PDA

View Full Version : Not really OT - Things to do in Austin, TX?

Bruce K
01-07-2015, 04:44 AM
A buddy of mine is headed to Austin for work and CX Nationals and is looking for things to do

So far:
Thursday night:
Amy D. Foundation fundraiser at Bicycle Sport Shop

BBQ at Salt Lick, County Line, or .....?

Music/bar hop on 6th(?)

There used to be a really good Tex-Mex joint on Congress out past the "bat bridge" but I don't know if it's still there. It was near a huge boot store.

Are the bats still there?

Suggestions welcome for Saturday day and Friday and Saturday nights

BK

weisan
01-07-2015, 06:47 AM
Bruce pal, I live in a cave and they don't let me out very often so I would defer to Texbike 's earlier posts and I am sure he's right on the money because...he's TEXbike

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=86095

CDollarsign
01-07-2015, 06:54 AM
There is way too much stuff to do in ATX. I would suggest passing on the Salt Lick and heading to Lockhart TX and trying to fit in as many places as you can (Blacks, Smitty's, Kruez, ect.).

sjbraun
01-07-2015, 07:16 AM
The Salt is an Austin icon, but that doesn't means its good.
Line up (early) for Franklins BBQ. Torchy's for tacos, food trucks on Congress, oh and Hopdaddy's for burgers.

Whatever you think about LA, Mellow Johnny's is a pretty cool shop.

A tour of the Texas state capitol is more interesting than you might think.

abalone
01-07-2015, 07:39 AM
Salt Lick BBQ is way outside of Austin. Forget about it. You don't have time to drive out to the middle of nowhere and be able t cram more fun Austin-y things to do in one night. Just have a bite at their little to-go restaurant in the airport and save some time.

Franklin's BBQ is good, but very expensive. And the wait is too long. Like up to over 2+ hours on a weekend. Out-of-Townes don't know this. And no reservations. Forget about it. There is no time to do fun stuff if you are waiting in line all day.

County Line. Good BBQ. Decent prices. About a 15-20 min drive from downtown and there isn't much of a wait. If you have a car, go here. If not, pick some other BBQ place downtown. Any place downtown is good.

Bike shops.
Mellow Jonnys - this place is for Armstrong lovers. Don't like him, don't go there. You're not missing out on anything. If you are in town and just wanna check out what they have, just be up front and tell them you aren't going to buy anything so they don't bug you.

Bicycle Sport Shop - biggest bike shop in town. Biggest doesn't mean best. It's like any other Gigantic Trekalized bike shop in any city. Who cares? You get enough bike shops in your own town. You'll live if you don't get to see another bike shop somewhere else. But your a bike nerd, so go there and get ready for 3 different sales people to follow you around the store asking if you need help.

Other bike shops worth mentioning.
Austin Tricyclist - for tri-geeks, this place is actually kinda neat, and the people are friendly enough.
Nelo's - nice old Brazilian pro mechanic with high end bikes, but 20min from downtown. This should be your 1st shop for pro-level bike overhaul
Austin Bikes - cool shop, but I think they moved. Haven't seen their new shop yet.

texbike
01-07-2015, 08:16 AM
A buddy of mine is headed to Austin for work and CX Nationals and is looking for things to do

So far:
Thursday night:
Amy D. Foundation fundraiser at Bicycle Sport Shop

BBQ at Salt Lick, County Line, or .....?

Music/bar hop on 6th(?)

There used to be a really good Tex-Mex joint on Congress out past the "bat bridge" but I don't know if it's still there. It was near a huge boot store.

Are the bats still there?

Suggestions welcome for Saturday day and Friday and Saturday nights

BK

The Tex-Mex place is still there. It's called Guerro's. I wouldn't call it the best by any means, but it's definitely decent. It's in a fun area if nothing else. Essentially across the street is a great music venue called the Continental Club. Not sure who's playing this weekend, but if it's any of the regulars, it would be fun.

Lot's of good info already provided, but for BBQ, I would suggest Green Mesquite. It's WAY more than adequate and a very short bike ride from where the CX course will be this weekend (and close to Bicycle Sport Shop). Outside of the usual suspects, I would have your buddy add these spots to his list: Ginny's Little Longhorn, The Broken Spoke, Continental Club, Rainey Street, Texas Chili Parlor, and Juan in a Million.

