PDA

View Full Version : When you read or hear of someone being run down on a bike, does it affect you

firerescuefin
01-02-2015, 03:17 PM
Does it or has it changed your habits?

For me, I don't really like riding alone, which is odd, because the first 6 years of my riding, I pretty much rode alone all the time, and I loved it.

I was clipped by a mirror on a way out country rode 12 years ago, and run off the road by a landscaping trailer 3 years ago (on downhill stretch of road while I was going 40+). Both were while I was riding alone. The second incident (given that I had 2 kids and one on the way) really bothered me as I thought I was going to go down hard into a rocky ravine/drainage culvert. That incident really caused me to examine my routes as that route in particular was a little narrow on that stretch. I knew it, but had always gotten away with it...up till then. Additionally, I started wanting to ride with groups more as it makes your radar signature bigger (in my mind) and someone will be there to render aid/call 911/ be a witness if I go down. I know many feel less safe in groups. My point is that my behavior changed because of what I was witnessing/experiencing.

I am building a gravel bike right now. I am really looking forward to doing that type of riding, but I'd be lying if I didn't tell you that I am also looking to reduce my road exposure, especially as my oldest gets closer to sharing the sport with me. I have a hard time wanting to share this sport with him (from the road side).

After reading the Thomas Palermo thread, I thought to myself..."I can't get that bike built fast enough....and I'm ready to broaden my horizons". I also re-inventoried my rides and habits and ran them through the risk/reward matrix.

Outside of time with my family, there is nothing that I get more out of than riding my bike. It checks off so many boxes for me. I'm not giving it up, but I'd be lying if I said that every time I hear a story of a distracted or drug'd up driver hitting and/or killing a rider, combined with the shrug'd shoulders reaction of everyone but the cycling community, I shrink away a little more.

texbike
01-02-2015, 03:30 PM
My brother and I recently had this very discussion. He's made the decision to focus more on rides that are dirt-based and away from traffic. Although incidents like the ones mentioned do raise my personal awareness of the potential implications, my perspective has always been "when it's your time to go, it's your time to go". Whether that be on your bike, in a car, walking down the street, in a bathtub, in bed, whatever. I agree that there is a risk/reward analysis that should be performed on all our actions, but I refuse (perhaps stupidly) to have fear limit my life choices.

With that said, I've had some VERY close calls over the years. Mostly recently, I had a Cadillac CTV decide to shoot across 3 lanes to take a right turn and almost take me out in the process.

Texbike

FlashUNC
01-02-2015, 03:30 PM
I think everybody's got an evolving risk appetite when it comes to riding. I know I don't take the same kinds of risks at 34 that I did at 17.

My serious spill a couple years back led to some re-evaluation, even though cars weren't involved and it mostly my own stupidity. I changed some things to appease The Boss that were sensible, and I'm more risk averse when it comes to fast group rides and I'm definitely a brake-dragger downhill, but I haven't changed my habits much beyond that.

I personally worry a bit if I transitioned more to, say, dirt, about what happens if I'm hurt miles from the nearest paved road. I don't know if it necessarily lessens the risk, just changes what I'm facing as that risk, if that makes sense.

rwsaunders
01-02-2015, 03:34 PM
I have to agree with you Geoff that it does make me think about things like higher quality lighting, brighter colors of kit, even the type of tires that I ride. Mostly riding early in the mornings on weekends and avoiding times when I know that certain roads are busy.

I also think at some point, that one could obsess about it and avoid riding on the road altogether. In the case of your son, I'd be reluctant to take a young kid on the road as well and my wife will only ride the rails/trails.

My prime responsibly to my family in terms of me riding on the road is to make sure that my gear is in good working order and that my life insurance is up to date. In the case of life insurance, riding or not, that should be a given. I've had two friends not make it home from their family vacations (drownings) which was a wake up call for me.

christian
01-02-2015, 03:44 PM
I gotta be honest, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't thinking about hanging up the road thing and buying a nicer mtb.

Cicli
01-02-2015, 03:51 PM
No, I am still going to ride.

My luck, the day I hang up the road bike the ceiling will crash in and the damn thing will impale me.

Keith A
01-02-2015, 03:53 PM
I've been hit three times by a vehicle while riding my bike and one of those times, my bike was destroyed. I've also been clipped a couple of times by a mirror, been hit by the fist of a passenger, had a full can of soda thrown at me along with other various objects. I've also crashed several times while racing and so with all the personal experiences, I recognize and understand the potential dangers of this sport/activity.

