PDA

View Full Version : Bont heat molding help/advice

Cicli
01-03-2015, 07:35 AM
Anyone done it?
I bought a new pair of Vaypors and can't seem to lower the arch in one. The other is perfect. How long can you cook them? I am going 20 minutes at a time and working with a screwdriver handle but they don't budge. How soft does the carbon sole get?
Help, these are perfect except for that one spot.
Thanks.

ultraman6970
01-03-2015, 10:08 AM
You have to heat the arch from the outside with a hair dryer and put a lot of weight so it actually do what you want. When I mean a lot of weight maybe put them under a big ass table leg. I read some guys actually sat over the table to flat them, but the idea of the shoe is to give you all the support needed so....

Second option, ride the shoes in the rain, for some reason after that probably wont bother you no more. I got two showers in a ride and the shoe got more comfortable the next day.

3rd option... put cork tape under the insole so you smooth the arch. before and after the arch. if you do that the arch gets flatter. I did this, i calm my arches too.

Sadly IME a combination of the 3 helped but it will take like around 2 to 3 weeks to get used to the arch and to get used to them. After that you won't even feel them on. The shoe is designed to give you support all the way around the pedal stroke, up and down. Thats its design.

Try the cork 1st, then the heat or combination of both. rain I would not do that at purpose.

Hope this helps.

nooneline
01-03-2015, 10:15 AM
Anyone done it?
I bought a new pair of Vaypors and can't seem to lower the arch in one. The other is perfect. How long can you cook them? I am going 20 minutes at a time and working with a screwdriver handle but they don't budge. How soft does the carbon sole get?
Help, these are perfect except for that one spot.
Thanks.

What temp have you been cooking them at? Bont's instructions have the temp too low. I think they say something like 150 - I usually do 200.

When I heatmold Bonts, I put a pair of socks in the freezer, and I have two Ace bandages and a screwdriver handy. And, I usually plan on molding them two or three times over in order to get it just right.

When you take the Bonts out of the oven, start by using the screwdriver to push OUT on those problem areas - like that arch.

Then, put the cold socks on, and put the baked Bonts on your feet. Then wrap them in the Ace bandages pretty tightly. This will help bring the mold in in the other places. You can wrap to avoid the arches so you don't bring them in again.

Repeat as necessary.

They do have 'intrusive' arches, so another thing you can plan to do is to get better insoles that help smooth out the curve a bit.

Cicli
01-03-2015, 10:21 AM
I am heating them for 15 min at 170. They seem soft but maybe not enough. I will try different insoles. I have relatively flat insoles in them now so...........
Thanks so far.

nooneline
01-03-2015, 03:37 PM
Yeah, try 15+ at 200.

Charles M
01-03-2015, 03:40 PM
ovens...

Unless you put a separate thermometer inside, your oven can be +/- 25-50 degrees.

tjk23
01-05-2015, 03:18 PM
I tried a pair of Bonts and never could get them to fit right. I thought about trying a higher heat but was too nervous about ruining them.

MaraudingWalrus
01-08-2015, 09:34 AM
Yeah, was talking to our QBP rep about them before I ordered my Vaypor +. He said in his talking to the guys at Bont they said that the heating temp to actually do anything to them is markedly higher than their instructions, just that they couldn't say that because they knew people would overshoot anyways and if they said heat at 200 then people would do 300. Or something like that.

cdn_bacon
01-08-2015, 09:59 AM
I used the base end of a screwdriver (mine had a rubber handle) and pushed the instep down as it was pre-moulded to another foot. then reheated the shoe and strapped my foot in and sat still for 5 mins