PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else on Zwift?

Gfi3
12-30-2014, 09:46 AM
Just got accepted to try out the beta version the other day and finally got to test it out last night. I have nothing but great things to say about it so far.

Downloading and updating the software took about an hour.

Connecting took all of 30 seconds and I was riding along on the island of Zwift.

As of right now it's only a 3 mile loop with a couple of segments if you want to see how you stack up against the other riders currently riding, but all the data you could want is right there on the screen.

I only had about and hour to ride last night, but it was the fastest hour on the trainer I've ever had. Looking forward to using it more frequently.

dsimon
12-30-2014, 09:49 AM
I applied but have not been accepted yet

R3awak3n
12-30-2014, 09:54 AM
I am still waiting as well, not that it matters now with a broken ankle.
Looks pretty cool but also looks like it would get pretty boring fast. Maybe as they add more and bigger maps.

Are you using a power meter?

Gfi3
12-30-2014, 09:56 AM
Yes. I think they are only accepting those with ANT+ PM's and ANT+ USB's for connectivity. Smoother connection than I was expecting though. Laptop picks up HR, Power, Cadence and Speed.

ceolwulf
12-30-2014, 10:45 AM
I will be the minute I have a power meter and/or a Kickr.

How is it for graphics power requirements? I wonder if I will need to upgrade my machine. Would be running it on a Mac Mini with Intel HD4000 graphics which are not exactly high performance. (The Mini is hooked to my 50" plasma. I may never need to leave my basement again :banana: )

Gfi3
12-30-2014, 10:53 AM
Graphics weren't amazing to be honest, but I wasn't expecting XBOX quality...

I think internet speed is more important than processing power honestly.

I do think that it will get boring after a few more sessions until they add more routes, but again this is still in beta and just to work out the kinks.

Also - for all you STRAVA users, you can upload the ride as if you were actually riding out on the island. It somehow thinks the island of Zwift exists and shows it in the middle of the pacific ocean. People have already created a variety of segments of course. :eek:

kramnnim
12-30-2014, 10:55 AM
I've been using it for a few weeks. I think the site says that an HD4000 will run it, but I suspect the framerate might not be great. No Mac version yet.

Kind of cool to see some pro riders using it...Laurens ten Dam, Ted King...

kramnnim
12-30-2014, 10:58 AM
The software puts in fake GPS data...the island is real (Jarvis Island) but is uninhabited and nothing like the tropical paradise shown in the game...

carpediemracing
12-30-2014, 11:23 AM
I'm waiting for their "Classic Trainer" module so that I can use my CycleOps Fluid2. I don't have a smart trainer.

My teammate just got on with his Wahoo or whatever last night or two nights ago. He loves it. Cat 1 I think, maybe a 2, but very serious. He said he got the Sprinter's jersey quickly, got a KOM, then promptly lost it.

Apparently the Zwift island is modeled a bit after the SUNY Purchase loop where one of the founders used to do sprints with the rest of us. He's modest in interviews but he was by far the best sprinter on Tuesday nights, when the groups got so big the patrons would split them in two. We had local National Team riders show up, lots of Cat 1s, etc, and it was quite the sprint fest on Tuesdays, and he could beat them easily.

Gfi3
12-30-2014, 11:43 AM
I'm waiting for their "Classic Trainer" module so that I can use my CycleOps Fluid2. I don't have a smart trainer

You actually don't need a smart trainer as I also have the fluid2. You just need and ANT+ PM and USB dongle. The ones that come with most Garmin watches work just fine.

carpediemracing
12-30-2014, 11:58 AM
You actually don't need a smart trainer as I also have the fluid2. You just need and ANT+ PM and USB dongle. The ones that come with most Garmin watches work just fine.

I'm on wired SRM. USB dongle I still need to get.

It's Zpower, according to the previously mentioned sprinter guy:
"you'll need to wait a couple of weeks when we have the Zpower feature available for classic trainers"

fiataccompli
12-30-2014, 01:14 PM
I am on the current wave of beta riders & installed it last night. It's still waiting saying it is searching for various ANT+ signals and if I have time I'll actually hook up the hardware & give it a spin tonight. I thought that I would be able to go through the setup & explore it without actually having the inputs set up, but no dice. I have a 'dumb' trainer but HR, Power meter, cadence (and could have speed if I were to install a speed sensor..which I'd rather not bother with) and I still am not visualizing how it will all work.

dave thompson
12-30-2014, 03:53 PM
I applied but have not been accepted yet

Army pukes aren't allowed! :eek:

Happy New Year Demitri.

Grinta13
12-30-2014, 04:05 PM
(sigh) Waiting, too. I suspect the waiting list is pretty large considering the number of posts here in such a short period of time.

makoti
12-30-2014, 04:51 PM
I just added to it.... looks interesting.

kramnnim
12-30-2014, 05:22 PM
I have a 'dumb' trainer but HR, Power meter, cadence (and could have speed if I were to install a speed sensor..which I'd rather not bother with) and I still am not visualizing how it will all work.

It doesn't need speed if you have power. It just takes your power and bases your in game speed on that.

fiataccompli
12-30-2014, 05:24 PM
Cool...sort of figured/hoped that was the case. I am all about ANT+ portability so I ditched speed sensors other than GPS years ago..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gfi3
12-30-2014, 06:11 PM
Unfortunately as of right now they have assigned a weight of 75 kg to all riders to calculate speed. You should be able to enter your specific info shortly.

fiataccompli
12-30-2014, 08:34 PM
finally tried it. that was sort of fun. it's something i imagined would be a home training option years ago when there were machines at the gym that basically did the same thing. It certainly does wonders for the monotony of riding on a trainer..at least the 1st time out.

I just got GPS points for stray lines around my house...is it somehow creating files with bogus GPS/profiles for some of you?

I'm C. Granju by the way if you happen to see me there

Gfi3
12-30-2014, 08:39 PM
When you save and exit it creates a .fit file in the zwift folder within "my documents" you can upload and view that instead of using the data from your cycling computer.

kramnnim
12-30-2014, 11:01 PM
Some of the guys on the Zwift forum have been doing a 40k/8 lap TT challenge, which I did today. Wanted to do a FTP60 effort anyway, this worked out to be a little over.