Even with all this events, the one thing that changed me more than anything else was destroying my ACL while skateboarding and the subsequent surgical reconstruction and recovery. After going through that, I stopped racing as I didn't want to have to endure recovering from another injury like that.

But you asked how reading about other injuries and deaths affect me -- while I'm not sure my behavior or riding habits change because of this, I am a more cautious cyclist than I was before. I will often take "safer" routes and there are certain people that I won't ride next to in a group ride. I'm also very conscious of the vehicles around me and abide by the traffic laws, not only to keep me safer, but also not to agitate the drivers.

seanile
01-02-2015, 03:58 PM
this was recently polled to an extent
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=159624&highlight=habits

lonoeightysix
01-02-2015, 04:06 PM
Every time I see or smell road kill, I think about it. The irony is not lost...

Llewellyn
01-02-2015, 04:23 PM
I always assume that anyone in any of the vehicles around me while I'm riding could do something stupid or unexpected at any time that could have an impact (literally) on me, so I always ride with that in mind and try to anticipate and avoid any problems before they happen. So far it seems to have served me well.

Now that I'm married I have even more reasons to make sure that I come home alive after every ride so I've been riding with lights on day or night to try and move the odds in my favour.

But when I read about things like the Tom Palermo incident, it makes me mad but even more determined that I'm not going to allow things like that stop me from riding because overall I think the chances of being involved in an accident are outweighed by the enjoyment and health benefits of riding my bike.

biker72
01-02-2015, 05:34 PM
Never been hit by a car....not even close. Other bicycles or very rare inattention to road conditions are my problem.

I generally ride by myself.

MadRocketSci
01-02-2015, 05:44 PM
I used to ride more miles on the road. I like climbing but a lot of my miles were to get to the climbs. Now I drive to the climbs. Two things I like about climbs, in particular the twisty steeper kinds, regarding safety: 1) Drivers have to pay attention or they will quickly drive off the road or into oncoming traffic (hopefully not a cyclist), the point being that it's a lot more obvious they can't take their eyes off the road for short periods and 2) Cell phone coverage tends to suck on good climbs.

In my younger days I used to ride up and down HWY1 in CA and not think much about the gawkers whizzing by while staring at the coastline. Now that just seems a bit stupid.

I am planning on spreading out my rides between my Salsa Vaya Ti (gravel dirt), a mtn bike, when i get one, and my road bikes.

Climb01742
01-02-2015, 05:51 PM
I try my best to choose the roads I ride and the times I ride with greater safety, fewer cars in mind. And no more black jerseys or jackets. What's frustrating, though, is this: as I try to ride more safely and take fewer dumb chances, drivers keep doing things that endanger us all. We're not all on the same side.

jr59
01-02-2015, 06:02 PM
I've been hit to many times to count. I still can not pull on the bars 2 years after my last exchange with an 18 wheeler.

That being said, I have lived the life that most only dream of. I have no children, nor wife, so that is not a worry. If I go tomorrow, I will gladly meet my maker with zero regret. Not that I have a death wish or anything like that. I want to ride 99 miles when i'm 99! But if it all ends tonight, so be it and please go for a ride and then a drink and a fine meal and think of me. No regrets.

So, I try to be careful and watch what I do as well as others around me. In fact there are people I won't ride with from their own style of ridding. I don't heal so fast at my age.

I enjoy ridding off road, but in truth it beats me up to much other than to just sort of cruise around. Mostly I stick to the back streets and as Warren Zevon says; Enjoy every sandwich!

abalone
01-02-2015, 06:07 PM
Yes, because no matter the time of day, no matter how experienced you are and how wide the bike lane is, your life is in the hands of the driver behind the wheel.

R3awak3n
01-02-2015, 06:38 PM
I definitely think about it but continue to ride.

3 weeks ago I broke my ankle, everyone of my friends assumed I got in a bike accident, every call, every message was did you fall of your bike or did you get hit by a car.

I slipped on a escalator and twisted my foot 90 degrees. Accidents happen no matter what you do, you are not safe anywhere so I try not to think about it

Dave Ferris
01-02-2015, 06:41 PM
Even though I have the convenience of two of the Verdugo Mountain trail heads being 1 & 1.7 miles from my driveway, and before I plunked down a lot of $$$$ for my Potts 29er (my first custom bike btw) - I still thought about switching my build to one his road bikes. I had plenty of time to mull this over since I wasn't in his rotation for months. It didn't help matters that a friend bought a new Moots Compact and was telling me how great it was.:rolleyes:

So yes, seeing all the threads here definitely reinforces my thinking of - you made a wise choice opting for the Potts 29er over one of his road bikes.

