PDA

View Full Version : Repair work warrantied?

pakora
01-02-2015, 10:20 PM
I just discovered a crack at the seatstay/dropout joint in a frame that I had repaired less than a year ago.

Is repair work typically covered by any kind of warranty? I'll probably get in touch with the builder either way, but good to know what's common.

(the crack is in the repaired portion, of course, not some other part of the frame, and it's a production steel frame, not one originally made by this builder)

kramnnim
01-02-2015, 10:31 PM
Seems like the kind of thing that someone should stand behind... Various carbon repairers offer 5, 10 and lifetime warranties.

fogrider
01-02-2015, 11:40 PM
Seems like the kind of thing that someone should stand behind... Various carbon repairers offer 5, 10 and lifetime warranties.

who warranties their repairs for a lifetime?

ultraman6970
01-02-2015, 11:49 PM
Trek used to do it.

fogrider
01-03-2015, 12:14 AM
Trek used to do it.

for trek, it's a marketing thing...most of the time, they just give you a new frame. it was/is a warranty thing, I don't remember hearing anyone going to trek for a repair not covered by warranty.

oldpotatoe
01-03-2015, 06:08 AM
Trek used to do it.

trek never repaired anything, they replaced.

For the OP, what does the person who did the repair say?

Pictures would be nice but whatever..

binxnyrwarrsoul
01-03-2015, 06:12 AM
Never needed a repair, or a repair repaired, but a year? Contact the cat who repaired it and see what he says.

kramnnim
01-03-2015, 06:39 AM
who warranties their repairs for a lifetime?

Cyclocarbon. No, not a well known, well established company, but he's done some interesting repairs and doesn't charge a lot.

pakora
01-03-2015, 08:27 AM
For the OP, what does the person who did the repair say?

Pictures would be nice but whatever..

I haven't talked to them yet because I discovered it last night lubing my chain for a ride that would have been this morning. I'll call them on Monday.

The crack goes 80% of the way around the stay - may have been working itself around for a while, as it's the outside face that isn't cracked through yet. I've heard a couple of funny sounds from the rear of the bike, but I though it was my lousy line choice :cool:

http://i.imgur.com/wDMOfUf.jpg?1

ultraman6970
01-03-2015, 09:57 AM
That has been cracked for a while.

pakora
01-03-2015, 10:44 AM
Besides that paint is chipped at the crack, how can you tell?

I'm not sure what caught my eye, as the bike is currently splattered with dried mud, but as I was wiping off the chain I dragged my fingernail against it and found it wasn't paint or dirt.

John H.
01-03-2015, 10:45 AM
Was either stay or the dropout replaced? Or just brazed back together?

pakora
01-03-2015, 10:49 AM
The old driveside dropout was cracked through. Both dropouts were removed and replaced with a matching Paragon pair, as the builder noted that it may be tough to get spacing and alignment right with the remaining proprietary ones.

John H.
01-03-2015, 10:56 AM
Sounds like you were on borrowed time with that repair?

pakora
01-03-2015, 07:19 PM
I'm not sure what that means. Generally I understand a brazed or tigwelded joint to be for all intents and purposes permanent when done correctly.

Unless you mean that for mountain bike frames it's not if it breaks but when, in which case, sure. But it's auspicious to me that the break is exactly where the repair was done, in a place where previous to the repair there was no damage.

cash05458
01-03-2015, 07:27 PM
not really sure what you mean...so no problem on the place the repair was done? that really makes no sense...am I reading you wrong? if so apologies...but otherwise, are you kidding around?

tig welded or any sorta welded does not mean permanent...Ideally yes...but things happen...even steel bikes break...ti does as well...carbon of course...