The bats have left for the winter and rumor has it that they're now in Playa del Carmen sipping Coronas on the beach..

CX Nats should be great! The weather forecast looks perfect for it (cold and rainy!!!).

Texbike

Seramount
01-07-2015, 09:03 AM
personally, I'd avoid 6th Street like the plague...unless your idea of fun is watching college kids puke on their shoes after too many Jagermeister shots.

as far as BBQ, this is obviously highly subjective, but Salt Lick and County Line are pretty pedestrian imo. sorta the Spec and Trek of the genre. you can do better...never been to Franklin's because there's no way it's good enough to waste half a day waiting to get served.

as already suggested, go old-school and head to Lockhart (Smitty's and Black's). when you enter Smitty's, you're IN the kitchen...however, Lockhart is 40 miles each way from AUS if that's a deal-breaker.

go to Mt Bonnell for a scenic view of the city. if you have access to a bike, do some hill repeats there.

if you want upscale mexican, try Fonda San Miguel...if you want hole-in-the-wall, El Caribe' (I'd go on Tu/Th/Sat to avoid the bitchy little waitress tho).

bike shops...? Nelo's is ok, but it's out in surburbia and there's really not a ton of inventory there. have been to MJ's once, meh...it's downtown and their coffee bar is fair if that helps.

there's a bazillion good food trucks around, you won't starve.

the forecast for this weekend is looking nasty...cold and wet, doing stuff outside could be a challenge.

eddief
01-07-2015, 09:32 AM
when I stopped in a couple of summers ago, I found it charming to walk around near the U and notice lovelies in shorts, crop tops, and cowboy boots. We don't have that here.

texbike
01-07-2015, 09:50 AM
the forecast for this weekend is looking nasty...cold and wet, doing stuff outside could be a challenge.

Perfect for CX. Beer, bells, and bikes baby!!!

Texbike

earlfoss
01-07-2015, 10:05 AM
Go and see Dale Watson play at Ginny's Little Longhorn Saloon. He puts on a really, really good show and Ginny's is where he's in his element.

rockdude
01-07-2015, 10:16 AM
Don't forget to take ride and the lance Armstrong bikeway.

jmoore
01-07-2015, 10:29 AM
Def drive to Lockhart and go to Smitty's

Bruce K
01-07-2015, 10:42 AM
Thanks Gang

Keep the ideas coming - I will pass them along

BK

abalone
01-07-2015, 11:55 AM
Go to Cavender's Boot City. Get your authentic cowboy hat as a souvenir to show your friends. Get this out of the way early.

Go to 6th street one night when you are there. Contrary to the naysayers, it is Austin's most popular downtown night scene. It's a mini Boubon St. so get get your guy or girl for the night if that is your thing. It's not that difficult.

Go to the Town Lake Hike and Bike Trail. Take a half hr walk. It's really pretty.

Go to Congress and South Congress. Walk around. It's boring.

Go to Barton Creek Mall. Why? The weather is going to suck, and all the good stuff is outdoors. Stay warm my friend.

Seramount
01-07-2015, 12:47 PM
Perfect for CX. Beer, bells, and bikes baby!!!

Texbike

dude, pretty sure you know that I'm way too much of a prissy, delicate flower for CX...

malcolm
01-07-2015, 06:01 PM
Check and see if the saxon pub has johnny nicholas and hell bent playing if so go see them. Cindy Cashdollar plays lap steel and dobro maybe the best there is if you like that sort of thing.

Louis
01-07-2015, 06:17 PM
when I stopped in a couple of summers ago, I found it charming to walk around near the U and notice lovelies in shorts, crop tops, and cowboy boots. We don't have that here.

Coming from Berkeley, I would think it's like visiting a foreign country.

And the big hair. (don't know if they still do that in TX - it's been a while since I've been down there)

pmac
01-07-2015, 07:05 PM

It's Austin, not Dallas. The Drag near the UT campus isn't all that different. Better food, maybe, if you know where to go. Check out the East Side King food trailers.

stronzo
01-07-2015, 08:40 PM
Best in-town BBQ that doesn't involve a 3 hour wait (hi, Franklin's!) is Micklethwait's or La Barbecue. Whoever recommended Juan in a Million...no. If you're going for cheap Tex-Mex, I'd recommend Joe's Bakery, Veracruz, Tamale House, or La Mexicana (open 24/7!). For more upscale, whoever said Fonda San Miguel, a thousand times YES. Also, for a pleasant adult beverage on a cold night, the bar at the Driskill is hard to beat.