An observation- it's always been dangerous out there. I knew many friends or heard about local riders that were inured or even killed...long before cell phones made their way into the mainstream. If those weren't bad enough.

But in recent years this *texting culture*, combined with this joined at the hip relationship people seem to have with their iPhone and smart-phones --man, all of that just add more distractions for many people that shouldn't be behind the wheel in the first place....and that's before any drinking or drugs enter the picture.

We don't have long stretches of gravel roads or flat to rolling dirt trails in LA proper, so a cross bike never was part of my thinking. If we had a rails to trails type of system here, without a doubt the crossbike/gravel grinder would have been the call in a NY minute.

I'm at 61 and even though I'm mainly a runner- I've been riding both road & mountain here in LA for a good 32 of my 36 years here. On the road my total mileage is minuscule compared to most here.

My approximate 65,000 running miles I've logged in 32 years far eclipses the distance I've ridden on the road...lol. Been fortunate enough to have never gone down from a car, but have had my share of close calls even for the mileage I've ridden..

Maybe if I lived out in Ventura or up in Pacific Grove where the intensity is down a notch or two, I'd get into it more the road thing. But living in LA for the time being, the mtn biking for me is an extension of what I love to do most - and that's run on the trails, away from the human congestion and cars !

Heck I can always lock out the Fox shock on the Potts 29er and ride the darn thing on the side streets or jump on up a sidewalk if need be..;)

makoti
01-02-2015, 07:02 PM
Sigh.
I've been hit three times. Twice bad. Once I don't remember at all. Every bike I own was paid for by settlements from getting hit. I think about it all the time. I have found myself wondering if this time I won't come back. It sacres me sometimes, but I push myself out the door & am always glad I did.
I have thought about moving into more mtb riding, but the simple truth is I do not love it like I love road riding. I almost always ride alone, because of my schedule, and frankly I worry more about hurting myself offroad & away from anyone to get me help than I do about getting hit again.
I tell myself that cars are getting better, since I get yelled at far less than I used to, but deep down I know that's a lie.
And where I used to be able to count on every person on a decent bike to do the sensible thing while riding, now lots of them are as big a danger as the cars are.
I know it's dangerous, but it shouldn't be & this is what I enjoy. I think I'd be far more miserable if I stopped riding, regardless of how much sense it may make.

MattTuck
01-02-2015, 07:11 PM
Of course I am affected by news of a cyclist being hit or killed. It is tragic, and I share some affiliation with the falling. I would think it is the same way a hunting community feels about losing a member to a hunting accident. If everyone follows the rules, it shouldn't happen, but it does. And it certainly makes me more in favor better enforcement and policies/advocacy to protect cyclists.

Now, whether my riding is affected, I don't know.

I recognize that there are some real risks with cycling, but also feel that there are real risks in leaving the house every day. Heck, you got hit in the car by another driver high on something... so there is certainly very real risk being on the road. On the other hand, I think that we can all fall victim to some of the cognitive biases -- believing that the stories on here represent an accurate portrayal of the risks of cycling. There is inherent bias because the worst rides (the accidents that get reported here) are much more likely to make the rounds in the cycling community than the 'hey, just did 60 miles, no car incidents' that are much more frequent than rides that end in lethal accidents.

I am lucky in that the riding around me is pretty good, and its pretty easy for me to avoid the handful of roads that I'd consider dangerous. But, I still ride with a helmet mirror, and pay attention to my surroundings a lot. With the exception of some heavily trafficked roads, I try to acknowledge each car that comes at me from behind... just turn around and give them a look. Nothing crazy, just an indication to them that I know they're there, and I'll usually move over as far to the right after as I safely can, so that they can pass safely... to me, that is a sign of mutual respect.

Lance demonstrating the technique. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=MdMdJAdzpYQ#t=17)

eddief
01-02-2015, 07:17 PM
both husband and wife are in the 60+ age range and both are hugely experienced riders; club, touring, loaded touring, and he many double centuries.

She has been in at least 3 bad crashes and to the best of my knowledge all 3 were ones where it was something in the road or some other weird thing that took her down, but never another cyclist or a car.

In the last couple of weeks she went down in some gravel while descending and was hurt quite badly, including some yet to be be determined brain injury stuff. Scares the crap out o me.

