PDA

View Full Version : will I regret this? (Look 585 question)

thegunner
01-02-2015, 09:39 AM
i have this bad habit of going through bikes quickly (except the moots, that one's hanging around).

anyway, i've been thinking of ditching the 585 for something more... modern. more aero. more lightweight.

something like a scott foil or a cervelo s3 for next year's race season (or even a newer steel bike)

level with me here, are the gains in efficiency or aerodynamics enough to overcome owning the legacy of a 585?

oldpotatoe
01-02-2015, 09:40 AM
i have this bad habit of going through bikes quickly (except the moots, that one's hanging around).

anyway, i've been thinking of ditching the 585 for something more... modern. more aero. more lightweight.

something like a scott foil or a cervelo s3 for next year's race season (or even a newer steel bike)

level with me here, are the gains in efficiency or aerodynamics enough to overcome owning the legacy of a 585?

no

feta99
01-02-2015, 09:49 AM
no
Unless it is a medium in a color i want, then YES! ;-)

thegunner
01-02-2015, 09:53 AM
it's a small in black white and red

weisan
01-02-2015, 10:01 AM
(Low, husky voice) "Sure, gunny-boy, go right ahead...we have a way of dealing with people who leave the family."

binxnyrwarrsoul
01-02-2015, 10:12 AM
Size and color, please.

rwerkudara
01-02-2015, 10:17 AM
Don't, you'll regret it!

jmikeq
01-02-2015, 10:30 AM
Nooooo

Likes2ridefar
01-02-2015, 10:32 AM
it's a small in black white and red

yeah i think you should get something else:)

Likes2ridefar
01-02-2015, 10:34 AM
i highly recommend the Parlee ESX I have. it's aero AND nice riding.

bcroslin
01-02-2015, 11:04 AM
as someone who rode a Giant Propel for 6 months and is now back on a CAAD10 I'm going to emphatically say no. I only felt a slight difference when riding in the group and pulling through the pace line when I was on the propel. what I didn't like was the harsh ride and weight of the aero frame. IMO a good set of deep carbon wheels will make a bigger difference that you can actually feel than the frame ever will. if your Look is comfortable and still snappy I'd stay put.

kramnnim
01-02-2015, 11:04 AM
Steel bike won't be lighter or more aero...

kramnnim
01-02-2015, 11:08 AM
Unless it is a medium in a color i want, then YES! ;-)

My Medium frame is still available, and can be painted... :hello:

I don't miss riding it, but I always preferred my 586...which has been attached to a trainer for months. Z5 doesn't eat up road chatter like either Look, but makes them feel sluggish, not sure why.

Elefantino
01-02-2015, 11:13 AM

Lightweight? My XXL 585 weighs in at 15.6 lbs. w/Centaur. Yours, properly shod, could be feather light and easily downright UCI illegal.

But if it no longer speaks to you, then sounds like the decision is made.

christian
01-02-2015, 11:41 AM
You're getting a Colnago C60? OMG! Sweet, you'll like that a lot. Oh, no? Keep the 585, then. :)

thegunner
01-02-2015, 11:47 AM
Don't, you'll regret it!

Nooooo

haha, it's a temptation, i didn't decide yet!

texbike
01-02-2015, 11:48 AM

Scott Foil, Cervelo S3, etc. = Flash in the pan, forgotten after a couple of years.

Look 585 = Reference frameset, Legendary.

Your choice....

thegunner
01-02-2015, 11:50 AM
Lightweight? My XXL 585 weighs in at 15.6 lbs. w/Centaur. Yours, properly shod, could be feather light and easily downright UCI illegal.

But if it no longer speaks to you, then sounds like the decision is made.

is it actually? it's currently a mishmash of SRAM 10s (although i can't imagine that weight more than centaur and a pair of pacenti sl23's. the wheels aren't light, but they're hardly heavy at 1430...

mine weighed in around 16.4

maybe it's the other junk hanging on it haha

Likes2ridefar
01-02-2015, 12:02 PM
is it actually? it's currently a mishmash of SRAM 10s (although i can't imagine that weight more than centaur and a pair of pacenti sl23's. the wheels aren't light, but they're hardly heavy at 1430...

ditching the SRAM will make you faster than a new frameset ever will!

i've raced on aero frames and not aero frames and i dont think they ever made me win or lose. Until the ESX I thought aero frames rode pretty crappy, and were usually a PITA to run cables due to being hidden. The esx solved the ride part but the cables are still a hassle to feed through the frame. looks nice once done though!

as you know i just want your look frame:) think how easy it would be to sell a few stories down in the same building?

ojingoh
01-02-2015, 12:07 PM
Moar ayer-roe (http://cyclingtips.com.au/2010/04/biggest-bang-for-your-buck-in-time-trial-equipment/)

thegunner
01-02-2015, 12:14 PM
ditching the SRAM will make you faster than a new frameset ever will!

i've raced on aero frames and not aero frames and i dont think they ever made me win or lose. Until the ESX I thought aero frames rode pretty crappy, and were usually a PITA to run cables due to being hidden. The esx solved the ride part but the cables are still a hassle to feed through the frame. looks nice once done though!

as you know i just want your look frame:) think how easy it would be to sell a few stories down in the same building?

ugh, don't do this to me haha.

the parlee's in a completely different price bracket than what i'd replace it with in any case.

buldogge
01-02-2015, 12:25 PM
What size are you dealing with?

