PDA

View Full Version : Assos winter booties?

Johny
12-16-2003, 10:25 PM
Anyone has used "Assos Prosline Neoprene Booties" and "Assos Airblock Thermax Booties": which one is warmer? I have used Giordana neoprene booties for years. They are wore out a bit; therefore a replacement. When it is really cold, I also wear extra Giordana windstopper booties inside the neoprene booties; however, I still feel cold feet sometimes. Wanna give Assos a try.

Also, are Assos Airblock Socks worth the money? Or there are any better socks?

Dave (dnono), any suggestions?:)

Thanks in advance.

dnovo
12-16-2003, 10:35 PM
I used the Airblock, booties and socks, but found that they were a problem (like many other tight-fitting booties) getting the booties over my winter road cycling shoes (last your Northwave this year Sidi Freeze, which I now like better) so I got the new PIs which zip up the back when you put them on. Can't recall the name, but it is whatever their top of the line is, with the zipper in the rear. And, as I said before, any Assos questions I would call the buyer, Sarah, at cbike in Chicago. She is real sharp on Assos issues. Dave N.

dbrk
12-16-2003, 11:37 PM
Booty-wise I think Assos is overkill. My experience has been that the waaaaay cheaper Performance booties are just as warm. It's not like these are a jacket or some really specialized piece. I'd save my money and buy the Performance or Pearl Izumi.

dbrk

Kevin
12-17-2003, 05:41 AM
Johny,

I have never used the Assos booties, but I have been very happy, and warm, with the Castelli booties. I think they are cheaper than the Assos booties. No reason to spend more money.

Kevin

dnovo
12-17-2003, 06:08 AM
In the bootie department, I don't think that Assos holds the edge it has in other areas. Again, the problem with many of these booties is getting them over your shoes -- and eventually it rips them up. The PI, which is very warm as well, solves that with the zipper in the rear. No more 'tugging' and swearing to put them on.

However, the "Assos is overkill' line doesn't cut it when it gets REAL cold and when the SouthEast Wisconsin Chapter of Mid West Biking Morons goes riding on a toasty 7 degree day with major wind chill issues. There is no such thing as "overkill" on a day like that. Dave N.

dcotcamp
12-17-2003, 06:22 AM
I've pretty much given up on booties that zip up in back, because the zippers always seem to go bad or rip out. Instead, I've had more luck with those that have velcro in back to close them up. I also usually use a bootie made of lighter, windproof material, rather than neoprene. With neoprene, I had a lot of problems with my feet sweating early in the ride and freezing later. Last year, in the same sort of weather dnovo describes, I used a pair made by Sidi over my winter cycling shoes.

Dennis

Len J
12-17-2003, 07:16 AM
I have used the PI Am Fib the Castelli with the WinBloc and while I like the Castelle, the warmest I have found are the AmFib.

I find that as long as there is a windblocker in the Bootiew, they work pretty well.

Buy them larger than you think & they are easier to put on. Who cares about aero in the winter. Winter riding is about warm & getting out.

Len

saab2000
12-17-2003, 08:05 AM
I have used Assos in the past and have generally been happy with their stuff. But I would agree with the comment that using a thinner windblocker material is at least as effective as using the neoprene booties. The problem, as stated above, with neoprene is that it does not breathe well. Your feet will get wet.

I have a lot of experience riding in cool temps (20F-40F) with thin booties and find that the really thick heavy ones are not really better than the thinner ones. The key I have found to keeping the feet warm is the keep the rest of you warm - head (very important), torso, legs and hands. If the rest of you is warm and dry, the feet will not get cold as quickly - at least that is how my body works.

I really dislike the heavy neoprene booties because they feel like 5 lb weights on my feet.

Johny
12-17-2003, 09:25 AM
I have enough clothing for my hands, body and head in the winter (well, that is another collection of mine :)). The problem is that maybe the blood circulation to my feet is poor. I just do not feel that comfortable when it is really cold (there are not many really cold days here though).

I wanna try Assos this time because of their great reputation in cycling clothing (also I know where to get them cheap;)).