If I hung it up not sure what else I'd do and would have to enlarge all the doors in my house.

eddief
01-02-2015, 08:15 PM
He may ride again but says he won't strum.

http://pitchfork.com/news/57525-bonos-gruesome-bike-accident-injuries-detailed/

etu
01-02-2015, 08:43 PM
I usually brush off these bike deaths as bad luck, etc. but this year, one these tragedies really stuck with me - the former Amazon executive killed on Skyline in the SF Bay Area. The site of the accident is on a very popular route which I frequent at least a couple times a month. Every time I pass by it, I get a bit unnerved. I can tell it has also changed the behavior of other cyclists here because I see a LOT more blinking daytime headlights on bikes.

makoti
01-02-2015, 08:48 PM
both husband and wife are in the 60+ age range and both are hugely experienced riders; club, touring, loaded touring, and he many double centuries.

She has been in at least 3 bad crashes and to the best of my knowledge all 3 were ones where it was something in the road or some other weird thing that took her down, but never another cyclist or a car.

In the last couple of weeks she went down in some gravel while descending and was hurt quite badly, including some yet to be be determined brain injury stuff. Scares the crap out o me.

If I hung it up not sure what else I'd do and would have to enlarge all the doors in my house.

Good luck to the Missus. I had a pretty bad concussion. Messed me up, for a while. Came back, but it was slow & frustrating.

54ny77
01-02-2015, 08:59 PM
yes, immensely.

i know people who've been killed or seriously injured the past few years, as well as friends (and myself) coming routinely close to being roadkill due to drivers from hell.

have lost a lot of motivation to ride on road, frankly.

mind you, in my past life i've done crazy things with almost no fear on the bike/road, either riding for fun, training, racing, etc.

the best ride i've had in years was somewhat recently on my tarmac sl3, when a buddy and i decided to take a detour from our road route and hop on a firetrail just to check it out, which turned into a full ride offroad on firetrails and mtb trails. it was awesome, and we got a lot of oddball stares from people who were on mtb's (since we were bombing downhills and taking routes that only mtb's were on). our fancy schmancy road bikes (my specialized and his time carbon) performed wonderfully. now i'd like to expand more into riding cross and mtb's once the weather warms up some. less road riding, the better. well at least in so cal, where it's just plain f^&%$!# insane.

professerr
01-02-2015, 09:02 PM
I usually brush off these bike deaths as bad luck, etc. but this year, one these tragedies really stuck with me - the former Amazon executive killed on Skyline in the SF Bay Area. The site of the accident is on a very popular route which I frequent at least a couple times a month. Every time I pass by it, I get a bit unnerved. I can tell it has also changed the behavior of other cyclists here because I see a LOT more blinking daytime headlights on bikes.

I ride that route too all the time. Was there ever an investigation as to the details about what happened? I really wish that when there are tragedies such as this that a real, third party investigation is done, like they do in mountaineering accidents and airline crashes, so as to at least learn from the tragedy. I'd like to know, not for ghoulish or blaming reasons, whether the rider was wearing bright colors, or a blinky, or was the driver late for a delivery etc.

djg21
01-02-2015, 09:09 PM
I used to brush off the stories too, until an older gentleman (with a Disabled WWII Veteran Licence Plate) crossed a yellow line to take a left fork in the road and hit me head-on while I was cycling to work on August 1, 2006. I underwent multiple surgeries to repair broken facial bones, a destroyed shoulder, and screwed up knee, and lots of occupational therapy to help me deal with the head trauma and impairment of short-term memory.

I can't remember anything about the incident, and if I did, I probably would not ride at all. What I do recall is waking up a couple weeks later in an ICU. I still ride now, but am much more careful. I no longer will cycle to work and avoid riding trafficked roads during rush hour.

The bigger impact was on my wife, who spent some tough days when it didn't look good for me. She would not ride a bike tor a number of years. She's now going again and training for IronMan Lake Placid.

http://gallery.roadbikereview.com/data/roadbike/500/Accident_Scene.jpg

bigbill
01-02-2015, 09:22 PM
I've been clipped a few times in the past while commuting but nothing bad. I've lived in some really bad cycling areas like Norfolk, VA and Charleston, SC and actually enjoyed my riding. My closest calls while riding occurred in San Diego, a cycling mecca. I think it comes down to the attentiveness of drivers and the respect they have for cyclists.

Now I am retired from the military and have started a second career in Paris, TX. There are maybe two dozen cyclists in the whole county so it's not like drivers are used to seeing them. But, this is NE Texas. By that I mean people are courteous and respectful, especially towards people who are athletes, even MAMILs. The times that I have flatted on my rides, I have ended up waving off the people stopping to make sure I'm ok. If I stop at an intersection, someone will pull over to make sure I'm ok. State Troopers will check on me while I'm changing a tube. I like it. I also use a front white flasher and a rear red LED all the time I'm riding.

