PDA

View Full Version : Boston

Ti-Boy
03-30-2006, 08:31 PM
I'll be in Boston next week for a work related conference. Looking for a non-city 40-50 mile bike friendly loop. I'll drive to the starting point to avoid city traffic. Any help/suggestions?

Bruce K
03-30-2006, 08:33 PM
Either PM me or Climb depending on if you want to go west (Climb) or north (me).

TiDesign or the jerk might be able to offer suggestions as well.

BK

Hysbrian
03-30-2006, 10:37 PM
Riding IN the city is part of the fun...at least for part of the ride.

manet
03-30-2006, 10:56 PM
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://poc.bostonycamps.org/images/pocmap.jpg&imgrefurl=http://poc.bostonycamps.org/map.html&h=500&w=724&sz=141&tbnid=v1loQCl93D8hWM:&tbnh=95&tbnw=139&hl=en&start=16&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dblue%2Bhills%2Breservation%26svnum%3D 10%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26sa%3DG

Climb01742
03-31-2006, 04:38 AM
yep, happy to offer suggestions. the weather is turning really nice here. there are two bike shops that could also help you with loops: belmont wheelworks (ask for ed or sean) and international bike center (the boston/alston one, ask for craig).

William
03-31-2006, 05:27 AM
.... and international bike center (the boston/alston one, ask for craig).

Mr. Friendly. ;)

William

Ti Designs
03-31-2006, 08:30 AM
yep, happy to offer suggestions. the weather is turning really nice here. there are two bike shops that could also help you with loops: belmont wheelworks (ask for ed or sean) and international bike center (the boston/alston one, ask for craig).

Asking Ed for directions is like asking a blind man if the light has changed. If there was a contest on who has the worst sense of direction, I would be the world champion. I've missed entire states on bike rides. Nobody belives that someone can have absolutly no sense of direction, so I had a friend ride along with me once, he wasn't allowed to give me any directional input. He suggested I sell my car and all my bikes and never leave the house again.

People assume that the guys in the bike shop know all sorts of bike loops, and most of them do! I only know my rides by doing them (even then I add about 100 miles a week by getting lost). I can find Nagog Hill road in my sleep, but I couldn't tell you how to get there.

davids
03-31-2006, 11:23 AM
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://poc.bostonycamps.org/images/pocmap.jpg&imgrefurl=http://poc.bostonycamps.org/map.html&h=500&w=724&sz=141&tbnid=v1loQCl93D8hWM:&tbnh=95&tbnw=139&hl=en&start=16&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dblue%2Bhills%2Breservation%26svnum%3D 10%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26sa%3DG
Dude! That's me in that picture. Ground Zero of my biking rebirth five years back... I was riding just to the north a few hours ago.

Ti Boy,

There's great riding north, west, and south. I can cover south and southwest for you. Where's the conference? It may be a relatively easy thing to ride from your doorstep and have a great 50 mile loop.

Here's a map of this morning's short ride: http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=93907 I can map others!

kgrooney
03-31-2006, 11:59 AM
Stop by the Black Rose for a pint!!

Lincoln
03-31-2006, 02:28 PM
<SNIP>
There's great riding north, west, and south. I can cover south and southwest for you. <SNIP>

Just not so good to the East.

davids
03-31-2006, 02:59 PM
Just not so good to the East.
Damp-ish, kinda.

Ti-Boy
04-02-2006, 07:06 PM
Thanks to all for the help. I've been hitting the maps/net and reached out to some here. Perhaps I'll just exit the hotel, clip in, and start peddling. A buddy did that last week. He planned on an easy 20 and ended up with a tough 64. He's a better man for it I spect?

beungood
04-02-2006, 08:45 PM
I'm off tuesday and looking to ride. Maybe we can get a few people to ride...

beungood
04-02-2006, 08:48 PM
Saw this on the Charles River Wheelmen website under recurring rides.:
Wednesday Wheelers
Times Varies, usually 10:00 AM. Distances are typically between 30 and 40 miles.
Description: A group that enjoys exploring a variety of scenic routes, mostly in the western suburbs but also to the north or south. Occasionally we do an urban exploration. We always include a lunch stop, either during or at the end of the ride. In the winter we may substitute other activities, such as cross-country skiing. We stay together, following the leader for the day, while being careful not to drop anyone. On a rural ride of average hilliness, the pace is 15 to 17 mph on the flats, but slows considerably on the hills, so we wind up with a rolling average of about 13 mph. In fairness to the group, we require that prospective riders be capable of maintaining this pace.
Leader: **** Arsenault (781-272-1771)
Note Different leader each week, to become a leader contact **** Arsenault
Start Location Varies.
Directions The ride coordinator sends ride announcements and ride reports by weekly e-mail. For more information, including the next ride start location, call or e-mail the ride coordinator day or early evening.

