PDA

View Full Version : Anyone riding dt swiss r23 spline wheels?

picstloup
01-04-2015, 05:46 AM
Just looking for some real experience, good or bad, from users...

I'm thinking of getting back into road cycling. After 20 years I stopped the last three or four. I have a couple old steel frames with campy 8 speed stuff to get rolling. I miss being out on the road alone or with my old club, La Fleche du Midi.

As a present to myself if I stick with the road work, I've been toying with the idea of ordering a Canyon Endurace which comes with the aforementioned wheelset and Ultegra 11 speed group for 1850 euros shipped to my home in France.

Want to know what I'm getting myself into. It all 'sounds' good. And the price for the quality seems good too.

any thoughts?...

Hell, Canyon also has a model with Chorus 11 speed for 2350 shipped. I'm tempted by that because i have a lightly used pair of open pro's with a record 10 speed hub that I've heard will take an 11 speed cassette. I hope that's true.

Ok. off to the park for a quick tour and maybe a run. Good day to you all and thanks for any advice.

oldpotatoe
01-04-2015, 06:14 AM
Just looking for some real experience, good or bad, from users...

I'm thinking of getting back into road cycling. After 20 years I stopped the last three or four. I have a couple old steel frames with campy 8 speed stuff to get rolling. I miss being out on the road alone or with my old club, La Fleche du Midi.

As a present to myself if I stick with the road work, I've been toying with the idea of ordering a Canyon Endurace which comes with the aforementioned wheelset and Ultegra 11 speed group for 1850 euros shipped to my home in France.

Want to know what I'm getting myself into. It all 'sounds' good. And the price for the quality seems good too.

any thoughts?...

Hell, Canyon also has a model with Chorus 11 speed for 2350 shipped. I'm tempted by that because i have a lightly used pair of open pro's with a record 10 speed hub that I've heard will take an 11 speed cassette. I hope that's true.

Ok. off to the park for a quick tour and maybe a run. Good day to you all and thanks for any advice.

Get the Chorus bike. The 10s Campag hub will accept a 11s Campagnolo cogset.

macaroon
01-04-2015, 07:29 AM
An 11 speed Chorus cassette on your open pros will work with 11 speed Ultegra

picstloup
01-04-2015, 07:57 AM
Hi oldpotatoe...

I've always used campy components, first 8 then 10 speed chorus. So I am drawn to the canyon endurace cf model with campy 11 speed. I'm just not sure I can push my budget another 500 euros. I need a new helmet, some clothes, gloves, maybe even shoes/pedals. So the 500 will come in handy. Also, I've read the ultegra group is nicely made and works well. I'm even tempted by the 105 group package. Same frame and only 1550 shipped. But from years ago I heard the Ultegra group would last longer and stay tuned up (shifting better) over the years. Not sure any of this is still true.

Any reason you suggest the campy groupset? I mean I know it's quality stuff, unless things have changed at Campagnolo. You don't have to sell me that. Do you feel it's better than the shimano ultegra 11 group?

Honest, I haven't been paying much attention to all this for years now. So educate me please about what you'd feel I should know. And thank you in advance. I appreciate you taking the time.

Hi macaroon, thanks for confirming that...having a spare set of wheels right off the bat is a nice plus...

oldpotatoe
01-04-2015, 08:04 AM
Hi oldpotatoe...

I've always used campy components, first 8 then 10 speed chorus. So I am drawn to the canyon endurace cf model with campy 11 speed. I'm just not sure I can push my budget another 500 euros. I need a new helmet, some clothes, gloves, maybe even shoes/pedals. So the 500 will come in handy. Also, I've read the ultegra group is nicely made and works well. I'm even tempted by the 105 group package. Same frame and only 1550 shipped. But from years ago I heard the Ultegra group would last longer and stay tuned up (shifting better) over the years. Not sure any of this is still true.

Any reason you suggest the campy groupset? I mean I know it's quality stuff, unless things have changed at Campagnolo. You don't have to sell me that. Do you feel it's better than the shimano ultegra 11 group?

Honest, I haven't been paying much attention to all this for years now. So educate me please about what you'd feel I should know. And thank you in advance. I appreciate you taking the time.

Hi macaroon, thanks for confirming that...having a spare set of wheels right off the bat is a nice plus...

The ultegra kit is fine, but it's shimano. shimano is fine, it isn't sp(r)am..so it's decent workable gear but Chorus is a step above, on par with DA 9000...

I guess you can't 'build' a bike, must be an entire group-BUT if you could, Some Chorus bits, some Athena bits..best of both worlds. Save some dough.

Or get the frame/fork, get a group, mixed, matched from one of the UK deep discount MO places..build, use the wheels you have..

josephr
01-04-2015, 10:47 AM
to answer your original question -- I've been riding the r23 spline wheels for over a 1.5 years now and have about 3500 miles on them. I weigh about 195-200lbs and occasional rough roads and a fair amount of hills around here. The guys at DT Swiss say they're rated to a rider up to 230lbs. I find them reasonably light and there's no flex for me when climbing out of the saddle. The rear hub is not as quiet as a Shimano, but pretty close and the 'ratchet' system is tight. I noticed on yesterday's group ride it was raining pretty hard and was definitely using up pad...in the past, once the brake track got gooped up it was just a long day, but it seemed to me that DT Swiss's brake track seems to clean itself in wet situations better than other wheels I've ridden. I'm sure someone is going to say 'that's crazy' but as always, YMMV, right?

The front has been bullet proof, but the rear wheel had truing issues. I finally narrowed it down to a specific spoke/nipple that would rattle itself loose, once I fixed that, its been dancing banana. :banana:

I wouldn't have any problems recommending them at all.
Joe

picstloup
01-04-2015, 12:17 PM
Thanks Joseph, that's good to hear.

It seems like a solid package Canyon is offering for the price. Even did some quick searches for groups, wheels, etc. to build up their endurace cf frame. Their package prices are really good.

I'm gonna wait about 12 weeks. Get rolling on my old road bike. See how it goes. Then maybe order the Canyon mid spring, early summer. Give all my research some time to cool. Come back to it all and see if I still feel the same way about ordering over the internet.

Lots of nice bikes in the local shops. But not one comes close to offering the all around solid package for the price of the Canyon.

I've got this old Tommaso. Columbus sl tubing. Bought in 1990. Chorus 8 speed group that still works fine. Bought in 1994. It's a heavy bike, but handles well. Just need some winter tires/tubes to get it ready.

josephr
01-04-2015, 08:18 PM
go to thinking today about your post and I realize quite a few OEMs give you a 'lesser' wheel to try and make their end of the deal a little sweeter. This isn't the case here -- Yeti puts the mountain bike Spline wheels on their higher end bikes. The R23 is a 240S level hub, 14 gauge bladed spokes, and a light, aluminum rim. To 'upgrade' you'd really have to spend some $$$.