PDA

View Full Version : Totally OT: Dynafit climbing skin question

Rebel_Biker
12-30-2014, 12:05 PM
Just purchased Dynafit Stoke skis on closeout. Dynafit makes a speed skin mechanism for their skis. The Stoke is discontinued and replaced by the Teton, that is not the same dimensions. Looking all over the internet for the Stoke skins with no success. Other skins can be used but they cannot take the speed attachments to quickly engage the tip and tail on this ski.

Long shot: Anyone have these skins in 191cm?

Anyone use these skis with different skins?

thank you

EricEstlund
12-30-2014, 12:19 PM
Note- my experience is not this this set up.

Those skis can likely take any of the standard hardware skins on the market (tip clip type). I'd venture a guess that you can even order the Dynafit hardware as needed from Dynafit as a replacement part.

If you are a little handy you can likely rig up a system to work (http://www.skimolife.com/journal/2010/12/26/skin-tech-tips-ii-dynafit-mod.html) with these skis and other skins while using the Speed attachment.

Rebel_Biker
12-30-2014, 12:35 PM
Note- my experience is not this this set up.

Those skis can likely take any of the standard hardware skins on the market (tip clip type). I'd venture a guess that you can even order the Dynafit hardware as needed from Dynafit as a replacement part.

If you are a little handy you can likely rig up a system to work (http://www.skimolife.com/journal/2010/12/26/skin-tech-tips-ii-dynafit-mod.html) with these skis and other skins while using the Speed attachment.

Thanks Eric. That might be an excuse to buy a rivot gun. I thought there might be a used pair of Stoke skins on eBay, but no such luck. Maybe the Teton speed skins in 191cm with some trimming will be the easiest. They are $199.

EricEstlund
12-30-2014, 02:20 PM
If you haven't done it before, trimming skins is pretty easy.

moose8
12-30-2014, 02:53 PM
I don't have that specific setup, but I've got the dynafit seven summits with the matching skins. I've had nothing but trouble with attachment setups - the rubber tip ripped when using it when the skin was on the ski, requiring me to use a ski strap to keep it on my ski (I was 12 miles away from the road at the time and eventually the strap fell off and I went one ski with a skin and one without - what a pain) and I'm on my second set of the metal tail clips - they get warped beyond repair when I've used them on a multiday trip. Dynafit is great at quickly sending repair parts, but it's a little annoying having to deal with it and worry about it. In contrast, the black diamond and G3 skins i have have always worked great. I don't know if dragging a heavy sled has anything to do with the dynafit skins failing but it's never caused a problem with the g3s or the black diamond.

It's is pretty cool how precisely they fit, and they are light, but I've just not been won over by the reliability of them as compared to the other skins I've used. I'd recommend get a skin with a better tip attachment system. The tail attachment part doesn't really even matter, but if the tip fails you're kind of screwed.

The stokes are a fun ski - super light. I got a chance to borrow my friends last year and loved how light they were.

Rebel_Biker
12-30-2014, 03:23 PM
If you haven't done it before, trimming skins is pretty easy.

Easy for a world class framebuilder. How about a world class knuckle head?

Just kidding. I see instructions online and it looks easy. G3 even sells a trimmer for very cheap.

Thank you for your help.

EricEstlund
12-30-2014, 10:27 PM
Ha! I'd say it's at least straight forward with some internet coaching. ;)

Dead Man
12-30-2014, 10:52 PM
I'll send you a trimmer fo' free, if you need one. I've probably got a handful lying around.

Dynafit sure does make incredibly expensive cheap crap, don't they? Light, sure... and that's what we buy it for.

TLT5s and TLT toe pieces absolutely revolutionized splitboarding, though.

Rebel_Biker
12-30-2014, 11:21 PM
I'll send you a trimmer fo' free, if you need one. I've probably got a handful lying around.

Dynafit sure does make incredibly expensive cheap crap, don't they? Light, sure... and that's what we buy it for.

TLT5s and TLT toe pieces absolutely revolutionized splitboarding, though.

They do. I was always a resort skier. Going from racing to big mountain skiing. I spent two seasons at Snowbird. I did a lot of boot packing, especially up Baldy.

Just moved to Santa Fe, and really want to explore side country at our basin and Taos. Now that I live up here, I won't feel like I have to chase turns in the resort as much. I still love big descents, but really want to learn mountaineering more.

I scored a set of Dynafit Stokes with Radical bindings. I then got a pair of last year Vulcan boots for about half price. Shocked that the skins are $200, but they will get a lot of use. Great off season training at altitude.

Do you tour in a Dynafit set up?