jerk
04-02-2006, 08:52 PM
On a rural ride of average hilliness, the pace is 15 to 17 mph on the flats, but slows considerably on the hills, so we wind up with a rolling average of about 13 mph. In fairness to the group, we require that prospective riders be capable of maintaining this pace. .

ahm....the jerk doesn't mean to be a jerk but...is maintaining that pace really a problem for anyone with a pulse?
jerk

e-RICHIE
04-02-2006, 09:00 PM
ahm....the jerk doesn't mean to be a jerk but...is maintaining that pace really a problem for anyone with a pulse?
jerk
is that a crw prerequisite?

jerk
04-02-2006, 09:05 PM
is that a crw prerequisite?

good point. the jerk was confusing "helmet mounted mirror" "orange safety vest" and "beard" with pulse again.

e-RICHIE
04-02-2006, 09:07 PM
good point. the jerk was confusing "helmet mounted mirror" "orange safety vest" and "beard" with pulse again.

that is the funniest thing i've read here
in 6 months. post of the 6 month period.

inGobwetrust
04-02-2006, 09:43 PM
Ti-Boy,

What hotel are you staying at? This would help us to make recomendations to you.

Ti-Boy
04-03-2006, 03:55 AM
I'm staying at the Courtyard Marriot on Tremont at/near the theater distict. I saw the Charles River Wheelman ride.

bostondrunk
04-03-2006, 08:49 AM
jerk

Hey, come on now, not all of us have raced with VDB, VDB's cousin, and other Giro stars!
imho bro cheers bro imho

TimD
04-03-2006, 09:19 AM
Tuesday Night

Tuesday Night World Championships (Nahanton Park, Newton): Location: Nahanton Park, Newton (Across From Wells Ave) Ride Leaves: 6:00 PM sharp Average Ride Speed: 22+ mph When: Every Tuesday night. Rides start first Tuesday after daylight savings and ends last Tuesday of daylight savings. This is a show-and-go ride geared to high intensity training. If you are looking for a recovery ride, this is not the ride for you. An arrowed, 28 mile rolling loop that winds through Needham, Dover, Natick, and Medfield. Attacking and sprinting are encouraged in order to keep the pace up. No one waits.

[From what I understand you'll be riding with fast people who know how to ride, but also people who think they are fast and think they know how to ride but in reality are not and do not.]

Wednesday Night

Wednesday Night CRW Masters Ride (Charles River Wheelman Ride) Time: 6:00 PM Sharp! starting April 7. Description: This Fitness Ride offers you the opportunity to ride with others in a paceline format. The ride welcomes everyone, especially masters riders who would like to ride with their peers. Groups of no more than 6 riders are started according to their expected speed. We encourage staying together as a group, waiting for others to catch up if you become separated. You will ride on scenic ,rolling! roads through Needham, Dover, Sherborn and Medfield. Total climbing for the long route is 1475 feet. Routes: Arrowed routes of 23, 28 or 33 miles. Cue Sheets available. Start: Broadmeadow Elementary School at 120 Broadmeadow Road, Needham, MA. Directions: From Routes 128/95, take Exit 18, Great Plain Ave and head West towards Needham. At the first light, turn right onto Greendale Ave. Go up the hill 0.4 miles, just over the railroad bridge. The first left after the bridge is Grosvenor Road, turn and go .3 miles. Next right onto Broadmeadow Road for 0.1 miles and you are there!

See also www.crw.org, where you'll find:

http://www.crw.org/cgi-bin/cues2htm.pl?id=117

Minuteman Road Club also has a Wednesday night ride out of Stow Center.
Course is 30-ish miles with (I think) about 3000' of climbing.

TimD

Mud
04-03-2006, 09:29 AM
He is an A group rider. I don't think 13mph is a problem.

Doc Hollywood
04-03-2006, 01:29 PM
This Tuesday (April 4) will be the first ride for 2006. My guess is that it will be fast for this time of year as the winter has been mild. 22 MPH over 28 miles with about 1200 feet climbing. Group size could be anywhere from 10 to 40. Most of the guys/gals do that do it race, so it is race oriented.

There is one "major" climb on the route (Glen St) at about mile 10 that separates the men from the boys. Not particularily steep, but just enough length and pitch to hurt the non climbers.

Most of the roads are light in traffic.

The Wednesnight night (CRW) from Needham, can be just as fast for the first group and follows most of the route that the Tuesday night ride does.

Doc

davids
04-03-2006, 02:06 PM
I'm staying at the Courtyard Marriot on Tremont at/near the theater distict. I saw the Charles River Wheelman ride.
You're going to be about 5 minutes from my office.

What days are you here? Weather's going downhill...