...the island is getting to be quite boring.

djg21
01-03-2015, 09:18 PM
Just got a an invite and installed the latest beta, which I'll be using with my Computrainer. Maybe we can set up a Paceline group ride?

kramnnim
01-03-2015, 10:33 PM
The days I "ride", it's usually around 8PM EST...

djg21
01-03-2015, 11:27 PM
The days I "ride", it's usually around 8PM EST...

Works for me. I Like to get on my bike around 7:00 PM and do a structured workout using an ergvideo. Can then try a group ride at 8:00 or so. Pick a day and forum members can indicate they are interested here.

kramnnim
01-03-2015, 11:45 PM
Based on the current weather forecast, I'll probably be indoors all week. :(

djg21
01-03-2015, 11:54 PM
Based on the current weather forecast, I'll probably be indoors all week. :(

Likewise.

djg21
01-04-2015, 02:38 PM
I just did an inaugural ride. I had an interval workout scheduled, and I did that first using an ErgVideo. I then did a couple of laps of the Zwift course. It is interesting. I think it will be fun. The course was fine; I was more interested in the other riders. There was some lag when trying to catch a wheel of another rider and I'd frequently ride through the other rider. Zwift will be fun to simulate race situations.

fiataccompli
01-04-2015, 03:11 PM
Does it model a draft advantage? I couldn't really tell when I rode it. I assume if it doesn't now it will.

kramnnim
01-04-2015, 03:13 PM
Yeah, I think there is a slight advantage, based on the w/kg numbers visible on the right side of the screen.

djg21
01-04-2015, 03:19 PM
Yeah, I think there is a slight advantage, based on the w/kg numbers visible on the right side of the screen.

That was my sense too. I like the prompt to "close the gap" when another rider is in front of you.

SpeedyChix
01-04-2015, 05:35 PM
Just got the notice and downloaded software. It's a bite that actual weight can't be added yet. Without doubt, I'll be the lantern rouge rider.

My PC didn't cut it so I'll be doing PC emulation via the mac. Sure makes the processors work, it's like having another fan on ; )

ultraman6970
01-04-2015, 05:40 PM
Im on crack... not on swift!...

kramnnim
01-09-2015, 06:34 AM
You can now set your weight...from the dashboard after you log in at zwift.com. I can see a difference, takes about 10-15w less to climb the hill section at the same speed. (I'm ~8kg lighter than the previous default 75kg setting)

Also...it took me until now to realize that you can click a fellow riders name in the list on the right, and you'll see their view. Kind of interesting.

Gfi3
01-09-2015, 07:23 AM
Glad they finally integrated the weight component. Thanks for the update.

SpeedyChix
01-09-2015, 08:14 AM
Excellent, thanks for the update. I'll check it out when I login for the next ride.

kfreytag
01-10-2015, 03:47 PM
The Mac version should be out this month (according to Eric, the founder).

It's fun. It's definitely more engaging than monotonously spinning or going through the same sufferfest video again.

There are plans to add a workout mode and mass start events.

Interesting things to come...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

makoti
01-30-2015, 09:08 PM
Set it up & did my first ride tonight. I liked it more than I thought I would. I can't see spending $10/month on what I see right now, but given a choice of courses and the ability to freeze my subscription, maybe.
But, for those who've had it a while - can you adjust anything?
I'd like to check my weight setting. I'd love to mute the program & run pandora. I'd like to see if I can tweak anything to get it to match my garmin which is also reading off the same sensors. I'd like to know what else I can change, but I can't find any way to change anything.
Anyone know?

EDIT: ok, I figured out how to change weight. Can I change anything on the program itself?

kramnnim
01-30-2015, 10:36 PM
Not really, no. Flag, weight... After a while you can change how your bike looks. You can mute with the Windows audio mixer controls.

makoti
01-31-2015, 09:11 AM
Not really, no. Flag, weight... After a while you can change how your bike looks. You can mute with the Windows audio mixer controls.

Can I mute JUST that program? Of course, it doesn't have much sound, anyway. Maybe the faux-birds & Swedish House Mafia would be a good combo. ;)

fatallightning
01-31-2015, 10:45 AM
I'm on a Bkool, which is similar in terms of the multi user experience. The weight thing is interesting. I'm heavy, 190 lbs, and not to sound like a whiner, but I think some of the other users are weight doping haha. I'll hit a 4% grade doing 450w and they'll blow past me. Not just pass, but blow my doors off. On flat/rolling courses I'll usually win the races.

thegunner
01-31-2015, 10:57 AM
to be fair, my teammate weighs about 190 and FTPs around 380 and i can drop him like a sack of bricks when we hit climbs at 1/2 the power. weighing 135 means i can do the same climb at 240 or 260 that he can at 360.

Dr Luxurious
01-31-2015, 02:04 PM
Can't get the damn thing to run
Tried it on 2 machines... :confused::mad:

makoti
01-31-2015, 03:00 PM
Can't get the damn thing to run
Tried it on 2 machines... :confused::mad:

It runs on mine ok, but not great. Jerky sometimes. And occasionally, I save my butt from some sort of crazy looking crash when I start riding at all sorts of odd angles.

kramnnim
01-31-2015, 05:06 PM
Can I mute JUST that program? Of course, it doesn't have much sound, anyway. Maybe the faux-birds & Swedish House Mafia would be a good combo. ;)

Yes, with Windows 7/8, anyway...

Graphics card needs to be somewhat recent (and decent) for it to work.

R3awak3n
01-31-2015, 05:18 PM
Yes, with Windows 7/8, anyway...

Graphics card needs to be somewhat recent (and decent) for it to work.

prob needs to be optimized. It doesnt look that good that needs the latest and greatest card.

old fat man
02-24-2015, 08:30 AM
I'm trying to give it a chance, but boy, Zwift stinks so far. Won't work on my Lenovo laptop due to a graphics card compatibility issue. Barely loads on my new Macbook and regularly loses the ant+ signal to my powermeter. The worst thing is that I can't mute it and listen to my own music or video, or show on the Mac at the same time.

