PDA

View Full Version : pogies or thick gloves??

crownjewelwl
12-30-2014, 07:18 PM
What is the consensus for cold riding?

I tried nitrile gloves under my winter gloves in 25* this am and my fingers were freezing

Thinking of the new sturmfist 5 gloves or the revelate provides

Thanks!

c77barlage
12-30-2014, 07:27 PM
I use Toko windstopper softshell XC ski gloves. They do a good job for me in cold weather.

rwsaunders
12-30-2014, 07:35 PM
Snowboarding gloves for me at that temp.

christian
12-30-2014, 07:54 PM
If you want the ultimate in warmth, pogies are way way way way way way way way way way way way better.

That said, around here, I can ride 90% of the time in Kinco Ski gloves and 5% of the time in my Swedish army shell mittens. But I usually put on the pogies at around 20. Then you can use regular MTB gloves... and overheat!

Pogies are like magic. For serious. I got some cheapie ATV ones from Amazon to try it out and have stuck with those, but do some research and let me know which ones are actually good, please.

JAGI410
12-30-2014, 08:13 PM
I'm no stranger to riding in -20F, and pogies are worth every penny at that temp. I use Moose Mitts, with a lighter glove underneath. Or sometimes no gloves in the 15-30F range.

Today was -7F, and I rode in a merino wool liner under a gore tex Giordana mitten. Fingers were just fine for my short ride, but I prefer the comfort and assurance of the pogies.

http://www.trails-edge.com/product/trails-edge-moose-mitts-flat-bar-676.htm

christian
12-30-2014, 08:33 PM
I just looked at bike-specific pogies. F*ck me, for that price, you can buy a used Singer 401 and a bunch of material and DIY pogies for the whole neighborhood fat bike crew.

christian
12-30-2014, 08:36 PM
Just buy these; they will work fine:

http://www.amazon.com/ScootR-Logic-SLHM-1-Hand-Mitts/dp/B0022ZJJSK/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1419993245&sr=8-9&keywords=bar+mitts

(Well, better than my clunky ATV ones.)

mtb_frk
12-30-2014, 09:09 PM
Pogies are the way to go for sure. This is my first year using them and they really are amazing. I wish they made a body sized pogie that I could wrap myself in. :) So far I have ridden in the low 20s, with my usual 40-50 degree gloves and have been plenty warm.

I bought the cheap amazon ones for 25 bucks for the mtb and also the real deal moose mitts. The moose mitts are made by a local LBS, so they weren't ready to ship when I ordered them. I got the drop bar specific version. I used them today for the first time and I guess I must not have had them on right, or if I did they are not as warm due to the back end being open.

I wish I would have found these years ago.

dekindy
12-30-2014, 09:19 PM
Pogies are the bomb!

Tandem Rider
12-30-2014, 09:26 PM
Depends on how cold you plan to ride in. PI Lobsterclaws get me down to high teens, add a chemical pack to get near 0. I refuse to ride if it's any colder than that. That's why ski's were invented.

xjoex
12-30-2014, 10:27 PM
Pogies are amazing. I have the Dogwood Designs Pogies Plus
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-1kjo_N9AUv8/UQ3ucxClZXI/AAAAAAAAK6E/YRKZ9zAbpaA/s640/P2020015.jpg
http://robonza.blogspot.com/2013/02/review-dogwood-designs-pogies-plus.html

If it is above 30 I will wear mittens. Something like an OR fleece mitten with a goretex shell over top.

This pic is from two days ago when it was in the single digits. I was wearing light wool gloves underneath the pogies and my hands were warm!
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/--IWN8flk5X0/VJ3nLJRScvI/AAAAAAAAT9Y/wRblrFX4EBU/s720/PC260046.jpg

-Joe

crownjewelwl
12-31-2014, 03:50 AM
If you want the ultimate in warmth, pogies are way way way way way way way way way way way way better.

That said, around here, I can ride 90% of the time in Kinco Ski gloves and 5% of the time in my Swedish army shell mittens. But I usually put on the pogies at around 20. Then you can use regular MTB gloves... and overheat!

Pogies are like magic. For serious. I got some cheapie ATV ones from Amazon to try it out and have stuck with those, but do some research and let me know which ones are actually good, please.

