PDA

View Full Version : Updates to Dura Ace or Ultegra in 2015? 2016?

dziehr
12-30-2014, 12:16 PM
There have been plenty of PSA posts about online retailers and wholesalers clearing out their 2014 groupsets, with pretty sensational pricing on the 11sp DA 9000, Ultegra 6800, and 105 5800.

Are they making space for new groupsets from the big 3? (Campagnolo is the only one I'm familiar with that has new ranges for next season.) Or are they just inundated with OEM stuff? Any word on new Shimano groups?

(And, yes, of course DA 8sp was the pinnacle of performance if you must use STIs, everyone should ride tubulars, discs are for mtbs, steel is real, yada yada yada.)

Joachim
12-30-2014, 12:18 PM
You "only" need an username and password for this.. :)

https://pre-productinfo.shimano.com/login

shovelhd
12-30-2014, 01:10 PM
These retailers are also manufacturers. They have their own line of assembled bikes. This lets them purchase direct and become distributors by ordering many times the stock that they need for manufacture and then selling the OEM parts through the retail outlet. Shimano knows this and turns a blind eye. I would expect the replacement for 9070 to be shown at Interbike next year with GA late next year or 2016. As far as I know Shimano has nothing to replace it with right now. That's not why you are seeing this pricing, and I would not expect it to hold.

oldpotatoe
01-01-2015, 06:22 AM
These retailers are also manufacturers. They have their own line of assembled bikes. This lets them purchase direct and become distributors by ordering many times the stock that they need for manufacture and then selling the OEM parts through the retail outlet. Shimano knows this and turns a blind eye. I would expect the replacement for 9070 to be shown at Interbike next year with GA late next year or 2016. As far as I know Shimano has nothing to replace it with right now. That's not why you are seeing this pricing, and I would not expect it to hold.

Yup. Manufacturers or distributors who 'make' frames(OEM), selling direct to the consumer. Campagnolo turns a blind eye as well or is hampered by European legal constraints. In the US, if a retailer sells at too low a price, the distributor can refuse to sell them any more product. Can't do that in Europe, once a contract is signed.

BUT it happens in the US as well..'retail' outfits that are owned by distributors. One in Illinois, one right here in CO(in Broomfield).

XTR Di2 is new for '2015'...not much else.

BdaGhisallo
01-01-2015, 06:38 AM
If their past record is anything to guide us, you won't see any major updates to DA or DI2 until the 2018 model year. Shimano has always done major group revamps on a five year cycle. 7800 was 2003. 7900 was 2008 and 9000 was 2013.

You will see minor running changes and Shimano will label them with a '1' number, as in 9001 with the slight shifter redesign.

Ultegra usually follows the year after DA and 105 the year after Ultegra.