Definitely not something I'd pay for.

djg21
02-24-2015, 09:04 AM
It works well on my Dell laptop, which is 4 years old and has an NVIDIA GeForce video card. I use a Computrainer, and the only thing that has been an issue is the cadence, which reports high frequently.

Overall, it is fun, and is useful as a diversion. I still prefer doing structured intervals using Ergvideos, and then use Zwift when I'm done to get some additional endurance "miles."

FWIW, I'm skeptical of amateur riders claiming to have FTPs close to 400 watts. FTP is the average power one can sustain over an hour. Pro cyclists have FTPs in the range of 400-500 watts. http://www.bicycling.com/training-nutrition/training-fitness/trainingpeaks-power-profiles-cyclists.

Dr Luxurious
02-24-2015, 09:48 AM
finally got it running.

did a few solo recon rides. definitely better than staring at a garage wall.
also did ride with 2 other guys. took turns hammering each other on the hills and sprints. that was pretty cool. an hour went by really quickly and I wanted to keep going but I had to do other things. pretty significant that I actually wanted to stay on the trainer after my allotted time!

a little glitchy with power & speed - pretty jumpy - wattage will regularly spike/dip by 50+. not a big deal when riding solo but it's crappy when riding with others.

One cool thing I noticed: your on-screen legs match your real world cadence. I was doing leg speed drills while riding with other guys. on the hills, my guy was spinning and in the saddle while the others were standing and mashing.

kramnnim
02-24-2015, 10:43 AM
prob needs to be optimized. It doesnt look that good that needs the latest and greatest card.

The graphics are scaled down to match your GPU. My Laptop's GT750M runs in "Medium".

A GTX 750Ti will run High nicely, but you need a bit more to get Ultra. (1920x1080)

Ultra looks quite nice, lots of detail. (stitches between the jersey pockets are visible)

Anyway, I've logged 60+ hours so far, including a 5 hour century on Saturday. Usually I leave it in one corner of the screen and watch tv in another corner.

Oh, and Jens says he will be on in a couple of hours.

Dr Luxurious
02-24-2015, 11:14 AM
including a 5 hour century on Saturday.

Oh, and Jens says he will be on in a couple of hours.

5 hr century :eek: :eek: :eek:

who's Jens?

kramnnim
02-24-2015, 11:56 AM
Recently retired Pro Tour rider...

Or if that was a subtle jab, it made me smile. Not a big fan of his, but know many are.

Dr Luxurious
02-24-2015, 05:09 PM
Oh! That guy.
Kind of assumed it was someone at the company; developer, programmer, etc...

bcgav
02-24-2015, 05:47 PM
It works well on my Dell laptop, which is 4 years old and has an NVIDIA GeForce video card. I use a Computrainer, and the only thing that has been an issue is the cadence, which reports high frequently.

Overall, it is fun, and is useful as a diversion. I still prefer doing structured intervals using Ergvideos, and then use Zwift when I'm done to get some additional endurance "miles."

FWIW, I'm skeptical of amateur riders claiming to have FTPs close to 400 watts. FTP is the average power one can sustain over an hour. Pro cyclists have FTPs in the range of 400-500 watts. http://www.bicycling.com/training-nutrition/training-fitness/trainingpeaks-power-profiles-cyclists.

Definitely some gaming of the system going on, most likely people not being honest and way underreporting their weight to get their W/kg unrealistically high. Saw some guys going steady between 5.5W/kg - 6.5W/kg for way over 5min.

Virtual Dopers...

djg21
02-24-2015, 08:40 PM
Definitely some gaming of the system going on, most likely people not being honest and way underreporting their weight to get their W/kg unrealistically high. Saw some guys going steady between 5.5W/kg - 6.5W/kg for way over 5min.

Virtual Dopers...

I was referring to the post above, and not to Zwift. But I did laugh when I saw someone riding at about 9W/kg for a good long time tonight.

There was a very funny exchange on the Zwift support forum a day or so ago. Someone was complaining that he had the green jersey, but had it taken from him by someone named M. McCarthy who was putting up huge numbers -- the inference being that the numbers were suspicious. Of course, Mike McCarthy is a former pro road and track rider who won a world champion jersey in the 4km pursuit and now works for Zwift. It was a very funny exchange.

Tonight I passed Taylor Phinney. His avatar was standing still on the side of the road, so he likely was just starting of finishing a ride. This is probably the only time I'd be able to pass him!

bcgav
02-24-2015, 09:08 PM
I was referring to the post above, and not to Zwift. But I did laugh when I saw someone riding at about 9W/kg for a good long time tonight.

There was a very funny exchange on the Zwift support forum a day or so ago. Someone was complaining that he had the green jersey, but had it taken from him by someone named M. McCarthy who was putting up huge numbers -- the inference being that the numbers were suspicious. Of course, Mike McCarthy is a former pro road and track rider who won a world champion jersey in the 4km pursuit and now works for Zwift. It was a very funny exchange.

Tonight I passed Taylor Phinney. His avatar was standing still on the side of the road, so he likely was just starting of finishing a ride. This is probably the only time I'd be able to pass him!

Ha awesome. If I run into Mike McCarthy I won't even try to hang!

fiataccompli
02-25-2015, 08:47 AM
Mine continues to work pretty well. Riders ahead tend to dart off in the side and then reappear over my left shoulder but as far as the general idea, function, data display and (most importantly) it being almost entertaining, it works. Some of my glitches are probably due to an old wireless router and less than ideal Comcast speed. There was a huge group yesterday mid-day (EST) perhaps because a lot of people wanted to ride with Voigt. I can say I dropped him on a climb...woohooo!.....but in reality he was probably spinning is petals backwards to calibrate his power meter or letting one of his kids ride at the time-ha!

they have added some video game kind of features that seem really silly to me but maybe they're addressing the crowd they are aiming for

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/02/25/18b545406237894aeddf91299e6c275a.jpg
(That's me in the orange/black and Voigt in polka dots......but something tells me you need more than 199 watts to actually beat a freshly retired pro at...well, anything. But it made for a funny picture)

makoti
02-27-2015, 12:41 PM
Used it again today. It updated before I could start. I thought that they put in a new course, but it appears that they just turned it around & we went the other direction. Fine, but still need more choices.
However, what ever the bug is that tosses you around the road for a few seconds before straightening you up again seems worse. Now, not only do I spin around wildly, but I can watch other riders do the same thing. That, at least, broke up the day a bit.
I'd never know if I was riding with a pro or not. I'd need my glasses on to see the print on the screen & that's not something I do.

