PDA

View Full Version : Stack height on threaded headsets - how close?

mccx
12-31-2014, 01:00 AM
I'm putting a new threaded headset on my bike and wanted to know how closely I need to match the stack height of the new headset to the old.

It's currently a Tange Levin CDS (33.3mm) that's pitted and rusting, and there's a 1mm spacer I can leave out. I'd like to replace it with Record headset (36.5mm), so, can I fit a headset that has 2.2mm too much height for my steerer, or is that too much?

If it's too much, can I get some suggestions for nice looking silver threaded with a stack height of less than 34.3mm?

abalone
12-31-2014, 01:52 AM
For an external cup headset, the manufacturer's listed stack height is the height of the whole headset (lower cup, upper cup, threaded fittings, etc).

What you want to do is make sure the stack height of the lower cup is the same or similar to the stack height of you old lower cup. This way the front end doesn't change height too much and you preserve the geometry (head tube angle, seat tube angle, etc) of your bike. In my experience, some manufacturer's lower cups can vary by a up to about 5mm of so, which in the grand scheme of things doesn't really alter your frame geometry too much.

oldpotatoe
12-31-2014, 05:55 AM
I'm putting a new threaded headset on my bike and wanted to know how closely I need to match the stack height of the new headset to the old.

It's currently a Tange Levin CDS (33.3mm) that's pitted and rusting, and there's a 1mm spacer I can leave out. I'd like to replace it with Record headset (36.5mm), so, can I fit a headset that has 2.2mm too much height for my steerer, or is that too much?

If it's too much, can I get some suggestions for nice looking silver threaded with a stack height of less than 34.3mm?

Do you have enough threads on your fork steerer to thread on the top headset nut? With a 33.3mm stack, and 1mm spacer, I'm thinking not, not enough threads left on the fork.

Older DA/shimano cup and ball and Chris King makes(made?) a low stack threaded headset in 1 inch.

moobikes
12-31-2014, 10:34 AM
I, too, do not think there is quite enough thread left on the steerer. Even if you can fit it all together, with too little engagement the locknut will keep coming loose.

Those Tange headsets are good quality. Why not replace with same?

8aaron8
12-31-2014, 10:36 AM
You can pick up another tange headset for cheap, they are very reliable especially at the price point, here's a link to one with 30mm stack height

http://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/product_details.php?id=48119