Treat it to Chorus/Record/SR11 and some nice CF hoops.

My XL with Chorus 11/CF post and bars/Enve 1.38s is 14.75# (with saddle/pedals/cages).

I think, unless you are getting custom carbon...or maybe trying a C60...you will miss the 585 after the new/fresh thing wears off.

Hmm...I think I will ride the 585 to work today...

-Mark in St. Louis

kramnnim
01-02-2015, 12:27 PM
585 frame/fork could be lighter than a Foil frame/fork... (around 1300g)

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=120629

henrypretz
01-02-2015, 12:32 PM
I think going through bikes quickly is a habit, but not necessarily a bad one. If that's your style then that's your style, right?
..... and it benefits others, like myself, who ride smaller frames :banana:
Henry
(who steps into the line of folks daydreaming about the prospect of a small 585 on the market .....)

Elefantino
01-02-2015, 01:29 PM

More carbon bits!

feta99
01-02-2015, 01:55 PM
My Medium frame is still available, and can be painted... :hello:

I don't miss riding it, but I always preferred my 586...which has been attached to a trainer for months. Z5 doesn't eat up road chatter like either Look, but makes them feel sluggish, not sure why.

Ok, good to know. I get the urge every so often. I was going to build it up as the crit and race bike. But have also been tempted by a VXRS lately too for the same purpose. Anyone care to compare a 585 vs VXRS?

ultraman6970
01-02-2015, 02:23 PM
Based in that drag test looks like you can do better just using an aero helmet.

thegunner
01-02-2015, 02:46 PM
Based in that drag test looks like you can do better just using an aero helmet.

You can't race mass starts in aero helmets (unless you mean a synthe - which is already on the list ;))

Hawker
01-02-2015, 05:14 PM
I've only owned about five bikes in my 35 plus years of riding, but my 585 is the best and will never go. It has my heart.

sjbraun
01-02-2015, 06:33 PM
My XL 585 weighs 15.5 with a mix of Chorus and Centaur, 10 speed stuff.
The only pseudo lightweight bits are the Thomson Masterpiece seatpost and Dura-Ace carbon pedals, other cockpit parts are Al.
I'm sure with enough cash and carbon you could get a 585 under 14 pounds.

Can't say I know of anyone who doesn't like a 585. Maybe you should keep the Look, buy a modern wonderbike and see what you think.

weisan
01-02-2015, 07:43 PM
Are y'all telling me that my digital scale is givin' me false readings?...I get 18.5 pounds no matter what I try. You sure you not cheating?

mtb_frk
01-02-2015, 07:48 PM
Every time I get close to putting my 595 back up for sale a thread like this comes along, and I end up holding on to it. I only rode it twice last year, but I feel like if I let it go I will never get another opportunity to own such an amazing bike. The reason that I say that is that my wife wouldn't let me spend the money on another road bike when I ride this one so little.
:bike:

Keith A
01-02-2015, 09:07 PM
Ok, good to know. I get the urge every so often. I was going to build it up as the crit and race bike. But have also been tempted by a VXRS lately too for the same purpose. Anyone care to compare a 585 vs VXRS?I have both a Look 585 and a Time VXR as well as a Colnago C-50 and have written my opinions about these bikes a few times on the forum and here's a link to a couple of them...
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?p=1338400#post1338400
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?p=1317016#post1317016

PaMtbRider
01-03-2015, 08:51 AM
Are y'all telling me that my digital scale is givin' me false readings?...I get 18.5 pounds no matter what I try. You sure you not cheating?
I often wonder the same thing. I had an XXL 585 built with record 10 and Ksyrium ES wheels that weighed 17 lbs with pedals on my digital scale.

thegunner
01-03-2015, 09:09 AM
actually i got curious and reweighed the 585 this morning, 15.4 lbs

i guess it's a lot lighter than i thought. with a pair of tubulars, a lighter stem and bars, it'd probably be touching low 14's if not high 13's...

djg
01-03-2015, 09:31 AM

No.

The 585 is a great bike. I'm not saying that there's nothing out there that could possibly suit you better -- all sorts of stuff might appeal for this or that reason -- but the aero business on a road bike? Meh. And feh. Wanna blow money on aero? Get some stylin' wheels. Or shoe covers. Or a new helmet. Or a TT bike to ride in actual time trials.

thegunner
01-03-2015, 11:28 AM
yeah looks like i'll hold onto the 585, probably get it resprayed with a new paint job in the spring or something :)

feta99
01-03-2015, 12:33 PM
I have both a Look 585 and a Time VXR as well as a Colnago C-50 and have written my opinions about these bikes a few times on the forum and here's a link to a couple of them...
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?p=1338400#post1338400
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?p=1317016#post1317016

Thanks for the links. Makes me want one of each!

potatochip
01-08-2015, 02:15 PM

No

tv_vt
01-08-2015, 02:28 PM
yeah looks like i'll hold onto the 585, probably get it resprayed with a new paint job in the spring or something :)

Anybody out there who's repainted a 585? I'm curious how tricky it is to strip paint off carbon and redo. My frame's paint job is in really good condition, but it has crossed my mind to repaint. How much and which paint shop?

thegunner
01-08-2015, 02:34 PM
there's a few that are local in NYC - but i can't imagine it being much different from any other carbon frame...

i was thinking of just going with the plain carbon weave all around with white outlined decals or something clean.