PDA

View Full Version : Floor Pumps for Tubeless Installs: any Recommendations?

Tommasini53
01-05-2015, 06:47 AM
Hello,
I'm seeking recommendations for floor pumps that forumites successfully use to set up road tubeless tires. Is it realistic to expect a high volume floor pump to install a tubeless tire??

I have an old Silca floor pump but it does not have enough volume to blow on a road tubeless tire. Instead I've been using co2 cartridges, I'd really like to find a high volume floor pump that would do the job. I don't mind spending some $$ on good quality tools.

Has anyone used the new Bontrager TLR Flash Charger? If it really works, it is a great idea. thanks in advance.

oldpotatoe
01-05-2015, 06:57 AM
Hello,
I'm seeking recommendations for floor pumps that forumites successfully use to set up road tubeless tires. Is it realistic to expect a high volume floor pump to install a tubeless tire??

I have an old Silca floor pump but it does not have enough volume to blow on a road tubeless tire. Instead I've been using co2 cartridges, I'd really like to find a high volume floor pump that would do the job. I don't mind spending some $$ on good quality tools.

Has anyone used the new Bontrager TLR Flash Charger? If it really works, it is a great idea. thanks in advance.

I'd say step up and look for a decent, small, consumer level, compressor and not worry no more. Some I've seen in the $50+ range.

fa63
01-05-2015, 07:01 AM
I agree. I bought one from Lowe's a while back and it gets the job done.

Tommasini53
01-05-2015, 07:04 AM
yeah,
I wondered if a compressor was the better solution.

If I go the compressor route, what are the minimums I should look for??

....and a happy birthday to OldPotatoe.

oldpotatoe
01-05-2015, 07:15 AM
yeah,

Thanks..

I think any would be fine, not sure of numbers..more than 100 psi and drain it regularly. Gets moisture in it.

commonguy001
01-05-2015, 07:36 AM
Another option is a 5 gallon portable air tank and add a presta air chuck.
If you're only using it every so often stopping at a gas station to fill it isn't a big deal.

Cat3roadracer
01-05-2015, 07:59 AM
I've done it with a floor pump, but very difficult. I would definitely vote for a small compressor.

Repack Rider
01-05-2015, 09:06 AM
At Interbike I saw the Bontrager tubeless pump. (http://velonews.competitor.com/2014/10/bikes-and-tech/reviews/reviewed-bontrager-flash-charger-tubeless-tire-pump_351273) It pumps up a chamber that you release all at once.

oldpotatoe
01-05-2015, 09:18 AM
At Interbike I saw the Bontrager tubeless pump. (http://velonews.competitor.com/2014/10/bikes-and-tech/reviews/reviewed-bontrager-flash-charger-tubeless-tire-pump_351273) It pumps up a chamber that you release all at once.

"The Flash Charger is easy to use. To set up tubeless tires, first lower the red handle, then up the pressure in the pump to the green zone on the pressure gauge, which takes about 50 pumps

$120

And if it doesn't seat? Another 50 pumps..

http://www.amazon.com/Viair-00073-Heavy-Portable-Compressor/dp/B0012WHBSO/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1420471025&sr=8-5&keywords=portable+compressors

Even plug it into your car at races..get 2, have a spare.

dekindy
01-05-2015, 09:52 AM
Is this a conversion or a tubeless specific rim would be my question? If this is a conversion then I do not know the answer. If it is a tubeless specific rim then I would declare that there is nothing wrong with your equipment and that it is technique. I was in the same situation as you until I used the proper technique. It either took me 30 minutes and a pool of sweat on the basement floor or I took it to the LBS and they inflated using their compressor.

My guess is that now you are trying to get the tire to seal around the rim before inflating, and then when you are inflating you are chasing leaks and when you hold that portion of the tire against the rim then it leaks somewhere else?

Here is what you do. Make sure the that both sidewalls are sealed airtight around the valve. Then you are going to do the opposite with the rest of both sidewalls. Work the rest of the sidewalls into the center channel of the rim. Inflate with your floor pump. The sidewalls will expand uniformly and seal against the rim. Sometimes you may still get some leakage but don't worry about and keep pumping briskly; it has been my experience that the sidewalls will expand uniformly and seal against the rim even when there is some air leakage so just keep pumping. Since using this technique, even when air started leaking and I thought that I was going to experience the same frustration as before, as long as I pumped briskly the tire expanded and sealed. This technique has worked without fail, the first time and every time, since I started using it so I would be baffled why it would not work for anyone else.

I was using a Blackburn Airtower 2 pump installing Hutchinson Fusion 2 and Intensive tubeless tires on Shimano Dura Ace WH-7850SL rims which is Shimanos second generation road tubeless rim. I currently have the Ultegra WH-6800 wheel; but when purchased installed new tires and LBS did it since I purchased wheels from them and had the bike in for maintenance anyway.

