PDA

View Full Version : ergott Factory Tour

Argos
03-29-2006, 09:18 PM
The family made a road trip to Long Island this past extended weekend for a wedding we had Friday night in Rockland County. This was the first trip home to LI since moving 10 months ago and it was nice to be out from the daily routine, so once the dog was in the kennel, we were on the Road.

Because of all of the people that wanted to see the baby, i was quickly marginalized to doing what I wanted. I rode my bike, had dinner and beer with friends, and that's it.

Terrain wise LI's South shore is.... well.... FLAT. There is always a wind, and in the case of this weekend it was a strong constant 15-20. I rode down to the bay to a 4 mile oval called Hecksher park via some hiking trails (very fun on the fixie) and proceeded to do laps with a smile from ear to ear. This, to me, is more home then anywhere. It is where I started road biking 20 years ago, and as "boring" as it is, I could do it until I die.

I met up with ergott on Saturday, early afternoon. I was shown some beautiful sets of wheels going out to Bluesea, as well as parts waiting more parts so they could journey out around the country.

While eating some pretzels, and refilling the cereal bowl with cheerios (honey nut, of course) for Eric's QC manager (and son :rolleyes: ) we spoke about tensions and offsets, balance of priorities, and quality of products.

This is not a wheel building factory. This is a comfortable place to do what is loved to be done in a dedicated fashion. Like a small frame builder that knows the FIRST name of every customer, or anywhere you really feel the guy has a firm grasp of the tools of his trade, and how to implement them correctly for whatever the job mat be.

More importantly, we got to ride together. Not in a 'Brokeback'/'Provo' way, but just like old times. I brought my 'cross single speed, which is set up as a fixie with tufo Diamond tread 28's and a 42x15. We rode to the park. We swapped bikes. I tried his Ottrott with his new project wheels. Quite nice. He rode the fixie. Hope he liked it, cause those were 'ergott wheels' too.

He dropped me. I dropped him (more :D ). Then we got beer.

It's nice to ride with pals. It's nice to just see pals and have a beer and not care if you are riding or not. It's good to go home. It's good to come home.

A lot of you know we are good friends. I do not mean this as a "push" for his product. Just more so as a clever title and a short story about how nice it was to go home for a long weekend....... And eventually leave, 'cause c'mon, I was staying with my inlaws! :D

Fixed
03-29-2006, 09:36 PM
bro when two long time friends get together it's like time goes back and they are kids again riding to the park swaping bikes racing each other what fun to have a friend . i.m.h.o. cheers

Spicoli
03-29-2006, 10:54 PM
Dude nice to have you back, but you two guy's have to get off the south shore for PETE's sake. If I hear FLAT LI one more time I'm gonna freak! Stop riding to the beach guy's and go north for once. I know we dont have mountains but we do have a crap load of 5-6 minute climbs all over the place. Its like calling LeRonde a flat race. If you stay on the the north shore you cannot do a propper recovery ride due to the up/downs. Please get more routes, we really do have some great options as far as terrain goes.

PS Sorry if it sounds like a rant but I just read both of your post back to back.

PSS Its a shame you bounced already, I think the weather finally is cracking!

ergott
03-30-2006, 07:29 AM
Dude nice to have you back, but you two guy's have to get off the south shore for PETE's sake. If I hear FLAT LI one more time I'm gonna freak! Stop riding to the beach guy's and go north for once. I know we dont have mountains but we do have a crap load of 5-6 minute climbs all over the place. Its like calling LeRonde a flat race. If you stay on the the north shore you cannot do a propper recovery ride due to the up/downs. Please get more routes, we really do have some great options as far as terrain goes.

PS Sorry if it sounds like a rant but I just read both of your post back to back.

PSS Its a shame you bounced already, I think the weather finally is cracking!

I ride the NS, but I still cosider in relatively flat. This is coming from a MW climber. ;)
Keep in mind, when I'm on the NS I'm not racing and usually alone so I approach it much different. If I was in a race up there, I'd change my tune. :D

Too Tall
03-30-2006, 07:37 AM
Thanks, good story and that what pals are allll about.

bluesea
03-30-2006, 09:36 PM
This is not a wheel building factory. This is a comfortable place to do what is loved to be done in a dedicated fashion. Like a small frame builder that knows the FIRST name of every customer, or anywhere you really feel the guy has a firm grasp of the tools of his trade, and how to implement them correctly for whatever the job mat be.

Good write up Argos. This is the kind of stuff that really gets me jazzed. :beer:

theprep
04-01-2006, 05:46 PM
I also took the Ergott factory tour this past Tuesday. Needed to drop off a messed up 404 and Ergott offered to help me out.

The man is looking for PERFECTION with his builds. Mighty impressed with the wheels he showed me.

Nice guy too, could have talked bikes all afternoon. Matter of fact, My 3 hour ride turned into a 90 minute one.

cheers,
Joe