MadRocketSci
01-02-2015, 09:46 PM

I developed a hatred for Skyline. Too many crotch/rice rockets blasting by at ridiculous speeds. Almost had a twenty year old take me out head on (on 84 west of Skyline). The only stretch I ever rode regularly was from OLH to descend Woodside Rd (aka east 84). And during those times I'd be listening for the sounds of a ninja getting louder fast.

charliedid
01-02-2015, 09:57 PM
I've simply gotten more cautious on the bike and in traffic for sure,with age. The tragedies that happen in the world are reported in so many news outlets etc. that I am sort of numb to them.

I guess I don't see cycling tragedies as personally as some...just horrible circumstances that sometimes could have been avoided.

Edit: I'd like to add that I don't usually even read these sorts of news accounts (not just cycling either) generally it's just headlines that I read.

jghall
01-02-2015, 10:02 PM
Even though I am a firm believe in "what will be, is what will be", unfortunately yes I spend more time thinking/worrying about this stuff.

As much as I like the road, my miles are significantly down from past years. I spend as much time just putz'ing around. Shorter rides. More time riding the side streets, and even the sidewalks. Certainly take more precautions now too. Less traveled paths, more flashing tail lights, brighter colored clothes, etc.

Sucks doesn't it.

etu
01-03-2015, 12:42 AM
I ride that route too all the time. Was there ever an investigation as to the details about what happened? I really wish that when there are tragedies such as this that a real, third party investigation is done, like they do in mountaineering accidents and airline crashes, so as to at least learn from the tragedy. I'd like to know, not for ghoulish or blaming reasons, whether the rider was wearing bright colors, or a blinky, or was the driver late for a delivery etc.

not sure if there was a 3rd party investigation, but the accident took place right at the end of a wide, high speed turn heading west to east in the afternoon with lots of high contrast from dense shading from the trees. a van pulled out of a driveway at the bottom of the turn as the rider was heading down. i never take that turn the same way as i used to - slower, more in the middle of the lane.

"The only stretch I ever rode regularly was from OLH to descend Woodside Rd (aka east 84)."
The accident occurred on this exact stretch.

oldpotatoe
01-03-2015, 05:51 AM
I know guys who won't ride on a paved road, dirt roads only. I know guys who have hung their bikes up because of somebody getting hurt, killed, whether it involved a car or not BUT...pay your money, take your chances. I HAVE been hit from behind while riding. July 6th, 2002, 10:30 in the AM, driver fell asleep, up towards Eldorado Canyon(for those who know riding around the republic) but

But like anything with risk, you can 'what if' yourself right out of whatever you are doing. Gotta decide if the risk is worth the benefits, green stamp stack higher than the yellow stamp or red stamp stack. When flying in the USN we had a joke..get a great big opaque jar, fill with white jelly beans, put in one black jelly bean. Take one out each day..if you pull the black one out, go back to bed..worked(s) for me.

Around here I ride where there is a shoulder, if there isn't and during the week(more traffic), I don't ride there. Like west on Arapahoe during the week, from Erie back in..I use Baseline(again for the Boulder-ites) BUT I ride still, on the road, dirt if I just want to see where it goes but dumb-ass drivers aren't going to keep off the bike. My green stamp stack is pretty high.

YMMV

laupsi
01-03-2015, 07:41 AM
perhaps it's my age, perhaps it's recent events, (Thomas Palermo getting hit, me getting doored in Sept., another cyclist was hit yesterday in Harford Co. MD, that young lad is in critical condition, shock trauma, can't get any other details... :(), but have to admit, am thinking about my safety more than ever.

will I stop riding on the roads? no, I won't. like everyone on this forum I have a connection w/riding that for me was born out of riding on the "open road". same way I wouldn't give up mountain biking or trail riding.

yesterday I rode for 3.5 hours out of Balt city and beyond Worthington Valley; yes I mostly ride/train alone; saw a beautiful, young red fox. Thursday I witnessed a full on fox hunt in Greenspring Valley, they no longer "execute the fox BTW. In October I saw a bald eagle fishing in the Gunpowder river.

aside from the sights and sounds is the basic right we all have to ride on the roads. it may be foolish to continue to ride on roads w/cars, I hope to never find out, but I can't give up what is basically my right and the joy it brings me.
am hoping that by riding "smart" and respectfully some will take notice and things will get better.

Steve in SLO
01-03-2015, 09:16 AM
I likely manage risk better now than in the past with brighter clothes and a rear blinky.
The big change is that I no longer encourage my wife and kids to ride on the street, which is a great shame for everyone.

