PDA

View Full Version : 2015 Campy question

Jellybird3
01-05-2015, 09:52 PM
Hi all:

Forgive me for my naivete but I'm upgrading from a 2011 Athena 11s UT group to the new 2015 Record UT group and am wondering if it's necessary to swap out the older outboard cups with the new ones. If I can, I'd like to use the cups that are already on there and save myself from having to take it to a shop or buy another tool that I'll rarely use.

Would anyone happen to know if I'm ok with leaving the older cups on there with the new group?

Big thanks in advance.

AngryScientist
01-05-2015, 09:53 PM
they'll work, UT cups are UT cups.

thirdgenbird
01-05-2015, 09:54 PM
It appears that nothing changed with the UT standard. You should be good to go.

drsmile
01-05-2015, 10:03 PM
The only difference is for Super Record cups, which are missing the inside seals. This doesn't make them incompatible, just more prone to water leaking into the bearings.

You can convert some of the older Super Record cups by adding seals from other non-SR cups, but the newer versions have been machined to not hold the seals so well.

Jellybird3
01-05-2015, 11:56 PM
Perfect. Thanks everyone.

oldpotatoe
01-06-2015, 06:18 AM
Hi all:

Forgive me for my naivete but I'm upgrading from a 2011 Athena 11s UT group to the new 2015 Record UT group and am wondering if it's necessary to swap out the older outboard cups with the new ones. If I can, I'd like to use the cups that are already on there and save myself from having to take it to a shop or buy another tool that I'll rarely use.

Would anyone happen to know if I'm ok with leaving the older cups on there with the new group?

Big thanks in advance.

UT cups haven't changed. The 'best' are the greenish ones, tightest tolerances. Stay away from SR, less seals. Use lotsa grease...and the wavy washer, and the clip..

Jellybird3
01-06-2015, 08:48 AM
UT cups haven't changed. The 'best' are the greenish ones, tightest tolerances. Stay away from SR, less seals. Use lotsa grease...and the wavy washer, and the clip..

I thought and was hoping you'd chime in here. Thanks, OP.