PDA

View Full Version : Tufo tape...

catulle
03-30-2006, 07:50 PM
Please excuse my ignorance, but is Tufo tape used with regular tubulars as a substitute for glue? Or is it only used with Tufo tubulars/tires?

Also, if Continetal glue results in the grubby little black residue on the side of the tubies, what would be the better glue to be used?

Thank you.

ergott
03-30-2006, 08:37 PM
I use Tufo Extreme tape. I know a lot of others that do. No rolled tires yet. As with any installation, (no matter what glue you use) the most important thing you can do is get the grease off the rim with a wax and grease remover. Some use acetone, I use wax and grease remover from an autosupply. It is used for final cleaning before paint and will not harm the surface (carbon, al etc.). Just wipe on. The chemical evaporates almost instantly.

catulle
03-31-2006, 06:20 AM
Oh, so I can just (remove grease and wax first, of course) wrap a sticky tape around the rim and mount my tubbie, and that's it?

catulle
03-31-2006, 06:53 AM
Also, the Extreme Tufo tape could be used with any tubular? Veloflex or Continental, for instance?

dbrk
03-31-2006, 07:23 AM
Also, the Extreme Tufo tape could be used with any tubular? Veloflex or Continental, for instance?

Yes. Bear in mind that people who use sew-ups are zealots (not in a bad sense but they have religion...take that from the religion professor). Some insist that glue alone will do but I have had nothing but success with Tufo tape and can't see why the muss of glue is any longer required. This stuff works. Then again, I have only two or three sets of tubulars left and though I admit they are a superior ride, I don't require that level of performance any longer. Clinchers are just easier (but not according to tubular guys, that being part of the religion...).

dbrk

ergott
03-31-2006, 08:06 AM
The tape has a backing on both sides. On the end is a little label that shows you which side is for the rims and which is for the tire. You take the backing off the rim side as you put it on. Leave the backing on the tire side.

It works best with pre-stretched tires so if you got them, put them on some rims and inflate. Nxt, put the tire on after taking the backing off a few inches on either side of the valve hole. Inflate to about 30-40psi. Align the tire. Then, start pulling out the backing. It is plastic and hard to tear. Inflate to pressure and go!

One thing to look out for is sometimes the backing splits like a bannana peal. Just catch the ends and your good to go. It takes me about 10min a tire from start to finish. That time is with a nice glass of red by my side ;-)

catulle
03-31-2006, 08:22 AM
Yes. Bear in mind that people who use sew-ups are zealots (not in a bad sense but they have religion...take that from the religion professor). Some insist that glue alone will do but I have had nothing but success with Tufo tape and can't see why the muss of glue is any longer required. This stuff works. Then again, I have only two or three sets of tubulars left and though I admit they are a superior ride, I don't require that level of performance any longer. Clinchers are just easier (but not according to tubular guys, that being part of the religion...).

dbrk´

Back when I rode a Legnano, we used to glue the Pirelli tubulars with shellac. The same shellac used for gaskets. Back then, if you didn't get your Algebra straight, the jesuits would make you kneel on corn kernels. I'm all for renovation. :beer:

theprep
03-31-2006, 08:35 AM
Ergott

I have a couple of rolls of the Extreme tape and have been hesitant to use them.

What do the tire and rim look like after you flat with the tape?

How do you install the next tire after a flat? The permanent one, not the spare.

Do you just keep adding layers of tape on top of each other?

Do you pay $7.95 every time you need to mount a tire?

I know you use Veloflex Carbons as do I, does the base tape survive tire removals.

thanks,
Joe

ergott
03-31-2006, 08:44 AM
Ergott

I have a couple of rolls of the Extreme tape and have been hesitant to use them.

What do the tire and rim look like after you flat with the tape?

How do you install the next tire after a flat? The permanent one, not the spare.

Do you just keep adding layers of tape on top of each other?

Do you pay $7.95 every time you need to mount a tire?

I know you use Veloflex Carbons as do I, does the base tape survive tire removals.

thanks,
Joe

I dont' pay $7.95 every time ;)

Base tape survives.

Most of the Tufo tape comes off with the tire.

I just pick off the more offensive stuff before mounting the next tire.

The finished product is neat and as straight as the tire will allow.

I haven't used any one wheelset for long enough to have more than a flat or two. Usually the tire wears out and I sell the wheels. :D There's no better way to learn about wheels then to ride a lot of different kinds! My keaper wheels are too boring for most. Reflex/Chorus and now, my Phil Wood/Pro Elites.