Michael Maddox
02-27-2015, 01:03 PM
I've been on Zwift since Day One, and have actually enjoyed it. Switched from Computrainer to a Kickr a couple of months ago and am still liking it, though I spend most of my time using TrainerRoad. The system isn't perfect, but it's a darn good shot at a MMO racing and training simulator. To their credit, creating a large distributed app for such a widely disparate set of hardware is VERY difficult.

We should get up a group ride!

djg21
02-27-2015, 01:15 PM
I've been on Zwift since Day One, and have actually enjoyed it. Switched from Computrainer to a Kickr a couple of months ago and am still liking it, though I spend most of my time using TrainerRoad. The system isn't perfect, but it's a darn good shot at a MMO racing and training simulator. To their credit, creating a large distributed app for such a widely disparate set of hardware is VERY difficult.

We should get up a group ride!

I may attempt a century this weekend. Probably tomorrow AM. I wish the course were longer. Something about laps of a 3 mi. virtual course triggers my PTSD and flashbacks of long races in Prospect Park. At least I can binge-watch something on Netflix.

Andreas
02-27-2015, 01:31 PM
There was a huge group yesterday mid-day (EST) perhaps because a lot of people wanted to ride with Voigt.

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/02/25/18b545406237894aeddf91299e6c275a.jpg

Recognize the names, I was riding then.
Is that really Jens? Common name in Germany and could have been Juergen, Johannes etc. Either way, he was going slow and I went past the crowd on the screen.

Ted was riding on zwift until he left for Spain 10 days ago or so.

Overall it is ok, it has been sub 20F for 6 weeks and is distracting enough.
All I do is steady pace riding, no hard efforts. Still in the top 100 for climbs and loops, so I do not think there are too many people manipulating.

djg21
02-27-2015, 01:35 PM
The pros have the little red/orange jersey icons next to their names.

kramnnim
02-27-2015, 01:38 PM
I may attempt a century this weekend. Probably tomorrow AM. I wish the course were longer. Something about laps of a 3 mi. virtual course triggers my PTSD and flashbacks of long races in Prospect Park. At least I can binge-watch something on Netflix.

I might do the century again tomorrow morning. Some others are starting at 8 AM EST for a metric/3 hours, figured I'd ride with them. The virtual drafting helps some.

And yes, that was the real Jens...he said on Facebook that he would be riding.

Andreas
02-27-2015, 01:43 PM
I might do the century again tomorrow morning. Some others are starting at 8 AM EST for a metric/3 hours, figured I'd ride with them. The virtual drafting helps some.

And yes, that was the real Jens...he said on Facebook that he would be riding.

cool - thanks
But you are from NC - why would you ride indoors???

anyway I may join the "ride", probably will start earlier though

fiataccompli
02-27-2015, 01:59 PM
Well, it could be an AI drone, could be one of his kids fooling around or it could have been him. I only thought it was because he's been promoting Zwift on Facebook and later I saw a post where he said he was going to have been riding (thus a lot of riders glomming on?)

Bostic
02-27-2015, 02:22 PM
they have added some video game kind of features that seem really silly to me but maybe they're addressing the crowd they are aiming for

Please tell me these are not like Achievements or Perks on the Xbox. As in grind out something for hours on end and you get a special bonus. Spin in your 39x17 but the website adds your perk so your avatar moves as if you're in 53x10 (Speed boost!)

Michael Maddox
02-27-2015, 02:37 PM
Please tell me these are not like Achievements or Perks on the Xbox. As in grind out something for hours on end and you get a special bonus. Spin in your 39x17 but the website adds your perk so your avatar moves as if you're in 53x10 (Speed boost!)

You get some of those, plus different-colored jerseys, bikes, and the like. So yeah....you'll love it. :(

But think of the self-satisfaction derived from all that saddle time!

djg21
02-27-2015, 02:38 PM

Sort of. But you do not have to use them. You can become undraftable, or "lighter," or provide a larger draft, or more aero, etc. You can activate the "power up" by hitting the space bar on your PC. They last for Maybe 10-20 seconds. My sense is people tend to ignore them.

fiataccompli
02-27-2015, 03:14 PM
I get those things & don't use them. For me, it's a relatively effective diversion from the inherent drudgery of indoor cycling...and, the cadence of the little climb section with some sprint lines makes for a decent larger cadence, though sometimes I just do intervals and it happens to also be logged on zwift. I'd prefer they ditch the video gamey sort of touches...just a good model & some human-based interactions when you want it is cool enough.

kramnnim
02-27-2015, 03:37 PM
cool - thanks
But you are from NC - why would you ride indoors???

It has been unseasonably cold here. Forecast tomorrow is mid 20's, warming up to just above freezing. Had enough cold 5-6 hour rides this winter.

eBAUMANN
03-01-2015, 03:47 PM
wish i had gotten in on this sooner...looks like exactly what i need to finally start riding the trainer...which i am really gonna need to start doing, considering it is snowing AGAIN here in boston...

Hank Scorpio
03-01-2015, 04:26 PM
I just started yesterday and it seems pretty fun so far. I think one of the problems people are complaining about with power outputs being on the high side is the generic algorithms Swift uses for basic trainers. My power tap wheel needed a spoke replaced so i have been riding on Swift using only cadence and speed from a GSC-10 and it has me close to 4 w/kg during regular efforts. My last FTP test with my power tap was only 325 with a measurement of 3.26 w/kg.

What are the keystrokes to rough house the other players? Anyone come up with any really boss finishing moves?

old fat man
03-02-2015, 03:16 PM
OK, I used it a bit this morning. Fewer drops between the Stages PM and my ant + dongle this time, but still more drops than I get with TrainerRoad. I was just planning to cruise for a bit after a weekend of skiing and an incoming head cold, but I still got roped into chasing down some folks to prove to myself that I could.