Since dbrk does not like banana, let's try this
:beer: :beer: :beer:

Kevan
12-17-2003, 12:35 PM
but I'd agree with dbrk. Booties have a hard time withstanding heel and toe skuffing; the zippers start to rust and corrode.

I have a pair of Trek booties, Lord knows who makes them for them, but they were cheap and have outlasted my prior 2 pairs. They are made of neoprene with a substantial sole and front zipper.

For super cold feet you might want to consider something like these:

http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&catalogId=40000008000&storeId=8000&partNumber=703793&memberId=-2000&link=1&prgm=SEO&lnk=TRLEAD

Let us know how the Assos workout

Johny
12-17-2003, 01:20 PM
Kevan and dbrk,

I think you guys might be right on this one. After all, they are all made of neoprene. However, I do agree with Dave. "There is no such thing as "overkill" on a day like that". See, my theory is that if I got more excited with wearing Assos stuff, the blood circulation to my feet may be better... :D

Concerning the Footwarmer http://www.rei.com/online/store/Pro...&lnk=TRLEAD,
Now I really need a pair of strong wheels with all the heavy stuff I am gonna put on...
Sandy, :help: since you are getting $3000 from Kevin, mind buying me a wheelset? :p

larryp2
12-17-2003, 11:09 PM
the chemical warmers also work very well for about $1.50 each

warmhandsnow.com is one good source

Bradford
12-18-2003, 01:04 PM
I used my new Performance neoprene booties this morning (32 F and windy) and they were very warm. I'm on the side that says don't spend money on the Gucci booties, go with the house brand.

One disclaimer, my feet don't usually sweat.

If you want to keep you feet warm, wear a hat. I read an article in Ski Magazine a couple of years ago that said there is nothing more important than keeping your head warm when your feet are concerned. After a couple of years of experimentation, I agree.

This year, I finally wised up and starting wearing a hat. Nothing fancy, just an EMS liner. I just took some of the padding out of an old helmet so it fits. I can't believe I didn't do this earlier, it makes a huge difference. My head feels better and my feet are warmer. Get a hat, your feet will thank you.

flydhest
12-18-2003, 10:25 PM
I have to point out the true, but generally unhelpful, comment that people are different. My hands get painfully cold very easily. Today, I rode to work in 38 degree weather in wool socks, no booties, knickers, capilene undershirt, windproof (front) jersey, skull cap, and really freakin' thick a$$ lobster gloves, and my fingers were still unhappy the whole way.

My feet were pretty happy. My shins, knees, and googlies were fine, but mine hands were in open revolt.

I think that when it gets real cold and I still ride (in the 20s or lower) then I need booties, full on neoprene-don't-let-anything-in-don't-let-anything-out-booties but worn with socks and sock liners that wick. My hands . . . well, basically, glove liners and lobster gloves and suffer until I've put in some efforts where the heart is really pumping and the heat is being generated.

No one cares about my experience. Sorry.:argue:

larryp2
12-18-2003, 10:38 PM
I got some awesome lobsters from "vulpine adaptive" off the icebike.com website. last Sunday it was about 18 degrees when I started with Assos with liner. thought my hands were going to fall off. stopped and put on the Vulpines and within 10 minutes I was toasty and lasted two hours until the blizzard hit. they're made by a guy in Minnesota who works out of his house. my credit card bounced, he sent them anyway and said "I've had pretty good luck trusting people".

Kevin
12-19-2003, 05:32 AM
larryp2,

If you are crazy enough to ride in 18 degree weather, why did you stop when the blizard started? Personally, I am a wimp and hit the trainer when the temps fall below 35 degrees. You have my admiration.

Kevin

larryp2
12-19-2003, 06:53 AM
I got a flat.

Too Tall
12-19-2003, 07:10 AM
Branford sells Kucharik Neoprene Shoe Covers. The zippers are top notch and the neoprene soft and flexible. Best I've ever used. A pre-emptive duct tape patch on the heels is not a bad idea. They all take a beating there. We use the stick on chemical toe warmers. Mine go on the sock over the toes. Whoah, TGIF still? Oh dear. Not sure.