PDA

View Full Version : OT -- Rome loding

djg
01-04-2015, 09:01 AM
Ok, I know it's OT, but we're taking the family to Italy this spring and are trying to figure out lodging in Rome (probably 5 days). 3 kids, so that seems like either two hotel rooms or an apartment by one of the services or air bnb or something. Any suggestions? This is not a cycling trip, btw -- we want to do the tourist thing.

MadRocketSci
01-04-2015, 09:03 AM
Do you want cheap or nice?

while there go to Pizza Pinsere near the Termini train station, trust me.....

djg
01-04-2015, 09:10 AM
Do you want cheap or nice?

while there go to Pizza Pinsere near the Termini train station, trust me.....

I will trust you. We've got a certified Napolitano pizza joint here in Arlington and it's darn good, and the kids are fans, but the height of the art back in Italy definitely needs sampling (heck, anything above average in Italy is probably well worth sampling).

We want nice, but not sky is the limit nice. Maybe it's better just to put a ballpark number on it. We've been looking at apartments at maybe 400 a night -- and travelocity has been kicking up some supposedly 4 star hotels for 200 per room, per night, with breakfast. A few bucks higher or lower . . . you know, we'll be fine either way. I want this to be nice, but I also want to send all three kids to college.

bigbill
01-04-2015, 09:39 AM
I took my teenage son to Rome this past summer. I booked through Perillo tours for a week in Rome, tours each day, and the hotel. It was around $3500 a person. We stayed at the Rose Garden Palace which is across the street from the US Embassy. I planned the tours around what would interest a teenager so we went to the Coliseum, Tuscany, Pompeii, Vatican, and a crypts and catacombs tour. City Wonders is a great tour company, each tour was excellent with great guides. Taxis vary in price around town, you might pay a different rate each direction from the same location. To the airport is a flat rate of 48 Euros.

I was stationed on Sardinia in 2007 and would make trips to Rome. I could fly into Rome and take the Leonardo DE Vinci non stop train to Termini and then walk to a hotel near Piazza de Revolution. I stayed at Hotel Nord, a no frills but decent hotel. Get a hotel that includes breakfast. It's a big deal, especially with a family to start the day with a good meal since you're going all day. The Rose Garden Palace had an awesome spread with all kinds of meats, pastries, cereals, and coffee.

LouDeeter
01-04-2015, 09:43 AM
http://www.keytours.com/rome/sightseeings/65 offers good local sightseeing packages. We used several of their packages within Rome and also took their package that included train to Naples, then Pompeii, Sorrento, Capri, and Amalfi coast with train return trip to Rome.

MadRocketSci
01-04-2015, 10:58 AM
I will trust you. We've got a certified Napolitano pizza joint here in Arlington and it's darn good, and the kids are fans, but the height of the art back in Italy definitely needs sampling (heck, anything above average in Italy is probably well worth sampling).

We want nice, but not sky is the limit nice. Maybe it's better just to put a ballpark number on it. We've been looking at apartments at maybe 400 a night -- and travelocity has been kicking up some supposedly 4 star hotels for 200 per room, per night, with breakfast. A few bucks higher or lower . . . you know, we'll be fine either way. I want this to be nice, but I also want to send all three kids to college.

Can't help you there. Even in my 40's i still go Let's Go cheap style though i ditched the backpack. Pinsere doesn't resemble Napolitano pizza and i'm not sure it resembles Roman pizza (either the round kind or the quick kind that's cut with scissors and weighed), but there's a line there everyday for lunch from all the local business people (there's not much to see in the area). It's mostly a takeout place. But definitely great and unique pizza - i'm a snob :)

If you like that 2000 calorie Roman dish Spaghetti Carbonara go to La Carbonara near the city center, NOT the one in Campo de Fiori. They claim to have invented the dish, which I find doubtful, but it's the best example of the dish I've found. Other stuff there is good too.

I'm so hungry right now :)

cbresciani
01-04-2015, 11:43 AM
I would highly recommend this https://www.airbnb.com/?mr=f we used this service for our trip to Italy in October of last year. The place we stayed at was great, a very short walk to the Colosseum.