Seramount
01-03-2015, 10:09 AM
been riding the roads for 40+ years, have been hit twice...not a horrible record.

once by an elderly woman who knocked me into a parked police car (with officers inside) and then went on her way completely oblivious to what had happened. a trip to the ER ensued, but nothing more than bruises, rash, and a totaled bike.

second collision was a low-speed affair after a guy on a cell phone slow-rolled a stop sign and hit me broadside in the intersection. another trip to the ER, eventually had knee surgery. only had to replace the front wheel.

neither of these incidents affected my desire to ride or how I conduct myself on the bike.

like most, I have had dozens of brush-bys, right hooks, left hooks, etc etc...I get annoyed, angry, enraged depending on the how dangerous the situation was...

but, I never get off the bike and consider giving up being a roadie.

bluesea
01-03-2015, 10:54 AM
The misfortune of others in this case, comes as a wake up call for the potential loss of ability to fullfill one's responsibilities.

Cicli
01-03-2015, 10:57 AM
I am more scared of being taken out by a weaving triathlete in a tankini than a car.

That's just me though.

malcolm
01-03-2015, 11:42 AM
At one point I would have said no, you always think it'll be the other guy. As I've gotten older I've converted almost exclusively to mtn bikes. I've been on a road bike once in almost two years and that was a couple months ago with a roadie friend in town that wanted to do a few miles. It felt good to be on the skinny bike but it's still sitting where I left it in the garage.

I ride mostly during the week and alone and just seemed like I was having more close calls and more people being aggressive, intentionally brushing me back etc.. Maybe it's just age but I feel more of what I ride a bike for on the trails now. Nothing like a mid week ride in total silence, although I do like a partner or two on occasion.

Ti Designs
01-03-2015, 02:44 PM
My health and fitness is from riding, I look at people my age who aren't active as the alternative - no thanks.

mg2ride
01-03-2015, 06:17 PM
I voted that they don't affect me. This is a damn big world and horrible thinks are happening constantly. When reading about them I can't help but do the math and mentally move on.

Real life on the other hand is a whole different thing. A few years back I almost lost a very dear friend. She was riding in the very early morning and was hit and left for dead. She survived but spent this Christmas in the hospital dealing with remnants of it. She will never run again and I suspect it took years off her life.

This year my son's best friend was killed skating home from our house. Hit by a car while crossing a busy intersection.

When it hits home, the math doesn't matter.

Those 2 events have taken a lot of drive out of me regarding riding on the road. I still do it, but approach it differently than before.

fourflys
01-03-2015, 06:24 PM
I'm not riding hardly at all here in Alaska, but think about what I'll do when get back down south whenever I read about someone getting run down... especially as where I'm likely to go doesn't have bike lanes/etc... as I drive I see more and more people looking down to text while driving and it scares the hell outta me...

fourflys
01-03-2015, 06:29 PM
But like anything with risk, you can 'what if' yourself right out of whatever you are doing. Gotta decide if the risk is worth the benefits, green stamp stack higher than the yellow stamp or red stamp stack. When flying in the USN we had a joke..get a great big opaque jar, fill with white jelly beans, put in one black jelly bean. Take one out each day..if you pull the black one out, go back to bed..worked(s) for me.

YMMV

all about the green/amber/red I guess... what can you do to mitigate the risk and all that... pretty sure I'm headed to Norfolk this summer (will live in Chesapeake) and I fear riding a road bike there will be much different then San Diego...

thwart
01-03-2015, 06:41 PM
I likely manage risk better now than in the past with brighter clothes and a rear blinky.

I'm with Steve… no more black stuff. A lot of my rides are rural, so a bit safer that way. Thinking about a bar-mounted mirror (tried the glasses mounted kind a few yrs ago, just didn't work for me).

I look back over my shoulder a lot more than I used to…

… whether I'm on my bike or not. :D

Frankwurst
01-03-2015, 06:44 PM
I look at it like this...When i get on a bike, I bought the ticket and I'm gonna take the ride. I don't worry, care or give a s%it about anything. I've been hit, crashed plenty, broke bones, teeth and relationships but riding a bicycle keeps me as close to sanity as my twisted mind gets so no I don't dwell on what could happen. If I did I wouldn't buy the ticket.:beer:

smead
01-03-2015, 08:07 PM
I tend to do my own thing, seems like everyone has a story of a close family member or friend who experienced this or that tragedy and if it were not for them donning such and such safety gear, they'd be dead ..... on and on and on ....