Are you moistening the sidewall tires? I would also warm the tires in the Sun, or dryer, to make them more supple for installation. I have not personally had to warm them but it is a good trick that I have read. I always moisten the sidewalls with soapy water.

CNY rider
01-05-2015, 12:06 PM
Is this a conversion or a tubeless specific rim would be my question? If this is a conversion then I do not know the answer. If it is a tubeless specific rim then I would declare that there is nothing wrong with your equipment and that it is technique. I was in the same situation as you until I used the proper technique. It either took me 30 minutes and a pool of sweat on the basement floor or I took it to the LBS and they inflated using their compressor.

My guess is that now you are trying to get the tire to seal around the rim before inflating, and then when you are inflating you are chasing leaks and when you hold that portion of the tire against the rim then it leaks somewhere else?

Here is what you do. Make sure the that both sidewalls are sealed airtight around the valve. Then you are going to do the opposite with the rest of both sidewalls. Work the rest of the sidewalls into the center channel of the rim. Inflate with your floor pump. The sidewalls will expand uniformly and seal against the rim. Sometimes you may still get some leakage but don't worry about and keep pumping briskly; it has been my experience that the sidewalls will expand uniformly and seal against the rim even when there is some air leakage so just keep pumping. Since using this technique, even when air started leaking and I thought that I was going to experience the same frustration as before, as long as I pumped briskly the tire expanded and sealed. This technique has worked without fail, the first time and every time, since I started using it so I would be baffled why it would not work for anyone else.

I was using a Blackburn Airtower 2 pump installing Hutchinson Fusion 2 and Intensive tubeless tires on Shimano Dura Ace WH-7850SL rims which is Shimanos second generation road tubeless rim. I currently have the Ultegra WH-6800 wheel; but when purchased installed new tires and LBS did it since I purchased wheels from them and had the bike in for maintenance anyway.

Are you moistening the sidewall tires? I would also warm the tires in the Sun, or dryer, to make them more supple for installation. I have not personally had to warm them but it is a good trick that I have read. I always moisten the sidewalls with soapy water.

Agree with all of the above.
I have Shimano DA tubeless wheelset and some generic floor pump. It's all I have ever needed.
And I also use the soapy water.

dogdriver
01-05-2015, 06:50 PM
+1 a compressor. The shot of psi makes the install simple. If you're in need of power tools (aren't we all?) scan the HD/Lowe's ads for a bundle of an air tool/compressor. A small "pancake" compressor will be almost free, and you'll have that brad nailer you've always wanted...

Louis
01-05-2015, 07:21 PM
Speaking of compressors, a while back I bought a 6-gallon pancake compressor, mostly to do the car tires.

Are there any air tools you find yourself using all the time that be worthwhile considering? Right now I have none. (obviously stuff that requires massive air flow would be too much for this model, but I don't have any plans on becoming a roofer or doing any wood floors any time soon)

djg21
01-05-2015, 08:26 PM
yeah,

There's some good info on compressors for bicycle tires at: http://www.prestacycle.com/air_compressors.php. I own the PORTER-CABLE® C2002 that I purchased "refurbished" for under $100.

I cannot speak to the Prestaflator tool as I use the inflator head made by Park.

I also have Topeak Joe Blow Pro pump which I've used successfully to install tubeless MTB tires. It works, though I prefer using my compressor.

russ46
01-06-2015, 11:46 AM
I need to change out the sealant in my MTB tires in the near future. To avoid the furious pumping it required I purchased a Campbell Hausfeld MP6000 Tire Inflator with Gauge from Amazon for $13 and used some Bike Tires Direct points to buy a Topeak smart head replacement kit to use to replace the schrader head that came with the Campbell. Total investment $19. Works great - I think I'll patent it.

GRAVELBIKE
01-06-2015, 12:35 PM
I've had good luck with Blackburn's Airtower Shop pump on mtb and road tubeless.

For really stubborn rim/tire combinations, though, a small (3 gallon, 90psi) home compressor works better, IME.

josephr
01-06-2015, 01:56 PM
a box of 30 CO2 cartridges is around 30 bucks on amazon with free shipping. If you do some actual looking around you can probably find a better deal. Once you get the initial inflation and the seal has set, deflate slightly and replace with regular air. From there just keep up with the leakage so the tire doesn't get soft and unseat. If it does, no worry, another cartridge will set it easy-peasy....not like you won't have a bunch hanging around.

Keith A
01-06-2015, 04:23 PM
I've done it with a floor pump, but very difficult. I would definitely vote for a small compressor.This has been my experience as well. A compressor makes this much easier.

MaraudingWalrus
01-08-2015, 09:31 AM
The bontrager flash pump is really the only one I'd want to use trailside if I needed something. Really, though, compressor is the only way to go.