PDA

View Full Version : Campy rear cage compatability?

paredown
01-07-2015, 09:20 AM
Still on the hunt for a cheap medium cage 10 spd rear, and I started to scheme about buying a cheapo (maybe Xenon) rear and swapping rear cages. I have a couple of ~2004 era Centaurs that I would like to use.

Brantford rightly points out that the Chorus/Record 10 spd rears are a separate animal from the cheaper models. The Campy spares catalog for 2009 and 2010 also list the Veloce and Centaur cage plates as separate part numbers, although the pulleys, pulley bolts and pivot pins are identical. (I think the difference may be steel vs alu but I am not sure.)

I can find no information on parts for the Xenon--but they are cheap if the cage would fit...

Lewis Moon
01-07-2015, 09:38 AM
Still on the hunt for a cheap medium cage 10 spd rear, and I started to scheme about buying a cheapo (maybe Xenon) rear and swapping rear cages. I have a couple of ~2004 era Centaurs that I would like to use.

Brantford rightly points out that the Chorus/Record 10 spd rears are a separate animal from the cheaper models. The Campy spares catalog for 2009 and 2010 also list the Veloce and Centaur cage plates as separate part numbers, although the pulleys, pulley bolts and pivot pins are identical. (I think the difference may be steel vs alu but I am not sure.)

I can find no information on parts for the Xenon--but they are cheap if the cage would fit...

I'm looking for a mid cage too (sorry for the comp) would love to know the answer to this too. I have a very nice 10 Chorus that I'd like to fit a mid cage to....either that or buy a Veloce cheap.

Ralph
01-07-2015, 10:04 AM
Look at late 9 speed Centaur Medium cage RD. Pretty nice looking. Their pulleys say C9 C10. I know....I've got one, and have only used it briefly on 10 speed. Shifts same as my Chorus mid 2000's med cage. The 9 speed takes the RE 600 pulleys for C9 and C10. The 2005 aluminum Chorus (carbon plate) med cage takes the Re 700 pulleys. (earlier 8 speed uses RE 500), and the Carbon cage 10 speed Record takes something different altogether. There are plenty of 10 speed med cage RD out there. Check E Bay, Ribble, etc.

Ralph
01-07-2015, 10:21 AM
http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-track-bike/derailleurs-rear-campagnolo-veloce-silver-10-speed-rear-derailleur/campgrrr619

Pretty nice RD. Comes Med or short. $73 price good. Comes silver or black. Then sell your short cags. Or buy my very low mileage late 9 speed speed silver Centaur med cage RD for about $85. It has no scratches or marks of any kind.

jtakeda
01-07-2015, 10:28 AM
I might have two campy centaur century gray mid cage rear ders.

If that's the case I'll sell one (need one as a back up for my poprad).

I'll look when I get home.

oldpotatoe
01-07-2015, 10:37 AM
Look at late 9 speed Centaur Medium cage RD. Pretty nice looking. Their pulleys say C9 C10. I know....I've got one, and have only used it briefly on 10 speed. Shifts same as my Chorus mid 2000's med cage. The 9 speed takes the RE 600 pulleys for C9 and C10. The 2005 aluminum Chorus (carbon plate) med cage takes the Re 700 pulleys. (earlier 8 speed uses RE 500), and the Carbon cage 10 speed Record takes something different altogether. There are plenty of 10 speed med cage RD out there. Check E Bay, Ribble, etc.

Carbon cage uses the same pulleys, marked 9s-10s but the plates are different. Use the ones unmarked, same as 9s pulley plates, not the ones marked '10s'. As far as cage intercompatibility, only the ones attached with ti bolts have a smaller ID, the rest 'should' work.

thirdgenbird
01-07-2015, 10:55 AM

Record/chorus cages bolt on
Veloce/centaur* cages use a c-clip

These are not interchangeable.

* some years of centaur actually bolt on. These derailleurs also have the window in the nuckle and seem identical to all alloy chorus derailleurs. I can't recall the exact years.

oliver1850
01-07-2015, 12:59 PM
I tried to swap the bolt-on Chorus/Centaur cages but was unable to because of a difference in diameters, as I recall.

I have swapped a long Veloce cage onto a Centaur. I think I have a new Xenon here, could try to swap it onto a Centaur if needed.

Don't forget to look for Racing/Race/Comp/Champ triples. The cage on the Racing at least is about 2 mm longer than the mid cages.

I could probably part with something mid cage. It will probably be marked 9 speed but with the 9/10 pulleys I don't think there's any difference at all.

The windowed Centaur RDs are from circa 2005. I have two of them that are Century Grey. Need to dig in the boxes and see if I can find a grey one that's not windowed.

thirdgenbird
01-07-2015, 01:29 PM
The windowed centaur derailleurs should have a bolt on cage similar to record/chorus. I am pretty sure the cage part number for silver matches chorus but I could be wrong. I thought the differnce was the finish on the back side of the cage. The non window ones are completely different. These swap with veloce it appears.

oliver1850
01-07-2015, 01:37 PM
The 2004/5/6 (Century years), also 2007/8 Centaur and Chorus use the same mounting bolt, but the cages have different part numbers. I believe the mounting stud/body bore diameters are different and the cages won't interchange.

paredown
01-07-2015, 02:39 PM
* some years of centaur actually bolt on. These derailleurs also have the window in the nuckle and seem identical to all alloy chorus derailleurs. I can't recall the exact years.

I have at least one of each Centaurs--I never knew what years they were from, since the non-windowed one came to me in a box of random parts...

I think I may have an similar generation Veloce, so I think I will dig them out and have a closer look.

I'm kicking myself because a seller on eBay had some replacement medium cage sets only--and I did not buy one because I got distracted...

thirdgenbird
01-07-2015, 06:07 PM
The 2004/5/6 (Century years), also 2007/8 Centaur and Chorus use the same mounting bolt, but the cages have different part numbers. I believe the mounting stud/body bore diameters are different and the cages won't interchange.

Very interesting. I nearly tried that swap once. Good to know it won't work.

I have at least one of each Centaurs--I never knew what years they were from, since the non-windowed one came to me in a box of random parts...

I think I may have an similar generation Veloce, so I think I will dig them out and have a closer look.

I've got a non window centaur and veloce from the same era. They are very similar. The back side of the veloce isn't finished as nicely and it is noticeably heavy but they are otherwise very similar.

My only complaint about the non windowed centaur and veloce is the cheap barrel adjuster that corrodes and breaks easily. I've got a record one on my centaur. Classes it right up. I wouldn't mind doing the same to the veloce if I could find another.