For social nationals-related events, you might check out:

http://theradavist.com/2015/01/2015-cyclocross-nationals-event-party-flier-dump/

These are all just my humble opinion. There's a thousand and one things to do in Austin on any given day, and it's hard to whittle it down to a digestible list. If anyone needs any specific tips or advice, feel free to ask.

brando
01-07-2015, 08:51 PM
See "For the Love of Mud" premiere on Friday night. They added a 2nd show, last I heard.

http://texasbikeracing.com/love-mud/

sworcester
01-08-2015, 11:48 AM
Try Jack Allens for awesome farm to table fair.
Moonshines downtown is pretty good.

abalone
01-08-2015, 02:42 PM
Don't forget to check out Chipotle when you are in Austin too and get your burrito fix. You will be in and out in about a half hr and save a ton of time for doing a bunch of other cold-weather fun stuff in town, like going to the mall because its too cold to go outside. Hopefully, you are at a nice hotel with a bar and a big lounge area. The weather will be conducive just for having a couple beers down at the bar and then head upstairs to take a nap.

joosttx
01-08-2015, 02:57 PM
I hear the Chain Drive on East Ave is a really cool dive bar. Never been there, though.

abalone
01-08-2015, 03:01 PM
I hear the Chain Drive on East Ave is a really cool dive bar. Never been there, though.

It's a gay/lesbian bar correct?

joosttx
01-08-2015, 03:02 PM
It's a gay/lesbian bar correct?

correct, and its cool and gritty.

Seramount
01-08-2015, 03:15 PM
Don't forget to check out Chipotle when you are in Austin too and get your burrito fix.

yeah, 'cause nothing says local eatery like an international fast-food chain with 1600 locations...

abalone
01-08-2015, 03:23 PM
yeah, 'cause nothing says local eatery like an international fast-food chain with 1600 locations...

Chipotle is kinda like an Austin original... sortof. Why wait forever for food when you can get something good in a half hour or less? Then, you go do your Austin stuff.

What's so different about Austin than anyplace else? It's not the food, its the music and nightlife. But some people are too stuck up to go down to 6th street and look at all the beautiful people, of which none will be out this weekend because of the winter weather blast coming down.

So, the best place to go is Starbucks and or the bar at the hotel, and then just lounge. If you have to go out, the mall is heated.

Seramount
01-08-2015, 03:36 PM
But some people are too stuck up to go down to 6th street and look at all the beautiful people, of which none will be out this weekend because of the winter weather blast coming down.

by 'beautiful' people, you mean college co-eds who wear skimpy clothing, right...?

stronzo
01-08-2015, 03:46 PM
Chipotle is kinda like an Austin original... sortof. Why wait forever for food when you can get something good in a half hour or less? Then, you go do your Austin stuff.

What's so different about Austin than anyplace else? It's not the food, its the music and nightlife. But some people are too stuck up to go down to 6th street and look at all the beautiful people, of which none will be out this weekend because of the winter weather blast coming down.

So, the best place to go is Starbucks and or the bar at the hotel, and then just lounge. If you have to go out, the mall is heated.

by 'beautiful' people, you mean college co-eds who wear skimpy clothing, right...?

I'm reminded of a certain quotation about beauty...But seriously. It's not stuck up to not want to deal with the circus that is 6th Street. There are a couple of bars down there I actually enjoy, but it's usually just not worth it, especially on the weekend.

Also, Austin has some pretty amazing food and plenty of heated buildings that are not malls. You might check out a movie at any of the Alamo Drafthouse locations if the weather is particularly crappy.

texbike
01-08-2015, 06:01 PM
Go to Mall.

Don't forget to check out Chipotle when you are in Austin too and get your burrito fix.

Chipotle is kinda like an Austin original... sortof.

So, the best place to go is Starbucks....If you have to go out, the mall is heated.

