PDA

View Full Version : VAR 380/3C Bottom bracket tool compatibility

Rebel_Biker
12-30-2014, 05:06 PM
I am sure Oldpotatoe will know this one.

I currently have the Park BB facing tool, and I am not very happy with it. For one, the OD of the cutting tool is too wide to face Pinarello frames. I watched the Campy prep video on their site and they used a Pinarello dogma frame and faced it. The campy cutter has a smaller OD and it only cuts the aluminum insert and not any paint or carbon.

The campy NOS tools are in the $700-$1k range. I see the VAR one on ebay for high $300s. Couple of questions:

Will the campy cutter fit on this tool?
Is this tool high quality like campy tools?

thank you

ultraman6970
12-30-2014, 08:24 PM
If potato doesnt kick this one, then just call mel pinto... they must know, they are the US rep for the US. Besides they have the park, var and campagnolo toolsets. The owner must know certainly.

Tandem Rider
12-30-2014, 08:42 PM
Not sure if these are updated from the 80's or not. If not, the Campy and Var cutters are not interchangeable. I owned a Var tool for years and have used the Campy a number of times. The Campy was more accurate.

Rebel_Biker
12-30-2014, 09:05 PM
Not sure if these are updated from the 80's or not. If not, the Campy and Var cutters are not interchangeable. I owned a Var tool for years and have used the Campy a number of times. The Campy was more accurate.

thank you

these are NOS so they are probably the same attachment as the ones you used

i might just bite the bullet and purchase NOS campy ones

Tandem Rider
12-31-2014, 05:19 AM
thank you

these are NOS so they are probably the same attachment as the ones you used

i might just bite the bullet and purchase NOS campy ones

The Campy will require a set of guides for each thread standard you wish to work on. The facer is useless without these inserts and the "key" used to install and remove them from the frame. The inserts screw into the BB threads prior to facing and ensure the facing is actually aligned to the axis of the threading. Most shops with the tool have a set of Italian and English guides.

oldpotatoe
12-31-2014, 05:25 AM
I am sure Oldpotatoe will know this one.

I currently have the Park BB facing tool, and I am not very happy with it. For one, the OD of the cutting tool is too wide to face Pinarello frames. I watched the Campy prep video on their site and they used a Pinarello dogma frame and faced it. The campy cutter has a smaller OD and it only cuts the aluminum insert and not any paint or carbon.

The campy NOS tools are in the $700-$1k range. I see the VAR one on ebay for high $300s. Couple of questions:

Will the campy cutter fit on this tool?
Is this tool high quality like campy tools?

thank you

Don't think so. The only cutters that fit onto Campagnolo handles are Cobra. BUT I don't think even a Cobra cutter will fit onto the Campagnolo handle for the facing tool. For sure for BB taps but not the facing tool.

Nobody in Sante Fe with Campagnolo tool kit?

I read that Cycle Cave in Albuquerque may have it.

Rebel_Biker
12-31-2014, 08:53 AM
Don't think so. The only cutters that fit onto Campagnolo handles are Cobra. BUT I don't think even a Cobra cutter will fit onto the Campagnolo handle for the facing tool. For sure for BB taps but not the facing tool.

Nobody in Sante Fe with Campagnolo tool kit?

I read that Cycle Cave in Albuquerque may have it.

Thanks Oldpotatoe

These are for me. I have a small shop in Santa Fe and we do have some old stock bikes that the BB needs some cleaning up, especially Pinarellos. I don't know what causes their BB to get so dirty when you take the cups off. I think they use some sort of yellowish anti seize. I have park tools right now, but I am not overly impressed with the BB facing, or the headtube reamer and facing tool, especially with Ti.

I did see the cobra on ceeway and thought it looked better. If I do plunk down the money on the campy, is it difficult to get the blades sharpened when they get dull?

oldpotatoe
12-31-2014, 10:09 AM
Thanks Oldpotatoe

These are for me. I have a small shop in Santa Fe and we do have some old stock bikes that the BB needs some cleaning up, especially Pinarellos. I don't know what causes their BB to get so dirty when you take the cups off. I think they use some sort of yellowish anti seize. I have park tools right now, but I am not overly impressed with the BB facing, or the headtube reamer and facing tool, especially with Ti.

I did see the cobra on ceeway and thought it looked better. If I do plunk down the money on the campy, is it difficult to get the blades sharpened when they get dull?

Ceeway is great, I've gotten a few things from them, like BSC BB facing tool guide, Campagnolo cutter, Cobra guide. Good guys, good $, fast ship even tho in UK.

Rebel_Biker
12-31-2014, 10:18 AM
Ceeway is great, I've gotten a few things from them, like BSC BB facing tool guide, Campagnolo cutter, Cobra guide. Good guys, good $, fast ship even tho in UK.

Thanks OP.

If you were starting from scratch. Which BB Facing tool would you purchase.

Campy NOS - 2x price of cobra
Cyclo
Cobra - with campy cutter
Park Tool

oldpotatoe
12-31-2014, 10:26 AM
Thanks OP.

If you were starting from scratch. Which BB Facing tool would you purchase.

Campy NOS - 2x price of cobra
Cyclo
Cobra - with campy cutter
Park Tool

Campag, Cobra, Var, Cyclus .........................Park

Even if you don't use them a lot, good tools are just that.

8aaron8
12-31-2014, 10:30 AM
I would also look at Bringheli tools. Made in Ohio by a great guy, excellent quality tools.

oldpotatoe
12-31-2014, 10:40 AM
I would also look at Bringheli tools. Made in Ohio by a great guy, excellent quality tools.

I think the cutters are made by Silva, another good tool even so.

8aaron8
12-31-2014, 10:46 AM
So they are, but still like you said high quality and a decent price.

Rebel_Biker
12-31-2014, 11:45 AM
So they are, but still like you said high quality and a decent price.

Thank you all for the input. As always, OP, excellent advice. BRINGHELI seems to be in-line with Park Tools, maybe a bit more than the wholesale that I get from BTI.

oldpotatoe
12-31-2014, 11:53 AM
Thanks Oldpotatoe

Tool Grinder in Ashland sharpened all my cutters when in Vecchio's.

witcombusa
12-31-2014, 12:11 PM
If potato doesnt kick this one, then just call mel pinto... they must know, they are the US rep for the US. Besides they have the park, var and campagnolo toolsets. The owner must know certainly.

Give Wayne a shout @ 540-338-8375, he has owned MPI since 2010.
Absolutely wonderful shop in Purcellville, VA.

Rebel_Biker
12-31-2014, 01:08 PM
Give Wayne a shout @ 540-338-8375, he has owned MPI since 2010.
Absolutely wonderful shop in Purcellville, VA.

thank you

Some of those Bici stands and displays are really nice. Wayne is out until next year, but I am interested in getting pricing on them.