PDA

View Full Version : New shipping charges for 2015??

weisan
01-02-2015, 04:00 PM
Shipped out a set of wheels to a pal living in the West Coast this morning.
The box measured 31 x 31 x 11 and weighs 8 pounds.

Thought I would stop by a new UPS store that just opened in my neighborhood. The pal at the counter quoted me $81 for ground. I gulped and I blinked. I told him that somebody had just shipped something to me from the northeast using this same box and weighs about the same, it costs him $38 through US postal. He challenged my "assumption" by stating that they actually have USPS rates in their system for comparison and partnership program - if I go through USPS, it would actually cost MORE - as in $100+. I choked.

He explained further, apparently, UPS just revised their pricing on Jan 1. and this is their new rates. I politely declined and went to FedEx, it came up to $46, I still consider it high but it's better than $80 and up.

Has anyone experienced the shipping sticker shock lately?

I also want to warn my pals who so generously include shipping in their prices on the classifieds, I appreciate that - but you might want to verify again before having to make up the difference at your own expense.

texbike
01-02-2015, 04:03 PM
Keep in mind that the UPS "Stores" usually have a significant mark-up on their shipping costs. I've used BikeFlights.com a couple of times in the past several months and have become a believer. Their rates and ease of use are hard to beat for larger packages.

Texbike

thirdgenbird
01-02-2015, 04:13 PM
Shipping frame from my local post office ~$30

Shipping frame from my local shipping store via USPS ~$100

I don't get it. I've tried it twice.

weisan
01-02-2015, 04:17 PM
thanks tex-pal, that's a good tip, i went over to their website and they quoted $29, but the box is slightly smaller, I think that's more reasonable.

bird-pal, I think the main difference is that some, if not all, of these so-called storefronts are actually "individually owned" and they are free to include their mark-ups as part of the profit.

shovelhd
01-02-2015, 04:20 PM
UPS stores are franchised.

eBAUMANN
01-02-2015, 04:24 PM
never take a box to a STORE to ship. never ever ever.
it will ALWAYS be cheaper to buy online. always always always.
plus you wont have wasted your time when the dude at the counter slaps you across the face with a ridiculous quote like that.

www.bikeflights.com for fedex (big boxes)

www.paypal.com/shipnow for USPS (little boxes - priority AND first class postage available)

ive been shipping stuff for a long time...often...and those are the 2 methods I use to ship EVERYTHING.

just my 2c!

Llewellyn
01-02-2015, 04:27 PM
Compared to sending anything anywhere using Australia Post those charges seem quite reasonable :mad:

tigoat
01-02-2015, 04:42 PM
Yeap I got burned once on shipping cost using the UPS store and swear will never do that again. I ship most heavier items thru FedEx nowadays with prepaid labeling via the web. Even comparing them on the web UPS is usually more expensive than FedEx. Go figure!

zmudshark
01-02-2015, 04:54 PM
Former UPS driver. Never, ever ever take a package to a UPS store unless you have already paid for it online. FDX is usually cheaper, and USPS cheaper still. Use online accounts, not over the counter pricing.

Satellite
01-02-2015, 05:25 PM
Just shipped a complete mountain bike to Singapore. It cost me $77 to ship it to Flordia through MYUS.com and a hair over $100 to ship it from FL to Singapore. FedEx wanted $650 and that was through my account on-line. It took less time to get from FL. to Singapore than, CO. to FL. Crazy!

lonoeightysix
01-02-2015, 05:27 PM
never take a box to a STORE to ship. never ever ever.
it will ALWAYS be cheaper to buy online. always always always.
plus you wont have wasted your time when the dude at the counter slaps you across the face with a ridiculous quote like that.

www.bikeflights.com for fedex (big boxes)

www.paypal.com/shipnow for USPS (little boxes - priority AND first class postage available)

ive been shipping stuff for a long time...often...and those are the 2 methods I use to ship EVERYTHING.

just my 2c!

Thanks for the PayPal link. Was wondering how to get out of the priority only conundrum with USPS online services.

Mikej
01-02-2015, 05:28 PM
Yep remember the stores are a separate entity- those ups guys are part of the original cost, the store employees are part of a private entity that is essentially skimming the top by triple charging you. Mini-mall rent must be like 2k a month + workers + investor profit+ franchise fee. I learned that sending a frame out, now I go right down to the brown hub. My moms business hAs an account, that's how you really save big.

ultraman6970
01-02-2015, 08:04 PM
Weisan you have to figure it out the size of the box that will give you the best price... back like a year or 2 ago the box you mention was enough because the combined girth was like 118.. last year the thing was spot 108... this year and last year if you go over 108 you get hammered.

The box you used is 115 combined girth.. you are off for a lot, if it was 107 it would had been for less.

Send frames and wheels is getting expensive lately just because they need to be fit in the right box size.

oldpotatoe
01-03-2015, 06:21 AM
Shipped out a set of wheels to a pal living in the West Coast this morning.
The box measured 31 x 31 x 11 and weighs 8 pounds.

Thought I would stop by a new UPS store that just opened in my neighborhood. The pal at the counter quoted me $81 for ground. I gulped and I blinked. I told him that somebody had just shipped something to me from the northeast using this same box and weighs about the same, it costs him $38 through US postal. He challenged my "assumption" by stating that they actually have USPS rates in their system for comparison and partnership program - if I go through USPS, it would actually cost MORE - as in $100+. I choked.

He explained further, apparently, UPS just revised their pricing on Jan 1. and this is their new rates. I politely declined and went to FedEx, it came up to $46, I still consider it high but it's better than $80 and up.

Has anyone experienced the shipping sticker shock lately?

I also want to warn my pals who so generously include shipping in their prices on the classifieds, I appreciate that - but you might want to verify again before having to make up the difference at your own expense.

I went on Click and Ship, USPS from Boulder to LA, your package and get $77.90, for info-

Gummee
01-03-2015, 07:27 AM
Weisan you have to figure it out the size of the box that will give you the best price... back like a year or 2 ago the box you mention was enough because the combined girth was like 118.. last year the thing was spot 108... this year and last year if you go over 108 you get hammered.

The box you used is 115 combined girth.. you are off for a lot, if it was 107 it would had been for less.

Send frames and wheels is getting expensive lately just because they need to be fit in the right box size.I got hit with a 'balloon surcharge' at USPS shipping out a 2-wheel box. Price of shipping went from $20-some to high $30s in one swish of the measuring tape.

Grrrr

So ya gotta be careful.

M

SpeedyChix
01-03-2015, 07:38 AM
First of the year both FedEx and UPS revised their shipping to be dimensional weight pretty much across the board. Net increase in shipping rates. As noted in earlier posts, do your shipping label buying online. Get a FedEx and USPS account. The "back door" to first class postage via paypal is a great savings on light packages.