What??? I thought you were from Austin. Now I'm thinking you must actually live on the North side of Houston.... The list above is what you want to see and do when you visit The Woodlands! :rolleyes:

Oh, and Chipotle is an Austin original??? Not even close. Perhaps you're thinking of Freebirds? There are a ton of good burritos to be had around town without stepping into an international chain. Same goes for the coffee (not that there's anything wrong with that).

Texbike

weisan
01-08-2015, 08:29 PM
I would visit Costco in Austin.

Store #1
4301 West William Cannon Drive, S Austin, TX
(512) 382-3011

Store #2
10401 Research Boulevard, Austin, TX
(512) 634-2253

Store #3
4601 183A, Cedar Park, TX
(512) 690-9059

That's where I go the only time I leave my cave...

Bruce K
01-08-2015, 09:13 PM
Thanks guys.

He's there with the "highlights" from your suggestions.

Tonight is Bicycle Sport Shop for the Amy D. Foundation fundraiser.

After that he plans to try suggestions for dinner/entertainment tomorrow night and Saturday - leaving Sunday after the elite races.

Appreciate the input.

BK

abalone
01-08-2015, 10:09 PM

I'm not saying to go to 6th St for oogling hot college girls. For one thing, college is not in session, so there won't be that many college girls downtown, and secondly 6th St. is for everybody. If I was recommending a friend to find a place to look at girl's, I'd tell him to go to a gentlemen's club. 6th St is an Austin icon. IT really doesn't matter anyway, the weather is cold and that effectively keeps all Austinites at home anyway, so 6th is going to be Hardly busy at all.

This reminds me of the time I went to New Orleans with some friends for a race ages ago. A couple of us really wanted to go to Boubon St., but we had a dud of a host who ranted all day long about how Bourbon St was all a bunch of drunks and the old Bourbon St was no more. He railed on it so much that our group took his suggestions to go to all of these stupid no-name hole in the wall places. It's like we went all that way and didn't get to see Bourbon St! Morale of the story. Don't be that guy.

bagochips3
01-08-2015, 11:17 PM
I visited Austin for a week a while back. It's a really great town.

Franklin's really is that good. If you pre-order a month in advance and get it to go and are willing to buy their minimum (5 lbs?), then you can skip the line. It's the way to go if you have enough people and can plan ahead. I didn't get a chance to try Micklethwait's, but will next trip. La Barbecue is awesome as is John Mueller Meat Co. Those two are close to Franklin's quality without the ridiculous wait. La Barbeque offered free beer on weekends to make the line there more bearable. I'd skip Salt Lick. Not that it's horrible, but the other places mentioned are a couple of orders of magnitude better.

We went to Barley Swine for dinner one night. Fine dining in shorts and a t shirt! It's a fixed menu; we really liked it. It's probably a good idea to get reservations there.

Turkey Creek is a nice easy hike in town. Near-ish to Mt Bonell so if you are doing that, you can kill both birds with one stone. McKinney Falls is pretty cool even though the falls themselves are somewhat disappointing.

Bats were flying when we were there. I'd check it out if it works into your schedule. It was really dark by the time they set out. Best position seems to be on the bridge about 1/3 of the way from the shore opposite the capitol (if that makes sense).

I liked Rainey street. I didn't hang out on 6th too much, just checked out the Driskill, which was cool.

Zilker park is supposed to be nice, but there was some big music festival going on the following weekend and much of it was closed off while they set up for it. The botanical garden was nice.

All in all a great town, but plan for bad traffic when going from place to place. Especially on 35.

kgreene10
01-09-2015, 05:57 AM

About a third of Berkeley lives here in Austin now, me included. And in some notable ways, Berkeley isn't so Berkeley anymore. Of course, Austin isn't as Austin as it used to be, but I personally think the recent explosion in development has had a huge positive effect.

01-09-2015, 11:37 AM

Sorry, Ab, but the first Chipotle was in Denver.

Starbucks? I moved from Seattle just to get away from a Stbx on every corner. I think you're showing your stripes.

01-09-2015, 11:46 AM
Hey guys, it's supposed to be cold as hell. Austin goes indoors when it's cold. If you try Zilker Park, it's beautiful but you'll be the only one there. That's about like a pilgrimage to visit all of Lance's homes in Austin (there has to be a tour bus doing it).

