PDA

View Full Version : 28 hole 29er wheels for a big guy?

d_douglas
01-05-2015, 12:44 PM
I am wondering what people think of building a set of 29er wheels with 28holes for a 200lber.

I ride XC and some technical stuff, so while I know how to ride, I will still bash my wheels around and I weigh, ummmmm, more than I should.

I am asking because I have seen several sets of Bontrager RaceLight 26er wheels at great prices locally. Assuming these have DT240 hubs, I was thinking of rebuilding them on some solid, wide alloy rims, like Pacenti or DTSwiss and some nice, solid spokes.

Can well-built 28hole wheels take my punishment?

If not, I just resume my hunt for Hope or DT350 32hole wheelsets, which I am confident can take a beating.

oldpotatoe
01-05-2015, 01:50 PM
I am wondering what people think of building a set of 29er wheels with 28holes for a 200lber.

I ride XC and some technical stuff, so while I know how to ride, I will still bash my wheels around and I weigh, ummmmm, more than I should.

I am asking because I have seen several sets of Bontrager RaceLight 26er wheels at great prices locally. Assuming these have DT240 hubs, I was thinking of rebuilding them on some solid, wide alloy rims, like Pacenti or DTSwiss and some nice, solid spokes.

Can well-built 28hole wheels take my punishment?

If not, I just resume my hunt for Hope or DT350 32hole wheelsets, which I am confident can take a beating.

Considering how big a MTB tire is, it does provide a certain amount of protection for rim bashing BUT, no such thing as a free lunch, beefy enough rim, 14/15 or perhaps DT Alpine spokes, built well, I think you would be OK.

echelon_john
01-05-2015, 02:39 PM
I'm...larger...than the OP and have had GREAT luck with Flow EX rims, 32/32. I think you'd be fine with something like those or the Arch EX in 28/28.

Might need to touch them up, but assuming it's single track, no hucking, and 2.25-2.4 tires at low pressure, you should be good.

pinkshogun
01-05-2015, 02:59 PM
i bought an older 29'er (2002 Gary Fisher Mt Tam) with 24 hole wheels. i trued them when i first got it then used a it a few times as intended and it held up my 155 pound body well

d_douglas
01-05-2015, 04:10 PM
Well, that helps - two pro-wheelbuilders confirming that this is possible to do this!

Thanks guys...

echelon_john
01-05-2015, 04:15 PM
I'm just a part-timer. Old P is the Pro!

Well, that helps - two pro-wheelbuilders confirming that this is possible to do this!

Thanks guys...

berserk87
01-05-2015, 04:35 PM
I am just under a deuce myself. My most recent set of MTB wheels are 36 spoke-ers, with Chris King hubs laced to Sun Ringle Big Mammoth downhill rims. Even with this, I managed to put a hop in the back rim.

I am a wheel-wrecker, so I may be the wrong guy for advice on this topic, but being in the same weight range, I would recommend something more stout. If you are planning on heavy trail use, I would recommend even more so.

Wheel durability depends somewhat on your riding style. Some larger guys are more gentle on their wheels than I am.

d_douglas
01-05-2015, 04:54 PM
Yes, true. My current set is 36holes. They will *never* break.

I need a second set and am just considering my options...

oldpotatoe
01-06-2015, 06:30 AM
I'm just a part-timer. Old P is the Pro!

balderdash...

ofcounsel
01-06-2015, 09:14 AM
I'm 240+, and have been running Easton wheels for a couple of years now. Not custom builds, but only 24 spokes. After about 3 k, I broke a spoke on my XC set. But otherwise, they're holding up real well.