MAGIC.....cherry blossom snow storm :cool:

catulle
03-31-2006, 03:08 PM
This A/C is very cold, right now I'm jumping in my Giordanas and hasta la vista baby. :banana:

davids
03-31-2006, 03:12 PM
...But still a great ride:

I met up with the "weekday" group for the first time since last fall. 24 fun miles - sometimes fast, sometimes just cruising - catching up and remembering how to ride in a group. It was a beautiful, sunny spring morning. Life is good!

Skrawny
03-31-2006, 03:20 PM
I wish I knew you guys when I lived there ('94-97), but -alas- I was a runner then. I remember spring on the towpath, however.... ahhhhhhh
-s

Spectrum Bob
03-31-2006, 03:23 PM
We have plans to be there at sunrise tomorrow morning and have a breakfast picnic under the trees!
I will say for an added bonus I cut out of work a little early for a quick ride yesterday and in my neighborhood there are several streets that are lined with cherry trees. I am not sure if they are the exact same specie as down town but they are incredible to ride through. They are large enough that they completely canopy the road so it is like riding through a tunnel of pink blossoms.

BumbleBeeDave
03-31-2006, 04:10 PM
. . . but I did get out last night on my mtb with the light. It was not a georgeous spring day riding experience, but with temp about 60 it was just so nice to be outside riding without freezing my you-know-what off! :p

BBD

MartyE
03-31-2006, 04:42 PM
Cherry Blossoms are one of the things I miss most from the
DC area. 16 years in Falls Church, 5 of them spent working across 11th from
the Old Post Office.

marty

flydhest
03-31-2006, 05:09 PM
Marty, not to rub it in, but I really think this year is a great showing.

I work at 20th and C. Our cafeteria has a view of the Mall, including being able to see a bunch of the blossoms.

William
03-31-2006, 05:19 PM
Beautiful day for a ride up here. Not a lot blooming yet but dang it was nice. Did see some Daffodils and crocus (sp?). :banana:

William

NicaDog
03-31-2006, 06:43 PM
When we lived in DC, we used to go down and take a walk around the basin for my wife's birthday. A great celebration that we miss this time of year. It so wonderful when it begins to snow blossoms.

Fly - you work right near my favorite monument/statue - the Einstein Statue.

Enjoy the Spring!

Frankwurst
03-31-2006, 07:06 PM
I still have snow in my yard. The wife said this morning the robins are back and singing and I replied "sure they are they don't ride a bike" but the first signs of spring are here and I'm fat which means the last signs of winter are here too. :beer:

Too Tall
03-31-2006, 08:13 PM
NicaDawg - Fly, myself and Manet were at the Einstein statue last weekend :) Contemplating the known universe...if you look very closely you'll see an idddybiddy Ottrott ;)

flydhest
04-02-2006, 07:50 PM
Did a redux yesterday with the Doctor. She in I got in some good miles and then wended our way through the traffic taking in the sights of the blossoms. Buonissimo! Then a quick jaunt to Murky Coffee for a macchiato and life was good.

NicaDog, yep, about a block and a half away. Somewhere in the old threads there's a photo from a group ride (prolly from Smiley's house) with a bunch of us around Albert.

Too Tall
04-03-2006, 07:18 AM
If ZNFNDL gets my camera back today I'll snap some pics our house and street. Our neighborhood is one of several in the DC area lined with cherry trees...it is quite a sight. Queen and I like to sit on the porch with Beau at our feet reading the paper trying to look casual :rolleyes: As if. The brief but spectacular scene is something we look for every yr.

sailorboy
04-03-2006, 07:45 AM
This is how we roll for the cherry blossoms in Japan: Combine the blooms with a festival honoring the local penis god... I love this place.

Spectrum Bob
04-03-2006, 08:14 AM
Saturday morning at sunrise Luna, Big (my 8 year old – TT I could use some help with a forum name for Leah) and I had a breakfast picnic and watched the sun come up behind the Jefferson Memorial – an incredible morning. Sunrise is good – it beats most of the crowds and you can find a parking space.
I have to go past TT house on my way in and out of the park –TT I love your street this time of year!

Too Tall
04-03-2006, 09:22 AM
Shamash (my first pick...it's the "leader" candle in a menorah)
Yussela (cute and implies the obvious)
Bubbke
Meshugas (maybe she'll like it?)