The exception for me was this one -

http://www.bicycling.com/sites/default/files/uploads/BROKEN.pdf

I read this years ago when I first starting logging serious road training miles and it completely converted me in to a mirror wearing fred zealot. The grieving father's words near the end did it for me -

“The only thing that might have helped him is if he’d had a mirror. But even then, he would have had only a second or two to react.”

Fact is, that was a relatively straight stretch of road where his son was mowed down ..., he woulda have plenty of time if he'd of seen the car veering over the line ..., 20 year olds can move their bikes a good distance in the timespan of 1-2 secs. Made me a fred convert for life.

jmeloy
01-03-2015, 08:26 PM
Yeah, it gets to me. Turned 60 a few months ago and that may be part of it as I know I don't heal as easy in the past. For Xmas I asked for and got a Dinotte Quad Red rear light and a Cygolite for the front. Using the rear light on every ride and starting to use the front. Also added Sprintertech bar end mirrors to each bike. I watch what is coming and look for an out if needed on sketchy roads. The early indication with the Dinotte is that cars are seeing me much earlier and giving me more room.

oldpotatoe
01-04-2015, 05:16 AM
all about the green/amber/red I guess... what can you do to mitigate the risk and all that... pretty sure I'm headed to Norfolk this summer (will live in Chesapeake) and I fear riding a road bike there will be much different then San Diego...

I started really riding in Va. Beach in 1985, when I got my first real bike(Ciocc) and stopped running. Great riding when I was there. I really liked that area. For a nice night out, went into the Ghent section of Norfolk..long time ago but...

HenryA
01-04-2015, 11:50 AM
Very little change for me, but I currently live and ride in a fairly rural area where I can pick safe routes. If I had to ride where some of this forum's members ride I would probably alter my habits more. There are plenty of places I rode 25 years ago that I would no longer consider simply because of the march of population and traffic.

Once I get past a riding area's overall visibility and traffic density I am pretty much good to go riding there. i.e. - if drivers can see easily me and there is not much of a crowd of cars so there is room for everyone I'm riding without worrying. I wear bright colors. I pay attention. And that's about it. Perhaps too simplistic but so far so good.

fourflys
01-04-2015, 03:30 PM
For a nice night out, went into the Ghent section of Norfolk..long time ago but...

agree... if we go there, this will be out third tour in the area... One in Portsmouth (U/W) and one in Yorktown at the clinic... Ghent was always a favorite of ours, especially the first tour when the wife was going to Old Dominion...

charliedid
01-04-2015, 07:53 PM
I'm not riding hardly at all here in Alaska, but think about what I'll do when get back down south whenever I read about someone getting run down... especially as where I'm likely to go doesn't have bike lanes/etc... as I drive I see more and more people looking down to text while driving and it scares the hell outta me...

Just curious, what's keeping you from riding? I spent about a month riding there almost 20 years ago. We were nervous about bear at first but the locals set us at ease and suggested we ride with pistols ;-)

Beautiful place.

moose8
01-04-2015, 08:34 PM
I think about it all the time but I don't plan on giving up riding. I got a dinotte quad for Christmas because I figured if it even helps marginally it's worth it. I've been in one extremely bad bike accident where I destroyed my face and knocked out 8 teeth and half my jaw and had to endure years of reconstructive surgery but no car was involved - just a horrible bike rented in Spain. That kept me off awhile but in the end all the pain fades and you want that feeling just about everyone here knows and loves. I broke my femur skiing and couldn't wait to get back. Tore my acl skiing and it was the same thing.

When you hear about recent accidents though it really does scare me when I know it's people who in all likelihood are way better riders and equally if not more cautious. There's just no easy answers other than its just another risk reward calculus we all do. In retrospect nothing recreational is worth dieing for, and it's impossible to control for all the idiots who drive on the same roads we do, but it's also impossible to sit at home and not do what we love.

fourflys
01-04-2015, 08:54 PM
Just curious, what's keeping you from riding? I spent about a month riding there almost 20 years ago. We were nervous about bear at first but the locals set us at ease and suggested we ride with pistols ;-)

Beautiful place.

All the MTB seems to be extreme up and down... and there are only a couple roads to ride and one scares me a bit... plus I go to work in the dark and come home in the dark... even with good lights, I don't trust the drivers here (Kodiak is a drinking town with a fishing problem)... plus, 38* rain and 30 mph (and that's not the worst) wind sucks something awful!

I'd be riding a lot more if I were in Anchorage or Juneau...

