PDA

View Full Version : mini v and v brake levers

vqdriver
12-30-2014, 04:54 PM
i'm going in circles in my head. so someone check me on this.

if i use a trp 8.4 with regular mtb v brake levers, i will gain additional rim clearance but lose modulation. kind of a on/off feel at the lever?

is that right?

Jeff Borisch
12-30-2014, 05:23 PM
if i use a trp 8.4 with regular mtb v brake levers, i will gain additional rim clearance but lose modulation.

Correct. I think the modulation of 8.4s is a little too extreme when used as intended with road levers.

I'd be interested in how it works out for you if you try it.

donevwil
12-30-2014, 05:42 PM
Yikes, be very careful on your initial test ride or you may find yourself jettisoned over the handlebars. I'm not kidding.

DfCas
12-30-2014, 07:37 PM
I would expect that you will have more pad clearance. Since full size v brakes levers pull more cable than road levers, they will have less mechanical advantage, so I would think better modulation. Less on/off feeling, but that's just a WAG.

vqdriver
12-30-2014, 07:50 PM
thanks.
just wanted to confirm before buying levers. iirc these use 'normal' cable pull so i guess i'll be buying canti brake levers.

Jeff Borisch
12-30-2014, 07:53 PM
All other things being equal, they feel will be firmer with v brake levers. You will have to squeeze harder to stop. Maybe a lot harder.

But, you won't feel like you are going to bottom out the levers under hard braking.

I wish I could find a lever with pull in between road and normal v-brake. That would be perfect for the 8.4

Jeff Borisch
12-30-2014, 08:07 PM
In the end it's also going to depend on the bike you put them on and the position of the canti studs.

If your pads end up sitting high in the slots, you'll have a firmer feel. If the pads sit lower in the slots they will be more spongy feeling and have a very light touch at the lever. It's such a light touch that you can easily lock up a wheel trying to modulate your speed.

On the road it'll be better because you usually have lots of traction but for CX or gravel I find them a little sketchy.

They are one of those components that you won't know how they work for you until you try.