This is a time to race cross in the cold or watch cold cross racing in the cold. Austin doesn't do cold well. I'm glad Austin got the cross nats (I used to live in Austin and love the town) but that doesn't make it much of a favored tourist spot for anything else when a Norther is blowing through. I'd ride a bike for all it's worth while you're down there because the riding is fantastic and you're there for nuts riding bikes in frozen mud anyway.

texbike
01-09-2015, 11:59 AM
Hey guys, it's supposed to be cold as hell. Austin goes indoors when it's cold. If you try Zilker Park, it's beautiful but you'll be the only one there. That's about like a pilgrimage to visit all of Lance's homes in Austin (there has to be a tour bus doing it).

This is a time to race cross in the cold or watch cold cross racing in the cold. Austin doesn't do cold well. I'm glad Austin got the cross nats (I used to live in Austin and love the town) but that doesn't make it much of a favored tourist spot for anything else when a Norther is blowing through. I'd ride a bike for all it's worth while you're down there because the riding is fantastic and you're there for nuts riding bikes in frozen mud anyway.

Mr. 11.4 is right. Austin and cold weather aren't a good combination.

However, this is a dream come true for those of us here that don't have the chance to experience significant CX events in their proper environs with the requisite mud, cold, and wet. I'm excited to go drink beer, cheer on the racers, and freeze my ass off. Good times.... ;)

Texbike

abalone
01-09-2015, 12:11 PM
Sorry, Ab, but the first Chipotle was in Denver.

Starbucks? I moved from Seattle just to get away from a Stbx on every corner. I think you're showing your stripes.

I'm from Cali, lived in Austin for a couple years, but was glad to get the hell outta dodge (like they say in TX) and get back to Cali. People in Texas like to think that their city is the best city in the world. Austin especially. I admit that Austin is pretty, but it's not the bed of roses that people make it out to be. Austin is good for like a 3 day weekend to visit a friend or relative, but it's not somewhere that you go for a vacation.

Austin gets all weird about not going to big box stores. I'm like, who cares. If you give an Austinite a cup of Starbuck's they will complain about how its no good, but tell them that same cup of coffee came from some local startup made with freshly ground beans made by a barrista with a beard who also sews clothes, and suddenly that cup of coffee is the best coffee they've had in their entire lives.

For food, there is a great Ruth's Chris steakhouse downtown. If that place is too chain-sy for you, I can recommend the Vince Young steakhouse. Its local. For the cyclists, Vince Young was a star football player. The steaks at this place are out of this world! Don't eat BBQ when it's cold. You get a bunch of gritty meat stuck between your teeth, and then you go to Town lake or the cyclocross race, and take some pictures. Smile! You look like a caveman! Or cavewoman!

texbike
01-09-2015, 12:30 PM
I'm from Cali, lived in Austin for a couple years, but was glad to get the hell outta dodge (like they say in TX) and get back to Cali.

Ahhh. OK. That explains it.

Yeah, Austin isn't perfect and truth be told, I'd prefer to be on the Central Coast of California, in Marin, or even Humboldt. However, Austin is a pretty chill spot with a solid economy and a lot going for it. Apparently it's good enough to attract the 66K new people that moved here in 2014.

Texbike

malcolm
01-09-2015, 12:37 PM
I'm from Cali, lived in Austin for a couple years, but was glad to get the hell outta dodge (like they say in TX) and get back to Cali. People in Texas like to think that their city is the best city in the world. Austin especially. I admit that Austin is pretty, but it's not the bed of roses that people make it out to be. Austin is good for like a 3 day weekend to visit a friend or relative, but it's not somewhere that you go for a vacation.

Austin gets all weird about not going to big box stores. I'm like, who cares. If you give an Austinite a cup of Starbuck's they will complain about how its no good, but tell them that same cup of coffee came from some local startup made with freshly ground beans made by a barrista with a beard who also sews clothes, and suddenly that cup of coffee is the best coffee they've had in their entire lives.

For food, there is a great Ruth's Chris steakhouse downtown. If that place is too chain-sy for you, I can recommend the Vince Young steakhouse. Its local. For the cyclists, Vince Young was a star football player. The steaks at this place are out of this world! Don't eat BBQ when it's cold. You get a bunch of gritty meat stuck between your teeth, and then you go to Town lake or the cyclocross race, and take some pictures. Smile! You look like a caveman! Or cavewoman!