It beats not doing anything, and if it's a good motivator to get off the couch, then go for it. For me, I think it'd foster bad training habits.

Andreas
03-05-2015, 12:52 PM
Now that I have used it for a few rides I noticed a flaw I think:
There is a software glitch on downhills.

People are blasting past me when decline is over 2% when I ride at 5W/kg (ftp) - I think it is a weight related issue (145 lbs, but entered 150 for zwift). Just no equivalent to reality.

Uphills seem to be realistic.

I agree with the comment that the screen can distract from the intended workout, just as if you would do an outside group ride (don't do them).

Usually I can find some people who ride at an even pace close to the zone that I want to be in, riding with them prevents me from falling asleep.

Either way, it is a crutch until temps pass 10F.

malbecman
03-05-2015, 04:55 PM
This or something like it might be the reason I finally get some form of power meter. (yes, I know it works w/ fluid trainers but I'd like it to be a little more accurate).

Huge potential here.

dton
03-05-2015, 05:27 PM
I'm on the beta as well, tried it last night but apparently my integrated graphics card (intel 4000) is not up to snub powering a Macbook Pro retina. I wasn't able to find any settings to adjust graphic settings.

It was very laggy and the 'virtual power' reading from my Cycleops Fluid2 trainer was apparently using a vastly different power profile than the Trainer Road one because my power readings seemed to be quite a bit lower (subjectively based off feel).

sandyrs
03-05-2015, 06:11 PM
Just went for the first time on the Mac version. Using a Powertap the power cut off a bunch of times for a second or so. Would be better without that annoyance but still pretty fun, and I'm sure that'll get smoothed out; this is the beta, after all.

I did it on rollers and imagine it would be much more fun as a ride simulator on a trainer, but it was still better than watching tv!

eBAUMANN
03-05-2015, 06:14 PM
I wanna play!

:(

makoti
03-05-2015, 06:28 PM
I wanna play!

:(

Have you requested a hall pass? ;-)

eBAUMANN
03-05-2015, 06:30 PM
Have you requested a hall pass? ;-)

whats that, some sort of double-secret handshake code?

i requested an invite like everyone else...probably a bit late to the game though as I only recently caved and started riding a trainer.

i then emailed directly asking them to have mercy on me and my snow-covered boston brothers and sisters...

then emailed again...ya know, just for good measure

no luck yet...

Hank Scorpio
03-05-2015, 06:30 PM
I like when it trips out and people just start riding in circles or disappearing then re-appearing up the road. I saw a guy ride off the road the other day towards the big stone house at the bottom of the KOM climb. Fun stuff!

makoti
03-05-2015, 07:32 PM

i requested an invite like everyone else...probably a bit late to the game though as I only recently caved and started riding a trainer.

i then emailed directly asking them to have mercy on me and my snow-covered boston brothers and sisters...

no luck yet...

Took a while to get in (I asked in Nov, I think. Took until mid-Jan). They'll send you the handshake with your acceptance email. Don't forget to eat it when finished.

makoti
03-05-2015, 07:34 PM
I like when it trips out and people just start riding in circles or disappearing then re-appearing up the road. I saw a guy ride off the road the other day towards the big stone house at the bottom of the KOM climb. Fun stuff!

Might have been me. I'm told that's because of a bad connection to the server, but it seemed to happen in the same spot on each lap.

MePaleo
03-05-2015, 07:35 PM
I sent a request last week and already got the invite... then I find out my ant+ dongle is USB1 and not compatible. Come on Amazon Prime get the new dongle to me!!

R3awak3n
03-05-2015, 07:51 PM

no luck yet...

really?
I emailed them last week and got an invite in like 3 days. I told em I start Phisical Therapy in 2 weeks and going to be spending a long time on the trainer (this is all true) and they were super nice asked me what equipment I had and sent me the invite.

eBAUMANN
03-05-2015, 08:04 PM
really?
I emailed them last week and got an invite in like 3 days. I told em I start Phisical Therapy in 2 weeks and going to be spending a long time on the trainer (this is all true) and they were super nice asked me what equipment I had and sent me the invite.

I sent an invite request about a week ago, no response yet. Emailed yesterday as well though, so maybe they will get in touch soon? Eh, its all good, I'm sure ill get on there eventually.

kramnnim
03-05-2015, 09:35 PM
Now that I have used it for a few rides I noticed a flaw I think:
There is a software glitch on downhills.

People are blasting past me when decline is over 2% when I ride at 5W/kg (ftp) - I think it is a weight related issue (145 lbs, but entered 150 for zwift). Just no equivalent to reality.

Yeah, their calculations are off...lighter weight riders have a big disadvantage on the downhills. And don't seem to have the correct advantage on the uphills. It was less pronounced when we rode in the opposite direction.

R3awak3n
03-05-2015, 10:43 PM
I sent an invite request about a week ago, no response yet. Emailed yesterday as well though, so maybe they will get in touch soon? Eh, its all good, I'm sure ill get on there eventually.

I find it strange, they messaged me within 24 hours. I am sure they will get back to you, at least the guy I talked to was super helpful and nice.

carpediemracing
03-06-2015, 12:28 AM
Part of the timing of the response might be the equipment you bring to the table.

I was one of the people the "frontman" sort of interviewed with regards to his initial ideas/thoughts, before the investment stage of the project. He described me as "bullish" on the whole concept to another friend of mine. I didn't ask any favors, didn't send any pestering emails, etc. I signed up as soon as they asked for testers. I only got my invite a few days ago. I suspect it was because I have one of the less optimal set ups - no Ant+ powermeter, dumb trainer (Fluid2).

kramnnim
03-06-2015, 06:02 AM
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/cgi-bin/gforum.cgi?post=5461456#5461456

Dr Luxurious
03-06-2015, 09:20 AM
I was on there again last night.

Some guy was doing laps 12-15w/kg consistently.

Wow, dude. You're like really freakin strong, eh? Must be great to easily ride entire pro pelotons off your wheel without even breathing hard...

