PDA

View Full Version : Chainline?

majorpat
01-04-2015, 07:18 PM
So, I have a Surly Pacer and rear spacing is 130mm. I (pretty) easily put a wheel with a shimano XT rear hub in there (135mm). Should it have any effect on the chainline? I just moved the cassette (Shimano 9 speed 12-27) from the old wheel to this one.
I ask about the chainline as it shifts kind of crappy now and skips on the smaller cogs.
I am confident somebody here will know, thank you.
Pat

zmudshark
01-04-2015, 07:41 PM
I would think so. I'm not an engineer or a pro mechanic, but isn't an XT crank made to fit into a wider BB shell? Wouldn't that move the chainline out, ideally? The extra width of the ideal BB shell and the actual width of the rear hub would seem to have an negative effect on shifting, especially with rear cogs greater than a 7s.

I don't know for sure, but seems logical to me. I'll let the mechanical engineers weigh in.

kramnnim
01-04-2015, 07:45 PM
I don't think it would make a significant difference. Did you have to adjust the RD limit screws? I think the sprockets would be the same distance from the inner face of the DS dropout...

eBAUMANN
01-04-2015, 07:46 PM
lets just take a minute to look at the numbers here:

68mm vs 73mm bb shells = 5mm, 2.5mm change on either side
130 vs 135mm hubs = 5mm, 2.5mm change on either side.

2.5mm difference spread over the length of the stays (41cm or so) is not going to yield much of an appreciable difference in chainline, at all.

try re-tuning your rd and fiddling with it a bit, it should be fine.

majorpat
01-04-2015, 07:51 PM
It was just the rear hub that is different. Still running a Sugino triple in front, no change there.

oliver1850
01-04-2015, 08:06 PM
Nine speed is pretty forgiving concerning chain angle, so I'd guess it's more of an adjustment issue.

That said, you probably didn't help the chainline with the wider hub. You didn't list the crank/BB so it's theoretically possible that you improved the chainline. I'm guessing that's not the case: if you have a road double with the correct BB on it, the wider hub will hurt the chainline to some extent. Still shouldn't hurt rear shifting, but you may run into FD cage rub issues when in the small ring, especially if using STI.

Depending on what model XT hub it is, you may be able to narrow to 130 and redish if you want to go to the trouble.

Now that I see you have a triple, it's even less likely that it's a chainline issue - especially if you have the problem in the big ring.

oldpotatoe
01-05-2015, 06:54 AM
So, I have a Surly Pacer and rear spacing is 130mm. I (pretty) easily put a wheel with a shimano XT rear hub in there (135mm). Should it have any effect on the chainline? I just moved the cassette (Shimano 9 speed 12-27) from the old wheel to this one.
I ask about the chainline as it shifts kind of crappy now and skips on the smaller cogs.
I am confident somebody here will know, thank you.
Pat

Chances are the cogs are not in the same relative position as the other, 130mm, wheel/cogset. Just an adjust of rear der is probably needed.

The Surly may be 132.5 plus or minus, also.