Let me ask do you really think this doesn't apply to a million places in cali.??
Heck, cali. invented that behavior.

abalone
01-09-2015, 12:45 PM
Let me ask do you really think this doesn't apply to a million places in cali.??
Heck, cali. invented that behavior.

Cali folks are more prone to saying that they prefer to live in Southern Cal or Northern Cal. Whereas in Austin, they say that they are the best place in the World. Yes, as in the entire Earth. They even have that saying about how Austin is the live music Capitol of the World. Ummm, no. No Austin. It's live music, but alot of cities have places that does musicians that perform live.

jmoore
01-09-2015, 12:55 PM
Def get a drink at the Driskill bar.

stronzo
01-09-2015, 12:55 PM
Cali folks are more prone to saying that they prefer to live in Southern Cal or Northern Cal. Whereas in Austin, they say that they are the best place in the World. Yes, as in the entire Earth. They even have that saying about how Austin is the live music Capitol of the World. Ummm, no. No Austin. It's live music, but alot of cities have places that does musicians that perform live.

Can we please just get back to talking about all the great things about Austin that make it the best place in the World? :rolleyes:

malcolm
01-09-2015, 01:02 PM

I'll give you native Texans seem to think that Texas is it's own country. The Austin music scene is special because it has it's own almost genre, now if it's music that doesn't move you well it's a different story. There are a handful of cities in the US that have stand out music scenes and Austin is one. As a disclaimer I've not lived in Texas in 30 years and never in Austin.

To me California and Californians have the most overblown sense of themselves of any group of people I've ever stereotyped and I love many places in Cali..

tiretrax
01-09-2015, 01:17 PM
Bruce,
I moved back to Texas because i missed BBQ and TexMex (and my family). I recommend that your friends have BBQ each day - La BBQ, Terry Blacks, Green Mesquite, etc. Only order meat a la carte - 1/2 lb of rib and a 1/4 of brisket cut from the lean end with bark on it. No sides - except a jalepeno and pickles.

There are too many good, local Tex Mex joints to name. I'd go for breakfast tacos every day (even at Taco Cabana near Zilker Park).

I think there's an event at MJ's tonight (it may have been last night). There might be an event each night - I read their invitation long ago but knew I was stuck in Dallas this weekend. It's worth a trip to the store. It's a nice looking store. There may be a DPF benefit, although that may have occured in December.

I hope he/she/they have a great time.

weisan
01-09-2015, 01:43 PM
Ladies and gentlemen, we are gonna take a commercial break while the Calis and Austis duke it out in the backstage...

My buddy Jeff and I dropped in on Wednesday to catch a glimpse of the men's 30-44 age group non-championship race. Please pardon the crappy videos made out of my phone...

one of the tight corners where we expect to see riders jammed up
http://vimeo.com/116357312

Beginning of the second lap, first guy through (643) ended up winning the race:
http://vimeo.com/116357311

1 117.59 Mark Flis Salt Lake City, UT 41:41 282287 643 Squadra Flying Tigers
2nd Place 2 120.70 Stefan Rothe Austin, TX 41:59 205741 718 ELBOWZ Racing
3rd Place 3 123.81 Paul Bonds Whitt, TX 42:33 4177 616 Oklahoma City Velo Club
4 126.92 Jason Siegle Solvang, CA 42:38 193522 723 SDG Bellwether pb Krema Peanut Butter
5 130.03 Christopher McGovern Nevada City, CA 42:41 23487 694 CalNorte VC Switchbacks
6 133.14 Scott Henry Austin, TX 42:45 254 661 Team Cycle Progression
7 136.25 Aaron Elwell Topeka, KS 42:50 115327 641 Twin Six
8 139.36 Jason Walker Wenatchee, WA 42:52 201369 743 Chronos Racing p/b Easton Cycling
9 142.47 Charles Simacek Minneapolis, MN 42:52 230406 724 All-City X Fulton Racing
10 145.58 Jason Hartman Centennial, CO 43:08 363574 660 Groove Subaru Excel Sports

pmac
01-09-2015, 01:56 PM
My buddy Jeff and I dropped in on Wednesday to catch a glimpse of the men's 30-44 age group non-championship race. Please pardon the crappy videos made out of my phone...