I soooo wanted to uncouple my trainer's resistance unit an go after him in a 53x11 at 130 revs. But then there would be 2 D-bags on the road so I just finished my workout.

kramnnim
03-06-2015, 09:47 AM
If you have a keyboard nearby, type at him. Some of them are too clueless to realize something is wrong and some gentle prodding may get them to look in to fixing their setup...

sandyrs
03-06-2015, 09:51 AM
If you have a keyboard nearby, type at him. Some of them are too clueless to realize something is wrong and some gentle prodding may get them to look in to fixing their setup...

When someone typed something at me is when I realized how thoroughly Zwift was not designed for riders using rollers :)

Gfi3
03-06-2015, 12:00 PM
I was on there again last night.

Some guy was doing laps 12-15w/kg consistently.

Wow, dude. You're like really freakin strong, eh? Must be great to easily ride entire pro pelotons off your wheel without even breathing hard...

I soooo wanted to uncouple my trainer's resistance unit an go after him in a 53x11 at 130 revs. But then there would be 2 D-bags on the road so I just finished my workout.

What? 12 w/kg isn't normal for you? :banana:

I've seen quite a bit of that myself. Digital EPO!!

old fat man
03-06-2015, 12:43 PM
Part of the timing of the response might be the equipment you bring to the table.

I was one of the people the "frontman" sort of interviewed with regards to his initial ideas/thoughts, before the investment stage of the project. He described me as "bullish" on the whole concept to another friend of mine. I didn't ask any favors, didn't send any pestering emails, etc. I signed up as soon as they asked for testers. I only got my invite a few days ago. I suspect it was because I have one of the less optimal set ups - no Ant+ powermeter, dumb trainer (Fluid2).

How would you be any use to them? You need some sort of ant + or computrainer connection to do anything with the game. I'm not surprised you didn't get an invite if you didn't have the necessary equipment when you applied.

eBAUMANN
03-06-2015, 07:29 PM
I find it strange, they messaged me within 24 hours. I am sure they will get back to you, at least the guy I talked to was super helpful and nice.

i reapplied with a different email address, told em i had a wahoo kickr...6 hours later, I'm in. so yes, it would appear they discriminate heavily based on your gear.

:banana:

R3awak3n
03-06-2015, 08:12 PM
i reapplied with a different email address, told em i had a wahoo kickr...6 hours later, I'm in. so yes, it would appear they discriminate heavily based on your gear.

:banana:

ahahha I wouldnt be surprised.

To their defense I don't even have a power meter, just kurt kinetic and cadence. Maybe they let people in depending on what they need more people to test or something.

Well, glad you got in :D

Hank Scorpio
03-08-2015, 07:15 AM
I was online yesterday morning around 9:30 am EST and everything started normally then about 2 or 3 laps in every other rider disappeared including their times on the right hand side. I can say for certain it made the whole process a lot less fun and I considered quitting and starting up trainer road instead but I remained in hopes that everyone would reappear at some point which they didn't. I have been on for a week or so and it is getting pretty boring.

bcroslin
10-18-2015, 08:24 PM
Dredging this Zwift thread back up. I'm thinking of switching up my training and buying a Tacx Vortex to spin indoors a few days a week. I'm wondering what the status of Zwift is these days now that it seems they've opened up the beta to everyone. Is Zwift any good? Are there enough routes to keep it interesting? If I wanted to work on my climbing skills would Zwift be helpful?

LJohnny
10-18-2015, 08:30 PM
Zwift is ending the Beta and going for a "TBD" monthly fee. There was a survey out to users asking how much they were willing to pay monthly. The lowest choice for the fee was $20...

djg21
10-18-2015, 08:37 PM
Zwift is ending the Beta and going for a "TBD" monthly fee. There was a survey out to users asking how much they were willing to pay monthly. The lowest choice for the fee was $20...

I thought it was going to be around $10/month, as of 10/29. I've been using it since the initial beta opened last year. It has only one course at a time. It currently alternates between the Richmond Worlds course and it own course. You can ride the Zwift course in two directions. It's not really the courses which keep your attention but the ability to ride with others. It's fun.

kramnnim
10-18-2015, 08:53 PM
Dredging this Zwift thread back up. I'm thinking of switching up my training and buying a Tacx Vortex to spin indoors a few days a week. I'm wondering what the status of Zwift is these days now that it seems they've opened up the beta to everyone. Is Zwift any good? Are there enough routes to keep it interesting? If I wanted to work on my climbing skills would Zwift be helpful?

Yeah, it's going to be $10/month.

The group rides are entertaining and the races are challenging. The courses have gotten boring. Sounds like the Richmond course might be going away, not 100% sure on that, though.

I don't think Zwift would help you with climbing specifically...might help you spend more time training in general. You can do the Tacx RLV virtual climbs...

The Proform guy that was selling Vortexes for $175 might have some left.

LJohnny
10-18-2015, 10:20 PM
Apologies, I didn't keep up with the billing developments at swift. Last I heard was the survey info mentioned above.

bcroslin
10-19-2015, 05:55 AM
The Proform guy that was selling Vortexes for $175 might have some left.

Is that here on the PL or somewhere else?

kramnnim
10-19-2015, 06:37 AM
He posted them on Facebook first, but it's hard to link to, he also posted on ST- http://forum.slowtwitch.com/gforum.cgi?post=5732691;search_string=vortex;#5732 691

R3awak3n
10-19-2015, 07:00 AM
Mine won't wrk n the PC, just crashes and crashes. Works on the Mac laptop but too slow and ugly.

Gfi3
10-19-2015, 07:20 AM
I read that they are also going to add custom workouts as one of the additional paid features. That would be the only way I could justify a monthly fee.

SpeedyChix
10-19-2015, 08:09 AM
I used it some last winter and early spring. They are supposed to switch to a $10/mo model in next month or so. Workouts rolling out in beta soon as well.

I found it an "easy" way to get myself to do VO2 efforts, well compared to just doing them or via something like TrainerRoad.

For inexpensive training plans TrainerRoad is hard to beat.

