PDA

View Full Version : Around Chicago Mailorder

oldpotatoe
01-02-2015, 05:54 AM
Just bought these..$40 cheaper than EP at Campagnolo, NA. Even kept the 'OEM ONLY' sticker on them. Not sure what the 'SOLO" means.

There is a large concentration of MO outfits around Chicago, and into Southern WI.. I counted 4 plus a HUGE distributor..all w/i driving distance of one another. Is there something about that region that makes bike stuff MO attractive? Appleton, WI, Springfield, IL, Chicago, Wheeling, IL.

Just wondering.

sokyroadie
01-02-2015, 05:59 AM
OP,

You have gone to the DARK SIDE ;)

Jeff

christian
01-02-2015, 06:22 AM
"SOLO" means "only" in Italian. Thus with maximum of economy, they can say OEM only in two languages in only three words. Well... two words and a shortening.

Mikej
01-02-2015, 07:31 AM
Yeah, trek, sram, qbp are all real close and probably have some pretty good buy the lot deals that get passed to dealers / distributers. Example-I ordered some DA 9000 pedals from my buds shop, he said trek will have them here tomorrow. Go figure. Its also a very central US location, easy for shipping?

bargainguy
01-02-2015, 07:44 AM
Chicago is the main freight rail hub in North America. As above, easy shipping.

juanhenry
01-02-2015, 08:01 AM
Some companies have a system set up. This system allows distributors, shops to log on and fulfill orders for the manufacturer.

teleguy57
01-02-2015, 09:04 AM
Happen to be in Appleton and the MO shop there is the online arm of my go-to LBS, which is part of a chain of the Wheel & Sprocket bricks & mortar shops in WI (and now in Evanston IL as well). They are one of the largest Trek dealers in the country. I don't know the history of them going online, but the management team has a huge commitment to supporting local cycling and is committed big time to advocacy through the WI Bike Federation and national efforts as well.

I'm lucky as the MO operation is housed in the basement of my local shop, and I can pick up stuff directly. It's an amazing operation and includes a number of in-house brands -- a fixie line, a 650B line, and a just recently introduced fat bike line. All good value designed by folks who "get it" on what bikes should do.

I think it's a very interesting, viable, and perhaps necessary business model to wed bricks-and-mortar sales, service, fitting, ride studio, group rides, team sponsorship etc with meeting the market where it is. Kudos to them for doing it well.

Full disclosure: After my retirement I worked for W&S assembling bikes for them for a couple of seasons, but now am just one of the "like-to-hang with cool folks" guys.

oldpotatoe
01-02-2015, 09:11 AM
Happen to be in Appleton and the MO shop there is the online arm of my go-to LBS, which is part of a chain of the Wheel & Sprocket bricks & mortar shops in WI (and now in Evanston IL as well). They are one of the largest Trek dealers in the country. I don't know the history of them going online, but the management team has a huge commitment to supporting local cycling and is committed big time to advocacy through the WI Bike Federation and national efforts as well.

I'm lucky as the MO operation is housed in the basement of my local shop, and I can pick up stuff directly. It's an amazing operation and includes a number of in-house brands -- a fixie line, a 650B line, and a just recently introduced fat bike line. All good value designed by folks who "get it" on what bikes should do.

I think it's a very interesting, viable, and perhaps necessary business model to wed bricks-and-mortar sales, service, fitting, ride studio, group rides, team sponsorship etc with meeting the market where they are. Kudos to them for doing it well.

I guess, since they source frames, can get the OE stuff..and then resell it w/o a bike attached.