Do I actually have to serve in the Swedish military to get those mittens?

christian
12-31-2014, 06:49 AM
No, you have to spend like $19 on ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Leather-Palm-Mittens-Wool-Liners-Swedish-Military-Surplus-NEW-LARGE-XLARGE-/301459161183?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item46305dc05f

Add a DeFeet DuraWool liner to those and you'll be all set down to at least -4 F.

Veloo
12-31-2014, 07:50 AM
I use the road version - Bar Mitts. Got them off eBay a few years ago. They are better than any lobster glove or combination of gloves with liners. I like the fact that I can wear a much thinner glove with them so I can have better feel/ control of the shifters.
They look dumb - like you are riding with oven mitts. But they keep me comfy in the Canadian winters.

commonguy001
12-31-2014, 07:58 AM
I go back and forth until it gets real cold then it's Pogies or the trainer.
I prefer just a lobster glove with liner but that only gets me down so far.
Have a set of Moose Mitts and the Cobrafist from 45Nrth and both work really well when it gets stupid cold.

The revelate design pogios look really good btw, everything I've ever bought from them has been top notch.

Also have a set of bar mitts for the road bike that work well but pretty much limit you to the hoods which can get old if you're out for more than a couple hours (for me anyway).

cp43
12-31-2014, 08:42 AM
I use these for the coldest riding I do (~5* F):

http://www.empirecanvasworks.com/icebikemittens.htm

I haven't used pogies on my bicycle, but on my motorcycle, with heated grips, they are amazing.

Chris

Likes2ridefar
12-31-2014, 09:24 AM
I use these for the coldest riding I do (~5* F):

http://www.empirecanvasworks.com/icebikemittens.htm

I haven't used pogies on my bicycle, but on my motorcycle, with heated grips, they are amazing.

Chris

I use hippo hands, aka pogies, when it's below freezing on my motorcycle commute. 80 miles at mostly high speed. there is a significant difference of hand guards (block most the wind) + heated grips vs handguards + hippo hands + heated grips.

with hippo hands I can reduce the heat by half.

Today it was 19F when I started and I was toasty warm the entire trip!

I never used them on the bike but after this experience will be putting them on my winter bike for this winter...but it hasnt really been cold yet!

nooneline
12-31-2014, 09:27 AM
I use these fairly comfortably - well, as much as one can be - down to about -20F.

$15 GI trigger mittens from Amazon. Leather palms, quilted backs, and a removeable wool liner. Finger goes in the fingerhole for dexterity (braking or shifting), and then back in the mitten for warmth. Gigantic cuffs overlap any coat arm so there's no cold sneak at the interface.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/81%2Br7rIxiOL._SL1500_.jpg

p nut
12-31-2014, 10:12 AM
I use these fairly comfortably - well, as much as one can be - down to about -20F.

$15 GI trigger mittens from Amazon. Leather palms, quilted backs, and a removeable wool liner. Finger goes in the fingerhole for dexterity (braking or shifting), and then back in the mitten for warmth. Gigantic cuffs overlap any coat arm so there's no cold sneak at the interface.

How do they fit? Looks like only Medium size available. I usually wear a Large.

I like the Pogie idea, but with drop bars, I don't see them working? I see some make drop bar specific pogies, but either way expensive or looks like a pair of umbrellas strapped to the handlebar.

gdw
12-31-2014, 10:16 AM
Are the Amazon mittens actually US surplus or are they Chinese Rothco copies? If they are made by Rothco the sizing is off and the large fit like mediums, mediums like smalls, etc.

moobikes
12-31-2014, 10:28 AM
Those cheapish black fleece Thinsulate gloves found in cheap clothing stores work well for me down to 20F. They are quite wind resistant, and breathe decently. You can add layers over or inside the gloves for colder conditions and they are cheap/ durable, less than $25 usually.

dsimon
12-31-2014, 10:28 AM
Yeah about that how about just dont ride in the cold???????????

rnhood
12-31-2014, 10:34 AM

Excellent info. I like good value and this one checks the boxes.

p nut
12-31-2014, 10:44 AM
Not sure who makes the Amazon mittens. But check your local surplus stores. Mine has a ton of these in stock, in a size Large, for $9, including the liner.

berserk87
12-31-2014, 10:45 AM
I just wear a windproof gauntlet glove with a liner underneath at temps below 20F. I had never heard of Pogies until just now. I don't think I would like them as I like to change my hand position a lot during a ride.