Where do you park down there? I'd ride my bike but I guess I'm one of these stereotypcial Austin people who don't go out in the cold, and I'd freeze standing around in biking clothing. Really like to see some racing though.

texbike
01-09-2015, 02:02 PM
Where do you park down there? I'd ride my bike but I guess I'm one of these stereotypcial Austin people who don't go out in the cold, and I'd freeze standing around in biking clothing. Really like to see some racing though.

We're parking at the MOPAC Bridge and riding over. They have a bike valet service set up.

Texbike

weisan
01-09-2015, 02:06 PM
mac pal, we worked close by so we rode our bikes from the office to the race course. I think that might be your best bet but you brought up a good point, you will be frozen stiff in your cycling clothes. There will be sufficient parking available in and around Zilker within walking distance but you can expect a crowd. We saw free valet bike parking booth at the location so it's possible to leave your bike under someone's care and walk around on foot.

One thing I know for sure is the weather this weekend will keep BOTH Californians and Austinites at home....wimps. :banana:

tiretrax
01-09-2015, 04:58 PM
Thanks for posting the video. The corner in the first one looks like a carousel.

Ladies and gentlemen, we are gonna take a commercial break while the Calis and Austis duke it out in the backstage...

one of the tight corners where we expect to see riders jammed up
http://vimeo.com/116357312

Beginning of the second lap, first guy through (643) ended up winning the race:
http://vimeo.com/116357311

1 117.59 Mark Flis Salt Lake City, UT 41:41 282287 643 Squadra Flying Tigers
2nd Place 2 120.70 Stefan Rothe Austin, TX 41:59 205741 718 ELBOWZ Racing
3rd Place 3 123.81 Paul Bonds Whitt, TX 42:33 4177 616 Oklahoma City Velo Club
4 126.92 Jason Siegle Solvang, CA 42:38 193522 723 SDG Bellwether pb Krema Peanut Butter
5 130.03 Christopher McGovern Nevada City, CA 42:41 23487 694 CalNorte VC Switchbacks
6 133.14 Scott Henry Austin, TX 42:45 254 661 Team Cycle Progression
7 136.25 Aaron Elwell Topeka, KS 42:50 115327 641 Twin Six
8 139.36 Jason Walker Wenatchee, WA 42:52 201369 743 Chronos Racing p/b Easton Cycling
9 142.47 Charles Simacek Minneapolis, MN 42:52 230406 724 All-City X Fulton Racing
10 145.58 Jason Hartman Centennial, CO 43:08 363574 660 Groove Subaru Excel Sports

weisan
01-13-2015, 07:44 PM
Went by the race course again on Monday during lunch time and caught a bit of the junior 15-16 race, here's a low-quality home-made video....apologize ahead of time for the jerky-iness - first time trying out the helmet mount.

http://vimeo.com/116643083

weisan
01-13-2015, 07:48 PM
Results Men Junior 15-16
Place Points Name City, State Time USAC # Bib Team
1st Place 1 106.18 Scott Funston Black Diamond, WA 31:00 270185 425 Rad Racing NW
2nd Place 2 110.03 Evan Clouse Park City, UT 31:29 323978 414 Canyon Bicycles - Shimano
3rd Place 3 113.88 Denzel Stephenson Broomfield, CO 31:35 331144 472 Boulder Junior Cycling
4 117.73 Andrew Schmidt Lake Geneva, WI 31:58 303828 459 Hincapie Development team
Team 1st Place 5 121.58 Calder Wood Anacortes 32:21 391836 481 Rad Racing NW
6 125.43 Kevin Goguen Hopedale, MA 32:44 290750 484 RACE CF
Team 1st Place 7 129.28 Layton Meyers Maple Valley, WA 32:52 414457 451 Rad Racing NW
Team 1st Place 8 133.13 Benjamin King Anacortes, WA 33:22 284055 440 Rad Racing NW
9 136.98 Cassidy Bailey Lyons, CO 33:28 289005 405 Boulder Cycle Sport Devo/BJC
10 140.83 Caleb Swartz Madison, WI 34:06 286165 473 KS Energy Services / MOSH / Team Wisconsin