Zwift can make indoor sessions a touch more fun, racing other riders, etc. I'll probably check it out again once I'm forced indoors.

ceolwulf
10-19-2015, 09:10 AM
$10 a month is less than I used to pay for World of Warcraft back in the day. I'm all in for that. I sure hope they have more courses soon though, and a way to choose them. It will keep feeling like a proof of concept until they do. I'm sure they're working on it.

LJohnny
10-19-2015, 10:36 AM
A mobile version would help. With the new large screen phones it's pretty good. I have used trainerroad on a 6+ landscape and it's great.

ptourkin
10-19-2015, 11:13 AM
A mobile version would help. With the new large screen phones it's pretty good. I have used trainerroad on a 6+ landscape and it's great.

Has something changed? I used Zwift on Android last winter.

LJohnny
10-19-2015, 11:36 AM
iOS, should have mention. Not available yet right?

ptourkin
10-19-2015, 11:42 AM
iOS, should have mention. Not available yet right?

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/zwift-mobile-link/id934083691?mt=8

LJohnny
10-19-2015, 11:44 AM
Oh, but I mean an ap that you can actually use to run the training software, like TrainerRoad. The one you mention only lets you see who's online, right?

andyschen
10-19-2015, 11:53 AM
Zwift looks very interesting and fun. but i will need a power meter first...is gonna cost an arm and a leg...does anyone know where i can get a good deal on one? (i am looking for a Stages DA 7900; 172.5 mm please!)

Hank Scorpio
10-19-2015, 12:07 PM
You don't need a power meter. They have estimating software that will use a wheel speed sensor and a know trainer curve to estimate your power. I haven't done any back to back testing but the Z-power seems to read high. Usually the top 3-4 KOM spots are held by non power users. When they start charging I am going back to trainer road.

SpeedyChix
10-19-2015, 12:20 PM
Generally the kickr does read higher than is real. If you're only doing training inside and not concerned about it matching anything else, no worries. Just go for it. You'll get same wattage out of the kickr whether you're using Trainer Road or Zwift.

djg21
10-19-2015, 12:45 PM
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/zwift-mobile-link/id934083691?mt=8

This is more-or-less a remote control only. It allows you to control Zwift and text other riders. It is not a display and you still need to be running Zwift on a PC or Mac.

bcroslin
10-19-2015, 01:25 PM
I'm not too concerned about power or Strava. I just want something interactive to keep me from going nuts on the trainer.

ptourkin
10-19-2015, 01:38 PM
This is more-or-less a remote control only. It allows you to control Zwift and text other riders. It is not a display and you still need to be running Zwift on a PC or Mac.

Got it. I dl'd it last winter but used Zwift via pc. I have an Intel NUC connected to a tv that I use mostly for watching Eurosport (Revolution Series track racing this weekend) but is also great for playing on Zwift.

kramnnim
10-19-2015, 02:45 PM
It's pretty easy to find a uses Quarq for under $500... Used Stages are even less. They had new Rival arms on closeout for $400.

bcroslin
10-19-2015, 05:59 PM
So I installed Zwift on my MBP and it's super sluggish with choppy graphics. Is that normal?

shovelhd
10-19-2015, 06:15 PM
Read the minimum system requirements.

bcroslin
10-19-2015, 06:47 PM
Read the minimum system requirements.

I think I figured out the issue - still a little choppy but not terrible. It definitely feels like a beta.

djg21
10-19-2015, 06:56 PM
I think I figured out the issue - still a little choppy but not terrible. It definitely feels like a beta.

Go into the settings panel in Zwift and drop the resolution using the slider. On my PC, which was state if he art when I bought it 8 years ago, I have to run Zwift at 720p. If I try to run it at 1080p, it gets a little choppy.

Hank Scorpio
10-19-2015, 07:03 PM
I get choppy play too sometimes. I even bought an usb extension because of all the data drop-out I was getting.

inlimbo87
10-28-2015, 11:31 AM
Loving zwift! New workout mode is still a little buggy but there's a lot of potential there.

LJohnny
10-29-2015, 05:50 PM
They are running the Haunted Zwift for Halloween. Nifty.

bcroslin
10-29-2015, 06:36 PM
Waiting for my Bushido trainer to arrive. I can't believe I'm actually looking forward to riding the trainer.

ceolwulf
10-29-2015, 08:02 PM
Just did my first ever FTP test. RIP me.

mtb_frk
12-30-2015, 06:58 AM
It's about time for a new laptop and want to get a MacBook Pro, I think. I'm looking at the 13" with Intel Iris integrated graphics card. I'm just wondering if any one has a newer MacBook and is using Zwift. I know a pc would cost less and have better performance numbers but I want to try something different.
Then my next question will be if my lousy internet is even fast enough to use it.

LJohnny
12-30-2015, 07:38 AM
They just introduced alternate short routes within the main course. Under water tunnel etc

makoti
12-30-2015, 07:59 AM
It's about time for a new laptop and want to get a MacBook Pro, I think. I'm looking at the 13" with Intel Iris integrated graphics card. I'm just wondering if any one has a newer MacBook and is using Zwift. I know a pc would cost less and have better performance numbers but I want to try something different.
Then my next question will be if my lousy internet is even fast enough to use it.

I'd be most worried about that internet... my elderly Lenovo T400 runs it fine.

earlfoss
12-30-2015, 08:06 AM
I am using my MacBook Air and have no problems running Zwift.

shovelhd
12-30-2015, 08:15 AM
They just introduced alternate short routes within the main course. Under water tunnel etc

How do you access them?

I'm waiting for a turnaround on Richmond.

LJohnny
12-30-2015, 08:18 AM
Check out the FB Zwift page, they have a little vid. Basically you choose at the beginning whether you want hilly, flat or surprise course. Then use the arrows while approaching a turn to go that way. The iPad app has updated also to now include a turn action from the actions page. I am waiting on the iPhone app update for this.

It really looks great, specially the underwater part.