I've tried lobster mitts but they don't seem any warmer to me than regular gloves, and they interfere with the way I like to wrap my fingers around the bars.

p nut
12-31-2014, 11:08 AM
Yeah about that how about just dont ride in the cold???????????

You sound like my wife.

:banana:

gmcampy
12-31-2014, 11:10 AM
Sealskins gloves into the 20's and pogies from Amazon is the intent....hasnt got that colde here...YET, Now I need FEET pogies :)

p nut
12-31-2014, 06:39 PM
Just picked up the GI mittens. The shell is probably a L/XL size (one size fits all I think). Only mediums available for the wool liner. I should have just picked up the shell ($7) and used ski glove liners. The wool is not the softest and can see it get itchy. But can't complain about the price.

Edit: Must have tried on a different size. The shells are sized Med and Large. Medium fits about true to size. Same with Large.

commonguy001
12-31-2014, 06:56 PM
Now I need FEET pogies :)

45nrth wolvhammer Are the closest thing I've found. I can wear a single layer smartwool sock down to about 10 degrees without cold toes.

JAllen
01-02-2015, 08:07 AM
Moobikes and I have the same approach. I went to a liquidation/surplus store and picked up some thinsulate fleece gloves for $3.50. No joke. I picked up a second pair for back up too. I figure if I don't lose any, (which I'm guilty of) I'll be taken care of in glove department for the next 6-10 years for less than $10. They have worked for me in mid teen temps on a 9.5 mile commute.

William
01-02-2015, 08:27 AM
I actually have these for winter paddle boarding but so far they have kept my mitts warm on the bike...

http://neosportusa.com/paddle/product/xspan-glove/

About $35 at the local Dive shop. Grippy, water proof and wind proof. Rinse them out when you get home, let them dry, good to go again.

Willliam

nooneline
01-02-2015, 08:39 AM
How do they fit? Looks like only Medium size available. I usually wear a Large.

They are extremely roomy. Which is probably what helps keep them warm.

oldpotatoe
01-02-2015, 09:39 AM
What is the consensus for cold riding?

I tried nitrile gloves under my winter gloves in 25* this am and my fingers were freezing

Thinking of the new sturmfist 5 gloves or the revelate provides

Thanks!

I use windstoper mittens over wool fingered liners and most days when it's below freezing, I have to take the mittens off, hands too warm.

p nut
01-02-2015, 10:22 AM
They are extremely roomy. Which is probably what helps keep them warm.

Yeah, I went on a ride with them yesterday. Pretty roomy (although the medium I got, I was hitting the end of the mittens--still good enough for my Large sized hands). Kept me warm at ~17 degrees with a fleece liner. Had to take it off after the long climbs, as I started getting sweaty. Then went home to help the wife take the cassarole out of the oven---these things fit like oven mitts!!!

I will say that the cheap ski mittens I bought years ago kept me a bit more warm. And they're smaller. I think these GI mittens may be better for camp outings or if I ever get a fat bike and need to do some serious layering up, these might work better with the extra room for bigger liners.

DoubleButted
01-02-2015, 02:35 PM
Moosemits for me below about 20°. I was out for about an hour and a half Tuesday at -5° and was perfectly comfortable. I like the Moosemits because they are made in USA by my (ex) LBS, and if your hands get too hot you can easily ride and use the brakes and shifters with your hands on the outside (Mtn bars, not sure about road bars).

dekindy
01-02-2015, 04:43 PM
Riding with a buddy today that had received Bar Mitts as a Christmas present from his children. Temps in the mid-30's with a slight wind. During the ride at one of our regroup points, he offered anyone with cold hands his gloves because he did not need them.

dogdriver
01-02-2015, 04:58 PM
Any bar mitt intended for ATV/snow machine use work fine. I don't use them since I have a pair of arctic gloves that keep me warm enough, but $95 for a pair of Pogies seems a little steep.