JAGI410
01-04-2015, 09:21 PM
Locally, there were 3 deaths this year along "my type" of roads, all killed by texting drivers. It's absolutely affected my riding. I'll do more gravel and more MTB instead.

charliedid
01-04-2015, 10:19 PM
All the MTB seems to be extreme up and down... and there are only a couple roads to ride and one scares me a bit... plus I go to work in the dark and come home in the dark... even with good lights, I don't trust the drivers here (Kodiak is a drinking town with a fishing problem)... plus, 38* rain and 30 mph (and that's not the worst) wind sucks something awful!

I'd be riding a lot more if I were in Anchorage or Juneau...

Yeah that makes perfect sense...

purplecu22
01-05-2015, 01:52 AM
When these accidents happen. I never see a mention of how the cyclist are dressed or if they used some kind of active blink light? I ride motorcycles also. Lights make such a huge difference. You can buy kits to make a MC rear tail light blink. We cyclist has a large selection to choice from.

At one time i really started paying attention to how in front a cyclist was to me. Cyclist who wear "The Cool Jerseys" were very difficult to see past about 200 feet. They just blended in with the street. My wife has a hot pink jersey, very easy to see her!!!!~

I never used to use lights, now i run 2 that blink. Plus a little trick i learn from MC's. Is just turning you head,keep eyes forwards, Driver tend to back off and get scared of you. I live in a state with only rear plates. This really sucks for us. You cant identify a car!!! When they are coming at you. Got hit with a large full cup of Ice and water. Right crossed the chest. Really pissed i couldn't see his plates.

Ive been riding for almost 30 years. Ive been hit three times. Still love to ride but now, scope out all roads, check amount of traffic and does it have a shoulder. I have tried to make the safest routes for myself.

Happy and Safe New Year to all.

William
01-05-2015, 08:19 AM
I will admit it has effected my riding on the road a bit. In my daily travels driving or riding I see so many more people preoccupied with the cell phones yapping away or texting and not paying attention to the road that it is a bit scary when you think about it. Then when an incident comes that hits home, you tend to remember that stuff even more. I ride mostly rural roads so I don’t interact with a lot of traffic, but even then you still encounter idiots every so often. I enjoy mixing dirt and gravel roads into my rides for the solitude and adventure, but at some level it’s just nice not spending as much time on the pavement with cars. That’s about as much as it changes my habits right now.

As far as the kit? Louder is better in my book. Loud orange is even better!

As an aside, I think long straight roads tend to be more dangerous than curvy roads. Sounds counterintuitive, but thats when a driver feels like it’s “safe” to text, check their phone, put make-up on, fiddle with the stereo, etc….

William

Kevan
01-05-2015, 08:59 AM
I now live and ride in a region of mostly quiet roads, and where us roadies are mostly tolerated and surprisingly respected. I don't ride like I used to (Who does?), and for the past couple years my bikes have been doing more hanging than rolling. But that's all changing.

The construction work I did this summer restoring a our property's shed and corn crib studio apartment has left me with a wicked case of double tennis elbow, though I think a couple winter months of rest, I'll be good to go come spring.

Also, last night, I went to see "Breaking Away" on the big screen, and there's nothing like getting caught up in the story and wanting to get the ass back in the saddle again.

malcolm
01-05-2015, 09:08 AM
I agree with the sentiment that you take your chances and mitigate the risks you can. Life is inherently dangerous and if you over analyze everything you probable will wind up doing nothing. In the grand scheme of things cycling is probably safer than many other activities. I would imagine if you look at the number of participants and miles logged it's probably fairly safe.

What made me switch to mostly mtn biking is hard to put into words, but really isn't fear of injury. I suspect I'm more likely to be hurt on the mtn bike, maybe not killed but injured. I ride to clear my mind and get the inner peace that comes from exertion and sweat and just being out there. It seems in more abundance on the mtn bike for me at least these days. I don't have angry drivers brushing me back, no honking horns or yelled obscenities. As an example, yesterday at a red light the vehicle in front of me was a bike, he was first with an SUV behind me and then another car. Two cars in the other lane. The cyclist was in the right vehicle wheel track at the light. It was a fairly steep grade and when the light changed he took off and moved to the far side of the lane, on the line. I went slow with a good cushion and waited for the cars to the left to pass him then I moved over gave a wide berth and went by, the SUV passed him while maintaining his position in the lane even though the left lane was empty, the car behind moved way over and gave plenty space. Then to make it even better the SUV turned into a drive about 150 ft in front of the guy. That's why I've switched, there was no huge danger even though he was passed with on inches of room, he was a good cyclist and held is line, even if hit it was low speed and would have been mostly just an abrasion festival, the guy was still a dick and I guess I'd just rather not spend my time fending off dicks.

I think it cost me less than 10 sec of my day to provide a safe berth, but some folks just can't do that.