LJohnny
12-30-2015, 08:26 AM
Tried to post video, but didn't work. Will try ltr

Okay another try (tapatalk isn't the friendliest to this sort of thing)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0c-29zsK8fY

ceolwulf
12-30-2015, 08:30 AM

I run it on a Mac Mini with HD4000 graphics and it works acceptably but could be a lot better. I use 720p resolution. When going through the forest section of the Richmond course frame rate drops to probably mid teens, it's pretty bad, but elsewhere it's okay. The Iris graphics should have nearly double the performance so I think you would be fine but more graphics power would make a big difference. Really recommend stepping up to something with a discrete graphics card. And unfortunately with the MacBook lineup the way it is now that's an expensive step.

Internet speed isn't a big issue. These kind of games don't use much bandwidth and ping time in Zwift is almost irrelevant. As long as it's stable and doesn't drop out it should be okay.

livingminimal
12-30-2015, 08:34 AM
My dongle came in the mail and opened my account yesterday.
Going to try and go on this morning. It's been in the upper 30s in the morning here in California and el Nino is on the way, so gonna try Zwift and see how it goes.

no smart trainer, just a cycleops fluid. have a power meter though.

Nice that Strava Premium users get a couple of free months.

carpediemracing
12-30-2015, 08:51 AM
FYI on the hardware - frame rate, resolution, that's mainly the hardware (computer, laptop, etc).

If you have power drops it's usually the Ant+ dongle not being close enough to the speed/cadence/power/whatever pick ups. It's that or your connection to the internet is not great.

If all the riders disappear and come back it's because your connection isn't great to the world (not your wireless network at home, your connection from wireless to the world). With a lower speed DSL line this happens to me if we stream something else to a different machine.

I think a lot of people blame the software when it's really a poor internet connection. Not poor (local network) wireless, poor internet.

Now if your avatar ends up flying through the sky etc then that's a different thing altogether.

On my MacBook Pro, Early 2011 according to "about this Mac" and upgraded to 16 GB RAM, I get a stuttering frame rate for many parts of Zwift with default settings. That's the graphics engine in the computer, assuming CPU is up to snuff. It's particularly bad if I'm trying to watch a second clip (like I was overlaying one of my clips and doing Zwift). Even if Zwift is running in the background (not logged in) it uses a lot of the computer, like it would be virtually impossible to type a response to Paceline because of the lag.

carpediemracing
12-30-2015, 08:57 AM
My dongle came in the mail and opened my account yesterday.
Going to try and go on this morning. It's been in the upper 30s in the morning here in California and el Nino is on the way, so gonna try Zwift and see how it goes.

no smart trainer, just a cycleops fluid. have a power meter though.

Nice that Strava Premium users get a couple of free months.

Do you have an Ant+ powermeter or will you need to do a dumb trainer set up?

Regardless it would be interesting to see what you see if you select Fluid2 as the classic trainer and then see how Zwift lines up with your powermeter.

For me, with a non-Ant+ SRM powermeter, I have to select classic trainer (Fluid2 until it leaked, now on a Kinetic Road Machine). For the Fluid2 the SRM consistently read 40-50w higher at lower wattages (50-300+) and 100w higher at high wattages (800-1100w). This means if I was going 200w by the SRM (which is very hard for me to sustain) Zwift would say 155w or so. 300w SRM meant 255w Zwift. It was a built-in 0.6-.7 w/kg handicap, which was fine. If the Fluid2 was cold then the power numbers were bang on.

With the Kinetic it's very close but my SRM is now dying a bit so the SRM drifts pretty quickly. Therefore I can't tell how accurate Zwift is relative to the Kinetic. With a new battery in the SRM (on my to do list) I should be able to see how it compares, SRM->Kinetic.

shovelhd
12-30-2015, 09:17 AM
I just got the Zwift email. Thanks for the heads up. I was hoping for some kind of warmup functionality without doing two workouts and the new flat option looks great for that. I'll try it.

mtb_frk
12-30-2015, 09:29 AM
I have to use a LTE hotspot where I live. I have Verizon and it's been pretty slow when I connect to it over wifi from my phone, like 4Mbps. However my ATT phone I get about 23 Mbps, that's download speed of course upload is slower. The hotspot is about 4 or 5 years old at this point so I wonder if it's age is why it is so much slower than ATT. The nice thing with Verizon is that they have a lot of different data only plans where ATT, as far as I can tell only has one.

kramnnim
12-30-2015, 09:45 AM
I don't think you'll have any issues with 4mbps, it doesn't use a ton of bandwidth.

livingminimal
12-30-2015, 10:55 AM
Do you have an Ant+ powermeter or will you need to do a dumb trainer set up?

Regardless it would be interesting to see what you see if you select Fluid2 as the classic trainer and then see how Zwift lines up with your powermeter.

For me, with a non-Ant+ SRM powermeter, I have to select classic trainer (Fluid2 until it leaked, now on a Kinetic Road Machine). For the Fluid2 the SRM consistently read 40-50w higher at lower wattages (50-300+) and 100w higher at high wattages (800-1100w). This means if I was going 200w by the SRM (which is very hard for me to sustain) Zwift would say 155w or so. 300w SRM meant 255w Zwift. It was a built-in 0.6-.7 w/kg handicap, which was fine. If the Fluid2 was cold then the power numbers were bang on.

With the Kinetic it's very close but my SRM is now dying a bit so the SRM drifts pretty quickly. Therefore I can't tell how accurate Zwift is relative to the Kinetic. With a new battery in the SRM (on my to do list) I should be able to see how it compares, SRM->Kinetic.

Im doing a dumb trainer + a stages power meter.

I am not taking the feedback too seriously. It seems the power looks a bit low for how much effort Im putting in, but my cadence numbers were much higher, I need to play with resistance a bit I reckon.

It was a fun experience, but other than ridiculously cold (by our Southern California standards - high 30s) weather or rain, I don't think I would use it much, well maybe at night if I didn't get a chance to ride during the day...

mtb_frk
12-30-2015, 01:01 PM
I don't think you'll have any issues with 4mbps, it doesn't use a ton of bandwidth.

The weather here has pretty much sucked too warm too ride, not cold enough to freeze up the ground, lots of mud. So hopefully I can get this working, and get some motivation to stop binge watching game of thrones. :)